Getting tested for GBS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 11-15-2005, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone else is being tested for GBS (or did with previous homebirths)? I haven't talked to my midwife about it yet (will bring it up at my next prenatal), but my friend who is coming to help out at the birth was asking about it . . .
#2 of 41 Old 11-15-2005, 04:06 PM

I wasn't tested before my homebirths.
#3 of 41 Old 11-15-2005, 04:15 PM

I didn't test. My midwife included a sheet on warning signs of GBS disease in the packet we got initially, and if there had been any risk factors for transmission, I would have been even more careful, but there weren't.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#4 of 41 Old 11-15-2005, 04:37 PM

I did not test for GBS as the test would not have changed my choices.

-Angela
#5 of 41 Old 11-15-2005, 04:46 PM

I got the test. Negative. It wouldn't have made me change my homebirth plan if I'd have been positive anyway. DH and I thought that if I was positive, at least we'd have the information should anything come up strange with the baby. Plus, my midwife has some alternatives to IV antibiotics if we would have wanted them.
#6 of 41 Old 11-15-2005, 04:52 PM

I was tested for my first home birth, but chose not to test during my second pregnancy.

In short, my decision was based on a few things:

- how the test for GBS really tells you NOTHING about whether you are GBS + on the day of your baby's birth. If you test +, you can easily be - by the time of birth. Likewise, if you test - at 36 weeks, you can easily be + on the day of your baby's birth.

- antibiotic use is not without risk, to mother or baby. I can't recall the precise details, but I remember a very interesting reading I did that spoke of how antibiotic exposure in newborns can increase the risk of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

- The US and Canada are really the only Western nations that use the "blanket antibiotic" treatment course for women who are GBS +. Most use a wait-and-see approach and treat only if there is indication of infection.

- Choosing a home birth in our State, I could not have antibiotic treatment even if I were to desire it. It would require a hospital birth. My concerns of a hospital birth FAR outweighed my concerns of being GBS +.

There was a really good article I had saved while pregnant. I'll see if I can find it and post it. I got the link here on MDC, so someone else might have the link too.
#7 of 41 Old 11-15-2005, 05:42 PM

I did get tested only because I had high blood pressure, so the MW and I felt like it may be more likely I'd need a hospital transfer than most homebirthers. I didn't want the hospital to treat me as unknown (aka positive) if I was actually negative. As it turned out, I was positive, had a wonderful homebirth, and didn't treat the GBS at all.
#8 of 41 Old 11-15-2005, 06:41 PM

I did test, was positive, and chose to have the antibiotics. DD ended up with a bad yeast rash. I think I will test again next time, but I will reconsider what I do with the results. If I'm positive again, I will probably only treat if I have risk factors. I also want the test in case I transfer.
#9 of 41 Old 11-15-2005, 07:30 PM

This same thread is also going in my due date club forum My mw doesn't seem to think I need to take the test but i'm sure she'd give it to me if I requested it. I was thinking of going the preventative route... what pro-biotics do people recommend? Any other natural preventative measures?

I have something called PB8 from pre-pregnancy that I read about in Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom, and doesn't need refrigeration, but haven't been taking it during the pregnancy... Anyone else have any recommendations? I'll ask my mw too.
#10 of 41 Old 11-15-2005, 11:17 PM

Geez, now that you mention it I did do a rinse with some kind of disinfectant solution (first aid section of CVS... can't remember what it was called). I did a 10:1 water to "disinfectant" rinse, the last few weeks of pregnancy - a few times a week. I wish I could remember more clearly.
#11 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 12:16 AM

I did test but did nothing about it (I was +). The babies ended up being born in their sacks so there was really no risk of transfering it to them anyway. I knew that the test results would not change my plans, but wanted to know in case of a transfer as I was having twins so had a higher chance of transfer. They were both born perfectly at home
#12 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 01:05 AM

The test wasn't routine when I had my first so it wasn't done (or even offered to me) then, but I did take it when pg with my second. I was negative. This time I don't think I'll take it, although I'm not 100% sure on that. If I do and it's + I don't plan to use antibiotics - I think I'll just be proactive with homeopathic suppression remedies.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#13 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I declined this time. I had the test with my son and I was negative. I do take probiotics daily (liquid). I also would not take antibiotics even if I were positive so that is the main reason I didnt take the test. My midwife told me that studies have shown that the outcome of babies who were watched closely after birth was the same as those treated prior to delivery. Plus like a previous poster mentioned, antibiotics are not without risks.

Desiree

#14 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 10:43 AM

Desiree, you reminded me of something else - yup, there is real reason to believe that a lot of the concern for infection post-birth (a MUCH higher risk than the strep) is infection introduced by overly frequent vaginal exams and post-birth exposure to bacteria IN hospitals. The risks just aren't there in home births.

I must find that article.
#15 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 10:44 AM

...though I did want to comment that those of you who tested in case of transfer have a good point. I grappled with this a LOT when making my decision. In the end, I opted not to test but it is something that I considered.
#16 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 12:43 PM

i did the test because here in fl, if you dont have gbs results (or you are gbs + and not treated) most peds wont see your baby, and if you transfer to the hospital, they freak out and want to do a septic workup on the baby (obviously you can refuse that, but its still really stressful)

so i opted to do 3 nights of garlic suppositories vaginally, to give me a negative test. i felt okay with that because just because you test positive doesnt mean you will have it at birth, and vice versa (sp?). and there is no way i would do antibiotics in labor just for gbs- antibiotics carry a lot of risk imo.

also, most places want to test your vagina and your rectum for gbs, and i think that is stupid because the baby is probably not going to come into contact with your poop! at least not very much of it. the mw's i work with only test the vagina, and that makes so much more sense.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#17 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 12:48 PM

With our last 2 we were GBS+ and we were treated with antibiotics in labor....with my last baby it was 41 hours from the time my water broke and she was born. Would I do it again even though I know I have been + in the past. No. Both babies had nasty green mucusy explosive poop that burned their poor bottoms to the point that the skin peeled, and all I can account it to was the antibiotics. With having a HB this time I am not as concerned with testing, and if I have to transfer I would deciline the treatment anyway. JMO
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#18 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 PM

I think the fact that the status can change from day to day makes the test not worth it-- if they really think antibiotics is necessary, then you would think they would give it to everyone given that the status can change from day to day. But that obviously introduces its own problems, so I think probiotics and Vit C during the last few weeks (also helps keep the sac strong) and careful monitoring of all babies after birth by mws and parents is probably the best bet for everyone. And minimizing vaginal exams, of course.
#19 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I did not test for GBS as the test would not have changed my choices.

-Angela

Exactly! Same here. Even with dd I was planning a hospital waterbirth and waved the GBS test. We wouldn't have done antibiotics anyway so what was the point in testing? KWIM?

Mandy

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#20 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 07:51 PM

My dh's thoughts on this are that we would know not to worry about the infection in the babe if I were negative. But now I'm reading that your status can change. So I guess we'll just have to learn the symptoms and not bother with the test (as I won't do the antibiotics).
#21 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 08:38 PM

I love reading all of the responses. I'm torn on this issue. I had gbs in my urine for my first pregnancy and I HATED the IV. I'm still torn on whether or not it was a good idea. As a result, I'm not sure if I want to be tested next time around. I will definitely talk it over with my midwife.
#22 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 09:32 PM

Yes, do talk it over with your MW. My advice is not to take the antibiotics as it can (and OFTEN DOES) cause a serious yeast infection in both of you that will interfere with bf-ing.

I don't think it's worth it. I think we just need to learn the symptoms and care of strep infection in baby.
#23 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 10:06 PM

I'm so glad to read this thread! I have decided not to do the screen, because I wouldn't take the antibiotics during labor anyway (needles freak me out, and that is NOT something I need in labor!!). I intend to just watch for signs of infection, and eliminate risk factors. (Ie, nothing up in my vagina after my water breaks!). I have felt uneasy and guilty about this choice, though no one is making me feel this way, because I do care about my child and I don't want to take any risks, but in this case, I think the risks outweigh the benefits, at least to me.
#24 of 41 Old 11-16-2005, 10:21 PM

Here it is! The article that I found so helpful.

http://www.preciouspassage.com/treat...up_b_strep.htm
#25 of 41 Old 11-17-2005, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiexto
Geez, now that you mention it I did do a rinse with some kind of disinfectant solution (first aid section of CVS... can't remember what it was called). I did a 10:1 water to "disinfectant" rinse, the last few weeks of pregnancy - a few times a week. I wish I could remember more clearly.
Could it have been Chlorhexidine, otherwise known as Hibiclens? There is a recipe online about a vaginal wash, just like what you did, and that may have been it....
#26 of 41 Old 11-17-2005, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahloughmiller
I did test but did nothing about it (I was +). The babies ended up being born in their sacks so there was really no risk of transfering it to them anyway. I knew that the test results would not change my plans, but wanted to know in case of a transfer as I was having twins so had a higher chance of transfer. They were both born perfectly at home
hi Sarah! did you post a birthstory, and i missed it? congrats!! Do tell!
#27 of 41 Old 12-02-2005, 10:05 PM

Ugh, so I decided to test for GBS because I had this weird feeling I was + and indeed I am. I am not terribly stressed about it, but I feel like it is good info to know in case my water is broken for 18 hours or more in labor (though I'm aware my GBS status could change to -). Anyway at that point I might consider a transfer to get the antibiotics since my hb mw can't give them -- not sure.

I'm going to start do a lot of herbal preventative measures but since I'm 38.5 weeks I'm not sure how effective they will be. I'm also doing the hibiclens thing.

The quote in the great article pixiexto sent really helped reassure me that I am taking a minimal risk here but not directly option for antibiotics -- the odds of my baby dying from GBS disease is .02 percent or 2 in 10,000. pretty damn low I'd say.
#28 of 41 Old 12-03-2005, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my prenatal was yesterday night, and I asked about GBS . . .

Here they basically encourage all moms to get the test done, because Washington midwives can administer IV antibiotics at homebirths. It didn't really sound like it was open for discussion, either; it pretty much sounded like if I tested positive, I would be getting antibiotics during labor. They don't test until 37 weeks because the test is more reliable at that point; she said the chances of someone who had a positive result at 37 weeks converting to negative were about 3%. But that also means that a negative screen at 37 weeks could convert to positive, so I don't know how reassured I feel.

I am so very, very anti-antibiotic and am now really uncomfortable at the thought of having an IV line in during labor and birth, but I suppose I will jump off of that bridge when I get to it. (*sigh*)
#29 of 41 Old 12-03-2005, 12:56 AM

Birth junky -- yah it really sucks. I think the best you can do between now and when you have to take the test to is to try to ensure a - result through herbs, diet, etc. In the meantime, try not to worry too much! Good thing you have some time to work on it -- I wish I had gotten started on dealing with this earlier in my pregnancy... but it will be OK!
#30 of 41 Old 12-03-2005, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone got any ideas? I read about the inserted clove of garlic, but when I asked my midwife about it she said she couldn't really recommend it--she said that in her experience, it seemed like the people who tried the most to avoid the positive test result seemed to end up GETTING the result they were trying to avoid. Not really sure what to do with that . . . I think I'm going to try stuff anyway.

So, any recommendations other than the clove of garlic trick?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page