Anyone here had a homebirth in a hotel? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-17-2005, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is what our intentions are. Due to legal situation in our state with midwives, my CPM is unable to deliver babies in SD, therefore we are traveling 2+ hrs. out of state to have our baby. We would love to find a cabin type setting, but they are a little spendy and I really want a bathtub for labor! Checking out a few hotels in the town next week that have "honeymoon suites".

The whole idea of being in a hotel for our birth is just a little strange though. What if I'm really noisy??? Anyone have any experience??
#2 of 19 Old 03-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Banned

Well, of course every woman is different, so I am just making a broad generalization here.

I think the honeymoon suite would be fine, due to the fact that honestly, almost every woman I have seen either on tape, on tv, in person, home or hospital--if you didn't know they were giving birth, many of the sounds are similar to what lovemaking might sound like---low moans, heavy breathing, that type of thing...

I am not trying to be weird, but it is true. So unless you are one of the women who literally screams in pain, which I have not honestly seen (or heard) often (that doesn't mean there isn't pain lol) I think if anyone heard you, they might think you and your husband were just having a *good time*...if you get my drift...

Good luck to you though, I wouldn't worry about it! Hang the *do not disturb* sign on the door and hope for the best!
#3 of 19 Old 03-17-2005, 08:56 PM

I suggest bringing some rubber sheets or some kind of plastic incase you want to squat some where other than the bathroom floor. If you get blood everwhere they are going to charge you for the damages. Does your midwife feel comfortable doing this? Other than that, go for it.
#4 of 19 Old 03-17-2005, 09:01 PM

Will you be comfortable travelling 2+ hrs by car in labor? I could hardly stand 10 minutes to the hospital. That would be my only concern. Who knows, if you show them the baby (afterwards - don't tell them your plan or they may freak out!) maybe you'll get something free.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#5 of 19 Old 03-18-2005, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would be concerned about the germs. Hotels are *quite* germy and not cleaned particularly well. Blankets are not washed after each guest, the bathtub is not bleached, etc. So what looks clean to the naked eye is not really clean. In your own home it doesn't matter because for the most part they are your germs and your body is accustomed to them. (BTW, you would be shocked to see what comes out of the jets in a jacuzzi when they are cleaned properly, which they rarely are.)

And the car trip would be very very very hard. I found the 15 mn I needed to travel to be very hard.

Sorry to be such a downer...
#6 of 19 Old 03-18-2005, 01:14 AM

My mw has delivered babies in a motels before. One hotel has a nice room that is a little room thats separate from the rest that is kinda reserved for her.

I have fast births so that 2 hour trip would be of concern for me being the last was 2 hours start to finish. Most of that I was cleaning house :LOL so I guess I could do a 2 hour drive

I really would go for the cabin type setting, much more private and restfull.
#7 of 19 Old 03-18-2005, 04:13 PM

Are you going to go a few days before your due date? That's what I would do if it was affordable.

I've always thought I would do exactly that if homebirth was illegal where I live.

I agree with one of the other posters, you might want to bring some cleaning supplies to clean the bathtub and bathroom before you use it. Also I'd bring my own sheets and stuff maybe some blankets too so you don't have to use the hotel ones.

I would think a cabin or renting a suite would be cheaper than a hotel? Especially if you can rent it for the week or something.

Oh ya, I was worried about the noise too because we have a rental suite in our house. But honestly, I don't think she heard a thing. I wasn't screaming or anything, and unless the walls are paper thin, all people would hear is a little groaning...I don't think I ever made more noise than some people do when they are in the bathroom!
#8 of 19 Old 03-18-2005, 10:26 PM

I actually have the potential to have this happen. I am on a conference committee and CAN NOT miss it. I am due 5/23 & the conf is 5/27-29. I never thought about bringing cleaning supplies, something to think about. I am just going to bring my birth kit with me & keep it in the van, so if it is needed, DH will get it. My Midwife has registered as an attendee to the confernce so I am covered. I am booking near the "Presidential Suite" so I can use the tub in there. (Our organization is comped this suite & it has a huge tub!) Only downfall is all the mirrors surrounding it. My doula, who is also on conference commitee says she will cover the mirrors if they really bug me with sheets.

If you all have any other ideas, let me know. As least I know I will have food, room service!!!!! LOL!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#9 of 19 Old 03-18-2005, 10:45 PM

removed
#10 of 19 Old 03-18-2005, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. My midwife does bring cleaning stuff to do the bathtubs, etc. before using and after, so that isn't really a concern for me. I am a little worried about driving that far in labor, but it really is our only choice, unless we go unassisted (DH wouldn't mind that, I think I will need midwife's support).

Would love to go down ahead of time and just stay there, but financially couldn't swing that.

I really am not all that worried. I just keep praying that things will go smoothly and timing will be right!
#11 of 19 Old 03-19-2005, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just for future reference, you need to clean the jets if there is a jacuzzi. You do this by filling the up past the jets with the hottest water you can and then adding a good amount of bleach (a cup or two). You run the jets for 10 mn or so and then drain the tub. If the jets were not clean, you will see lots of stuff floating in the water -- black bacteria-laden gunk. I have a friend who owns a store that retails hot tubs, and she will not use hotel jacuzzis because they are not cleaned properly. Apparently when a jacuzzi is drained, it allows for a small amount of water to stay inside the jet mechanism.

When I moved into my house, I did this with my jacuzzi. Even though it looked immaculate to the naked eye (and I had cleaned it as well), I was appalled at the junk that came out of the jacuzzi jets. I had to repeat this process five times before black and brown stuff stopped coming out. The big downside to this process is that you have to use bleach, which smells horrible and burns your nose (and would probably be intolerable during labor), and that it's time consuming.

Maybe your midwife can get to the hotel room before you and do this?
jancea likes this.
#12 of 19 Old 03-20-2005, 05:44 PM

Just wanted to add my thoughts here, from the hotel's perscpective.

My DH is the Director of Housekeeping at a major hotel here in Phoenix... I talked to him about having the baby at the hotel... he thinks, as a person, it's a fine idea... BUT, from the hotel's perscpective, you have to be REALLY careful and sneaky... at his hotel, if they find out a woman is in labor they require her to leave... it's all about liability... they will not allow themselves to be put in such a position. Now obviously, when a couple checks in they don't ask if the woman is in labor... so it is possible to get away with it... but if any of the other guests complain about noise (and it does happen more than you'd think) they are required to check out the noise... and if you're caught you'll be made to leave.

It is rare for such things to happen... but it is possible.

I also want to add that a previous poster is right... hotel rooms are actually not very clean. After a guest leaves they change the sheets, vacuum, etc... but they don't change the blankets or sterilize anything... the bathtun is given a quick wipedown to remove any nastiness that can be seen... but that's it. Not even all the towels are changed out. If a towel is still hung up, and doesn't *appear* to have been used, it's left in the room.

So, all in all... a hotel is an option... but you have to be very careful about it.
#13 of 19 Old 03-20-2005, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengi33
I am a little worried about driving that far in labor, but it really is our only choice, unless we go unassisted (DH wouldn't mind that, I think I will need midwife's support).
Just a quick suggestion--what if you hired a very experienced doula (maybe even one who is a student MW?) and did UC in your home? That's just an idea, because I am also among the "2 hours is a heck of a long time" group--I also hope you have a large, comfortable car with dark material--if not I'd suggest borrowing one (maybe a van, minivan or even SUV).

One question: What if you don't make it? Who will help deliver the baby? At the very very least, I would find someone (your MW, a doula, a chilbirth educator) who can give you and dh a lesson in emergency childbirth, just in case baby decides to come out during that long trip. And if you can swing it, a doula to accompany you on the trip--with dh focusing on driving, who's going to take care of you and help you cope?

Best Wishes,
Kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#14 of 19 Old 03-20-2005, 06:11 PM

Preferably, a cabin would be best as far as noise and privacy goes. Also, as a housekeeper myself, I would arrive enough ahead of time to wash all linens, clean or not. And also I would take natural cleaners with to wipe down anything else. As a pp said, not everything is washed in hotels, etc...if it looks clean, it is left. A unit that has a washer and dryer in it would be the best, but on-site laundry would work as well. You may not want to leave a big mess for them to clean up either. Would it be possible for your midwife to get to the hotel early and do some cleaning as you are driving? Two hours is long enough to wash all the linens...or just take your own and strip everything once you get there.

It could be just me, but I don't like the idea of being inhibited as far as making noise. Some people don't make much noise, but I wanted to scream my head off. Just a thought...it could make other guests feel uptight.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#15 of 19 Old 03-20-2005, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit
I also want to add that a previous poster is right... hotel rooms are actually not very clean. After a guest leaves they change the sheets, vacuum, etc... but they don't change the blankets or sterilize anything... the bathtun is given a quick wipedown to remove any nastiness that can be seen... but that's it. Not even all the towels are changed out. If a towel is still hung up, and doesn't *appear* to have been used, it's left in the room.
Oh man...that is just sick... You mean I spent $110 a night to sleep under a blanket that OTHER people used?!? GROSS! (Yeah, it was a Hilton, and under the bed was a rock hard danish pastry thing, which ironically enough would have made my gluten intolerant 15 month old really sick if he got ahold of...talk about liability!)

Yeeeeeah, that scares me out of going to a hotel ever again, let alone giving birth in one!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#16 of 19 Old 03-20-2005, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae
Oh man...that is just sick... You mean I spent $110 a night to sleep under a blanket that OTHER people used?!? GROSS! (Yeah, it was a Hilton, and under the bed was a rock hard danish pastry thing, which ironically enough would have made my gluten intolerant 15 month old really sick if he got ahold of...talk about liability!)

Yeeeeeah, that scares me out of going to a hotel ever again, let alone giving birth in one!
Unfortunately... that is what happens... the hotel my DH works for is a high end hotel as well... average prices run between $180-250 for a regular room, depending on season... so it's not like he works for a dinky motel or anything either... I might expect it there.

Everything he's told me (it's just just the rooms either... towels used at the pool aren't washed, just dried and put out again) makes me want to stay away from hotels as much as possible... when it isn't possible I make sure to bring my own stuff from home and strip down the bed to use mine.
#17 of 19 Old 03-20-2005, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
Just a quick suggestion--what if you hired a very experienced doula (maybe even one who is a student MW?) and did UC in your home? That's just an idea, because I am also among the "2 hours is a heck of a long time" group--I also hope you have a large, comfortable car with dark material--if not I'd suggest borrowing one (maybe a van, minivan or even SUV).

One question: What if you don't make it? Who will help deliver the baby? At the very very least, I would find someone (your MW, a doula, a chilbirth educator) who can give you and dh a lesson in emergency childbirth, just in case baby decides to come out during that long trip. And if you can swing it, a doula to accompany you on the trip--with dh focusing on driving, who's going to take care of you and help you cope?

Best Wishes,
Kelly
Thanks, I am actually a doula and an experienced OB nurse, so I guess I could handle the emergency childbirth part. I do have a friend though that has offerred to come along if it's possible for her at the time, so that will be helpful. My midwife is coming from a different direction, so that won't work.

We are going to look at the cabins tomorrow when we are there for a prenatal appt., then make our decision.
#18 of 19 Old 03-21-2005, 10:10 AM

Just wanted to share my sympathy about your situation -- I, too, will have to travel out of state for our birth due to legal restrictions here in Alabama. Our CPM is licensed in TN and has a little house right on the AL/TN line for her AL clients to use, so fortunately we don't have to worry about the where. But we'll have a 2 1/2 hour drive which I'm not looking forward to. It is certainly not ideal, but since the choice for us is that or a 45 minute drive for a hospital birth, we're willing to do it. I just wanted to say that our midwife has had quite a few clients make that kind of drive for a birth and it has been fine. So, like you I'm just trying to keep positive about it! Hope your search for the right birthplace will go well!

Leanne
#19 of 19 Old 03-21-2005, 10:13 AM

Just wanted to say Hi Leanne! Glad you found Mothering!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page