Does your midwife do an herb bath for mom and baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 09-20-2005, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife recommends an herb bath for after tha birth where mommy and baby get in. She says it helps the mom heal down there as well as with muscle pain etc.. it is very invigorating and she says it helps baby cord heal.
Sounds not appealing to me at all... I feel like I will want a clean bath not yucky water ... anybody have any experience with this?
#2 of 40 Old 09-20-2005, 10:28 PM

I had an herb bath. It was my the infusion my mw made from my sitz herbs. Then she put flowers in there for pictures. It was nice.
#3 of 40 Old 09-20-2005, 10:44 PM

I have known midwives to do this, but since many of my clients have waterbirths, sometimes it isn't appealing. Most women want a shower and then cuddle in bed with their babies.
#4 of 40 Old 09-20-2005, 10:59 PM

I always take a shower, dont want to be sitting in yucky water
#5 of 40 Old 09-20-2005, 11:16 PM

I've worked with some midwives who do this and the moms have loved it.In fact, I'm going to call them and see if Ican get my hands on whatever they use. It smells fantastic. I don't know if my midwife does or not, ifshe doesn't, I'll definately get this stuff from some other midwives I know. I'm looking forward to it.

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (7), Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)
#6 of 40 Old 09-20-2005, 11:17 PM

I did not bathe right after the birth. My midwife did make up a big pot of sitz bath herbs for me to use in my peri bottle (she left a couple of big bowls of it in the fridge). She also wet a bunch of pads in the solution and put them in the freezer. I also used a couple cups of it in my bath water when I took a bath the day after the birth. I do think this stuff is awesome--it felt really good on my sore bottom. I think this is what my midwife used:
http://www.birthwithlove.com/categor...s%2DMotherlove

We did not bathe our baby after the birth, though our midife said if we wanted to take her in the bath with us in those early pp days that would be fine. We just rubbed her vernix in and called it good. For cord care we broke open GoldenSeal capsules (that were also from Birth with Love) and dumped the powder over the umbilical area a few times a day. The cord stump fell off in 4 days. Woo-hoo! And it was so nice not swabbing alcohol on our baby like we did with DS.
#7 of 40 Old 09-20-2005, 11:23 PM

We make up herbal sitz baths for women if they choose it. It's not for right after the birth, but in the next few days after, particularly if they have some perineal grazes or a tear. The herbs get steeped in a pot and used either in a bath, or in a peri bottle. It appeals to some, and not to others. We went to a local herbalist for all the supplies, which were wildcrafted and as local as possible. I don't have the recipe we used committed to memory but it does include Calendula flowers, yarrow, plantain, St. John's Wort, rose, and a few other things. I love the packages even just sitting on the counter -- they smell and look so divine.

As for the cord, we advocate doing nothing: falls off the fastest, bath or no bath. Never had a cord infection, almost always falls off in 3-4 days.
#8 of 40 Old 09-20-2005, 11:55 PM

We did and it was yummy. All sorts of nice smelling things.

-Angela
#9 of 40 Old 09-20-2005, 11:57 PM

I really enjoyed mine. The smell of the herbs remind me of my favorite Ramon Noodles - hot n spicy. Two of my boys got in the tub with me (it wasn't hot enough after my 2nd birth) and their cords fell off within a week, #2 took way longer. So yeah, I think it does have an effect in that way. We'll definitely do our herb bath again this time! I also like to shower/wash my hair after just to feel good n clean.

aisling
#10 of 40 Old 09-21-2005, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

I am wondering if you midwife was Molly Germash in TX? was it? I have never heard of anybody else having a herb bath that smelled like food and that is how she described it to me

With number two since you didnt put him in the bath did you have to do anything to the cord? Put anything in it or treat it in any way?
#11 of 40 Old 09-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Yup thats my midwife. I went to her 6 weeks pg with my first & I've never had any motivation to find anyone else

Uhm no we didn't treat his cord in any other way.

Aisling
#12 of 40 Old 09-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Huh? Yucky? It wasn't yucky at all. Certainly no yuckier than a regular bath. You prepare and then strain a bath 'tea' ~ the water is see-through, tinted like herbal tea. But hey, if it isn't your cup of tea (hee hee), then don't do it!

We continued daily herbal baths for a week or so after DD's birth.
It was a nice family ritual; DH enjoyed preparing the baths for us and DD obviously loved them.

Carolyn
#13 of 40 Old 09-21-2005, 04:04 PM

We do it but not right after the birth. Maybe the next day. I'm not a bath person regularily but this is fantastic! It feels so healing and invigorating! I can't wait to do that part again.

Czen
#14 of 40 Old 09-21-2005, 04:09 PM

Mine does not but it sounds nice.
#15 of 40 Old 09-21-2005, 04:23 PM

I will have to ck out the site that one of you posted to create my own if the midwife I choose doesn't do it. So, you would just get in the bath after you have your initial cuddle time together? Then you just make it warm enough for you and baby and put the strained water in and soak it all up? I would have LOVED a nice, relaxing bath w/ my first. He was a hosp birth and I was so jazzed that I couldn't sleep. They gave me drugs whereas a nice, warm bath probably would have done the trick naturally! Can't wait for a homebirth this time around! Yippee!

Homeschooling mama to ds1 (2003) and ds2 (2006) and jewelry metal smith in my "down time."
#16 of 40 Old 09-21-2005, 09:57 PM

It is sooooo important in my own opinion!! It is usually comfrey root, uva ursi, sea salts, comfrey leaves, whichazel...things like that. It is more for perineal healing then anything. It is like bathing in tea. You don't scrub your body or anything.

It is really important to get 3-4 hip baths a day. It washes away bacteria and promotes healing. One of those a day can have the sitz in it. It is wonderful and strained out, so you don't actually sit in the herbs, just their infusion. Good for your body. Good for hemmeroids, good for bleeding.

edited to add: I don't do anything immediately after the birth. I usually have the sitz in a bottle that I mix with warm water instead of toilet paper. I start my baths around 12-20 hours or so. I didn't bring my babes in until days later.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#17 of 40 Old 09-21-2005, 10:16 PM

I took a shower myself and a sitzbath with herbs but I wouldn't want to wash the baby because they smell so darn good! I didn't even sponge bathe ds until he was about 4-5 days old and that freshly born buttery baby smell had left.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#18 of 40 Old 09-21-2005, 10:37 PM

My mw doesn't but I buy a herbal bath to take afterwards. I loved it! During the day we had it simmering in the crockpot..made the house smell SO good! It was great to soak in after the birth w/ my dd! It did help her cord come off sooner...less than a week if I remember right.
#19 of 40 Old 09-21-2005, 10:38 PM

I really want to get some herbs together to offer herbal baths some day. I love post birth pics of mamas with their babies in the tub . So sweet.
#20 of 40 Old 09-21-2005, 11:34 PM

my midwives prepare one for you and, i must say, i'm looking forward to a warm, cozy, herbal bath with my little one! a can call my parents (who will be watching our daughter during the birth) and my best friend during that time, then we can all crawl into bed together for the newborn exam and some snacks!
#21 of 40 Old 09-22-2005, 01:09 AM

Two homebirths, two herbal baths. I had lots left over after each birth and took several over the first few weeks. Both times I took a shower later but the bath was very nice.
#22 of 40 Old 09-23-2005, 09:43 AM

We did an herbal bath with both homebirths. The water looked like tea but it was so wonderful and I will never forget the smell of the herbs and sea salt I can also say that both of my HB babies lost their cords by 4 days and my bottom healed very quickly

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#23 of 40 Old 09-26-2005, 02:20 PM

I had an herbal bath with my 3rd and it was great! I wish that I had done it with my first 2. It was super relaxing and I nursed my nb in the tub. The baby loved it as well and the umbilical healed up quickly and nicely
#24 of 40 Old 09-26-2005, 05:26 PM

Sounds great.....I will try it next time.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#25 of 40 Old 09-26-2005, 06:01 PM

We had a waterbirth, then I took a shower after to clean up, and did the herbal baths over the week after the birth. They were awesome, and definitely helped with healing.
#26 of 40 Old 09-26-2005, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbliss
We had a waterbirth, then I took a shower after to clean up, and did the herbal baths over the week after the birth. They were awesome, and definitely helped with healing.

This is what I did too...it was awesome!
#27 of 40 Old 09-29-2005, 03:44 PM

Why would it be "yucky"? Cause of blood? I actually didnt bleed in the water at all...............it was one of my favorite memories of our last birth, a HB with a MW and this time we are doing it U/C but are ordering the exact herbal bath from inhishands.com it is called "Soothing After Birth Herbal Bath"--- it is only $8.50 for a big bag and it does smell like food b/cause it has garlic in it-- i cant descibe it but it is amazing.
#28 of 40 Old 09-29-2005, 07:08 PM

Herbal Bath Lover here!

I just adore them after the birth... you know, after time to bond and hang out a bit. My perineum thanks me for it every time & my baby's cord stump is always grateful, too.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#29 of 40 Old 10-30-2005, 12:18 AM

As a midwife I always bring a bouquet of flowers to my moms. (Unless I am rushing to the birth that is.) The herbs are brewed during labor for use in the peri bottle afterwards. If the mom wants to she can have an herbal bath with the flower tops floating in the water and some good smelling essential oils. It is a great photo opportunity. No soap is used and the babies are not 'washed'. Sometimes if their hair is really gunky the mom will rinse it out. After the bath the mom usually takes a shower. Those moms with long labors or who had waterbirths often choose to skip it. Then I just put the flowers in water for them.

Ya'll remember that you always have a choice. Most midwives come to a birth with a plan or routine. That is normal when it is your job. But we are happy to let you skip things or add other things. This is about YOU after all.
#30 of 40 Old 10-31-2005, 04:13 AM

Beth ******, the herbal bath with flower tops sounds GORGEOUS as well as healing! Makes me wish we had a bathtub in my house . . .

I am hoping that doesn't create a headache post-partum, either; I suppose I will have to get an ACTUAL Sitz bath(tub) to do the daily soaks. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page