Post Partum Easy Meals - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-04-2005, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok ladies....I am asking for a HUGE favor. Would you be willing to post some ideas/ recipes for good things that I can throw in the freezer for postpartum meals. It seems like cooking ahead of time is the BEST option....we don't really have friends/family to bring us meals....so we are going to stock up ahead of time. Oh...and not to admit how dumb I am...can you also tell me how to reheat whatever it is from the freezer....I have never really frozen and recooked foods .
Thanks a ton!!!!!
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-04-2005, 02:56 PM

So far I have frozen a lasagna (make the recipe with boiled noodles, meat or veggies, cheese, sauce and just write on the top of the aluminum foil the cooking directions), meatballs, and two of my girlfriend's chicken recipes that are also in 9x13 aluminum pans and just get served over rice or pasta. Stock up on pasta and sauce (particularly angel hair- cooks in 3 min!), and frozen pizzas are always a good idea, too. Pretty much any casserole-like recipe is a good one to do. Prepare everything and put in a 9x13 disposable (or if you have lots of glass ones, use those), having done everything except the final oven time. Pull them out the day before, defrost them, and cook them in the oven according to the regular directions from the recipe. Other ideas would include a pan of enchiladas, breakfast casseroles or quiches. I will post the recipes later if you do meat dishes- I wasn't sure.

Sarah, Elizabeth 12.22.03 and little "E.T." EDD 11.30.05
#3 of 11 Old 11-04-2005, 04:35 PM

I wanted to add: quiches are WAY easy to make!!! I was intimidated the first time because the recipe said to put the pie tin in a "bath." I have only made quiche like that once, and my way is WAY easier!!!

Prepare eggs and additional ingredients (whatever you want: ham, onions, bell peppers, broccoli,CHEESE, etc, finely chopped) as you would an omelette ( mix together in bowl with a little milk. Eyeball it until it looks right). Now, this is my secret weapon: Get a large tortilla that will fit in a pie tin. I like to heat it up on the stove, but that isn't necessary. Now, place the tortilla in the pie tin. That is your crust!!! just add the ingredients until just below the lip of the tortilla. Bake at 350 until a knife inserted comes out cleanly. This is VERY easy and can be made with leftovers. Put the fully cooked quiche in the freezer and it will last quite some time. You can slice individual pieces and microwave, or put the whole thing in the oven for 325/350, until warmed.
#4 of 11 Old 11-05-2005, 04:45 PM

Casseroles freeze well. Pasta dishes do too. When reheating, the key is to know your foe - some things just don't thaw well. I would just pop it in the oven at 350 and watch it. For instance, I froze squash casserole last time, and found out that I just needed to cook it, not thaw it.
#5 of 11 Old 11-05-2005, 04:52 PM

Have you heard of Dream Dinners? Check out their website at http://dreamdinners.com/kitchens.php?kitchen_id=37.

Their 6 meal package will feed my family of DH, me and pre-schooler 12 times according to a friend who recently had a baby and she loved their stuff so I'm signed up to go for November and I might go back in December to really fill up the freezer before baby comes.
#6 of 11 Old 11-05-2005, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

That would be so cool....but there is not one by my home
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#7 of 11 Old 11-05-2005, 10:21 PM

Not sure if this will work, but I made a meatloaf, left it uncooked, and froze it. I figure it'll just have to defrost (maybe pull it out in the morning) then bake it for dinner. I also plan on getting some of those Country Crock type frozen mashed potatoes to go along with the meatloaf.

Tomorrow my mom is throwing me a casserole party/ baby shower ! I am SO relieved and excited to see what people make for us. Just hope we have enough room in the freezer for it all. It should only be about 5 or 6 casseroles total, so I still plan on stocking up a few more of my own meals, or Dh's fave, frozen pizzas.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#8 of 11 Old 11-06-2005, 01:56 AM

Meatloaf freezes very well! I cooked mine before freezing but I am sure it can be done either way. I second the pasta dishes, rice also freezes well. Potatoes unforunetly do not and I found that out the hard way. Freezing soups and potato casseroles changed the textured of the potatoes and left them watery and unedable.

:
#9 of 11 Old 11-06-2005, 10:34 PM

We had a lasagna pre-made -- and note that you DO NOT have to pre-cook the noodles, nor do you need to buy those "special no-bake" noodles. Just put the raw noodles in the pan with everything else and when you bake it they will soften up nice.

Also, when local friends asked us before the birth if we needed anything, we were honest -- we said "Yeah - cook us a meal after the baby is born!" Three of them did, so we had 6 dinners (each meal lasted 2 nights). That took us well into week 2, and by then we were oriented enough to cook simple stuff (or at least dial the pizza place, lol).

HTH!
Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#10 of 11 Old 11-07-2005, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenivere
Potatoes unforunetly do not and I found that out the hard way. Freezing soups and potato casseroles changed the textured of the potatoes and left them watery and unedable.
Yep! I found that out the hard way, too. They turn watery & grainy & pretty darn gross. I don't mind it too much if it's in a soup that I can just stir up, but any dish with potatoes as a main ingredient will not be the same.
#11 of 11 Old 11-07-2005, 11:52 AM

Some restaraunts can make super big take out orders....I mean, really, what's better than food from your favorite restaraunt after having a beautiful, cuddly babe?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page