has the "hospital" part of birth started to sound strange to anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-03-2005, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone offered to keep dd while we are "at the hospital having the baby"- I told her great we didn't have anyone else lined up. It sounded wierd to me though and i might have to find a way to casually bring up that we're not actually going to the hospital unless there is an emergency. We did have dd in a hospital so i guess it shouldn't sound so wierd.

There is a commercial on the radio that is talking about new houses and said something about having your first baby in your first house. It took me a few times listening to the commercial to realize they probably didn't mean that literally. :LOL

Anyone else?
#2 of 11 Old 08-04-2005, 12:57 AM

Yeah, me too! I teach several different classes (breastfeeding, babywearing, cloth diapering, etc) in my city and I really have to be careful not to "leave anyone out", KWIM? Like I have to say, check with your OB or your midwife or your caregiver or yourself or...well, whoever! :LOL

What's really funny is when I read a thread today on my "other" due date board about a TV program depicting all these incredibly "horrifying" "dangerous" births that happened before the mom could reach the hospital. Everyone is SO afraid that might happen to them and I'm like, are you kidding? Have a lovely quick labor with no one nosing in on you all the time, and a perfect healthy baby to boot? Sign me up! Full term babies don't come that quickly and easily, generally, unless all is well.
#3 of 11 Old 08-04-2005, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Story of my life.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#4 of 11 Old 08-04-2005, 11:01 AM

Me too. I was born at home and my sister was born at home and my mom is a midwife and all her friends had their babies at home and lots of my friends have had their babies at home and both my sons were born at home and sometimes I forget that people go to the hospital for normal birth. It just doesn't make sense to me. What's even weirder is people birthing at the hospital when they know about the option of homebirth and know how normal it is and are having normal pregnancies/births themselves - If you had all the information you would choose home birth, right? I just don't see the point of bothering with going to a hospital or a birth center, yk? But it's just my experience that I can't reconcile. I'm sure folks have their reasons.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#5 of 11 Old 08-04-2005, 12:47 PM

One of my sisters gave me a "going home from the hospital" outfit for the baby. Then I laughed and she said, "I mean a going from the living room to the bedroom outfit!" :LOL

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#6 of 11 Old 08-04-2005, 01:03 PM

My first two were born at the hospital. Up until now my DH was completely unsupportive of a homebirth. But thank goodness he is on board this time. My then 2 yr old was at the birth of my DD #2 last July. The other day I had a cramp and yelled ouch, she ran to my side and said is it time to go to the midwife at the hospital and have our baby. I told her no, and said that when it was time mommy was staying at home to have the baby and our new midwife would come to our house. She looked at me funny and said No way, your funny mommy. I couldn't believe my 3 year old was already so normallized to the hospital. I hope this homebirth will help her make better decisions for herself someday.

I am lucky, most of my family is being pretty supportive. I know I am so excited. This is how I always thought my babies would be born, and it's finally going to happen.

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
#7 of 11 Old 08-04-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama
One of my sisters gave me a "going home from the hospital" outfit for the baby. Then I laughed and she said, "I mean a going from the living room to the bedroom outfit!" :LOL
LOL. I was writing a list of things we need to buy/do before the baby gets here, and a "going home outfit" popped into my head. And I thought...."Wait a minute! The baby isn't going anywhere!" lol

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#8 of 11 Old 08-04-2005, 04:09 PM

Yeah, and I had my first one at a hospital. People we talk to sometimes act like a homebirth must be so much extra work, but I am realizing more and more how much of our preparation last time was about figuring out how to deal with the hospital environment. And stopping in the middle of this really intense life event to pack everything up and drive someplace else just seems strange. There are some circumstances in which I would choose that, but I am glad I don't have to.
#9 of 11 Old 08-04-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldasMom
I am realizing more and more how much of our preparation last time was about figuring out how to deal with the hospital environment.
Exactly! Dd was a hospital birth, and I can't even compare the two, really. It seems like a different world now..

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#10 of 11 Old 08-04-2005, 06:39 PM

There was a billboard in Burlington, NC that used to crack me up. Now you have to understand that Burlington is sort of a suburb to a larger city, Greensboro. And that a lot of women who live in Burlington decide they will have their baby at the Greensboro hospital because it's "better", in their opinion. Bigger facility, better NICU, I don't really know. Anyway, this billboard was for the Burlington hospital to promote women staying at the local hospital to deliver their babies. But what it actually said was:

Have your baby at home

and then there was a bunch of smaller text about the benefits of not having to travel so far and how the local hospital could totally meet all of a woman's birthing needs

I guess the people who came up with the billboard thought it was really clever but all I could ever think when I saw it was, "Yeah! Have your baby in your own home !!!"
#11 of 11 Old 08-04-2005, 10:27 PM

My husband laughs at the commercials we see on TV or at a regular show when a woman goes into labor in an elevator or car or "stuck" at home during a storm and the person that is with them is almost terrified. He always comments to me like "you would be so excited and think nothing of it if you were in an elevator and a womans water broke etc.." Which is true I love being a part of the miracle of birth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page