Homebirthing Mama Thread (All Due Dates)! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 108 Old 07-05-2005, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mara, that is a great compromise. Unforrunately, I don't think that's what they are aiming for here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 108 Old 07-05-2005, 01:05 PM

Hey ladies. Just popping in to say hello. I've been working like mad trying to get ready for a garage sale. Hoping to totally DE-clutter this house. I totally get the 'early nesting' issue as well. Although, my drive may be as motivated by the fact that we are moving in a couple months, as much as it is by pregnancy.
#63 of 108 Old 07-05-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara
I agree, but I like how our law is written here in Utah, with optional licensing so that midwives who want to have the option of offering drugs (pitocin for hemorage, lidocaine for suturing, oxygen, etc) can have that option but the midwives who aren't interested in those things can still practice legally without regulations.
The midwives here (in Colorado) aren't legally allowed to have Pitocin either. All the ones I've talked to have had the same philosophy, "I'm not stupid enough to go to a birth without it just in case." They don't use it to induce or agument, but they're not going to let a woman hemorage. I appreciate their civil disobedience on this issue.

I had heard that the law allowing midwives to use medications was more to allow them the ability to offer pain relieving drugs to woman at home. Is this incorrect?
#64 of 108 Old 07-05-2005, 02:51 PM

Just popping in to say HI!
#65 of 108 Old 07-08-2005, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Mamas! Checking in...

So glad to see so many women interested in the Homebirthing Mama Thread! That's awesome.

Things are plugging right along for me. I'm still slowly...very slowly...adjusting to the idea of three children. This has probably been one of the hardest things for me to really take in ever. I was so surprised and so shocked that I was pregnant. We were not thinking of three children, so it was a huge surprise! I've known for about a month and I still sometimes can't believe it!

One interesting thing about me is, I think, when Babe3 is born I will be nursing three children. Haven't heard of many Mama's that have done this so if you know of anyone with advice, please let me know. I wonder if the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing has any information on this. My oldest son (3) only nurses to go to sleep and on waking. My second son (1) nurses all day, everyday. I don't see DS1 weaning by the time the little babe is here, so I think I'll spend my days.....nursing.

Also, another concern of mine is how do you sleep with three children in the bed, your husband and yourself. Right now we have our queen bed pushed up to a single and it feels tight. I think my DH who sleeps in the single will soon have his own "snuggler" in there with him. Wonder how this will work. His snoring might decrease :LOL Anyone sleep with three children in the bed?

With DS1 and DS2 I had horrible morning sickness (lay on the couch and moan type sickness) and so far I'm 8 weeks along and NOTHING! I just can't believe it. It was one of my main concerns when I found out I was pregnant again. I couldn't imagine parenting two little people while being so sick. Huge blessing!

Well, I hope all is well with everyone and again, thanks for all your enthusiasm and your interest in this thread! Yeah
#66 of 108 Old 07-08-2005, 09:11 AM

Hi peaceful mama! I understand the stress of imagining triandem nursing (nursing three siblings of differing ages). I've BTDT! Yes, Adventures in Tandem Nursing has some info on triandem nursing, including my story (the first of the Breastfeeding Stories toward the back of the book).

When my third child was born I was nursing my 3.5 year old ds and my 23 month old ds. I triandem nursed Alex, Zack and Haley for over 18 months until Alex self-weaned on his fifth birthday. During pregnancy all I could imagine was nursing non-stop 24 hours a day. It wasn't at all like that ... at least not after the first few weeks :LOL . The first few weeks were pretty intense, but definitely manageable. The bond between my three is amazing! I'm currently pregnant once again and continue to nurse Zack (almost 5) and Haley (3). 10 weeks to go and no weaning in sight for either of them...and Haley still nurses 10 times a day. This time around I'm totally looking forward to triandem nursing! I think my now-6.5 year old Alex gets a bit sad at times that he's not still nursing, because that's something he shared in common with his little siblings when they were born and now he'll be the only one who doesn't have that part to share with baby!

As far as sleeping arrangements...more beds? I didn't have to deal with that problem, as Alex and Zack decided to move into their own room when I was pg with Haley. I usually ended up with everyone in the bed first thing in the morning, but not all night. Right now Haley sleeps with us upon occasion (she's usually in her own bed in the same room)...and whoever else needs to during the night (have you read the book "The Cuddlers"?). We have a queen pushed up to a single as well (dh in the single) and if everyone was in our bed still, I'd push a double up to that! I seriously want a room that has wall-to-wall bed so I don't have to worry about getting squished when everyone wants/needs to sleep together!

It's great that you don't seem to have morning sickness this time around. It was pretty horrible having ms and trying to take care of two or three kids - I had ms with my second two, and not my first two! You got off lucky!!!

10 weeks to go for me...time is absolutely flying!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#67 of 108 Old 07-08-2005, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful mama
Anyone sleep with three children in the bed?
Not yet, LOL. We haven't decided yet if we are going to try to transition Ava & Genevieve to their own bed before the new baby comes, or if we'll give three-kids-in-the-bed a try. Right now we are in a queen and it's getting rather crowded and uncomfortable. We are upgrading to a king next month, so we'll just wait and see how that works. If it's still too crowded, we will most likely put dd's in a full-size bed in their own room (they have occasionally slept in a bed together but without us, and it's always gone well.) Although I'm comfortable with that arrangement as long as dd's are happy, dh gets nervous whenever we talk about it. I think he's afraid he won't be able to sleep without his babies next to him!
#68 of 108 Old 07-08-2005, 11:01 AM

We have a king and a twin, both just the mattress on the floor, next to each other. Ds1, almost 6, sleeps in the twin. Ds2 usually ends up on the twin with him somehow, even though he starts out between dh and me. I sleep on the outside for easy bathroom access. LOL! I'm very happy that ds2 has been sleeping w/ ds1 b/c that will make it much easier when ds3 arrives.

Of course, that might change when I have milk again. We'll see.
#69 of 108 Old 07-08-2005, 01:36 PM

Hello!
I love 'Adventures in Tandem Nursing'--I read it as soon as I found out I was pregnant, and was curious about losing my milk supply.
About the beds, we got a second queen a few months ago and put them against each other on the floor, so our bedroom is practically wall-to-wall bed. But I feel confident that our family can grow quite a bit before nighttimes get crowded so I'm thrilled.

So about why I'm popping in on the homebirthing thread, I'm 35 weeks and 2 days pregnant, (which is cool because my son came at 34+4 and had to be in the NICU for a few days and under nurse's care for another 10 which miraculously didn't destroy our breastfeeding relationship at all thank goodness) and am thinking of having my first homebirth if I make it to full term. I never thought there were any midwives available in the city I live in (I'm in Finland) for a homebirth, since standard care that is free for all involves a midwife birth at the hospital, and if you have clear ideas about what your preferences are, they are very respectful about obeying your wishes....so I figured there wouldn't be much demand for homebirthing. (Finns in general are SUPER mainstream in cultural decisions, so birthing in a hospital isn't questioned, and ending up taking the popular medical interventions also isn't really questioned by anyone I've met) I was wrong! There's an organization right here in the city I live in for natural birthing and they are affiliated with the TWO midwifes in the city who will attend homebirths for those who are 38 weeks along or more. Even on this short of notice it seems they will send me one of those two (a male) midwives if I go far enough into the pregnancy. Yay! My husband is soooo into the idea after we sort of had a long talk discussing every possible scenario that could occur during labor and the pros and cons of being at home vs. a hospital. We figured out that there is virtually no reason we can think of that a c-section would be necessary since baby is already head down and presented properly, I birth very quickly and easily if last time is any indicator (even though he was my first baby, he just came right out of me like it was no big deal---I have a very, very strong uterus!)...etc....etc.....it just isn't likely that this isn't going to go smoothly. We are so close to the hospital so if the midwife felt that it was necessary to transfer, it wouldn't be more than a five minute drive to get me to the hospital. My gut tells me I should just set up a birthing tub and squirt this little boy out once my uterus gets serious with the contractions and I know it's time (I may sound cavelier, but my son was born in about 90 minutes, start to finish, so I just can't conceive of a stalled-out-process), and not stress about things going wrong because, well, they just aren't likely to! More dangerous to drive down the city streets on the way to the hospital than for things to go wrong on this boy's exit from my womb, is how I feel about it right now.

So, I hope I go another 12 days and can be considered for a midwife attended homebirth here in my apartment. I'm really excited about it.
#70 of 108 Old 07-08-2005, 04:12 PM

HI! This is baby # 4 for us. My first three were born in the hospitla with CNM. I can't really say anything bad about them I absolutley adored my last midwife (all three were didfferent midwifes.) I was planning on using her again but we moved and our move gave us the chance to have a homebirth. In MA the only way we could do a homebirth was if we paid all expenses and we just couldn't afford. I looked into it with my third baby before finding the incrediable midwife I ended up using. Here in NH medicaid will pay for hombirths if you use a CNM. Which I think is wonderful! My midwife does work out of a birth cottage ( free standing center) also. I have my first appt there on the 11th and I am a little worried that once I see it I will want to go there it just looks so wonderful in the brochure fomr the showers to the birth tub.
Oh my due date is OCt 15
#71 of 108 Old 07-08-2005, 04:20 PM

Thought I'd add mine - due sometime mid January 06 (not sure of dates). Planning a vbac homebirth/waterbirth. This is our second child and first homebirth!
#72 of 108 Old 07-08-2005, 04:23 PM

hey mamas... just wanted to let you know of a reporter who is seeking to interview women who have or are currently dealing with care provider/ hospital challenges while planning a VBAC. among others, she is specifically looking to interview women who are planning homebirth to successfully VBAC. read more here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=311697

peaceful pregnancies to you all...

warmly,
claudia
#73 of 108 Old 07-08-2005, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Add me to the list! This is baby #2, 1st homebirth for us.

DS was born in the hospital with CNM...medwife extraordinaire who spent most of the labor at home cooking for christmas dinner (I gave birth christmas eve). While I was pushing there was an extended discussion of which nurse was going to go to her house and take the turkey out of the oven...excuse me, I'm working hard here!!!

Anyway, DS has a severe heart defect and the aftermath of his birth was pretty traumatic, I'm still being treated for PTSD and can't go near a hospital without a panic attack. So, homebirth it is!

We have a fairly low chance of another heart defect but I will have extensive prenatal testing to rule it out, since HB would be dangerous if there is a heart problem and I'll have to deliver at the hospital with the level III nicu...which is my backup hospital in any case. I feel pretty comfortable with my MW (had hired her last fall but ended up m/c at 12 weeks) and with her experience in trauma situations. I am looking forward to spending the hours after birth WITH my baby and not alone in a hospital room sick with worry

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 4 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014. BFP! due 6/26/15- maybe ectopic, maybe not viable. Waiting.
#74 of 108 Old 07-09-2005, 01:49 AM

Amanda ~ This is also my 4th and I'm due in October.
#75 of 108 Old 07-09-2005, 05:15 AM

I wanted to say that my nausea this pregnancy was NOTHING like last time. Somewhere in the tandem breastfeeding book she mentions the hormones in breastfeeding supressing some of the nausea. (Surely, I didn't dream this?) Anyway, each time I started feeling queasy I'd grab DD and we'd sit down to nurse. Don't know if it's physical or mental... but it worked! The only vomitting I had this time around was a result of the flu.

Angelica, I've been surprised how supportive the environment here in Germany is for HB. Much like finland the local hospitals due tend to be natural minded with midwives in attendance at each birth. I won't be delivering baby 2 here in Germany, otherwise I'd be talking to the local midwives about a HB this time in Germany. (Although, we are military, and I am not sure about regulations regarding birthing in base housing. lol.)
#76 of 108 Old 07-09-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaEvans
The midwives here (in Colorado) aren't legally allowed to have Pitocin either. All the ones I've talked to have had the same philosophy, "I'm not stupid enough to go to a birth without it just in case." They don't use it to induce or agument, but they're not going to let a woman hemorage. I appreciate their civil disobedience on this issue.

I had heard that the law allowing midwives to use medications was more to allow them the ability to offer pain relieving drugs to woman at home. Is this incorrect?
Not in Utah. Maybe in other states. DOPL (dept. of professional licensing) and everyone is still working hard to draw up the specifics of the licensing so I haven't seen any official product yet. But, As far as I am aware, in Utah, the meds are more for emergency stuff. Except the sterile water that is being allowed for those papules on the back for back labor. That is the only pain relief "drug" I am aware of that was written into the law. Other states may vary and I am ignorrant on the laws of other states, I have been so focused on the local situation the last few years tring to get things done. But it is now official that midwifery is not the practice of medicine and as long as they don't want to use regulated drugs they are free to practice unregulated without fear again. If they want to use the drugs, they can get lisenced. It seems like a great compromise to me

I too am glad up til now the underground midwives have been practicing civil disobedience.

**I can be added to the list BTW, I am having homebirth #2, baby "due" July 21 **
#77 of 108 Old 07-10-2005, 11:41 AM

Hello Everyone! Baby #2 here, first homebirth, edd 8/28/05. I was induced at 38 weeks w/ds for pih, so I'm curious to see when Wee Bitty will be here. My mom assures me that boys are late, girls are early (which worked in her case, but she also smoked w/her 3 girls and not the boys!) My blood pressure is fine this time around and the only bump has been that I failed the 1 hour glucose and had to take the 3 hour, which I passed "with flying colors."

I was put on strict bedrest at 35 weeks w/ds and as I appoach that week w/this pregnancy, I am getting a little antsy, I think I'll be fine once it's past, but it's the anticipation that's the killer. Ds's birth was w/medwives in a supposedley excellent hospital (where the head nursery nurse told me that I was "starving my baby" by not supplementing w/formula on day 3) with Mag Sulfate, Cervadil, Pitocin, AROM, Epidural but no episiotomy or c-section - thank goodness.

Ds was born blue and floppy and had to spend some time w/Papa by his side in the NICU (apparently a common side effect of mag sulfate that we hadn't been told about.) Another common side effect of the mag was that I hallucinated from the time I was put on it Thursday afternoon until they took me off 24 hours after ds's birth on Sunday! So I have no recollection of labor, contractions, the placenta or ds's first 24 hours. I do remember pushing (all 20 minutes), but not ds being placed on my stomach. There are pictures of me holding ds when he's a couple of hours old, no memory, sil and mil both got to hold and coo over him and there are pictures of that, no memory. We came home from the hospital and ds had no latch (the nursery staff had been suplementing w/a syringe and would just squeeze his mouth open and squirt) but w/the help of an excellent LC, we're still nursing 2 years later!

Wow - sorry to go on about ds's brith like that, I guess I just got on a roll....but that's one reason why we're going w/the homebirth. I also think it'll help ds w/the transition from 1 to 2 if he sees the baby being born (if he's interested at the time of course) and nurses w/Wee Bitty after he/she's born. Of course, this could all just be wishful thinking on my part too!

Seeing all you mama's "due" after me makes me feel like maybe August is coming after all. Still have to order some birth supplies and get the diapers/clothes washed and put away, but we have time yet, right?

My best friend will be here to take care of ds and we're birthing w/a doc-attended hombirth practice, but don't have a doula, which I'm kind of worried about. Our insurance doesn't cover the cost of prenatal visits and homebirth, so those bills have been quite the wake up (ds's birth ended up costing us $10!!!) I'm trying to do Hypnobabies, but w/a 2 yo who wants to only spend time w/Mama, it's a little hard to find even 30 minutes of time to get to practice like I should/need to.

Ok, enough blabbing for now, can't wait for these birth stories to start coming in!!!

Happy Gestating!
#78 of 108 Old 07-10-2005, 01:46 PM

Anguschick1,
Wow... that's quite the birth story. It makes me want to cry thinking about all those missed 'first' moments with your baby. And, yes, August is coming quick! I keep thinking November is forever away... and then I hear about someone due in March, and I realize. Oh. Not as far as I imagine!
#79 of 108 Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 PM

anguschick ~ Welcome! That's pretty unique that you have a OB practice that attends HBs!
#80 of 108 Old 07-14-2005, 02:27 PM

Hello! Mind if I join? I have 2 kids, a Dd age 4 and a Ds age 2 and am expecting #3 December 8th.

Dd was a horrible hospital birth, no epidural, just one dose of Nubain, but the whole experience was just BAD.

Ds was a BEAUTIFUL planned homebirth.

We're planning a water homebirth for this baby and I am so looking forward to it!

Bethany

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#81 of 108 Old 07-14-2005, 02:55 PM

Agnuschick, where are you from? We also use a Doc attended homebirth practice. Homefirst, in IL. My mom used the same Doc for the home births of my older brother and myself. It was really cool to be able to meet the Dr. who delivered me. Dr. Meyer Eisenstein. He's an awesome person! His practice totally supports not circumcising, not vaxing, (although they leave the decision up to the parents) and they INSIST on BFing.

#82 of 108 Old 07-14-2005, 03:08 PM

we're using homefirst here also. due in August. first baby.
#83 of 108 Old 07-14-2005, 03:26 PM

Yep, Homefirst here too. Hmmm, KLK7, the doc could be going straight from your birth to mine - kooky.

I have a question for you Homefirst mamas...Have you met all the docs? Which one do you like the best? I haven't met Dr. Doxtater yet, but have all the others and I have to say, a couple of them, well, I'm not real happy w/their "bedside manner." Just wondering if you had that experience or if it was just me.

I'm leaning more and more towards just having the doc essentially hang out w/ds and my gf (who's watching ds) until I feel I need them. The closer I get to my birthing time, the less I like people in general and the more I want to just retreat into myself/a hole w/dh and ds. I'm hoping they're going to be cool w/that. Also - not sure on their position on eating the placenta rather than resorting to pitocin first thing if bleeding is a little heavy after the birth. I'll have to ask about that at some appointment soon.

Did anyone else here end up laboring/delivering basically on your own until you called the "expert" in? After all the crap w/ds's birth, I really want this one to be calm, quiet and peaceful both for Wee Bitty's benifit and mine as well. Thoughts on helping to make that happen?
#84 of 108 Old 07-14-2005, 06:37 PM

I just met Dr. Doxtater at my last appt and LOVED her. She was so nice! I felt instantly at ease with her, unlike some of the other Docs. At my son's birth I had Dr. Lo (not sure if he's still at the practice or not, a lot of changes haven taken place in the last 2 yrs). The birth was actually the first time I'd met him. I never had a prenatal with him. He was nice enough though. I was already about to push when he showed up, labor was pretty fast for me. Until it was apparent that the baby was about to be born, Doc was in the 2nd bedroom laying down (it was a middle of the night birth) and I just had my Dh, my mom, a nurse, and a CNM in training with me. Then when my son was coming out, Dr. Lo just sort of stood and directed the CNM on what to do. It was a very pleasant, calm experience. I wouldn't worry about any of the Dr's being too intrusive or anything. They're pretty much just there to "catch" the baby. Then after Ds was born Dr. Lo didn't hang out for too long, maybe an hour or so. And he was downstairs with the rest of the family while the nurse and CNM stayed in my bedroom. They stayed for about 3 hours I think it was. But at no point did I feel like, all right, go home already. The two of them just sort of lounged on the floor whispering really quietly while baby and I "napped". They thought I was napping but I wasn't, I just had my eyes closed. It was a very warm fuzzy time for me if that makes any sense.

That's really cool that there are other Homefirst mamas on here! It'll be great to hear how your births go!

Bethany

#85 of 108 Old 07-16-2005, 04:21 AM

I am having my first and will be homebirthing. I'm in California where there are a fair number of HB midwives, but the legal situation is really bizarre. Statute allows CPM to practice legally and carrying all the equipement, etc, but require OB backup. There is no OB backup.

I'm due in November and very much looking forward to it.
#86 of 108 Old 07-18-2005, 11:20 AM

Hi, I am Christy and I am planning my third homebirth (expecting #3), and am due in the middle of October this year. I go through a freestanding birthcenter and take their homebirth option. I have just entered the third trimester, and am getting excited. I wanted to be exposed to some more positively minded mamas, so I decided to check out this message board. I am on a couple of mainstream ones (they are like a giant soap opera of birth UGH) and I want to get away from that!

HUGS

Christy

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#87 of 108 Old 07-18-2005, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguschick1
Yep, Homefirst here too. Hmmm, KLK7, the doc could be going straight from your birth to mine - kooky.

I have a question for you Homefirst mamas...Have you met all the docs? Which one do you like the best? I haven't met Dr. Doxtater yet, but have all the others and I have to say, a couple of them, well, I'm not real happy w/their "bedside manner." Just wondering if you had that experience or if it was just me.
I have met all of the docs except Dr. Rosi.

Dr. Doxtater is nice. She is on call only 1 weekend per month though. She is really young, btw. DH is not comfortable with someone that young delivering our baby in case of emergency since it is our first baby.

I also have been not happy with some of the drs. bedside manner. They are all just "ok" in my book, probably because they are often running so far behind (1 hr. or more at times) that I get frustrated and have a bad attitude. And I tried to refuse the GTT and the dr. wouldn't let me, even though I thought I presented my case thoroughly.

I don't have one I like best. :
#88 of 108 Old 07-18-2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK7
I also have been not happy with some of the drs. bedside manner. They are all just "ok" in my book, probably because they are often running so far behind (1 hr. or more at times) that I get frustrated and have a bad attitude. And I tried to refuse the GTT and the dr. wouldn't let me, even though I thought I presented my case thoroughly.

I don't have one I like best. :
I so could have written this myself. Dh said today (after my apt w/Dr. Doxtater who he said, "She's so young, how does she have a baby and be a dr -she's like, 24 or something"!) that he didn't feel "really comfortable" w/any of them, he's sure they know their medical stuff, but they are sooo medical. Oh well, at least it's a step forward to have a homebirth this time, next time we'll do homebirth AND midwife!
#89 of 108 Old 07-18-2005, 11:36 PM

Hi! I am new here, but thought I would join in. I am expecting sometime at the end of December, on or around New Years Eve, and am planning my first homebirth. My three year old son was born in a hospital with all the bells and whistles (and all the horrible stuff that comes along with it) despite my husband and my desires for a natural, low-intervention birth. After suffering through my previous hospital experience I am getting more and more excited about the prospects of a homebirth, especially when I am able to read the stories and info. from people on boards like this! We are using a Licensed Midwife who has my complete confidence. I found her through two friends who have birthed 9 children combined with her at home (no tears, no episiotomies, no hospitals, etc)! I am just trying to read as much as I can to prepare myself for this new experience, but I feel truly at peace with our decision to birth this way and hope that all goes for the best.

Mom of three (1st baby girl born at home in the water 12/16/09 ), lactation consultant and doula. Always in search of more information!
#90 of 108 Old 08-08-2005, 04:22 PM

What happened to this thread. It just stopped all of sudden. Do we want a new one?

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page