Couple of questions.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-28-2002, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Hi there. I am currently ttc and I am doing all my homework early. I want a home birth very badly (hate hospitals, doctors, needles you name it.) I just found the midwifery rules and regs and after reading them - I would love to talk to someone who has actually has a homebirth in Colorado. The rules and regs seem really out there and overly strict.

And also - does this mean:

A. The direct-entry midwife qill perform the follwing care for the newborn:

3. eye prophylaxis within 1 hour after birth as porvided by 25-4-303, C.R.S.

That they HAVE to put that silver nitrate crap in the kids eyes regardless?

That would make me sad.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it greatly.
Thanks much!!!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 10 Old 07-29-2002, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All midwives use Eurithromysin sp? now instead of SN. and it is a state law in almost all states, however, there is always (as there is with all vaccines) a religious exemption. Most midwives I know around the country will officially say, yes it is a law, but if you request a refusal will support your desition.
Same thing for Hep B vaccination right after birth, and for Vit K injection and the bath, ect...
Colorado Tends to still be one of the most liberal birthing places in the country don't worry too much about what the laws say, they were written by Dr. and midwives who didn't want to look too hippie, when you actually meet a midwife and ask her questions you will have a better feel for what will happen at your birth!
As an aside, you always have the option to birth by yourself. One of the pioneers in unasssited birth education lives right in boulder, her name is Laura Shandly and her web addresss is www.freebirth.com
good luck to you!
#3 of 10 Old 07-29-2002, 10:15 PM

I had a homebirth in California in '99 and didn't do anything like that. No eye gunk, no Vit K, PKU heel prick... nothing. They don't do silver nitrate any more, for the most part, and use erythromicin ointment if you agree to it.. Which I did not.
You have the right to refuse ANY treatment, no matter what state you are in, especially if you have a homebirth.. There will be no one giving you crap for it, to boot.
If you are in a hospital then you run more of a risk of being perceived as neglectful and hence, the possibility of being reported.
#4 of 10 Old 07-30-2002, 02:14 AM

Terra Richardson might be able to tell you about the laws in Colorado. She's a former midwife and teaches midwifery classes in Boulder. Here's her web site - http://www.home.earthlink.net/~resourcing/

Feel free to contact me if you like. I'm in the phone book.
Laura Shanley
http://unassistedchildbirth.com
#5 of 10 Old 07-30-2002, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Thank you Laura. I appreciate the info. I am hoping to find a midwife that will do my yearlys as well so that I only have go to a reg dr. for my asthma meds. Hey - do you know any naturopaths in the boulder area?

I would love to learn more about the unassisted birth stuff. I think I am too chicken to not have someone other than me and dh there - but I love learning and have been thinking about becoming a doula, or midwife. I really want to teach - but not sure about how much more school I want to do - ya know?

Thanks again.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#6 of 10 Old 07-30-2002, 02:41 AM

It may vary by state, but the drops and Vit K are standard in hospitals here. BUT, most mw I know don't encourage it and simply pass you the waiver to initial that you decline it.

Among many other things...
#7 of 10 Old 07-30-2002, 02:52 PM

I don't know of any naturopaths but you might try calling the Wild Oats Wellness Center. Good luck!
Laura
#8 of 10 Old 07-30-2002, 04:46 PM

A good friend of mine lives in Boulder. I know she has a naturopath that she likes a lot. I will get the name and number for you and post it, or PM you with it.
#9 of 10 Old 07-30-2002, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Wooohoo lunarmomma - thanks much. They are actually kind of hard to find.

#10 of 10 Old 08-01-2002, 02:09 AM

OK. I have a number for you.
His name is Andrew Lang (Lange?)
Phone number is 303)292-8579
Last time she used him that was the number but she said it has been awhile.
At least the name gives you something to go on.
Actually, i recognize his name from here in LA. Think he is a transplant to CO.
Lucky guy.
Anyhow, best of luck... hope it works out for you.
laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page