Hospitals- another vent! (could be a long one!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-02-2002, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok- So I went to the hospital tour the other night. It is a nice maternity section and all, but the nurse giving the tour kept talking about the epidurals and pain medications. GRRRRR! And everyone is sitting there nodding their heads. It's all about money!!!!

WEll, it turns out that they have 3 "tub rooms", but only one tub. BUT IT IS A BIRTHING TUB! So I could get an older room, with a shower, but with the possiblity of getting the tub, then I could have a water birth. I asked about that (I was the only person asking questions about water as pain relief and water birth..) but hopefully at least one of those people will start to research! The nurse said, and I quote exactly, " there is not a doctor in this city who will do a water birth!" To which I replied, "well I have a midwife." And she said, oh well they will let you have a water birth. YAY

So if I can't have a homebirth, I am going to try my darndest to get a hospital waterbirth. People are telling me that midwives have no power in Ohio hospitals, and that I may meet some resistance. But I am of the opinion that I am the customer, and I am paying for them to give me a satisfactory experience...It's MY birth, my baby, my body. If everything is going well, and mother and baby are perfectly safe, why not use the tub? So I guess if I have to stand my ground and insist, that is ok, because I don't have to go to that hospital again! (We are moving!) So who cares what they think??? It is our child after all, not theirs.

Plus, why would they have a birthing tub to offer, if they don't want people to use it??

She also said though, that they make you immediately get out to deliver the placenta in the bed. (Because it's messy) which I guess I can understand.

So- I guess that's it. I was just angered by the fact that she mostly talked about the pain relief. Oh, and we got to see where the circumcisions are done. Yippee! I almost got sick. LOL

And also they have two jacuzzi rooms that you can labor in, but you can't have the baby in them. (I can undertsand that because of the jets). It would be hard to clean them out. So now i am stuck- do I request a jacuzzi room, and forget about a water birth or try for one of the rooms that can accomodate the tub, and risk not getting it if someone else is using it?

Good thing I was there to ask the questions about natural labor!!! I told a few people in passing- do your research!! hope they listen!

oh- and we live exactly 5 miles from the hospital- if I was having a homebirth, I wouldn't have far to go if something went wrong!!!
#2 of 24 Old 10-02-2002, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was not impressed with the jacuzzi at my hospital. It was really shallow, the jets didn't have very much pressure, and the water didn't run as hot as I like it, for safety reasons. I didn't find that it helped at all. But I'm glad they offered it.

Oh and also, you were "allowed" to use it only once.:

I hope everything works for you! Refuse the medication if you don't want it.
#3 of 24 Old 10-02-2002, 08:33 PM

Hm, well, I don't know about the mess part of it, I mean all they have to do is drain the tub (and I'm assuming they have to clean and sanitize the tub afterwards anyway??) But, I think one concern is that after the baby is born they like to see how much you are bleeding, and that's hard to see when you're in the tub.

Now about your question about jacuzzi vs. possible water birth -- I guess if it was me, I would take the jacuzzi. I've had a waterbirth and it was nice, but for my next birth I chose to labor in the water and decided I wanted to get out for the birth itself. The main thing for me is being able to *labor* in the water. It is so so helpful. So if it was me I'd definitely take the jacuzzi room. (WHY can't they make it easy and just have tubs in ALL the rooms?)
#4 of 24 Old 10-02-2002, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

I know- wouldn't it be nice if the tubs were in all the rooms? It's one of those big birthing tubs- portable. They need another one at least!!

Well, the midwife said if I didn't like it I could get out. Maybe I will decide I am more comfortable laboring in the tub, but that I want to get out for the birth- we will see how it goes.

I plan on refusing any medication... Last time I wanted it while I was in labor, but I didn't want it up until then! I changed my mind!! But not this time. Bring it on BABY! I AM WOMAN- I can handle it...and it wasn't that bad anyway, now that I have gone through it. I think the water will help me alot.
#5 of 24 Old 10-03-2002, 01:42 PM

I am always in awe of women who have the strength to forego drugs when they're available.

The water does help a lot! For me it was not only the heat and buoyancy, but the feeling of being somewhere that people couldn't easily see me or touch me. It felt very safe, and I know this helped my labor progress.
#6 of 24 Old 10-03-2002, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

That is what I am hoping for!
#7 of 24 Old 10-03-2002, 03:12 PM

I would go for the birthing tub- they are usually considerably bigger and better to labor in then a small jacuzzi. And I have yet to meet one woman who enjoyed the jets during labor! It sounds like there wont be many mamas wanting to use the birth tub anyway so chance are you would be able to use it.
Blessings
New moon
#8 of 24 Old 10-03-2002, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that is what I think too. It doesn't sound like waterbirth is too popular around here. Great for me! So I will try to get the tub. The tub rooms have just a shower, but they are bigger...this is the old part of the maternity area. They are all really nice rooms. They have cd players, microwaves and a tv. I really hope I can try the tub.
#9 of 24 Old 10-04-2002, 10:35 PM

You should make sure that your hubby and midwives are well aware of your birthing plans, well in advance. That way, hubby can advocate for you (if you do not have a doula present), and you can be assured that he will speak up if a labor nurse says, "Oh, we can't do that because of such-and-such..." You can just shove the plan in her face and say, "Oh, Yes I can! Dr./Midwife So-and-So signed off on these orders!"
The reason that I bring this up is because in many hospitals, they have silly routines and procedures, especially in regards to laboring in water/water birth. If you are totally prepared and your birth team is fully informed, you can have an excellent water hospital birth experience.
#10 of 24 Old 10-08-2002, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I have shown the midwife my plan, and I will be bringing it to the hospital with me. I will be making extra copies!!!!
#11 of 24 Old 10-10-2002, 12:45 AM

I'm from Mpls and there is a company here that has tubs, will travel and do set up and clean and take down. It's a home based business, but they do go to the hospital if the hospital will let them in, some do, some don't.
Be Sure to have several copies of your birth plan in writing, taped up by the sink, etc. Nurses conveniently lose these sometimes. I had to have a hosp birth due to high risk, and my nurse was a total crab. Have your DH talk with the staff and let them know what your expectations are in their role. If you specify no-meds, they probably won't even ask. Despite that bad attitude with my L&D nurse, she never asked me if I wanted pain meds and pretty much left us alone. We specified no VitK and No eye goop and she asked us if we wanted that and explained the benefits, which are debatable. Anyway, just be sure to set expectations with the staff and that will make your experience more enjoyable.
On the pain note: A posative attitude is everything. Relax and remember that your body is working, not trying to hurt you. Good luck

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#12 of 24 Old 10-10-2002, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, MammaV- that is a good idea- taping your birth plan up! I will definitely have several copies!!!

In the hospital at my son's birth (different hospital) they didn't have any birthing tubs, just showers- wish I had used the shower even! But the nurse I had was very nice- luckily- and asked if I was sure when I said I wanted some pain medication. At the time I was sure! Now I don't want them. I didn't want them before hand, either, but I caved!!! Now I know my body is working to get the baby out. And I trust it, and I am ready. I have been practicing my own version of yoga breathing. There is alot I wish I knew the first time, but all in all, I did alright. This time I will get through without pain meds!! I know I can...the first time I was scared and couldn't get past that. I didn't get the epidural, it wasn't for me. I just got nubain, now I wish I hadn't, but oh well.

I think my husband knows I don't want any medication, but I think i'll need to remind him!

Still wavering on the K- even though i know it is unnecessary. I don't think I will get the eye goop.
#13 of 24 Old 10-10-2002, 09:30 PM

One thing to consider, which I never thought about until I was in the middle of it, is how small/big the space is where the tub/jacuzzi is. The jacuzzi at the hospital I had to go to was in it's own bathroom, but with me, dh and two midwives in a fairly small space and hot water flowing, I couldn't relax, I was way too hot! Also, I think something with more room like a tub would be more relaxing, the jacuzzi was regular bath tub size and I wasn't terribly comfy. Just my 2 cents!

Good luck, I am so proud of you that you sound so strong in what you want! I have friends that keep ending up with c-sections, and it breaks my heart...
#14 of 24 Old 10-18-2002, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I have been reading alot One of the books I am reading right now is Robbie Davis-Floyd's Birth As An American Rite of Passage. It is a must r ead for EVERY woman- and man, for that matter!

I think you are right, Owen's mom, the jaccuzi might not work. The tub will be better because it will be in the middle of the room. I am sooooooo looking foward to trying the water- even if I don't end up delivering in it- I may decide I want out. But from what I have read, there is less likelihood thaI will tear, and that is a good thing!
Not as much to heal!!! I will be able to concentrate on the joy of our baby and not the negative thngs, or the pain in my vagina because of stitches! LOL I ended up with an episiotomy with the first baby
OUCH
#15 of 24 Old 10-18-2002, 12:04 PM

That's an amazing book!

As far as your perineum is concerned, water does help because it provides warmth and moisture and a sense of privacy that is conducive to the letting go of inhibitions. Of course, there are other ways you can get those things, but in a hospital setting the birthtub might be the most convenient way!

Equally important are upright positioning and no pushing unless you absolutely cannot help but push (or if the baby is in danger, of course, at which point the issue of the health of your perineum is moot.) If all these conditions are met, it is HIGHLY unlikely that you'll tear.
#16 of 24 Old 10-20-2002, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Good Luck Chloe!

I hope everything works out for you!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#17 of 24 Old 10-21-2002, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all! I am very excited!

As for the book- Birth as an American Rite of Passage- it's a great book, but I have to read it in spurts, because it's so true- we are so ingrained to BELIEVE in doctors and put our trust in them instead of ourselves.

Empower ourselves!!! Enough is enough!
#18 of 24 Old 10-22-2002, 12:08 AM

I just got the newest issue of Midwifery Today. It's packed full of good information on medical intervention. The midwife I was seeing for prenatal care gave me some excellent advice on tearing. She told me that when I felt the ring of fire to hold back on pushing, let the perineum adjust and push some more. Unfortuantely, I was high risk and ended up with an OB and hosp birth and a class 2 tear. The DR and Nurse were ordering me to push and I should have listened to my body not them...It's too hard to birth a baby and fight with the staff. Good Luck on your birth... Remember that you are strong and your body knows what to do to safely and effectively birth your baby. Don't be afraid to keep moving all thoughout labor and to birth in a squat postition or side lying or what every you body tells you to do. Squatting will open your pelvis an extra 10%! So good luck and I know that you will have a joyous birth experience. Oh Yeah, the endorphin high during labor is incredible. I'd give birth naturally again any day of the week just to experience that high again..

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#19 of 24 Old 10-28-2002, 09:47 PM

Ok just a quck question...don't get mad at me for asking. I am just curious if you are going to the hospital b/c midwifery is illegal in OH? It sounds to me like it would be lots of trouble to get in the car and make a fuss over all the things you want if you can avoid all of it and stay in your comfy home with a midwife. This is only out of curiosity I am sure you know your options and maybe you just don't feel comfortable hombirthing. I don't know that is why I am asking :
#20 of 24 Old 10-28-2002, 09:50 PM

Oh Yeah BTW I had a birthing pool and loved it and It really helped with the pian. It also helped with relaxation. I forgot to write that before.
#21 of 24 Old 10-28-2002, 11:48 PM

Are ther any birthing centers in your area? You are more likely to get what you want, especially with a midwife. Water is definitely the way to go! Can you rent your own tub and bring it in the other rooms? If you go to the hospital please make sure you write a very detailed birth plan and get your Dr. to sign it. Make sure it is hanging for all to see! Best Wishes!
#22 of 24 Old 01-31-2003, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized there were some posts here and I wanted to respond.

I think homebirth is illegal in Ohio, for CNMs. But you can have a lay midwife I think... I wasn't able to have a home birth because dh is "against" it.

My birth in the hospital, needless to say went very well. I didn't need to have my birth plan with me, because it went the way I wanted!!! But I had about 5 copies in my bag! LOL

I will explain what happened. I started having irregular contrax in the afternoon of November 14th. I had to finish some loose ends for our house closing and ran around getting those done. My contrax felt like strong BH contrax, so I didn't really think that I was in pre labor, but I was! Around 6 pm, I gave my ds#1 a bath, and got in the tub with him. (I told dh a bit before that that I thought he wouldn't be going to work the next day!) My friend called me and said that I could call her if I needed to. I didn't really think I needed her at that point. I was calm, and relaxed, but contrax were coming more frequently, and I had to be on my hands and knees during every contrax!

A little while later I called my friend because I couldn't get through a contraction and dress my son! LOL She came over around 7 pm I think, and watched my then 21 month old and timed my contractions. I was about 5 min apart consistently. I decided to call the midwife around 7:30- 7:45 pm, and she asked if I was comfortable to labor at home. I said that I was. Pretty soon my contrax were getting 3 minutes apart, so my friend called the midwife back on my behalf and she called within minutes! (You have to call the answering service.) There wasn't much time between the first time I called, and the second time! LOL I think I went to the hospital around 9 pm, and I rode in my mom's car on my hands and knees in the back! LOL It must have looked pretty silly!

When I got to the hospital, I asked if I could push the wheelchair because there was no way I could have sat down. I flustered the ER girl! But I got to walk and push the chair!!! It took a long time to get to the maternity area, because I had to stop walking during a contraction to breathe. They put me right in my room- no triage!

The midwife got there and checked me- well the student midwife did, and announced that I was 8 cm and my bag was bulging! I couldn't believe it! The baby was a bit posterior (sidelying, but head down) so I had to turn him. She had me rock my pelvis on the bed for what seemed like forever. I kept asking, when can I get in the tub? Finally, I got in the tub...it was heavenly! It slowed down my contractions, and I was having conversations. I was still really calm, and not much pain. At 10:25 pm, my water broke...in the tub! After tha, things really went fast. A few contractions, I was 10 cm and ready to push. He was born at 10:40 pm. My friend video taped everything. My mom was there. My dad was watching my other son at home. Dh and my sister missed getting there... they were each driving a distance. All in all, my "labor" lasted about 4 hours. Pre labor started around 2 pm that day, but I didn't count it in the labor. I have no idea when I transitioned... things went really fast. But I did it. I had an easy hospital water birth.

Yes- there was a birthing center near me, but it was in Michigan, and my insurance only covers OHIO.

Baby #3 I hope to have at home. If I could just convince dh...

Thanks for all the well wishes!
#23 of 24 Old 01-31-2003, 01:45 PM

i am glad all was well.
#24 of 24 Old 01-31-2003, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! He is a beautiful and sweet little guy. He latched on within an hour of being born and is still nursing like a champ. Gaining weight well- 11 lbs 11 oz last week and 23 inhes tall. He was 7 lbs 8 oz at birth and 20 inches. Not bad, for just being 2 months!

My older son breastfed too, but he isn't very big...he's almost 2 and he's 21 lbs! LOL But, this was the way I saw it: he wasn't starving- he was offered a boob anytime he wanted. He was growing and happy. So what if he didn't weigh 20 lbs at 6 months- easier to carry when they are small, right? :LOL

I know- OFF TOPIC. I could still vent!

Actually I have one other thing to mention: the nurse that gave the tour and said that no docs let you birth in water was the same nurse that ended up being at my birth! LOL She said that in the 10 years she's been an OB nurse, she had never seen a water birth. So maybe I opened her eyes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page