Another Midwife Questionaire Thread:) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-13-2005, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know there was a similiar thread already started somewhere. I read it and liked some of the questions the person was gonna ask, but the link that someone had posted to another site hadn't worked.

Maybe you all can help me compose a questionaire?

I've already talked to the lady on the phone and really really liked her. But, next Saturday DH and I are going to go visit her. She's an hour and half away and I have to go to her for prenatal visits, but she'll come to me for the birth. And she also said she wouldn't make me come up there every week towards the end. I've already discussed with her a lot fo stuff, but am thinking it would be better if asked some of the same questions again but this time so that DH could hear the answers too.

We'll be attempting a HBAC. DD was breech and we had planned a hospital waterbirth with her...so of course ended up with a c. The midwife said she's done lots of VBAC's, breech babies, and LOVES doing waterbirths. Also she's been doing this for 10 years and last time she counted (she said it was a couple years ago) that she had done over 450 births. So, basically, I know that she'll take me as a patient and doesn't seem scared at all. (unlike the OBs)

What are some basic questions I should be asking though?

Thanks for your help!

Mandy

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#2 of 5 Old 11-16-2005, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For us we wanted to know her education and experience background - where she had practiced, how many deliveries, what percentage of her HB get transferred, at what point does she consider a transfer, what is her attitude about "helping" labor start (my last midwife really pushed herbs and acupuncture and I didn't like that), dh needed to know what she would bring with her (equip, medications etc) - he asked her to go over some scenarios describing possible emergencies and what steps would be taken before, during, and after a transfer to hosp., we asked about siblings in attendance, comfort with waterbirth, fees, availability of educational stuff (ie video's for the kids etc) I can't think of anymore right now - hope that helps get you started.
#3 of 5 Old 11-16-2005, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
:

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#4 of 5 Old 11-16-2005, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found this at
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...irthchoice.asp

How to Choose a Midwife
Midwives have varying levels of expertise and styles, therefore it is important to choose a midwife with whom you feel confident and compatible. The following questions may help the pregnant woman to select a midwife who is well suited to her and her family:

How did she become a midwife?
What training has she had?
Is she certified or licensed with any organizations?
Does she belong to any midwifery organizations, attend conferences and workshops, subscribe to professional journals?
What is her basic philosophy of childbirth?
How many births has she attended as the primary midwife?
Does she handle higher risk situations, such as twins or breeches?
What is the fee for her services, how must it be paid, what does it include?
What kinds of services are included in prenatal care? (early detection of problem areas for the mother and baby; nutrition information; exercise recommendations; in-home care; recommendations for parent education via books, videos, or classes)
Does she work with another midwife or assistant at births?
What does she do if there are two births at the same time?
How do you reach the midwife? Does she have a pager allowing 24-hour access?
How does she handle problems or complications that might develop during labor?
What standard and emergency equipment does she carry? What herbs or medicine does she use? Which ones does she not carry and why?
Does she have any affiliation with a physician who can answer unusual questions either during the pregnancy or in an emergency?
What is her policy for transporting to a hospital?
What medical facility would she use? Has she developed a good working rapport with them?
What kind of postpartum care does she provide (frequency of baby checkups, assistance with nursing)?
In addition to asking these questions, it is important to be clear about what you expect from your potential midwife. Be prepared to share your vision of the birth and discuss any fears you may have. Tell her how knowledgeable you are about birth at present and how informed you would like to become.

Determine if the midwife's answers to your questions agree with your desires. If your heart trusts her, you have found your midwife.
#5 of 5 Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you so much!!!!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page