So what did you need for your homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2005, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 36 weeks this wednesday and in the process of switching to a homebirth from a "center" type set up. We are planning a water birth.

I'm excited... but I feel so unprepared. I never bothered with "mood" things with my previous two hospital births. I didn't feel like I could make a hospital room comfortable and spirit-lifting.

So here i am, and I don't know what things I should be buying or preparing.

Music? What kind? ideas?

candles? good idea? bad idea?

What things did you feel would or did enrich the environment of your homebirth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2005, 04:07 PM

I had planned on having lots of candles and music in the background,(something soothing,like Enya) but everything happend pretty fast, so I didnt get that. Maybe next time. I delivered our son in the middle of the day, in our bedroom,where theres a big window, it was nice with the sun coming in. Also, lots of pillows are nice,and a birthing ball, and movies to help pass the time. I also reccommend having lots of towels on hand, we went through pretty much all our towels, oh, and a plastic sheet for your mattress.

Sarah: momma to 3 
Old 03-19-2005, 06:42 PM

I'm due sometime this week, I think, and planning a home waterbirth. As far as 'mood' goes, I'm really looking forward to the birth fitting in as part of my normal life. For instance, I don't have special labor music chosen, but I don have my CD's close to the stock tank where I'm going to birth, so I can listen to whatever sounds right at the moment. Early in labor I'm hoping to bake some bread or do some gardening, go for walks on our property etc. I'm also looking forward to visiting with our animals and playing with my kids. I guess the mood I'm going for is the mood that already exists in our house. I don't think I'll have candles. I love them but I always worry that our golden retriever will knock them over with her swishy tail, so I don't use them often. I did buy some extra 'snacky' foods to have on hand, and a drink called Recharge, which is kind of like Gatorade but better for you. I'm having some friends and close family over to hang our with me and keep me company as things progress as well. Not sure if that helps at all! Congrats on your upcoming birth!
Old 03-19-2005, 07:46 PM

Candles would be great for the evening, but if dd is up then I might not have as many (too much of a challenge for her to leave alone). I plan on using my Hypbirth CDs which come with some music. When I had dd in the hospital, the music we brought along helped to pass the time (I need some kind of backgroud distractions). I'm also thinking about picking up this CD from Amazon that another HB mama posted: Chakra Chants. Last time, I was very in touch with my lower chakras and vocalization. I like to have several options prepped, just in case my mood changes.

Outside of that, dh and I were looking to make it like any other event in our home. We live in a tiny backyard cottage house. My cousin and his fiance live in front of us. We usually have them and another couple over on weekends, and this birth will probably be no different -- especially since they are helping us with cleaning the house next weekend for the arrival of the tub. I doubt that I'll have them all in the room when the time comes, but I would like the extra company while I labor. My ideal picture is that it's a beautiful spring day, everyone is out in the yard waiting when suddenly my dh announces, "It's a [fill in the blank]!" and they all cheer. Then once I'm cleaned up and ready, they can all come visit.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:07 PM

I had set up my bedroom to be a particularly relaxing and inviting place to be -- painted the walls in watery hues of blue and green, put up twinkly fairy lights, made the bed all in white, with a down comforter and pillows, and put up a window hanging that shimmered in the sun. I love that room, and it was perfect for making love with my husband during prodomal labor. But I chose another room to give birth in, because of it small, confined space. Like a closet, really, but with windows. I set up a nest of cushions in there, and it felt very cozy and private. I kept the door open though and set up candles in another room so that only a soft glow reached me, otherwise it was dark. Mind you, I decided on all this and put it together about three hours before the birth, when I was already in active labor. So this was not premeditated, it was just what felt good and right to me at the time. No music, with all of my labors music has been an early labor thing only, and something I tired of quickly.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:27 PM

my own suggestion is plan what you want and makes you happy but also leave room for the unexpected because when you're in labor as you know sometimes we change our minds
mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 03-21-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueviolet
Mind you, I decided on all this and put it together about three hours before the birth, when I was already in active labor. So this was not premeditated, it was just what felt good and right to me at the time. No music, with all of my labors music has been an early labor thing only, and something I tired of quickly.
Wow! Talk about staying focused. I really liked how the bedroom was a relaxing kind of place and the birth room had a kind of "dark into light" theme. Very cool. I might have to steal some of that.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:40 AM

we played a Loreena McKennitt CD a couple of times. the doula asked me if i wanted it turned back on and at that point I couldn't make up my mind so we just left it off (labor was obviously getting intense ). What helped me was the water. That was all I cared about and it was so helpful. We had a pool in our dining room. It was so worth it.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Banned

I hjeard candles aren't the best thing for the baby though, due to the fact that when they are born, the only thing they can pretty much distinguish visually, is between light and dark and the glow of the candle to them is like a bright piercing light that can hurt their little eyes So if you are choosing candles, make sure to place them far away from where you are actually birthing and if possible, have *shields* so that the actually flame is covered a bit...

As for us, we are having very soft lamplight, covered with fabric to make a pleasant soft glow, just the general music we always have on hand--whatever I am in the mood for at the time, I have frozen a really good, homemade soup to have simmering to sip on for sustinence and comfort, as well as *recharge* type drink---oh, STRAWS get, straws, bendy ones, because if you want a little sip of something but you are in hard labor, believe me, it may seem insignificant, but you aren't gonna want to be holding up a glass and taking time to get it in your mouth properly! So much easier to have your partner/coach place the straw to your lips...
um, crock pot for really warm compresses to place on you wherever you need--belly during contraction, back...

similarly, cold compresses with lavender and chamomille in a ziplock bag in the fridge to put on your forehead for coolness and also aroma therapy...

Things of that nature! Good luck and here's to a healthy delivery for both mama and baby!
Old 03-22-2005, 04:33 PM

I borrowed my FIL's set of Monty Python's Flying Circus DVD's I wanted something to make me laugh while I was in labor! Problem was, I was a half-hour into my 1-hour labor before I realized what was happening....so I only got to watch a little teeny bit!

User Tag List