"Cheaper By the Dozen" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 01-27-2005, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been reading "Cheaper by the Dozen" to my dd recently. Last night we read a chapter entitled something like "Have you Met the New Model" or something like that. It was basically about the birth of the kids and baby raising and stuff. The book is autobiographical, written by two of the children in the family, I think. I believe it's the early 1900's.

In this chapter the Mom has the first 5 (I think) babies at home and then for number 6 she decides to try the hospital. She stays at the hospital for a few hours and then walks home with her suitcase because the nurses wouldn't let her do anything and she was bored and lonely! That was so cool, I thought. Two of the children arrived just as the doctor arrived. Number 12 she again decided to go to the hospital and this time she enjoyed it because the nurses waited on her hand-and-foot for 10 days.

A few things I thought interesting:
1) That she walked home from the hospital because the nurses wouldn't let her do anything.
2) That she stayed in bed for a day or two and then rested for another two weeks, or something like that after the birth of each child.
3) That the baby's bassinet was in the room with Mom and Dad because Dad thought it was sad and inappropriate for the baby to be bundled off to a crib in his/her own room.

I think I'll be reading this chapter again sometime when dh is around, although I'll skip the part where she has number 12 in the hospital and enjoys it .

Does anyone have any other good stories with homebirths? Not birth books, but books about other things that happen to have a good homebirth in them (even if it is before the time of birth belongs in the hospital).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 01-27-2005, 01:20 PM

I saw the original movie, not the remake with Steve whats his name. It had that part of her 12th in the hospital. Its a cute movie.

I don't think I have ready any books and been suprised by a homebirth. Maybe a Danielle Steele novel. But I have seen a few shows I was surprised about. Like Malcom in the Middle - even though it wasn't planned. THere was an episode of ER where the woman refused to leave her apartment because she wanted to give birth while watching the snow fall out the window, that was cute. Sounds like something I would do, lol.

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#3 of 18 Old 01-27-2005, 06:59 PM

I recently read two good autobiographical books that were by women who attended homebirths -- lots of positive beautiful birth stories.... A Midwife's Tale by Penny Armstrong (talks about her journey to become a midwife, moving forward into becoming a homebirth midwife, etc..) and Dr. Frau by Grace Kaiser a doctor who attended Amish homebirths also.

#4 of 18 Old 01-27-2005, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The book "Into the Forest" by Jean Hegland has homebirth, homeschooling and breastfeeding all in it. HIGHLY recommend, though maybe not for kids.
#5 of 18 Old 01-28-2005, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife
The book "Into the Forest" by Jean Hegland has homebirth, homeschooling and breastfeeding all in it. HIGHLY recommend, though maybe not for kids.
Yea, not for the kids. Great book but I was seriously weirded out by the part where the sisters had sex to take control of their sexuality again. Its all in context but certainly not for the kiddos.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#6 of 18 Old 01-29-2005, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel -- takes place WAY before the time of "birth belongs in a hospital"

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#7 of 18 Old 01-30-2005, 05:39 PM

Anne's House of Dreams and Anne of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery. Anne had 7 babies at home, and her husband is a doctor who delivers the entire community's babies in their homes. Word of warning: Anne's first birth is long and traumatic with a baby who seems to have some kind of heart defect and dies w/in hours of birth. Actually, though, I think the series gives a pretty varied & therefore fairly balanced view of birth, considering its time & place (early 1900's, PEI, Canada). Anne also has twins, a problematical birth after which she is sick for a long time, and three normal, singleton, healthy births.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#8 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 01:17 AM

I love Anne's House of Dreams, lovely.
#9 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations.

I assume the "Anne" books are part of the "Anne of Green Gables" series? I think I only ever read the first two, but I know that the whole series is sitting in my childhood bedroom. I'll definitely have to go back to it.

I loved the Jean Auel series and wouldn't mind going back to read it again!

I'm going to check out the library for "A Midwife's Tale" and "Dr. Frau" and "Into the Forest".

Thanks!
#10 of 18 Old 06-08-2005, 11:27 PM

These probably aren't for kids either but my midwife just gave a reading list:

The Red Tent (especially not for kids)
Baby Catcher
oh and there was one more. I'll try to remember it and put it here
#11 of 18 Old 06-09-2005, 12:55 PM

I love THe Red Tent! I recomend it to everyone I can. Not for the kids though as previously stated.
Namaste,Tara
#12 of 18 Old 06-09-2005, 01:08 PM

I liked Jean Auel's Earth's Children series, but some of the bf'ing stuff annoyed me. There was something about how, if a mother had another baby too soon, she'd have to leave one to die in the woods because there wouldn't be enough milk for two. : And also, when one mother lost her milk, the other women in the community were upset and confused that Ayla wanted them to each take on an occasional feeding of the baby, dividing it up so no one would have to do much, and they all thought their own babies would starve. She seemed to be under the impression that there was no way anyone could nurse more than one child. I guess I missed the part about how prehistoric women only had one breast.
#13 of 18 Old 06-09-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel -- takes place WAY before the time of "birth belongs in a hospital"
Speaking of "innapropriate for young children" :LOL

I those books too.

#14 of 18 Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette
I liked Jean Auel's Earth's Children series, but some of the bf'ing stuff annoyed me. There was something about how, if a mother had another baby too soon, she'd have to leave one to die in the woods because there wouldn't be enough milk for two. : And also, when one mother lost her milk, the other women in the community were upset and confused that Ayla wanted them to each take on an occasional feeding of the baby, dividing it up so no one would have to do much, and they all thought their own babies would starve. She seemed to be under the impression that there was no way anyone could nurse more than one child. I guess I missed the part about how prehistoric women only had one breast.
That's odd because when Ayla has her first child the other mother's (from the Clan) happily bfeed, but THEY realize that it will cause *her* to loose her milk (lack of stimulation). Creb, though, doesn't understand that it is better on both sides to equally share lactation (if one woman feeds another's baby, then the other reciprocates) for milk supply so then she looses her milk.

I've gotta go read those again.

#15 of 18 Old 06-09-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelfqueen
I love Anne's House of Dreams, lovely.
The only problem w/the Anne series regarding homebirth is that there is quite a bit of fear for her surrounding birth because of the death of her 1st? child. And then in a subsequent one Anne almost dies.

#16 of 18 Old 06-09-2005, 05:14 PM

I thought in Ayla's case she actually lost her milk due to her depression and sadness over losing her 'mother'. She retreated from the world for a while and refused to nurse her baby and so the other mothers of the clan did it for her.
#17 of 18 Old 06-09-2005, 05:29 PM

stay away from "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"!
#18 of 18 Old 06-11-2005, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I re-read "Anne's House of Dreams" recently and while she does give birth at their home, it's a very medicalized birth (for that era). Lots of doctors and a nurse, I think, rushing in. Very male-expert-in-charge. Par for the times, of course.

I love how GD for their times Anne and Gilbert are!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page