Calling all Due in Feb '06 Mammas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-20-2005, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it would be nice to converse with like minded mammas due in the same month as me. I'm preggers with #3. I have always wanted a homebirth and have felt empowered by the birth of my other two but they were in the hospital and I knew the enviroment just wasn't what I wanted. I am looking forward to giving birth at home to our third and I hope I will meet many other mammas here with great suggestions and advice.

Even though i have tons of time to find these things $$ is always an issue so I want to plan ahead. I live in Texas and want to rent a birth pool. Any suggestions or links would be appreciated. And where to buy homebirth supplies. My MW brings some but not all.

Babies ready to nurse, gtg

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 06-22-2005, 05:59 PM

Hi! I'm due 2/21 with #2. Had a hospital birth with #1 and am not willing to repeat it. I'm planning ahead as well.

Right now I'm finding m/w's to interview, and have found 2, with the possibility of a couple more. I plan to wait to start prenatal care for a few months.

Why are you renting a birth pool? I think it's much more expensive to do that than to buy the fishy pool or something similar. Not sure what you're situation is.

Best of luck!
#3 of 23 Old 06-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Hi there! I am due the 19th of Feb. with my second. DD was born in the hospital, and even though we tried to go natural, ended up with all the typical hospital interventions. At some point the goal was no longer having a natural birth but avoiding a c-section, which I did. So we for sure want a homebirth this time, and maybe a waterbirth, we are talking about it, but it is still early.

We have met with two midwives and are meeting with another on Friday. As we are meeting with them I am so so glad that we decided to go this route. I just feel so good about it.

I think there have been some threads about different birth pool options-kiddy pools etc. You should check those out, I think I remember there being several options that were not to much $$$.
#4 of 23 Old 06-24-2005, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Hey me too, hopefully. I am having a lot of prenatal testing to rule out a heart defect (DS has a severe one) b/c if there is one, I need to deliver at the hospital with facilities to handle it. But my MW would come with me in that case. She is awesome! I haven't told any of my family about it, though I did tell my friends last night and they were surprisingly cool about it, and thought it was exciting.

I have a giganto tub in my master bathroom--big square one. Planning that for labor and maybe the birth if I feel like it, just depends on how I feel and how the labor is going. I'd really like to deliver in a squat (I've got a fairly small pelvis and had difficulties pushing DS out) and that is kinda hard underwater for the MW to get in there. Not really enough room next to the tub.

For HB supplies, my MW gave me a catalog from Moonflower Natural Products They have a HB kit you can buy plus lots of other supplies. Their # is 800-443-9942
http://www.1cascade.com/

I know someone who just bought a big inflatable kiddie pool and a pump. It was much, much cheaper than renting a birth pool. I think if you just google inflatable pools you'll find something.

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 4 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014. BFP! due 6/26/15- maybe ectopic, maybe not viable. Waiting.
#5 of 23 Old 06-24-2005, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
#6 of 23 Old 06-24-2005, 08:05 PM

Hi-I'm new, and I'm due around February 16th! Cate I would like to find a homebirth midwife in Connecticut. The midwives here don't seem to be on any of the lists, but I know there are some!
#7 of 23 Old 06-25-2005, 03:28 AM

Hi there, new to the forum and glad to find other mammas due in 2/06. My due date is the 24th. #2. Had a birth center birth that went, good, but I want to have this next one home where I (we) belong. Even in a birth center with good midwives I felt that it was too hands on from their perspective. I want to do this on my own with my husband by my side, we'll have a midwife, but just for support if needed, mainly for prego questions, help support etc.., labor is sort of one of those "do-it-yourself" deals...lol
#8 of 23 Old 06-25-2005, 03:41 AM

Hello..I'm due with number 4 Feb. 27...just found out yesterday! Had all 3 before in a hospital and had no problems whatsoever. I will be going to hospital with this birth and could not see having babe at home at all. When babe is born kids will all be 4 and under and we have no help from friends/family out here so I would not put our family through a homebirth. I know I must be a freak to you all but like hospital delivery and never had a problem with it at all...and still bonded with my babe's and never had them "whisked away..taken away" from my side at all. however I would like to try a waterbirth at hospital this time. good luck to you all and your future babes!
#9 of 23 Old 06-26-2005, 10:39 AM

Hi cldistefano, Welcome to MDC

You might find that the February due date club is a better forum for you than Homebirth since you aren't planning to have your baby at home. With all the hormones running around in the pregnancy boards a comment like, "I would not put our family through a homebirth" could be considered inflammatory.

As for the OP, I am planning to have my second (due Feb 10ish) at home with the same midwife and doula as the first time. I'd also like to do a waterbirth this time but I think I'll probably just go for it in a regular tub. My doula and I were laughing the other day about how in my first labor I was in a tiny tiny tub with about 2 inches of water in it and I thought it was heaven! I was doing the whole cat in the broom closet thing!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#10 of 23 Old 06-27-2005, 01:23 AM

Well, I'm due early March, and I am currently planning a HB. Obviously I am in the very early stages, I am still kind of feeling it out, but I have been talking to my DH and he is very open to it. Much moreso than I was expecting, actually. He just wants to talk to the midwife that I choose (when I choose one, LOL) to assure himself that it's "safe", in that she is qualified to know when a transfer is necessary, make sure there is nothing, no situation where it would save the baby's life to be born in a hospital, nothing glaring like that. I think he's doing remarkably well considering HB is NOT the norm in our families and I'm sure it's never even crossed his mind until a couple of days ago. I am starting to get very excited.

I'm going to go to Fry's this week because they have the fishy pool on sale for $11.99.
#11 of 23 Old 06-27-2005, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldistefano
Hello..I'm due with number 4 Feb. 27...just found out yesterday! Had all 3 before in a hospital and had no problems whatsoever. I will be going to hospital with this birth and could not see having babe at home at all. When babe is born kids will all be 4 and under and we have no help from friends/family out here so I would not put our family through a homebirth. I know I must be a freak to you all but like hospital delivery and never had a problem with it at all...and still bonded with my babe's and never had them "whisked away..taken away" from my side at all. however I would like to try a waterbirth at hospital this time. good luck to you all and your future babes!
Feb 06 Due date club Here is the link for the Feb. Due date club.

Welcome, and I hope you find the support at mothering that you are looking for. It sounds like you have recieved wonderful care with your other children. That's so awesome. You are one of the very few people to have had such wonderful experiences in the hospital. What hospital in what state did you deliver? It is so rare to hear about a mother and baby friendly hospital. Congrats to you and I hope this birth is as wonderful as your last 3.

I won't try to speak for any of the other mothers here, but for myself I know I am more scared to deliver in a hospital again than to give birth at home. I trust my body and my instincts and that God has his hand on everything that happens. I am glad that all mothers can make choices for themselves and feel good about those choices no matter what that is.

To the rest of you that have joined in here, I have seen some of you on the Feb due date list, It's nice though to come over here and talk to just mammas choosing homebirth. For those of you who have already had homebirths I look forward to hearing your experiences and what liked and didn't like. (what to avoid.. ect....)

#12 of 23 Old 06-27-2005, 04:26 PM

Hi, I'm Brandi. I am due in feb and will have a homebirth. I have 2 boys both were hospital births. Noah is 2.5 yrs old and Ethan just turned 1. I have found a great midwife and am looking forward to having a homebirth.

Brandi-- Mommy to Noah(2) and Ethan(1)
#13 of 23 Old 06-27-2005, 08:17 PM

#2 is coming sometime in Feb and hopefully at home. =) I'm so excited, I feel so safe about this. #1 was a planned natural hospital birth that ended in a c/sec (that I think was unnecessary). This time, I'm doing a 180. =) Well, to be honest, if I had listened to my heart, DS would have been a HB too. Instead, I listened to insurance/my pocketbook. $3K may be a lot of money, but to avoid what I went through with #1, it is so worth it!
#14 of 23 Old 06-28-2005, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome new mamas. I am so excited about having a homebirth this time.
Melissa: Money was always and issue for us too, but my insurance company has just added the midwife I chose to the in-network list. We will be paying less than half of what we paid for our other two hospital births. And I agree, no amount of money should stop you from getting the birth you desire.

#15 of 23 Old 06-28-2005, 04:59 PM

Hi All! I'm pregnant with #2 due in early Feb. and looking forward to a homebirth. I wouldn't have it any other way.....my first was born at home with Midwife and assistant and dad as the coach. It was the most empowering event of my life! About the water birth thing........that's not my bag, but my mw had a pool I could rent if I wanted. The fishy pools are not the best, so I would definitely invest in renting an Aqua Doula. Most midwives here (in NC) rent them for around $200 if they are available when you give birth! Your mw should have a place where she purchases birth kits. You will be buying your own, (around $50-100) but she should have suggestions on what she wants in the kit. Every mw is different as is every birth. If your mw can't provide that info, you may want to interview another mw. Part of what you pay them for is the knowledge to help you find and get the necessary stuff you need for your birth. You can log onto nchomebirth.com and you may find some links for pools and supplies there. Since Texas is homebirth friendly, I would think you would have a lot of options. Good Luck!
#16 of 23 Old 06-29-2005, 02:12 PM

spoonirooni - Welcome to MDC! Fellow NC'er here - fighting the powers that be regarding homebirth. What area are you in? All I have to say is thank goodness for that website and Charlotte Doulas, or I wouldn't have any midwives to choose from!

Currently, I'm sorting through my birthing options, with homebirth as my 1st choice. I start interviewing midwives this weekend.
#17 of 23 Old 06-29-2005, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Rachel, why don't you have DH go with you when you interview midwives?

My DH was so-so about homebirth when we first looked into it last summer, but after seeing the birth center, then talking with the HB midwife, he had all HIS questions answered and felt more a part of the decision and was so totally on board with HB, more so than I thought he would be. I didn't want him to feel like he was just assenting to my decision, but making it too, as we are in this together My MW also told me she prefers to interview with couples rather than just the mom so everyone is upfront about their hopes & fears.

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 4 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014. BFP! due 6/26/15- maybe ectopic, maybe not viable. Waiting.
#18 of 23 Old 06-29-2005, 02:36 PM

Well, as a matter of fact I just spoke with a MW over the phone for about 40 minutes and I think she's the one!

So I have scheduled an appointment with her and DH is coming. He sounds happy for me.

I actually talked to DH ahead of time and asked him if he would rather interview all the MWs with me or if he wanted me to choose one and then have him come to see her, and he chose the latter.

I feel very, very good about this.
#19 of 23 Old 06-29-2005, 05:03 PM

I'm due Feb 4 (which for me most likely means late January). I'm actually planning to birth at a free standing birth center where my first two babies were born...but my sister is a midwife (soon to be CPM) and is planning to come from out of state to be here for the birth, and if she is here when labor begins I am very open to the idea of just staying home with her and having the baby here rather than trying to get to the birth center, which is nearly 2 hrs away. So, I may be homebirthing, we'll have to see how things end up working out!
#20 of 23 Old 07-05-2005, 09:52 PM

hi everyone,

I am having number 4, due feb 22. I am really trying to convince my husband to get onboard with a homebirth. I am going to take the advice here and have him meet with the midwife, as soon as I find one. I'm not sure a birthing center is even an option for me here as I haven't heard of any in the area, but I guess that is my second choice. I had my previous three at hospitals and had ok experiences but I have many of the same reasons you all have for wanting a home birth. I usually get my way in the end, but of course my way doesn't usually cost him so much money. :LOL
#21 of 23 Old 07-06-2005, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
From my LMP, I should be due in late Feb, but my ept didn't show up until 7/4 (it was neg on 7/1.) So I have no idea if I even belong here! BUT, I do plan on having a HB. My LMP was 5/18, so I may or may not stay on this thread - only time will tell!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#22 of 23 Old 07-06-2005, 12:07 PM

Hi!!

I am due the first week of feb.,but have never made it to any of my due dates.so maybe late Jan.
am planning another homebirth.i had a wonderful midwife in florida with my last baby,but we have moved,so i do not know any midwives here.thinking about going unassisted.we will see!!

Jill
#23 of 23 Old 07-06-2005, 06:58 PM

This may help you find a birth center (or not).
http://www.birthcenters.org/fabc/index.php

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page