Talked to my friend about pond birth... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, Okay - I know I'm overthinking this, because it's probably all a hoax, but wouldn't the temperature of the water actually be much colder? The OP said that the temperature outside would probably be around 50 degrees, so it seems to me that the temperature of the water would be well under that.

My parents have a pool. We've been having nice warm days since they opened the pool, the temperature has been high seventies at the least, and high eighties at times since it has been opened. Of course, the nights get cooler than that. The temperature of the pool still is in the mid-sixties.

I know, I need to get a life...
#92 of 112 Old 05-19-2005, 09:28 PM

I was thinking that about the pond too, that's why I asked if it was natural or manmade... a man made pond may have a heater in which case the water may still be quite warm... I still wouldn't want to be in it though with the air only 50 degrees... brrrrrrr!
#93 of 112 Old 05-20-2005, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldasMom
If the friend didn't notice the midwife touching the raw chicken, how was she able to relate this fact to the OP?
my question too.... how could this part of the story be told if she didn't notice?????
#94 of 112 Old 05-20-2005, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbuntz
Before I tell how the conversation went this morning, I'll mention that I live in a warm area and the pond will not be frozen in the winter, maybe it'll be about 50 degrees outside.

I had a talk with my friend this morning about her midwife. She had not even noticed that the lady had picked up two pieces of raw chicken and placed them on a plate before the exam.
My friend did not seem worried at all about her not wearing gloves. She said she has had an exam at each visit like that and the lady has already explained to her that men and women frequently touch each other in places like that w/o having gloves on with no problems. She said gloves hinder the exam and are not necessary since she is not a Dr. that is treating dozens of patients each day. I told her she needs to speak to a Dr. about this because it does not sound right.

My friend is totally brainwashed by this lady. She said the lady has to check the placement of the baby because a wrong placement can lead to an unhealthy baby and a lower IQ.

She's not worried about the pond birth cause she said that all the mosquitos will be gone in the winter and the lady "holistically steralizes" it prior to a birth.

My friend has fallen for this lady hook line and sinker. She was crying at the end of our conversation cause she said she's upset I'm her bestfriend and that I can't see that she is doing something great for her baby. That all of this is safer and healthier than a Dr. with a hospital birth.

I'm afraid this might be the end of our friendship.
I put this hear with quotes because there are a few things like --- she doesn't say she is at the visit but she knows something about the visit that the "pregnant friend" didn't see???

OK then there is some reading weirdness because I do not see "rectal" anywhere..... maybe I have a block in seeing it in this OP???!!!!!

Although I think that this is a Troll post, it is unfortunate that I could also think that this woman knows some very ignorant or mentally ill people. what country does she live in?
You know that one of the things that midwives had over doctors for years was because they were women with many household duties in a day that they constantly hand washed when they went from one thing to another so they had far less infections-- women who were unfortunate enough to have a doctor come to their births were at high risk of getting an infection and dying- from lack of cleanliness-- not just of hand washing but of clothing....
in addition exams at every visit from early on-- are you sure she was doing an internal exam and not just measuring the fundal height?
so maybe she does clean the pond holistically like with those EFM products or something and that would sort of fit in with the other ideas-- in any case as much as i think that a cleaned pond is not too clean I also think that a hospital is probably a by far dirtier place-- think about MRSA, and many other critters that have probably colonized every surface in the hospital
#95 of 112 Old 05-20-2005, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
:
Hey, Jesus was born by UC! And in a barn, with animals!
And without sterile gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs
OK then there is some reading weirdness because I do not see "rectal" anywhere..... maybe I have a block in seeing it in this OP???!!!!!
It was in one of her other posts.
#96 of 112 Old 05-20-2005, 09:30 AM

there were two previous posts, which (with their issuing threads) were deleted, causing much joyous confusion to all. In post #1 the OP spoke of her friend with the weird midwife wanting her to birth in a pond where.. the algae would be naturally vaccinating, etc. In post #2, the OP related meeting to midwife while attending a visit with her friend at the midwife's home (presumably so the OP would become more comfortable with the midwife.). The OP observed the midwife making fried chicken, then performing the exam. (The rectal exam ;-) If this helps... lol
#97 of 112 Old 05-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Banned

#98 of 112 Old 05-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Banned

Well, it could very well be that Lyster OB/GYN who is trolling. Someone on the Case against Circ board really told the truth about her, this troll showed up shortly after that lady posted about Dr Lyster. *Read the P&T Bull$hit Thread and the "Unbelievable" Thread to see the method to my madness*

Basicly, the lady tore, her CNM was unavailable, so Dr. Lyster had to catch the baby, and REPAIRED HER WITHOUT NUMBING. Yup...so that could be our troll.
#99 of 112 Old 05-26-2005, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

I came here to get insight and help for my friend. I have never know anyone to use a midwife or have a holistic birth so I have no idea what is safe and standard practice and what is not. I felt upset and afraid for my friend because the story is straight out of Jerry Springer.
It seems that this board is very judgemental and not open to helping. How can I call and press charges for assault for my friend? It doesn't really work that way if she is fine with it and does not press charges herself. I was hoping to get some advice from people who homebirth safely and this board does not seem to be very friendly towards that.
So believe whatever you want about this post. I came here for help for my friend. Not to harrass or bother anyone. I thought I could get some good info to use to help and her baby.
#100 of 112 Old 05-26-2005, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbuntz
I felt upset and afraid for my friend because the story is straight out of Jerry Springer.
MZ-- And there you have it. Jerry Springer is a put-on. Can you really not understand why we would doubt you?

Hey, I guess stranger things have happened, but the way you described it...

Not to mention the tone of your posts in other threads... (I'm thinking of the UC board)

See, it's not just the insanity of the situation, it's the way you described it-- like when we expressed surprise that one would birth outside in the winter, you backpedaled, conceding that it won't be that cold in the winter-- just 50 degrees. For birth. Outside. In the water. Not that cold? Who doesn't know that's cold?

I mean, it sounded like you were making it up as you went along-- or that you were terribly... naive? Young? Ignorant?

Frankly, since you have seemed somewhat judgemental in other places, I can't understand that you wouldn't have immediately seen that this whole situation was wildly inappropriate-- that you would have just shrugged and felt you needed to ask perfect strangers whether this was normal. You just said it was like something out of Jerry Springer, so I doubt you'd have been convinced by us on the very off-chance we said it was okay. You don't sound like you even needed confirmation that it was bad-- so why ask us?

It sounded like you were fishing for "crazy homebirthers"-- especially as the story got more and more elaborate as we expressed our positions....

It seemed like you were saying "Hmmmmm.... Let me think of something that sounds really bizarre and see if these nuts will agree to it. I know! Pond birth!"

And then we said it was okay, but most of us wouldn't do it-- but gave reasonable, difficult-to-argue-with reasons why waterbirth is perfectly safe. You couldn't say much to that, so you added that the birth was going to take place in winter, the pond had beer cans in it and the algae would holistically sterilize it.

We didn't bite, of course, because that's just terrible practice!

Then you added weirdness about bizarre internal exams involving raw chicken...

It wasn't just the weirdness, but the way you didn't tell the whole story right away. You seemed to keep embellishing it, YKWIM? If the worst of it was the raw chicken and beer cans, why wouldn't you have mentioned those things right off the bat?

Plus... What advice were you looking for? I mean, we're telling you that this is totally bizarre-- not at all normal or holistic, and that, assuming you're telling the truth, you should get your friend out of this "Jerry Springer" situation, etc. And...? It doesn't sound like you have done anything significant for your friend, which would be terribly odd.

Curiouser and curiouser... :

I gotta let this one go...
#101 of 112 Old 05-26-2005, 12:10 PM

I agree with Michelle. And, if it's true that you live in VA, I can tell you that it gets colder than 50' in the winter there.

It's just such a bizarre story that I have serious doubts it's true.
#102 of 112 Old 05-27-2005, 06:43 AM

And I'm sceptical simply because if she was 16 weeks when the saga started, this baby's due late October/ early November. Which, whilst pretty cold, isn't really winter. So, if you want to do something, follow the advice given, pick up the phone and talk to a trained midwife in your area about what's going on.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#103 of 112 Old 05-28-2005, 02:51 AM

Uh, did you see this post mzbuntz had:

"I live about 10 minutes from Sterling. I use to work there at an Urgent Care. There is a really hire demand for nurses in this area. Probably best to go through a medical temping agency to start."

MotheringDotCommune Forums > Welcome To The MotheringDotCommune > Finding Your Tribe > Tribal Areas > Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky
Moving to Sterling, Va area from Florida--need help with housing

Hmm. No spring chicken here. Certainly might have an awful strong opinion about how much safer a hospital birth would be than those nutty, wacky, pond-scum loving chicken midwives. Hmm.
#104 of 112 Old 05-28-2005, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraeileen
Uh, did you see this post mzbuntz had:

"I live about 10 minutes from Sterling. I use to work there at an Urgent Care. There is a really hire demand for nurses in this area. Probably best to go through a medical temping agency to start."

MotheringDotCommune Forums > Welcome To The MotheringDotCommune > Finding Your Tribe > Tribal Areas > Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky
Moving to Sterling, Va area from Florida--need help with housing

Hmm. No spring chicken here. Certainly might have an awful strong opinion about how much safer a hospital birth would be than those nutty, wacky, pond-scum loving chicken midwives. Hmm.

OMG! Busted!

Well, that should put an end to any speculation that she wasn't totally full of cr@p.

I would laugh, but now I'm kinda

What a !

How dare she?

Seriously....

She comes here with either A) a completely bogus story (most likely) or MAYBE B) a true or semi-true story which she KNOWS is horrific-- and then asks us "innocent" baiting questions for which she knows the answers...

Then she acts all indignant when we doubt her?

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!

I came to MDC to get away from idjits like this!
#105 of 112 Old 05-28-2005, 02:01 PM

So what happens now, that a troll amongst us has been discovered? Is she still allowed to post? (That is if she does not leave in shame on her own. )

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#106 of 112 Old 05-28-2005, 02:04 PM

I know this thread has been reported by multiple people, but yet it has remained...
#107 of 112 Old 05-29-2005, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114
Basicly, the lady tore, her CNM was unavailable, so Dr. Lyster had to catch the baby, and REPAIRED HER WITHOUT NUMBING. Yup...so that could be our troll.
I didn't totally follow what you meant so I may have misunderstood, but I've been repaired w/o numbing.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#108 of 112 Old 05-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Banned

that "dr" Also misdiagnosed the degree of her tear, it was 3rd but she only got a 2nd degree repair. The "Dr" said "You wanted a natural delivery you get a natural repair" now this woman has a few fistulas and has been going through reconstructive surgery, and might not be able to birth vaginally ever again.

She posted the story, along with a warning about said "Dr" Lyster on the Case Against Circ board, So, "Dr" Lyster could have found out n blah blah blah. Since she is obviously anti-NCB as well from that statement she made.
#109 of 112 Old 05-29-2005, 10:57 PM

So, wait, you think this person *is* Dr Lyster? I'm unclear, here.
#110 of 112 Old 05-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Banned

I think it could be.

*starts Yoda Voice*
A troll, this person, most definitely is.
#111 of 112 Old 05-30-2005, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114
. The "Dr" said "You wanted a natural delivery you get a natural repair" .
I've had a friend that was told this *exact* thing by a doc, being stitched up from a bad tear. No numbing agent at all. A horrible end to a traumatic birth.

Now I just wanted to comment that I can't believe you all are going back to this OPs other posts and *critiquing* them!! Copy and paste, links, the whole deal. If I were treated that way, I'd leave in a heartbeat. I'm sure some of my posts could be ripped to shreds and be made fun of. Troll or not, which you're not supposed to be labeling people here, btw--you just don't rip people apart like that.

I'm a bit irked, but I'll get over it...

Hope her friend finds a new, REAL mw...

Emily, the super-sensitive one
#112 of 112 Old 05-31-2005, 01:22 AM

I've got to say (with all due respect to Emily, the super-sensitive one) that I have really enjoyed this thread.

Someone who, from all evidence available most CERTAINLY meets the definition of a "troll", comes to MDC and starts baiting the readers.

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, the MDC readers start out by giving advice and offering suggestions.

OP's posts become increasingly difficult to believe.

Mamas from all over, using critical thinking and archival research, point out the holes/discrepancies/contradictions in OP's story.

One mama in particular (thank you, mmaramba! ) clearly outlines the problems with OP's posts for all (including OP) to see.

All in all, it was handled beautifully. The way I see it, there may be a LOT of readers here at MDC who are novices at the discussion board thang, and they may not have a lot of experience with trolls. This thread read like a training manual for dealing with them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page