Forum Jump: 

#61 of 112 Old 05-18-2005, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaby3

Oh, that wasn't the one I saw, :LOL

That's dumb, too. "OMG, BOYS WILL TURN GAY IF THEIR MOMS DON'T SPEND ENOUGH TIME WITH THEM! OR TOO MUCH! I FORGET!"

:

There was another one, here:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...=281616&page=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 112 Old 05-18-2005, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, now this thread has gotten so far off topic! About this holistic sterilization of the pond... So do you figure she pees in it?
#63 of 112 Old 05-18-2005, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterBaby
Oh, now this thread has gotten so far off topic!
This *is* MDC! :LOL
#64 of 112 Old 05-18-2005, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaramba
That's dumb, too. "OMG, BOYS WILL TURN GAY IF THEIR MOMS DON'T SPEND ENOUGH TIME WITH THEM! OR TOO MUCH! I FORGET!"
Actually, I read that post as her suggesting that a loving gay male adult could be a positive role model for a young boy, and spending time with such a mentor could help the youngin figure out for himself what's going on inside him.

I'm not sure this new member doesn't mean well...
and I'm always puzzled when someone gets labeled a Troll when they simply post ideas/opinions that aren't accepted by the MDC norms.

Also, I've been meaning to add here that I've known a number of women who were either whacked-out heavy drug users or had mental health issues (or both) who were very drawn to midwifery. It's a profession with such an enchanting set of associations: healing, wholesome, motherly, alternative, wise, supportive, progressive... and I could see one such disturbed woman fall so much in love with those ideas that she convinces herself that she could practice as a midwife without all of that silly training stuff- and end up being a midwife like the one described here. One who gives real midwives a bad, bad name.

So I could see the story being true. And I find myself wondering, If the OP wanted to make trouble/ give midwives a bad name by making this up, wouldn't she go to a more mainstream board where people might be more likely to believe her? I mean, there's a chance it could be made-up, with the intention of scaring us poor uninformed homebirthers out of our illusions, but... most people know better than to, say, waltz into a law inforcement convention blaring CopKiller on a boombox.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#65 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 12:06 AM

Well, huh.

Have you read the whole sparsely put together story? It doesn't make good sense. If it was simply that the midwife suggested a pond birth and the OP has issue with that, then POSSIBLY I could read it as true. The story just kept getting deeper and less solidly crafted with every post she made...

I think that *this* is what people are responding to. Not the aberration from the MDC norms.

Midwives don't need people making up ridiculous lies ANYWHERE. It's already an uphill battle, you know?
#66 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys
Have you read the whole sparsely put together story?
I'm not sure. It seems as if there was an earlier thread with more info, that got deleted. Is that right? Maybe I am missing some of it. I completely agree that the "midwife" sounds rather, well... insane and unbelievable.

Quote:
Midwives don't need people making up ridiculous lies ANYWHERE. It's already an uphill battle, you know?
Ohhhhh yeah, absolutely. In no way am I supporting the OP if this is all made up- just questioning why someone would bother to do so, especially here. Also wondering if it could be true, and the "midwife" is simply nuts and not actually a midwife.

#67 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 12:19 AM

I'll tell you, I believed it in the beginning. I had no issue with the OP being freaked out by a pond birth, I understand it is not within the boundaries of her normal. (Even though it *is* something that I would feel safe doing, if I wanted to be naked outside : )

But, then the midwife got even more on the fringe and even more dangerous by exposing her client to SALMONELLA.

I don't know. It's not ringing true, for me. :LOL
#68 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys
But, then the midwife got even more on the fringe and even more dangerous by exposing her client to SALMONELLA.
True, that part sounded rather off... it seemed as if the OP was not there, but also described her friend as not having noticed the chicken stuff- so how did OP know?

I dunno, I just wanted to give OP the benefit of the doubt. I hate to think of someone new to the boards get chased off undeservedly.

#69 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 12:31 AM

I hear you.

I read that the OP *was* there, she saw the chicken stuff, and then chose not to tell her friend. That's outrageous. Too outrageous to be true. If she was really worried about her friend, she would have DEFINITELY stopped her. Then that coupled with her posts in UC, which to me were inflammatory, just iced the cake for me.

Her rebuttals remind me of things I used to say back to my parents when I was caught in a lie.

As to why.... Well, look, her thread has 66 posts. I've never started one that got 66 posts. Maybe it's an attention getting thing.

Has anyone ever studied troll behaviours?
#70 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 12:33 AM

Now see how confused it gets when the posts are deleted?! The op went to meet the midwife, observed the exam with gloveless chicken laden fingers. Her friend who recieved the exam did not observe the lack of handwashing, and was not aware of the chicken handling when confronted with it by the op.

See, I thought it was ridiculous in the begining, and had trouble being serious. Now I believe because I *want* to

(Was it Moulder that had an "I want to believe" poster? :LOL )
#71 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlah

Ohhhhh yeah, absolutely. In no way am I supporting the OP if this is all made up- just questioning why someone would bother to do so, especially here.
Probably so we will all realize how crazy and dangerous it is to go to a midwife, and so we will all line up at the OB's office. She would be preaching to a choir at some other boards. She needs converts.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#72 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 12:44 AM

OK, I've been lurking on this thread (and I might add) I must have missed a bit of the story, b/c I'm wondering where the exam took place. How is it that there was raw chicken in the same place that a rectal examination was taking place?

Was the "midwife" cooking dinner in her kitchen, the op and friend turned up and she said - Hang on a minute, I'll just perform a rectal exam before I pop this chicken in the oven? Here we go, just hop up on my kitchen table, oops, I'll just move the raw chicken and could you be beating the eggs while I do it? thanks.
#73 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 12:57 AM

I'm sorry but, all I can think about is the phrase "tastes like chicken!"...
#74 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 01:06 AM

Just coming along for the ride!

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#75 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 01:13 AM

To me this sounds a lot like a desperate attempt to get attention by a sad little person who has nothing better to do than make inflammatory remarks about midwives. Yes, there may be some nut-jobs out there, but if the OP saw the whole chicken thing and SAID NOTHING, then she's just as bad as the nutjob.

Lisa
#76 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danae
: : :

#77 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Was the "midwife" cooking dinner in her kitchen, the op and friend turned up and she said - Hang on a minute, I'll just perform a rectal exam before I pop this chicken in the oven?
I'm pretty sure she put the chicken in the oven first, before she performed a rectal exam.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#78 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 01:25 AM

I've been following this saga as well and I admit that when I read the first post about the vaginal and rectal exam with ungloved hands that had recently been handling raw chicken I felt like it was a total crock. I read it to my dh and we were :LOL.

My dh went into his Bill Murray/Chevy Chase dialog from Caddyshack, "We have a pond in the back. We have a pool and a pond. The pond would be good for you" :LOL

The whole thing just sounded so outrageous and obviously fake to me.
#79 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder
I'm pretty sure she put the chicken in the oven first, before she performed a rectal exam.
Any sane medical professional would do the same, no?

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#80 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder

WTH? My midwife never cooked dinner for me!
I am gonna have to talk to her about that...

: :
#81 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveharps
was the "midwife" cooking dinner in her kitchen, the op and friend turned up and she said - Hang on a minute, I'll just perform a rectal exam before I pop this chicken in the oven? Here we go, just hop up on my kitchen table, oops, I'll just move the raw chicken and could you be beating the eggs while I do it? thanks.
OMG : : :
#82 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danae

This thread was definitely the entertainment I needed today!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#83 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam's mom
Any sane medical professional would do the same, no?

Without washing her hands? :

Yeah, it's not the "anti-crunchy" attitude, it's the weird behavior and thoroughly unbelievable stories. Totally attention-seeking, like any troll. (Of course, I'm just feeding it-- but it's so funny!) Here's a definition:

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

In other words, this could be an ultra-ultra-ultra-conservative looking for converts, but it's at least as likely that it's a 18-year-old girl just trying to cause trouble. Y'know, go to MDC and make outrageous statements about midwifery, UC, queer parenting... and then hike on over to the Ezzo board and ask if... I don't know... Jesus was really gay.

:LOL
#84 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 04:57 AM

The ungloved exams (including rectal ), the chicken fingers, and 50 degree pond all throw up alarms in my head. However, it was there MW's justification of the ungloved exams "boys and girls touch each other there all the time" (paraphrase) that sent creepy vibes down my back. It's all quite strange and disturbing.

BTW wouldn't both mother and baby STILL be at serious hypothermic risk at 50 degrees? Who cares if the pond isn't frozen. I keep imagining a poor baby being born from her warm comfy womb into a pond nearly 48 degrees below her body temperature. Talk about shock!

And just curious... what level of responsibility does the friend assume if something bad DOES happen?
#85 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 05:16 AM

tracking update: she is in Tribes as pregnant and with a couple kids.
#86 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridley13
WTH? My midwife never cooked dinner for me!
I am gonna have to talk to her about that...
My midwife actually had a "thing" where she and her doula would stick around and make sure everyone had a good meal after delivery. But she had another woman in labor when I gave birth and had left her assistant there. So she told me I needed to eat a good meal because I had worked hard and I could have anything I wanted.... and then she split and left DH holding the proverbial bag!

(He managed to talk the best dinner house in town into delivering one of theor signature steak dinners to our home at 8 pm on a Saturday night. I will never, ever know exactly how.)
#87 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife
I think it's funny how many people are feeding this poster! :LOL
I totally bought it! I have a friend who is seeing a midwife and the midwife did not use gloves when she did an exam at the first visit. By the time my friend realized what was going on she was absolutely mortified and did not stop her because she didn't know what to say. That was still fresh in my mind when I read the first thread, in my defense.
#88 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
I totally bought it! I have a friend who is seeing a midwife and the midwife did not use gloves when she did an exam at the first visit. By the time my friend realized what was going on she was absolutely mortified and did not stop her because she didn't know what to say. That was still fresh in my mind when I read the first thread, in my defense.

I have to say that I don't necessarily think an ungloved exam is, in itself, totally bizarre. If the MWs hands were super-clean, that is. It's not particularly unsanitary.

I mean, I think the MW might be putting herself at some sort of tiny risk, (if she had an tiny open cut or something), but there's nothing super-sterile about latex gloves if they haven't been kept in some sterile package (which most haven't). Not much more sterile than really well-washed hands, anyway.

That said, if I were the MW... Well... I was going to say that I'm not sure I'd want to deal so directly with anyone's bodily fluids, but... I think most MWs are pretty desensitized to that kind of thing :LOL
#89 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
:
Hey, Jesus was born by UC! And in a barn, with animals!
#90 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 06:17 PM

even chickens! :LOL

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page