Oklahoma Homebirth Laws? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-01-2005, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
This is my first post, so please forgive me if I don't do it right.
We are hoping to be able to move out of Arkansas in a year or so and I am trying to find out what the homebirth laws are in Oklahoma, as that is a potential place for us to move.
We've come to find that we do not like Arkansas' laws regarding homebirths at all, and are desperately hoping that Oklahoma's will be better.
I am 24 weeks pregnant with our 3rd (first hb) and there are SO many *required* tests that have to be done on me in order to have a midwife attend my homebirth-- it's just ridiculous.
So if any of you live in Oklahoma, I'd LOVE to hear about what it is like to have homebirths there. Thanks so much in advance.
#2 of 7 Old 04-01-2005, 09:00 PM

according to this chart at the Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA) website, it is legal to have a midwife attended homebirth in Oklahoma, and midwives are not required to be licensed there. http://www.mana.org/statechart.html

I don't know what this means on a more personal level, but it seems hopeful.

You might also try posting this on the Oklahoma Finding Your Tribe forum: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...splay.php?f=95

warmly,
claudia

~claudia
#3 of 7 Old 04-02-2005, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding Claudia,
Yes, according to the info on the MANA site, it does sound hopeful that Oklahoma's laws are not nearly as strict as Arkansas'. I guess I won't ever know for sure until I get there and begin planning a homebirth. I never knew that Arkansas had such strict laws regarding homebirths until after I was pregnant with this one. Having my first two at a hospital with a doctor was very easy and lenient (sp?) compared to what I've had to have done with this planned homebirth!
Thanks again for the info.
#4 of 7 Old 04-07-2005, 03:08 AM

OK has no laws regarding HB. It's considered Alegal... meaning there is nothing for or against homebirth with midwife. There aren't very many that I'm aware of though. Where are you thinking of moving to?
#5 of 7 Old 04-07-2005, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

We're not sure yet exactly where we would move to in Oklahoma-- most likely it will be along the east side somewhere. Coming from Arkansas, with both our families here in Arkansas, we don't want to go TOO far away. The cheapest land we've found so far has been in the southeast area.
Thanks for all your help. Oklahoma sure does sound alot better than Arkansas in regards to homebirthing!
#6 of 7 Old 04-10-2005, 08:10 PM

The Norman/OKC area has several homebirthing midwives here who are awesome, and I know of 1 in Tulsa who is also great. Outside of them though, I don't know anyone. I bet there are others, but in the smaller towns it's harder to find them, unless you manage to find a "crunchy" town. Good luck!
#7 of 7 Old 04-11-2005, 09:29 AM

There's a practice in OKC area that told me they pretty much would go anywhere in the state. And there are at least 3 or 4 in the Tulsa area... more that are just apprentices to those and harder to contact.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page