Would like professional opinion on birth "essay" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-20-2002, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey wonderful midwives & doulas.....

I've been trying to write a birth essay (the term "birth plan" seems to be a bit of an oxymoron to me) over these past couple weeks. Today, I buckled down and finished it. I have two awesome midwives whom I am very comfortable with and a beautiful, inviting birth center where I'll be delivering. I didn't bother covering a few things, since their birth philosophy falls in line very closely to my own. I'd just like to get some of your opinions, as if you received this from one of your clients.

Thanks so much! Lisa

Our Thoughts on Birth:

Kelly and I believe that birth is a fundamentally normal, healthy process, best described by French physician, Dr. Michel Odent, “One cannot help an involuntary process. The point is not to disturb it.” It is with this philosophy in mind that we have chosen Puget Sound Midwives & Birth Center, specifically, our midwives, Ali & Heike, to help guide our baby girl into the world.

To this event, we wish for our birthing environment be treated with the upmost respect; lowered voices, dim lighting, candlelight if there is time. I am a modest person, by nature, even in labor. This is one of the reasons I am planning for a waterbirth; so that my lower half can be submerged in the water and I can wear a bikini top. The warm, watery, enclosed space is not dissimilar to the womb, itself, and I’m hoping it will help me connect with my daughter and make her transition between the womb and the outside world as gentle as possible.

When I learned I was pregnant with my first child, I prepared myself by reading about, praying for, and believing in the kind of birth I wanted. I learned about the fear/pain cycle, and through prayer, allowed myself to be freed of anxiety about labor pain. Kelly and I have prepared similarly for this baby. Our faith in God is of paramount importance to us. King David, writing under God's inspiration, said of His Creator: "For it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven…..your eyes beheld my unformed substance. In your book were written all the days that were formed for me, when none of them as yet existed" (Psalm 139:13-16, New Revised Standard Version).

We believe that a God who is big enough to so perfectly form little eyes and ears and tiny fingers and toes and every single part of a little person is certainly big enough to work out the details of their coming into the world.

A few thoughts on the third stage of labor, following delivery: It is our desire that I be able to breastfeed our daughter, exclusively. Should this not be possible immediately following birth, my desire is to pump breastmilk for her. Our baby’s umbilical cord blood will be full of valuable T-cells which have cancer-fighting properties. To permit normal placental transfusion and optimize her blood volume, we wish to delay clamping and cutting of the cord until all pulsation has ceased. Our most important request is that at no time do we want any foreign substances injected into or applied to our daughter without our consent (i.e. no hepB vaccination, no erythromyacin ointment and no Vitamin K injection).

It was through much prayer and meditation that we have come to this point and we thank God that He has provided us with such wonderful midwives and a safe, inviting environment in which our daughter can make her entrance into this world.

Warmly,

Lisa & Kelly
#2 of 5 Old 11-20-2002, 08:06 PM

Sorry, I'm not a midwife, but I want to say that your essay sounds beautiful!
#3 of 5 Old 11-21-2002, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Aww, thanks owensmom! DH thinks it sounds a little gooey.....but then again, he's a guy. Its tough writing those things!

Lisa
#4 of 5 Old 11-21-2002, 04:27 AM

That is beautiful! I think your midwives will really appreciate it!
#5 of 5 Old 11-21-2002, 02:07 PM

I think your midwives will too. I know mine asked me questions about religious preferences and such - If you were going to them I think they would appreciate and understand everything you wrote!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page