books/sites etc for children about HB?? ... crossposting on unassited forum also - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-22-2005, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I"m wondering if anyone can suggest any books, sites or other info sources i can use to educate/prepare my children, ranging from 5-13, about the birth process and things happening at home and such. I've told them they are all welcome to be as part or distant from things as they choose to be. My 3 bio kids want to be completely part, dsd thinks she wants to but is worried about the weirdness of seeing my"parts" lol.. i told her she'll be so focused on abay coming out that she wont even notice anything else. dss(13) says he's probably going to go to a friends house but will come and check in to know where things are at... he's understandably a lil weirded out by the thought of seeing things he feels he shouldnt. We'll see when the time comes.

my 5yr old LOVES watching the birthing stories on tv, so they are fairly famiiar with the tv/hospital version of birth, i've explained some of the differences but am hoping to find some more solid info, thats not to overwelming for children, most of all i think for dsd(11, but low reading/comprehension level)

thanks for any help and ideas
#2 of 8 Old 09-22-2005, 03:04 PM

"Welcome with Love" is an excellent book for children. My 3 yr old loves it. My midwife loaned us a homebirth video, "Gentle Birth Choices", and it has become my DD's favorite new video. She is even pretending to have babies when she takes a bath now!

I don't have the authors info for the book, but I'm sure you could do a quick search on Amazon or equivalent...

Get Grounded! Regain your mental clarity, energy, and vibrance!

I am a wellness consultant, professional herbalist, and doula.

#3 of 8 Old 09-22-2005, 07:53 PM

: Looking for resources as well...

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 8 Old 09-24-2005, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

thats such a cute story about your dd!

any other ideas out there??? I"m hoping to hit the library for the afternoon tomorow and see if i can fnd anything
#5 of 8 Old 09-24-2005, 02:41 AM

I second, third, and fourth "Welcome With Love." My 4 and 2yos love it. We were hauling wood the other day, and my 4yo said, "This wood is a present for the baby, just like in the book, Mama." It was more than worth every single penny.

There is another one called "Hi New BAby!" by Robie H. Harris...it doesn't specifically talk about HB but it's a great intro to new babies and life as the "older" child. I loved reading it with my son before his brother was born because it never mentions formula, doctors, or leaving the house to have a baby. There's no, "Mama will come home with a new baby" stuff. And it shows the baby nursing and talks about alllll the things an "older" can do that a baby can't do, which was a big help when my son was discouraged by how much time a baby can take!

Congratulations on your newest expectation!

Love, Penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#6 of 8 Old 09-24-2005, 02:46 AM

I just re-read your post, and since your children are older, I'd also recommend Lennart Nilsson's book, "A Child is Born." It does so much more than give info on birth...it provides pictures of babies coming out in all sorts of positions, with mothers in all sorts of stages of labor...and it also provides prenatal education about fetal formation, where the baby is "at" in development, etc. My 4yo likes the pics of babies being born because he didn't originally understand how MUCH fluid there would be with a birth. ("Welcome With Love" is a little clean about birth fluids, lol, but it does show a placenta and explain some about it).

Good luck!

Penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#7 of 8 Old 09-24-2005, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

ooo.. that one sounds about perfect! we've been looking online at development pics so the kids can see where baby is at and things.. they made me check 3 times when i told them the baby could now hear everyone talking around me.. and a couple more times about baby being able to sense light thru my belly.

my 6 yr old today asked if I had to "poop out" all of them :LOL

I explained that wasnt how it happened and where they really( that there is a special extra hole for babies to come out) came out. He was impressed and after thinking a couple minutes asked.. so that hole doesnt hurt as much as pooping out a baby huh?! :LOL he seemed relived to know that there was a special place designed specificly for baby

i know that was OT but had to toss the story in
#8 of 8 Old 09-26-2005, 02:32 AM
rad

My DS absolutely loved the book "Runa's Birth" www.attachmentscatalog.com/gifts/homeb.html He was asking alot of questions about birthing and since he's a visual learner, my answers weren't working. But this book really answered alot of questions for him.

I also bought one by Sheila Kitzinger called "Being Born". It has lots of pictures of baby growing inside. My DS still loves to look at that one.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page