DH wants proof home birth is SAFE! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2002, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not pregnant yet, but am looking into the option of a home birth for the next one. It is in my heart, but I do have some what if's that a midwife can decied if I should or shouldn't do a home birth... Such as GBS + last time! Both of mine were QUICK births dd induced, (yeah I learn my leson,) at 39wks 6 hours of labor, would have been MUCH less but was given an epidural at 9.5 cm! ds was natural 100% at 41 wks and only was at hospital 30 min before him due to only 2.5 hours of labor (when I say quick labor I mean active labor, early labor is LONG 6 weeks with dd and 2 weeks with ds!) and have thought of an OOPPSS home birth might work (even told dh!) But I am looking into a home birth where I don't have to call the hospital and such... Does anyone have good links for a MAINSTREAM DH who likes proof for everything???:

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2002, 11:29 AM

Hi Katrina, from another Katrina who's husband is not sure of the idea of home birth. We did decide on a hospital birth but only because we live in an apartment and found a very progressive hospital and are working with two midwives who do most of their births at home, but work out of the clinic too. They will be attending our birth, so it was a good compromise, but I still want to consider home births for the future, so I've been looking for information for DH.
You might check out this link
http://www.changesurfer.com/Hlth/homebirth.html
which lists many resources/studies about the safety of home birth, most are from other countries, and you would still have to locate them, but its a good place to start for information from things like medical journals. This is another good link
http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/5510/studies.html
or just search the web for Home Birth Safety and you'll come up with lots of information.
Hope some of this helps.
-katrina

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will look at those links later (once kids are asleep tonight!) I am surprised that this is the first place I've seen more Katrina's on here than anywhere else... hmmm, maybe the "Katrina" name has something to do with wanting more natural stuff?
Old 08-30-2002, 02:22 PM

Sheila Kitzinger has a great book simply called "Homebirth" there are quite a few stats from the Netherlands (I think) where there are as much as 50% homebirths. The facts are astonishing. After reading this book my dh was much more willing to homebirth. Also after talking to the midwife about it he was more confident about the idea. I did find other stats here and there and would quote them to him.
Since then we have had 2 babies at home and my dh is an avid homebirth supporter!!! Neither of us would do it any other way. We are expecting our 4th and last in Feb and will be having another homebirth. I cannot express to you how different and beautiful my homebirths were compared to my first, which was in the hospital.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:26 PM

You may want to remind your husband that BIRTH itself is not an assured safe act. I think that finding infant mortality rates that compare attended homebirth to hospital birth, they would be similar.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:29 PM

Whoooo doggy! Shelia Kitzinger is a great recommendation--her current revision of "Homebirth" is called "Birth Your Way". (Ha ha, because Shelia really thinks YOUR way should be the home way, but it's really not that forceful of an opinion--it's just funny because it's the same book as her "Homebirth" book, just revised, redone, and retitled.)

Another good tactic:

When I was debating about home vs. hospital, I made myself ask complete questions and to voice complete fears.

Like this:
Oh I want to be in the hospital, it's safer.

Why is it safer? What will happen during birth that would be unsafe? I could hemmorage. What would I do if I hemmoraged at the hospital? I'd hope my doc took care of me asap (in 1976 my mother, for example, was hemmoraging in the bathtub, alone, yelling for the nurses who couldn't hear her.)

What about a hemmorage at home? What can a midwife do? How close is the hospital? How fast do you die w/ a hemmorage? 60 seconds? or 10-20-30 minutes?

What about a blue baby being born? Who can help that? Midwives carry oxygen & can ressucitate newborns until you get to the hospital.

What about your hospital's neonatal intensive care unit? Not all nurseries can handle all problems--my cousin's GBS + 1st baby was born in a hospital. The PARENTS noticed something was wrong w/ the baby (blue 1 hr pp), not the medical staff, and the hospital (hi-quality urban one) wasn't fancy enough to handle the life-threatening situation.

What if that baby had been born at home? The parents are still the ones who would've noticed the blueness. The ambulance would've taken the baby to the Children's hospital, just like the ambulence did from the birth hospital.

AND then ask, what if the above scenario WOULD"VE been a home birth? The mother wouldn't have had her bag ruptured early on. She wouldn't have had countless vaginal exams (THE BEST guarantee of initiating group b strep infections) or a fetal electrode on the scalp (again, inviting the infection into baby's head)

Jeez.......do I ramble on!

Main point: DH should clarify and examine his fears. I'm sure his main worry is that he doesn't want you or baby to die. HOW would you die? How much is dependant on LOCATION, and how much is dependant on the caregiver herself? A dumb-ass doctor will mess things up no matter what building (hospital, your house, my house) he's in.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:35 PM

There is a lot to be said for people doing things that are 'normal.'

Eating at McDonald's is normal. Bottlefeeding is normal. Hospital birth is normal. We decide these things are normal because that's what we know.

So it's time to normalize home birth, and a great way is with this book:

The Baby Catcher, by Peggy Vincent.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...382581-6743936

It's a midwife's account of her career first as a L&D nurse and then as a midwife attending homebirths. By the end of the book, you think that wrapping recieving blankets in tinfoil and putting them in the oven to warm while mom is pushing is TOTALLY NORMAL.

AND my DH is reading it, and it's the first birth thing I've been able to get him to read in 3 years. It's cool.

And when homebirth isn't seen as such a granola wierdo new-life crazy maniacs option, but as a totally possible option, THEN you and your DH can have a discussion based on reality and facts, rather than apprihension about "wierd organic dredlock crystals homebirth" stuff.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:20 PM

A little OT...just wanted to mention that being GBS+ is not always a bar to homebirth. I have GBS and will be having a homebirth any day now--my MW will bring antibiotics (shots have been shown to be just as effective as a constant IV). There was also a thread around here a couple of months ago about a GBS+ momma who convinced her MW and backup OB to go without antibiotics, and instead keep a close watch on the baby for signs of GBS infection.
Good luck convincing your DH!
Old 08-31-2002, 08:42 AM

Silly me, I forgot to share my personal experience. For I am one of those "But what if's"

My dd was born at home, attended by 2 CNM's, and was born with very heavy meconium. My water didn't break until she was on her way out, so (luckily) there was no time to transfer to the hospital. The midwives carried oxygen with them, so she had oxygen before her APGAR's were even done. One was taking care of the baby, the other wa on the phone with the doctors and hospital and I was in the shower. We drove her to the local hospital in our car with a midwife in back administering oxygen the whole time. When we got to the hospital, they shortly realized that they couldn't provide the care that she needed and called the university hospital to come and get her. She was one of those worst case scenarios and required a heart/lung bypass machine for the first week (but so do babies that are born in the hospital with the same problem), but eventually she got better and came homes after 3 weeks in hopsital, doing just fine. The medical staff at the hospital all agreed that he being born at home did not negatively affect her condition or treatment, we actually think that it was beneficial to her that she had a natural birth and time to bond with us before her surgery.
Old 08-31-2002, 10:20 AM

I also wanted to throw in my 2cents that Dr Sears "Birth Book" is very non-confrontational but really lays out the pros & cons of common hospital procedures, like the real description of how an epidural is administered, etc. I think it might impress some DHs bcz here is a Dr who had every machine known brought to the house in case his wife needed it for their 1st home birth, talk about wanting it "safe."

Also, the point made about what is "normal" is excellent. If we didn't assume normal=safe, then maybe DH would be scared to send you to the hospital & looking for proof of its safety. To me I think that the hospital setting should have to prove itself just as much as the home!

I also recommend "A Good Birth, A Safe Birth" by Diana Korte & Roberta Scaer. It is not at all a "homebirth book" instead it fully discusses the risks involved in going to the hospital for an obstetrical birth. I read it for a doula class & it scared the pants off me- might be just want your DH needs

blessings, maria
Old 08-31-2002, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you EVERYONE! We were talking last night and I mention since our second one came so fast we might end up having an accidental home birth... I told him that he could "catch" the baby and everything... He was really starting to excited about that. So if it comes down to money/insurance, then the planned accidetal home birth is okay!!! Hey step one! I mean back in 1998 we BOTH got our EMT-B and KNOW how to deliever a baby in the back of an ambulance! We still have the book to refresh up on... So unless we get different insurance that will cover a home birth, that is our plan for now. We love our Family Prac. he left his practice in the middle of patients to deliever ds at the hospital! Who knows, he might tell me to go for it! Will talk to him after I get pregnant though!

Thanks again... I think the more I play up that he wasn't able to be there for ds birth because he was off in the WAR, the more he likes the idea of him doing some of it!
Old 09-07-2002, 12:21 PM

someone from homebirthing in my practice. Over the past many years, i have developed a vaginal wash/very sloooow douche & my clients who have done it, have always tested negative after using it/doing it over a certain time frame. I also keep a watchful eye on babe & stay in close contact with all my postpartum moms & babes. I also do not perform many if any vaginal exams during labor (have done lots w/out checking for dilation) & definitley keep my hands out if water has broken! karen of BirthTender
Old 09-18-2002, 12:30 AM

Dearest Mothering Friends:

W/O getting technical or academic, if anyone ever questions the safety of homebirth, just tell them that this conversation would not be taking place if it wasn't safe.

The human race would have died off long ago if hb was not safe.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:56 PM

right on Miriam!!

mama katrina, you might also want to get the video "Gentle Birth Choices" (I check it out of our library or you can by it on line.)

Mostly birth center births, but a wonderful home birth too and it has commentary between the births with statistics, etc... Dr. Marsden Wagner specifically addresses the question of 'is it safe?' with regards to midwifery care.

My husband was already behind my choice of homebirth for #3, but this helped him as well.

good luck
Old 09-18-2002, 04:28 PM

Just an idea, if you *do* end up in the hospital, DH can still catch the baby! DH caught both of ours in the hospitals ~ he loved it sooo much he was ready to go door-to-door volunteering for other birthing moms! His biggest speils to expecting dads included the benefits of breastfeeding and baby catching! (had he not had a braintumor when #2 came along, I coulda convinced him to do homebirth ~ he didn't feel comfortable as he couldn't drive and his judgement was a bit off!)

I'm another one of those who likes to remind people that if not for breastfeeding and homebirths none of us would be here!

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 09-18-2002, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mrzmeg- could you tell me more about the antibiotic shot. I have never been tested before (first one was preterm second was at home) and this time I will be tested but had planned not to recieve treatment if I am positive. I could live with a shot though and if it made our exit from the hospital easier. . .
Sorry to get off topic

I recommend the book
"The Five Stabdards of Safe Childbearing"

It not only hails the saftey of homebirth but goes also talks about the dangers of being in the hospital and sites current research to back up everything. tons of studies. Technical stuff. men like that . Did you know that car birth has the lowest infant and maternal mortality rate. (Probably because it moves along unhapered and it is really hard to get in a lithotomy positon, most cords aren't cut and no one is pulling the plecenta out) Just one of the intresting facts in the book.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 09-22-2002, 06:52 PM

http://www.gentlebirth.org/ronnie/homejjg.html
Try this one, too. It's great!
Old 09-26-2002, 06:01 AM

in spiritual midwifery by ina may gaskin there are compiled statistics you can use for comparison.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:09 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I repeat information...

I'd say that the burden of proof is on your husband to prove that hospital birth is safer. He won't be able to.

http://www.gentlebirth.org/ronnie/homesafe.html#safety
http://www.midwifery2000.com/bib.html

and of course Henci Goer's Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities (expensive, but if he wants evidence he'll find it there), and A Good Birth, A Safe Birth by Scaer and Korte.

Here are some other links he might find interesting -- they are not "proof" but commentaries on the ramifications of medicalizing normal birth:

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...ogyinbirth.asp
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...nformation.asp
http://www.birthpsychology.com/messages/contents.html
http://www.birthpsychology.com/birthscene/otoday4.html
Old 09-26-2002, 01:42 PM

Oh yeah, and you mentioned he's mainstream -- a few of those articles you might want to copy and paste into a different form for printing -- although they are based on scientific fact, he might be put off by the fact that they are sponsored by sites that advocate homebirth in the first place!

Here is an excellent mainstream source for information:
the main site: http://www.pregnancy.about.com/
And some relevant articles:
http://pregnancy.about.com/gi/dynami...Fhomsafty.html
http://pregnancy.about.com/gi/dynami...homebirth.html

Marsden Wagner, by the way, is a great place to start, because he is a doctor and he is so extremely credentialed. He was the director of women and children's health for the World Health Organization, and his articles have been published in medical journals. Also, you might check out any books by Michel Odent -- also a doctor.

This is an excellent resource as well: http://bonni.net/birth/inv/index.html
Old 09-27-2002, 12:19 AM

I need all that information too!!! Thanks Katrina for asking!!! I will be looking into these things too!!!! gentlebirth.org looks like a good place to start. (I am the one who started the thread about dh not "letting me" have a homebirth.

edited to add: I have added all of these sites to my favorites list!!! Dh will see that I am doing my research. :P
Old 09-27-2002, 07:05 PM

Well, I went to the library and orderd a few of the books- Sheila Kitzinger's and Robbie Davis-Floyd (wanted to read that before)
Old 09-30-2002, 02:52 AM

This might not be a very "modern woman" reply. But I had a nice homebirth with my Son. And I remember thinking, even though I educated myself, and had a great midwife. It would have still not been nice if my DH had not been on board with the whole thing.

So I say, educate him if he will listen. Tell him how much it would mean to you and show him the back up plans...but if he still says no.... unless you are a really strong lady I would say maybe try for middle ground like a birthing center...

Just my idea... I just know that is what I would have done if my hubby had said no.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:24 PM

Monda, that is a good idea. I am open to a birth center. I will look into it for the next birth. If dh would be open to it, I think it would be a good comprimise.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:49 PM

I also wanted to mention that "Gentle Birth Choices" By Barbara HAper, R.N is a fantastic book!

hospitals are not actaully safer then home births.. there are rsiks involved in both. AS far as the baby's health is concerned, you might want to remind your dh that hospitals are full of sick ppl, so the risk of your baby getting sick is greater at the hospital. Also, there is more chance of intervention which leads to intervention to intervention.. and who knows how it ends up in the end (most likely a c/s) or what was actually necissary..

in the end, it really boils down to where you feel the most cjomfortable, but I would incourage your dh to edu ate himself on the topic b/f excepting the mainstream idea of a hopstial birht.. b/c,as someone already mentioned, a lot of the "norms" in our society are not actaully the healtheier/safer/better chocies...
good luck!! and congrats on already educating yourself on this!

User Tag List