Midwife Gifts? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 09-21-2005, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got this Humane Wool Pregnancy Fairy for one of my midwives - gave it to her today and she LOVED it.

My other midwife was admiring a piece of birth art my kids made for me, so we are making one for her as well.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#32 of 59 Old 09-22-2005, 02:22 AM

What a lovely fairy! That is tempting, though I had wanted to stray from a midwife/pregnancy specific gift...very tempting.
#33 of 59 Old 09-24-2005, 12:51 PM

i went with a more "traditional" gift and got her basket with lots of different bath items. she doesn't have much time to take bubblebaths but looks forward to them when she can.
#34 of 59 Old 09-30-2005, 02:15 AM

I just blundered into this online and had to share. I'm bookmarking this thread and hoping to need it someday for myself.

Spiritual Midwifery Cafe Press items - t-shirts, mugs, messenger bags, etc.
#35 of 59 Old 10-01-2005, 04:03 AM

I'm going to knit my midwife a womb:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTwomb.html

Because who needs a hand knitted womb more than a midwife? No one!
#36 of 59 Old 10-01-2005, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara
What do you think of plants? Are plants OK for a MW gift? I saw the cutest little plants, pincushins I think, at wild oats the other day.
I saw these! They are so cute! I was ooooing and ahhhhing over them, and dh was giving me the "yeah we need more plants" look.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#37 of 59 Old 02-06-2006, 01:15 AM

Bump

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#38 of 59 Old 02-06-2006, 01:23 AM

My MW loved the womb I knit her! Seen here:
http://www.abigailvr.net/knitting/womb1.jpg
http://www.abigailvr.net/knitting/womb2.jpg

I'm also giving her a pocket-sized breastfeeding resource book because she was telling me how she wished she had a smaller one. I hope it comes before my six week check up!
#39 of 59 Old 03-14-2006, 05:38 PM

We treated our birth team to a mocha/latte after the birth. I had my mom take everyone's order and bring drinks for everyone. My mw's espcially loved and really appreciated this. I know for many midwifes attending births and coffee go hand in hand, LOL, so maybe a gift basket filled with gourmet emergency coffee treats .
#40 of 59 Old 03-15-2006, 03:22 PM

Great Ideas, I have got to think of one. I never though of giving my MW a gift. I think I will make one for my Doula also. Its a wonderful idea to give a gift to these ladies. I wish I could afford a Vulva Puppet (has anyone seen these) or I think its called a Yoni puppet, my doula would love these shes kooky like that. I am going to try to knit that uterus, and make the vagina coin purse, that one is...well there are now words to describe it I just like it. I looked at the vulva puppets they are mighty expensive but so cool, I love them i want one so bad. DH would think I am crazy.

I like the gift basket ideas. I could put two together that would be great, i just have to figure out what they would be in need of. My mw has 5 kids one is about the leave the house and go out into the world, she a wonderful christian woman who is pretty laid back, I'd like to get her something for her not pertaining the midwifery. My Doula is a super crunchy woman, has two boys 4 and almost a year i think she is really laid back and totally into being a doula, she's pratices a non-christian religion I believe an Earth-Mother religion but I havent asked cause it dosent matter, it helps to know when picking a gift though so I dont get something she wont use.

Anyways anygood ideas for gift baskets?
#41 of 59 Old 03-15-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama
I personally always prefer an inexpensive thoughtful gift to an expensive one, and a handmade gift really makes me feel special!

I don't have any good ideas for midwife gifts though, wish I did cause I want to give mine something special. I'll sleep on it and see if anything comes to me...

Here, here! What could be more personal and meaningful than something you make yourself with your midwife in mind? I am a videographer (and yes, hope to videotape all I can throughout the delivery!) and plan to edit some footage and photos to music. I also love sewing and crocheting, and anyone with experience in those departments can come up with all kinds of creative ideas to put together with little money.
#42 of 59 Old 03-19-2006, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With my last son we had a midwife and student midwife. The student did the actual delviery. So at my six week visit I brough the student a photo album and a page I had made for her with a picture of her and I and baby and pic of baby with his name and stats. I told her she could now keep track of all the babies she gets to delivery over her life as a midwife. She seemed very please and said she had been keeping pics of all the babies and now had a way to put them together.

Hope that helps someone else!!

Think this time I am going with the basket with special quotes in it. Kinda of for the whole office..

Still need a very special idea for my best friend who is planning on delivering this one.

s
#43 of 59 Old 04-01-2006, 02:12 PM

I got our midwife a teaching stethescope so that we and others who prefer not to use the dopler can hear along with her. We gave it to her earlier in the pregnancy. We also got her a "Beauty of Breastfeeding" calendar for Christmas. I hope that "counts" as we didn't get her anything after baby came.
#44 of 59 Old 04-02-2006, 04:16 AM

When I was pregnant I noticed my midwife's office was full of birthy trinkets, collected from patients I assume. They were fun to look at but I also thought that after twenty years it might get a little old, so I straight up asked her if there was any particular store or restaurant that she really liked. She immediately said "Whole Foods!" so we got her a gift certificate from there. It wasn't particularly creative but I felt good knowing we got her something she wanted and would really enjoy.
#45 of 59 Old 04-03-2006, 03:52 PM

I imagine MWs' homes get quite full with all this kind of crafty stuff. So I made her a gift basket with food. Homemade biscotti, spiced apple cider mix, homemade toffees, brownies, stuff like that. We wrapped it up in packing paper that my daughter had been using to draw pictures of the birth and of the midwife. I figured she could always re-use the basket to give to a client along with her birth kit, and the edibles, well, she had a teenager. So even if she didn't like them, they were gone.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#46 of 59 Old 04-03-2006, 03:53 PM

I imagine MWs' homes get quite full with all this kind of crafty stuff. So I made her a gift basket with food. Homemade biscotti, spiced apple cider mix, homemade toffees, brownies, stuff like that. We wrapped it up in packing paper that my daughter had been using to draw pictures of the birth and of the midwife. I figured she could always re-use the basket to give to a client along with her birth kit, and the edibles, well, she had a teenager. So even if she didn't like them, they were gone.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#47 of 59 Old 04-05-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMom
This is so cool....the Good Gifts Catalogue "buy a bike for a midwife in Ethiopia" Bikes for Midwives (costs about $55) Probably my 1st choice.
I love this idea! Unfortunately the company is charging a £10 fee because I am not in the UK... does anyone know of a similar US based company?
#48 of 59 Old 02-07-2007, 04:57 PM

I am going to go with the Bicycle for an international midwife in need. www.goodgifts.org Any good midwife would like nothing better than to 'grease the wheels', so to speak, of her profession the world over. This is a perfect way to do that, and show your appriciation. Of course, I think she deserves a chocolate diety too! www.chocolatedeities.com I recently ordered a valentine gift from them (by phone) and the woman who answered was terrific. I will most certainly be a repeat customer there. Happy shopping!
#49 of 59 Old 02-08-2007, 12:25 AM

OK....I want to see a "vulva puppet" and "placenta print"

Anyone have a link to pictures of either one???

The placenta print....do you actually use the placenta as a STAMP???:
#50 of 59 Old 02-08-2007, 01:16 PM

http://www.yoni.com/loverf/vulvaintro.shtml

Follow this link to see some Vulva puppets. I really like the idea and they're cute too, but expensive IMO.

My DH and I made placenta prints so I do have photos, but I'm not sure how to get them up on a post. I know that there have been other threads about this on the HB forum, so maybe do a search. You pat blood onto the placenta/cord and the press the paper onto it to make a print. It looks like a tree of life. Pretty cool.
#51 of 59 Old 02-08-2007, 11:27 PM

Last time I gave my MW a CD -- she had asked what musci was playing during part of my labor and she really like it - so I got her a copy. This time I'm going to knit pillows for my MWs, doulas, and other support folks (wow, that's a lot of knitting to do in a few short weeks) with the idea of thanking them all for the "comfort and support" during my pregnancy (I know a little cheesy... okay a lot cheesy )
#52 of 59 Old 02-09-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole B View Post
OK....I want to see a "vulva puppet" and "placenta print"

Anyone have a link to pictures of either one???

The placenta print....do you actually use the placenta as a STAMP???:
Here's a picture of the placenta prints my doula made for us after our birth last month. http://www.flickr.com/photos/3253261...n/photostream/

Yep you use it as a stamp. She laid it out flat on a surface then took the paper and pressed it right down on top of the placenta. Pretty cool.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#53 of 59 Old 02-09-2007, 01:46 PM

I am getting my 2 midwives and my doula a framed tile from here:
http://www.cafepress.com/motherdoulacare

for their home or office.
#54 of 59 Old 02-10-2007, 07:23 PM

I just bought this for their birth center

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=456269
#55 of 59 Old 03-21-2007, 12:59 AM

Thank you Laura and Allison
I LOVE the placenta print
How wonderful that the print from a placenta looks like a growing tree!
#56 of 59 Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 PM

Hello Everyone,
In case you haven't seen these, they make amazing midwife gifts-and especially if you do a basket with a few different products. I'm also going to be adding some wire "house-shaped" baskets, with the Mamas in Bloom, which will become my Homebirth Baskets, and I'm not sure how at this point, but I am planning on making that particular item a fund-raising one to support Birth Choices.

Here's a link: www.bloominbellysoaps.com

With Joy,
Marcie

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#57 of 59 Old 03-27-2007, 07:46 PM

subbing, great ideas!
#58 of 59 Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Anybody who can't afford most of the things listed above have any ideas. LOL! We're pretty poor right now. I was thinking of just giving them a few handmade soaps (I make soap), but I wish I could think of something else. I feel like here, here's some soap! is just kinda not enough. Maybe I'll give them that for now and draw some pics of my newborn babe to give later. I haven't drawn in a long time, it's about time I got back to it.
Some hand made soaps were among my favorite gifts from clients. I love good soaps and it's not often I can afford to buy them for myself. Things like lovely hand made soaps require so much love and good energy to come out right, it's always a great pleasure to be gifted with them.
#59 of 59 Old 10-11-2007, 05:58 PM

My mom is a midwife and she just found this:http://www.baronbob.com/pregnantkeychain.htm

I thought that would be cute as a midwife gift. My mom got one for a few of her colleagues

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page