Homebirthing Pools Vs Inflatable pools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-09-2005, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am looking into all the options for a planned homebirth/waterbirth and was going to hire a birthing pool, however I have read alot of ladies on this site have bought an inflatable pool - which is obviously the more cost effective option, however, they seem shallower and presumably don't have the heat capability that a birthing pool would have. I am interested to know what your thoughts are - did the inflatable pools do the job just as well?

Many thanks
Dee
x
#2 of 23 Old 11-09-2005, 04:11 PM

We used the fishy blow-up pool and it worked great.

-Angela
#3 of 23 Old 11-09-2005, 04:48 PM

We used the fishy blow up pool too and I loved it. It was big and wonderful. My husband just bought a new hose with an adapter for the house and kept the pool warm for me. My friends would take water out with pots from time to to time. It wasn't that time consuming as I thought it would. It worked just fine. I was in the water about 7 hours total and it was great.

Good luck.
#4 of 23 Old 11-09-2005, 05:24 PM

We used a kiddie blow up pool and DW loved it because the bottom inflated as well and it was very soft to kneel on. When I filled the pool the temp was at 99/100 deg. and about 4 hours later it barely went down in temp (like 96 deg) incase you're basing your decision on the self-heating aspect. Nothing that couldn't be fixed by dumping hot water.
#5 of 23 Old 11-09-2005, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a queston to add to this post if I may...

I'm so glad someone started this thread cause I've been wanting to ask the same question. My other question to add to is...How tall are you and how deep was the pool? Were you bouyant enough? I'm 5'7" and am wondering if the fishy pool would work cause it's like 22". Would it be better to go with a deeper pool?

TIA!

Mandy

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#6 of 23 Old 11-09-2005, 06:16 PM

I'm 5'5" and the pool was 22" I think. It was MORE than deep enough. sit on the floor and measure how high that is... it's a lot more water than you think...

For me, I think that deeper would have been more awkward unless it was 4' deep (but even then I'd want a bench or something to sit on...)

-Angela

-Angela
#7 of 23 Old 11-09-2005, 06:35 PM

Haven't given birth yet, but I"m going with a birth pool, because our water heater sucks. We have to take 15 min showers in the morning in winter, because it's so tiny (we live in an apt). I intend to get a fishy pool if we ever move into a place with a decent water heater.
#8 of 23 Old 11-09-2005, 07:18 PM

I also went with the fishy pool for money reasons, and I was worried that it said it was only 24" deep. I will tell you that's deeper than you think, though. I'm 5'7" and the water covered my belly and lower back both on my butt leaning back as well as on hands and knees/ on knees w/arms on the side of pool. You want to fill it up with air really well to make sure it will support your upper body weight leaning on the side without collapsing. Also I've heard it can be a problem with curious cats. My labor was super fast so water temp was not the issue, getting enough hot water into it once labor started was. Good luck! Either way, water is almost surely a good thing.
#9 of 23 Old 11-09-2005, 07:26 PM

Here is the pool we went with:

http://www.qualityinflatables.com/58480.html

22" was fine, she was able to kneel in the tub and put her arms around my waist while I sat in a little kiddie chair outside the pool. This ended up being the most comfortable position during birth, and the water was plenty deep enough to offer support.
#10 of 23 Old 11-10-2005, 03:20 AM

my mw brought a kiddie pool to my birth and I was totally disappointed, I was so looking forward to trying a water birth, and there was nowhere near enough water to submerge my belly. I'm not a huge woman either. 5'8" and 9 months pregnant weighed 175 lbs.

I didn't get to feel the feeling of the buoyancy at all.... so though dd was born in the water, I was very disappointed, next time for sure i would rent a birthing tub.

I can't remember how many inches it was, maybe 22"? Maybe less.....
#11 of 23 Old 11-10-2005, 08:54 AM

I don't know where you can rent them, but the Voyager Portable Spa is wonderful for third trimester soaks and labor/birth. I would think it would have enough resale value to make it an affordable option even if the price tag makes you shocky. I, however, am not willing to part with mine and it is the kid's winter swimming pool. The walls are about 36" high and it is 6' across.
#12 of 23 Old 11-10-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music-mommy
my mw brought a kiddie pool to my birth and I was totally disappointed, I was so looking forward to trying a water birth, and there was nowhere near enough water to submerge my belly. I'm not a huge woman either. 5'8" and 9 months pregnant weighed 175 lbs.

I didn't get to feel the feeling of the buoyancy at all.... so though dd was born in the water, I was very disappointed, next time for sure i would rent a birthing tub.

I can't remember how many inches it was, maybe 22"? Maybe less.....
Do you remember what pool it was? Was it as big as the one linked on this thread? (mine was the bigger version of the one linked here...)

-Angela
#13 of 23 Old 11-11-2005, 03:35 AM

Hmm, I'd guess not, it looks bigger than what I had. I just measured the height of what I remember and I'd say it was maybe 18" or 20" high, and maybe 50" in diameter? I'm thinking that because I spent most of my time on my hands and knees and I was resting my head on the end of the pool, also when I sat in the pool I had to bend my knees to fit, or if I sat upright I think I could just have enough room to stretch out my legs...

I think perhaps if you layed like you do in a tub and measure how much water you'd need in inches to completely cover your belly, it'd probably be at least 18" or so, and you need at least a few more inches more than that in the tub.
#14 of 23 Old 11-11-2005, 03:52 AM

I just birthed in a fishy pool and it was big enough for me. But I think they do come in different sizes. I was looking at Barbara Harper's site with a comparison of kiddie pools vs. labor tubs (link) I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but while the kiddie pool I birthed in had the same 'fishy' theme, it was bigger - I could float stretched out and my belly was covered. And yes, the recommendation is to fill it to 20 inches - the kiddie pools are typically 22 in while the birth tubs are 24. Either way, the kiddie pool was much better than the fancy jacuzzi I used at a hospital birth center. Not deep enough!
#15 of 23 Old 11-11-2005, 07:31 PM

I am surprised to see that I am completely in the minority. I have always been stumped at the idea of laboring in a kiddie pool! I labored in water for some time with DD. It was a jacuzzi style built in tub at a birth center. I had had some concerns about its size before labor started, and those turned out to be right on: I couldn't get comfortable in it and the water did not completely cover my belly, which turned out to be extremely important.

This next time we will be renting a round birth tub. We're not going to mess around - we're going to do what, for us, is right!
#16 of 23 Old 11-11-2005, 09:52 PM

We've got a fishie pool - got it for DD this summer. It seemed like it would be a good size for labor. I'm not large, but DH, DD, and I were all in the pool over the summer and DH said it was a good size. DH is about 6' and I'm 5'2".

I have been wondering about keeping the water warm though. Do you fill it with hot water from the tap?
#17 of 23 Old 11-11-2005, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your feedback.

Having looked into this a bit more - I am a it worried that I wouldn't be comfortable in a kiddie pool - I am tall(ish) Just over 5' 10" and am lucky enough that there is a lady who rents out birthing pools just down the road from me at a very affordable price - so think we are going to go with that option.

Thanks again

Dee
x
#18 of 23 Old 11-12-2005, 05:08 PM

My midiwfe swears by the fishy pools, but it just seems irritatingly shallow to me. That and with a cat and DH and me both being notorious klutzes it just seems we'd be begging for a combination of the half-beached whale effect and flooding on the carpet.

If we can scrape up the cash we're thinking of buying a spa-in-box and then renting it out when we're done using it. No one in this area rents them that I've been able to find, so we're thinking of starting our own rental service with a couple of tubs to rent eventually.

Just can't see spending a couple of hundred bucks for shipping, y'know? And I'm sure I'm not the only one in my area who'd prefer to be able to rent locally.
#19 of 23 Old 11-12-2005, 08:43 PM

I know someone in Lansing who rents a Barbara Harper-designed pool. She would probably be willing to deliver to where you are. PM me if you want contact info for her.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#20 of 23 Old 11-13-2005, 03:41 AM

I've had one in a Softub and one in the kiddy pool. The kiddy pool was horrible for me, the sides were too soft and wouldn't give me enough support and it was just a bit too shallow, the water temp was fine though. For my third I'll be getting the Softub again, the walls were sturdy and could support me and I could press against the sides with my legs. The water depth was great and really allowed me to relax.
#21 of 23 Old 11-14-2005, 07:00 PM

I also used the 22" fishy pool. I'm about 5'4" and it was perfect for me.
#22 of 23 Old 11-14-2005, 07:22 PM

I have a rubbermaid feed trough. It holds 150 gallons and is about the size of an old fashion claw foot tub. The draw back is that the sides are hard, how ever you can fit those swimming noodles around the edge so it's not so bad.
#23 of 23 Old 11-14-2005, 08:36 PM

I loved my birth with the SoftTub. I can't imagine an inflatable pool. I actually pushed with my feet up against the wall of the tub and my husband pulling me forward, toward the side of the tub. I think having the water deep enough to cover my ENTIRE belly was very helpful. My labor was slow until I got in the water (7 hours and only 5cm), but I went from 5cm to birth in 1.5 hours (and 45 minutes of that was pushing).

pushing picture

labor picture--notice the water is near my shoulders

another labor picture--notice how the tub is able to support me while I fully relax and dh looks on

and a baby picture-- he was able to stay warm because he could be in the warm water and still near my chest

another thing I loved, that you can't see in the pictures (because it was turned off during pushing) was the jet action. It really made labor more peaceful for me. The constant hum provided privacy for me to vocalize without feeling like I was "loud" and the jet stream aimed at my sacrum during a contraction was soothing.

If necessary, I will BUY one of these pools before my next birth, and even if I don't step foot in it, the knowledge of it being there for use will be worth every penny.

eta: I'm 5'7" and was about 200 pounds in these pictures (baby was 9lbs 12oz)

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page