UC Thread #11 - November 2004 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 204 Old 11-14-2004, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i forgot~ does anyone know of a good baby book that isn't centered around prenatal checkups, birthing at a hospital, how long and big a baby was and when the vaccinations were given, first day at day care/public schools, etc? i'm thinking i may just make my own. what are others of you doing?

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#122 of 204 Old 11-14-2004, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueviolet
Jennie, did I say that? I don't remember saying that. :LOL I have to agree that it does become more normalized the more you do it, like anything else.
Yeah kinda, i just paraphrased into my own words. LOL
#123 of 204 Old 11-14-2004, 07:41 PM

Sprinkle I couldn;t get into Birthing From Within either. i read it this time because I always heard what a great book it is. well I am sure it is a fantastic birth for someone delivering in the hospital or birth center or who doesn't have much trust in themselves and ability. But for me, I dunno it was just ho hum.
#124 of 204 Old 11-14-2004, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ame
for those of you who have had a UC already...do any of you wonder if the next time will be different? *Like maybe you were just lucky and that the next time you might not be so lucky LOL
Ame, you are just a little ahead of me, and I am feeling much the same way. I've been prodomal laboring, and wondered last night if that was "it." I decided to allow myself the luxury of just pampering myself, and got more balanced and centered. In the end, I finally managed to get myself to sleep, and feel much better today. But I think I will feel incredibly relieved when I go into labor for "real" and can get on with it.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#125 of 204 Old 11-14-2004, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancerMom
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer rather quickly. My placenta came mostly out within a half hour, but is still attached (14 hours later) to the inside of my uterus. I feel like it's progressing but just very very slowly. I am walking around with it inside a chux in my underwear because I want to be upright.
Firstly, congratulations on the birth of your daughter

If you haven't called pamamidwife yet, or if your placenta is still hanging on, I got this off the internet for homeopathic remedies. Granted, I am not a homeopathic practitioner, I am just C&Ping relevant info. (I believe I posted the link to this article a couple of pages back).

Anywho, here are some remedies and why they might be used:

Placenta Retained

1.Arsenicum ? with fear and anxiety.
2.Belladonna ? face hot/flushed and red, sensitive to noise, jarring and lights.
3.Cantharis ? burning pains, painful ruination which helps to expel material from uterus.
4.Caulophyllum ? uterus is atonic and flabby, helps the process along. Mother is exhausted.
5.Gelsemium ? is achy, thirsty, weak and exhibits anxiety. Pain runs up abdomen or up and backward.
6.Ipecacuanha ? with nausea.
7.Nux vomica ? with irritability.
8.Pulsatilla ? weepy, wants fresh air. No uterine contractions. Try this remedy when no symptoms are present.
9.Sepia ? bearing down pains from uterus.

hth some, or I hope the placenta has already come out

Amy
#126 of 204 Old 11-15-2004, 04:33 AM

Hi there ladies . I'm in the 2WW, and one of the people in Janet's hb group. I've had two birthcentre births, one full of interventions and one where my waters were broken but no other interventions, and I pretty much did al the work myself. I was happy with my second birth, but felt like I would have like more time to myself after the birth instead of dh and our lovely MW hovering over the baby and I until his cord was cut. I'd love to have a homebirth, but the dh suffers from anxiety and just wouldn't go for it voluntarily. Midwives are an expensive breed as well, and we cannot afford them.

So, I've been thinking of privately planning an UC birth - privately meaning not consulting dh. My last labour was 1/2 of actual active labour, plus 1.40 minutes of pre-labour, painless cxt. I know the next labour would probably be longer, because there wouldn't be any breaking of waters, but what I'm thinking is that I'll send dh off (don't want him at the labour as he doesn't deal well) and labour with my friends and doulas around, and just labour at home so long that bubs ends up born at home...

So, this is the plan, and now I just want to follow this list, you are all very inspirational!
#127 of 204 Old 11-15-2004, 12:56 PM

Hey, everyone, thanks for the replies. My placenta was actually out, hanging btween my legs, and still attached inside by the membranes. I called Pamamidwife (thanks, Pam!!!) and managed to get it to release, but I walked around with it between my legs for over 24 hrs!

Anyway, all is well, and I will post my birth story when I write it, and welcome to all the new mamas! This list is growing so fast!!!
#128 of 204 Old 11-15-2004, 03:52 PM

Congratulations, DancerMom!!!
#129 of 204 Old 11-15-2004, 04:36 PM

Congrats, Dancermom! I'm glad it all worked out. Looking forward to your birth story!

Welcome Claudette! I hope you do find yourself pregnant and I also hope you get the very birth you want.

Jenniebug and Sprinkle Pocket -- I felt the same way about Birthing from Within. It did inspire me to draw a fun picture, but I mostly skimmed through the rest.

Sprinkle -- I'm so glad telling your family went smoothly! I know how stressful that can be. To be honest, I can't say I'm looking forward to seeing our families over Thanksgiving and fending off their reasons on why we shouldn't have a homebirth (they'll never find about our uc -- well, maybe after the fact). You're also very lucky your dh is so on board. That must make it so much easier.

Laura -- sending you healthy-labor vibes. (You could go any day now, right?) Positive energy your way...

Well Mamas, here's a question I'm very curious about -- do you think women who decide to uc have less pregnancy-related ailments (like aches, pains, and sickness?). I ask because you all seem like a very healthy bunch. It'd be interesting to hear if there's a correlation...I imagine women who uc, also take more responsibility in other areas of their lives, too. What do you think?

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

#130 of 204 Old 11-15-2004, 10:51 PM

I think we have less ailments overall because we all firmly believe that pregnancy is a natural part of life and not an illness to be treated. I also try not to dwell on the uncomfortable parts...unless it can get me an extra massage from dh ... but instead concentrate on the amazing miracle I have the privilege to help create.

I'd like to think I take better care of myself, but I'm not so sure that's the case...I just love chocolate and have a healthy sweet tooth

Stacey
#131 of 204 Old 11-15-2004, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateSt.
Laura -- sending you healthy-labor vibes. (You could go any day now, right?) Positive energy your way...
Thank you Kate. I am technically term now, but barely. Since my other girls came right around 40 weeks, I expect to go at least another 2-3 weeks, but I would be really happy if I did go any day now. I'm encouraging this baby to come as soon as he or she feels cooked, and praying for strength and patience nightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateSt.
Well Mamas, here's a question I'm very curious about -- do you think women who decide to uc have less pregnancy-related ailments (like aches, pains, and sickness?). I ask because you all seem like a very healthy bunch. It'd be interesting to hear if there's a correlation...I imagine women who uc, also take more responsibility in other areas of their lives, too. What do you think?
I'm not sure. It's possible that I would feel worse if I were under someone's care. But I must admit to feeling pretty crappy throughout this pregnancy. Still, I am technically quite healthy- no edema, no spilling glucose, protein, or ketones, no blood pressure issues. So I shouldn't complain so much. I am really very blessed.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#132 of 204 Old 11-16-2004, 08:41 AM

I have Grave's disease, am very overweight, and anemic. The last one we discovered after our UC. And I'm a bleeder, too! I guess my boxing career is over...lol
None of these issues really concerned us, not until afterwards, when we asked our Ped. to double-check our baby's bloodwork, and we discovered she has an issue with her thyroid as well. Apparently the PKU test checks thyroid levels, but because the test is done so soon after birth, Sydney was still carrying some residual hormones from the placenta. Since we checked again after 1 month, we were able to she her thyroid working (sort of) on its own. Now we need to check our 21 mo bloodwork for probs. YIKES!
Warmest Regards,

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#133 of 204 Old 11-16-2004, 01:20 PM

Wow. So it's pretty amazing how much I cannot remember about my first week postpartum with my first daughter. That first week is such a daze. So I have a few questions and wanted to gather your experiences.

How long did it take for your uterus to return to normal size?

I think I have a couple tears and it is now excruciating to pee. Any suggestions? They're fine otherwise. I am putting Lansinoh on them before I go and that has helped tremendously. Also, my friend is bringing me stuff to do herbal sitz baths today. I got stitched with my daughter so I have no idea what it's like to let tears heal on their own. Everything looks pretty good, though.

I just changed my daughter's diaper and her cord stump has come off. It seems so early...she's 3 1/2 days old. My older daughter's came off at a week, and I thought that seemed a little early at the time (I can remember it because it happened after the first hazy week) so I am just really surprised at how quick it let go. It looks pretty much the same, though. What's the earliest any of yours have come off?

I think that's it for now. Birth story still to come!
#134 of 204 Old 11-16-2004, 01:56 PM

DancerMom,

Are you using a peri bottle when you pee? That was the only thing I could do w/my son's birth that would help the burning. I have since bought 4 as they were such a godsend.

You can find them in medical supply stores.

hth
Amy
#135 of 204 Old 11-16-2004, 03:41 PM

Dancermom, I haven't paid any attention to the size of my uterus so I can't help you there. ... I have never had any tears, but I have had skid marks, and they burn badly when you pee too. I don't know what else to suggest except spray/squirt warm water on while peeing. ... My first three kids' stumps fell off around three days. The last one took longer, about five days, but I'm sure that's because we got it wet. (She had a poo explosion, all over everything.)

Kate, I did have a lot of tiredness and nausea this pregnancy, as with my others. I also had cramping and hip pain. I just didn't talk about it, because, well, it's not that interesting to me. I don't think I'm intrinsically healthier than most people. I do think that if I was in the medical system I would appear to be less healthy than I am, and that I would come to perceive myself as unhealthy, would worry about it and treat it, and that this would in itself make me unhealthy. For instance, women with an above-average amount of fat on their bodies are treated as pathologic by the medical community, and they believe it and stress out about it and try to do something about it and end up becoming neurotic about it, and that does affect their health.
#136 of 204 Old 11-16-2004, 05:14 PM

Dancermom, I had a small tear too...the pain of peeing was worse than any part of my labor, by far. I had the peri bottle, but I also found for the first few days that I was better off getting into the shower. I would let the water run on me first then start to pee and let it wash off. That was a life saver! Then I found that using slightly warm (not hot!) water in my peri bottle made that much more comfortable. As for healing, I think all the showering may have helped, but I healed pretty quickly, like 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. Someone suggested using honey on your tears on one thread so I plan to have that ready if need be this time.
#137 of 204 Old 11-16-2004, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Mama
Someone suggested using honey on your tears on one thread so I plan to have that ready if need be this time.
Make sure it is raw honey, not just plain ol' honey.

Dancermom, do you want an herbal infusion for your peri bottle? Here is a sitz and/or peri recipe from Aviva Romm's book, "Natural Health after Birth".

Herbal bath I: Postpartum Delight

2 oz comfrey leaves
1 oz calendula flowers
1 oz lavender flowers
1 oz sage leaf
1/2 oz myrrh powder
3/4 c sea salt

Mix together the herbs. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Turn off the heat and place 1 oz (approx 1 large handful) of the mixture in to the pot. Steep, covered, for 30 min. Strain the liquid w/a fine-mesh strainer and discard the herb material.

Add 2 quarts of the liquid to the tub along w/the salt. Reserve the remaining liquid for another bath, for compresses, or for a peri bottle.

hth
Amy
#138 of 204 Old 11-16-2004, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, Amy, I'm mailing out your syringes today. I've also included a lavender top vacutainer tube. Try to get some blood in that tube right away (it should be filled about 1/3 of the way with blood in order to type it), too, because if baby is positive and you're wanting Rhogam, they'll need some of the baby's blood and you can give them that. It will save them from poking the baby later on.
#139 of 204 Old 11-16-2004, 09:13 PM

http://thesillingspage.tripod.com/

I finally finished it! I posted this link at the front of this forum- but wated y'all to see it, too!

Enjoy

Warmest Regards

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#140 of 204 Old 11-16-2004, 10:13 PM

You are so sweet

I was going to ask my ex-mw for that purple test tube thingee for that same reason. Although, I don't think she was going to help me out on that front.

When I fill up the tube 1/3 of the way, what do I do w/it? Fridge? And how long can I wait before I get it to the hospital for testing? I know I should turn it back and forth to get that gooey stuff on the bottom to mix w/the blood.

Thanks so much Pamela!!
Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife
Hey, Amy, I'm mailing out your syringes today. I've also included a lavender top vacutainer tube. Try to get some blood in that tube right away (it should be filled about 1/3 of the way with blood in order to type it), too, because if baby is positive and you're wanting Rhogam, they'll need some of the baby's blood and you can give them that. It will save them from poking the baby later on.
#141 of 204 Old 11-17-2004, 02:22 AM

amyjeans... that's an awesome story! I totally know how you felt, you described your story so well.
#142 of 204 Old 11-17-2004, 10:12 AM

Great story Amyjeans!

Stacey
#143 of 204 Old 11-17-2004, 12:08 PM

Awesome birth story, Amyjeans! Thanks so much for sharing it - it made me tingly. I especially liked the comment from God.

#144 of 204 Old 11-17-2004, 12:36 PM

That was such a beautiful story amyjeans I made my husband read it as well.

Amy
#145 of 204 Old 11-17-2004, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When you put the blood in, just turn it over and over a few times, from bottom to top, to mix with the heparin stuff. Then, leave it at room temperature. You can leave it for 72 hours before it goes "bad".
#146 of 204 Old 11-18-2004, 03:27 AM

I haven't been here in a while but I just wanted to say CONGRATS! to all the new mommas with babies and GOOD LUCK to all the mommas with babies to come!!

My little chick is growing like the proverbial weed, and better stop doing it so fast before she makes her momma cry!!
#147 of 204 Old 11-18-2004, 02:43 PM

I now understand why a lot of the UC mamas are also UP mamas! I had a mw appt two days ago and then went to a group (with free food and grocery money!) for pg mamas run by public health nurses. They got me freaked out! My baby is transverse and loves it there! I never realized that that was why I wasn't feeling heavy but why I am so large. The mw said they would send me for another u/s to check the baby's position and the public health nurse says "oh, you'll have to get a c-section". I was not even concerned about baby's position before this. I don't want a u/s, I only took the first one because I was a lot more pg than I thought, two totally normal and on-time menses, and wasn't at all sure of dates. Why do they need to know this? It only instilled fear and worry where there wasn't any before. I still have ten weeks, the baby has lots of time to turn around. I started worrying that maybe there is something blocking the bottom of my uterus, like the cord, and that's why baby never goes down there. Thankfully, dp reminded me that everything will be okay, that I do not want to go to hospital, that I should not let their fears affect me. I feel better but ... wha!!!
More incentive to visualize and pray for the birth I know I can have.
I need to remind myself of the benefits of this side lyin' baby. I don't have a sore back and I don't have bladder pressure. My lungs are more squashed and that makes me breathe more deeply and consciously. The babies movements are so much more visible and the baby is easier to play with. I can't really believe that my baby won't come out, I don't think that's in the cards for us. I do wonder if this means that the baby will be a crazy sideways, kicking everyone in the bed, sleeper!!!!
#148 of 204 Old 11-18-2004, 04:15 PM

Feel at peace mama. You sound very in tune with yourself and your dear baby. Talk that baby down into the right place. You say you have 10 weeks? That is lots of time. Remember doubt and fear do not help. Confidence in your body and baby! Like you said, you can't really believe your baby can't come out. Thoughts are powerful, think that baby into the space. There are a few sites on optimal positioning if you do a search, but I believe faith in your birthing ability and positive communication count for the most success.
Gentle joyful birthing to you!
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#149 of 204 Old 11-18-2004, 04:25 PM

Hello wonderful mamas! I have been reading and thinking of you all every day. I finally had a period and am now anxiously awaiting to see if this will be a normal length cycle. I am currently at cd23 and keeping my fingers crossed that it will not be a short cycle. Dh and I would really like to try and conceive again once I have normal cycles. I have been doing well lately. My ups and downs have not been so drastic. I feel the saddest at this time of the month as tomorrow my sweet babe would be four months old. It is hardest when I think of those milestones. I try not to think about what cannot be and just hold her spirit in my heart and cherish that I had her. I truly believe that I will meet up with her again. It makes me kind of giddy thinking that her spirit may even come to me in another baby, but whenever or however I love her. I am taking extra good care and have started journaling daily. I have been writing so much! It feels wonderful. I feel much more aware and intune with myself and my family.
Looking forward to joining the pregnant ranks again soon!
I am still undecided as to whether I will up as well as my plans for uc. I am leaning towards up, as I am afraid it would cause more worry, but I will not make up my mind now, just going with the flow and see what my body and baby (please!) tells me.
Love to you all,
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#150 of 204 Old 11-18-2004, 05:35 PM

M2L -- I couldn't agree more with Brandi. Do trust your body -- not the "experts". In fact, your post is making me rethink going to my mw "one last time" to have her check the positioning of my baby. What good would it do, really? It would only make me worry. And I have to believe (as you do) that baby is in the best possible position and knows how to be born. (((HUGS))) however, for the prenatal scare. You DO know what's best.

Brandi -- I was so happy to read your update. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that your cycles become normal very soon. I do so believe that you sweet daughter will come to you again -- I believed the same thing with my miscarriages. I'm sure you've read the story "Spirit Baby" -- it brought me a lot of comfort and confirmed what I already suspected, that if something happens to your baby before he/she is born, his/her spirit will come to you again through another baby. You sound to be in a very good place. I also find journaling to be quite therapeutic (and a way of communicating with my baby). You are a strong mama.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page