Reading the birth annoucements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2005, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
in the newspaper today and I got to wondering, has anyone sent in an announcement of their baby's homebirth?

It looks like there must be a PR person at the hospitals that send out blanket announcements for the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2005, 02:53 AM

Both of my daughters' births were published. However, my dh is the news editor of our local paper, so that kind of helped. I have known other homebirthers to publish their births in their local papers, however. I think all that's required is asking the paper their procedure.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Cool! I'll definitely look at them more often then, just to check for homebirths.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:27 PM

Yeah, I think you just have to fill out a little form or something. Kinda the same as a wedding announcement. Just call the paper, or even look online.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
Old 11-04-2005, 11:20 PM

I had dd at the hospital, but it never made it to the paper, even though THEY were supposed to send it in. You can just call or email the info like you would an engagement or whatnot. We finally got hers in about 3 months after she was born. Planning a home birth this time & I'm sure it'll get in the paper much quicker! Our papers don't list where the babe was born, though, just where the family lives. So there's no way to tell who's a home birth and who's not.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:16 AM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Our paper gives "credit" to the hospital or group that "delivers" the baby. 3 local midwives have taken advantage of that. If the midwife has a company name, the births are listed under it. 2 of the 3 are partners and so have a "name", they also run a birth center so I am never sure if the baby was born at home or at the center. My midwife has a company name and all her births are homebirths. I have on occasion seen some listed under the term "at home" but that is really rare. Kinda nice though, gives them a bit of advertising too and spreads the word that you don't need to be at a hospital.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 11-05-2005, 04:25 PM

Our paper names the hospital so I was thinking of sending dd's in just so it can say "born at home".
Old 11-05-2005, 10:58 PM

My DD's birth was in the paper. My midwife asks all her clients if they want the birth listed in the paper and has you fill out the form in advance if you do, then she submits it when the baby is born. Instead of the hospital name it says homebirth.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:30 PM

Our midwife sent in the info for DD2's homebirth. It just said "at home" instead of the name of a hospital. They got her birth date wrong but it was still pretty cool to see that "at home" in print.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:13 PM

We published both our kids in dh's hometown paper - we are in the military, so the births went in as a social announcement, with the weddings and engagements - because of this we had a lot more room to add extra's instead of just being listed under the hospital. We included info about siblings, grandparents, where dh is currently stationed etc Neither of our first two were born at home but my daughter was born at a birth center. We are preggo with our 3rd (planning a homebirth) so I guess I better start rough drafting our announcement I will definately put 'born at home' in our announcement - that is just the kind of sensational thing dh would love to print in his hometown paper!

User Tag List