How can I rent a tub for waterbirth at home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 01-09-2002, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
nan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I've recently decided to have a homebirth, and would like to rent a large tub/jacuzzi for the birth. I have no idea where to begin -- how can I find one? what should I look for? I'd like to look via the internet, so even ideas about search tersms would help.
Any guidance much appreciated.
Thanks,
Nan
#2 of 48 Old 01-09-2002, 05:43 PM

Yes, I rented a tub from Aqua Doula. I don't have a web site for them, but do a search and you should be able to find them...
#3 of 48 Old 01-09-2002, 06:11 PM

If you live in a college town, there should be a place that will rent you a tub also, tho they may charge a larger fee than the actual aqua doula. Make sure you get it enough in advance. As our baby was 3 weeks early, my husband was putting it together while my contractions were 10 minutes apart. And when the midwives arrived they were boiling water to heat up the tub!

Also if you get the plain-jane model, with the "sterile baggie" that lines the tub, think about something to put underneath, like a bean bag, beach chair, or just a cushy foot stool, heck even some pillows would work (everything will stay dry under the "baggie". We actually used an adult sized "barbie-like" blow up furniture foot stool that my husband sat on and I knelt below it and rested on him.

In my opinion, water is the best tool for birth.
o!
#4 of 48 Old 01-09-2002, 06:33 PM

I used a water trough for two of my births, they are available at farm supply stores. About $100. Nice thing about them is that they are deeper than other tubs so you can submerge as much of your body as you want. Hard plastic, though, so a cushy lining is important.
ambikusmillicai likes this.
#5 of 48 Old 01-14-2002, 04:29 PM

We have really struggled with what kind of money to spend on a birthing tub. I just can't bring myself to cough up $250 rental and then another $100+ for the S&H for the Aqua Doula. Does anyone know of anything cheaper that is still like the Aqua Doula? We did come accross on E-bay several portable hot tubs and spas for sale pretty cheap. One went last night for $120. We have a storage issue, so I'm not sure that purchasing is our best option. Try E-Bay for some options. We are leaning toward a kiddie pool at this point. We can do it free from our midwives. It's only 22" deep, so I worry that it won't be deep enough for me to benefit from the effects of the water. We're still looking also. I want to look into the farm supply for the trough. Thanks for the suggestion. Jennifer
#6 of 48 Old 01-14-2002, 09:51 PM

baby lover hmmm, first 22" could probably do it, my tub was probably only 25" deep but I don't think less than 22" would be any good. $120?!!!? wow, that seems good, I'd buy it from you when you were done for $120! or you could probably sell it to someone else! no actually my dh said heck yeah! he wants it! You also could try another midwife/birthcenter in town. I know my birth center rented their tub (for $60) to other non-clients.
o!
#7 of 48 Old 01-15-2002, 12:52 PM

It's good to hear confirmation about the 22". People keep saying it, I don't know why I'm remaining a non-believer. We would have done the $120 thing, but we couldn't get the dimensions on the product and bidding was about to expire. We'll certainly keep an eye on e-bay. Good idea about checking with other midwives, etc. I'll do that. Thanks for the feedback.
#8 of 48 Old 01-15-2002, 06:17 PM

You can buy a 66"x22" (or so) inflatible kiddie pool at any toy store for probably less than US$40. Sounds like a pretty cheap experiment to me! Buy the little pool, inflate it, and maybe even fill it up and sit in it. If you don't think it's big enough, then you can fold it up and use it when your newest is old enough.

My DW and I just had a homebirth/CPA chat, this morning, and that's what we were shown. We'll get one to check it out. If we think it's too small, we'll just save it for Lela, our 18-mo DD, to play in it later.
#9 of 48 Old 01-15-2002, 06:19 PM

Uh, I really meant homebirth/CPM!!! [dork]
#10 of 48 Old 01-20-2002, 09:29 AM

I'm a newbie with a question. How do you keep the water warm in the trough or kiddie pool. And how do you get warm water in there to begin with? Did you all put it upstairs in your house, or keep it downstairs in case of a leak?

I just found out I'm pg and dying to do a homebirth!

Thanks.
#11 of 48 Old 01-20-2002, 05:04 PM

I agree w/the earlier post about making sure your tub has a disposable liner in it. My dr. was very worried about bacteria that you cannot get rid of in tubs, but my midwife has liners for all of her tubs. I don't know the height, but I could sit on my bottom and it was over my head. The sides need to be sturdy. Remember, dh will prob. be in there, too, and when it comes time to push, the tub will see lots of action.

We didn't line the floor or anything first. I did splash a little water over as I was getting out so have towels handy. Of course! And, we kept a hose between the tub and the bathtub for when the water temp. got too cool. There was a thermometer in the tub and the mw just bucketed water out and replaced w/hot water as necessary.

Have fun!:

#12 of 48 Old 01-21-2002, 01:06 PM

I didn't really worry about a leak. Things get wet, carpet bed etc. I figure it is just water, so everything will dry . . . (and we boiled water or just plug in a crock pot in your bed room and have someone keep emptying it into the pool after it is warm.
#13 of 48 Old 01-23-2002, 08:57 PM

Start saving now for the Aquadoula, in my humble opinion. As a homebirth midwife, I can tell you nothing works half as well!!! Clean-up is a snap, the water stays at a constant, WARM temp, and it has a soft floor and sides, really important if you plan to labor there for extended periods of time! I had a waterbith in an Aquadoula, and am planning another one for this baby ( due in Sept.)
#14 of 48 Old 01-23-2002, 09:48 PM

Hey nan,

Gee, everyone's suggestions sound really expensive! We used a kiddie pool Like this one:
http://www.outdoorguides.com/outdoor.../intex47-1.jpg
but a little bit smaller. That one is 90" across and ours was 60". It was perfect for just me, but you'd need the bigger one if you wanted anyone in with you. I think we paid around $45 for ours, and that's CDN, so it's practically free in USD! haha.

It was easy to empty and fill. Used a garden hose attached to the kitchen sink to fill it up and the thick plastic sides kept the water the perfect temp for over an hour. If we'd needed to keep it warm longer I think we could have covered it and it would have lasted a really long time. We used a little drill-powered syphon to empty it and again, used the garden hose and emptied it into the bathtub drain.

I just love the fishies and the fact that it's clear. Our ds will have fun playing in it some day!
#15 of 48 Old 01-24-2002, 07:02 PM

We just had a waterbirth on the 16th and
got our pool from Redspools.com
its a kiddi pool 24" deep and it worked great
we set it up on a big tarp, attatched a hose to
our sink and filled it up as much as I needed and
had plenty room to keep adding warm water as
I needed it. I paid 16 dollars plus shipping for it, it was on
sale when I bought it. My main concern was the offgassing
of the plastic and all, we just set it out for a few weeks ahead
of time and set it up a week or so before I had the baby and
it was fine, no funky smell at all.
Racheal
#16 of 48 Old 01-24-2002, 07:11 PM

Hey yeah, that is exactly the one we used. Congratulations on your new bundle of love!
#17 of 48 Old 01-25-2002, 11:28 AM

I've got a jacuzzi at home and would like to use it during my labor. How do i keep the water warm for hours?
#18 of 48 Old 01-25-2002, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If there is no temp. control, then keep adding(or have someone else keep adding) warm water. The midwife w/ whom I am working uses a horse trough regularly w/ this method.

Happy laboring!
#19 of 48 Old 01-25-2002, 02:31 PM

The problem is that once i fill up the tub, my hot water heater is empty, it takes a while to heat up more water again. i thought maybe there was some kind of heater i could hook up to the tub but i don't want it to be dangerous.
#20 of 48 Old 01-26-2002, 01:52 AM

what we did was just to boil water and add it. I don't know about the side heaters or anything. but boiling water wasn't that hard and worked pretty well. good luck
#21 of 48 Old 01-26-2002, 10:39 PM

Hi a few of you mentioned below you ordered your pool from redspools.com. I was wondering, did you get the Aquarium inflatable? And did you get the 60, 77 or 90 inch? Was your dh able to get in with you? Was the 22 inches deep enough for you to soak comfortably?

These are a great deal now, I might go ahead and order mine.
#22 of 48 Old 01-27-2002, 04:42 PM

I got the smallest pool from redspools (60)
and it was plenty big for me. I was worried before i ordered it that it would not be deep enough but it was. I filled it up to where it would cover my belly fine and still had lots of room to add water as needed.
Dh did not get in with me but both of my older sons did
and there was room for more! Both Dh and I could definately
have fit in it.
Racheal
#23 of 48 Old 01-27-2002, 07:45 PM

I also got the 60". It was just right! And when they say the walls are sturdy enough to support a person sitting on them, it's true. It's a great little pool, and has an inflatable bottom so your tush will be comfy.

ambikusmillicai likes this.
#24 of 48 Old 01-27-2002, 09:37 PM

Oh, I'm sold! This seems so much more economical than renting the aquadoula. I mean, my hb will cost 2100, I don't exactly have an extra $300 sitting around after that for a birthing tub! My mw suggested a horse trough, but I think that would be hard on my back and tushie. The kiddie pool will be softer (and make nicer pics too

Thanks!
#25 of 48 Old 01-28-2002, 05:48 PM

that'll work too-- thanks
#26 of 48 Old 01-29-2002, 12:10 PM

First of all, thanks for letting all of us in on redspools. My dh had a super time on the website. In addition to the pools, they had a link to some Christmas sale items (lawn lighting art). he had been searching the web for these things and almost cried when he saw them. I think he wants our house to look like the Griswold's or a Christmas wonder land next year--I digress. Anyway, we bought the 77". We haven't received it yet, but will inflate it and check out the depth. I'm very encouraged by all of the comments so far. We chose the 77" because my husband is a very tall man. Neither of us would be considered petite. We just thought it would be better. I'll let you know. Jennifer
#27 of 48 Old 01-29-2002, 11:25 PM

A friend of mine has one of those new "Softub" hot tubs - it is big and deep enough to seat 3 people comfortably and it is collapsible so storeage would not be a problem. She paid about 1600.00 for hers two years ago she has offered to let us borrow it for our next birth (hoping to be PG soon) sincw we are hoping for a homebirth this time. WE had midwives with our 13 month old daughter and were thrilled enough to want to try it at home next time. Good luck!
#28 of 48 Old 02-01-2002, 03:22 AM

I've been wondering about this too as we bought our house not knowing the 40 gallon water heater was working at about half-capacity. The bedroom is upstairs from the kitchen and I think it'd be a pain carrying boiling water up the stairs so I think I'm going to buy an electric kettle and keep it going in the bedroom. I guess really the Mr. Coffee would work fine too....just a thought!

Maureen
#29 of 48 Old 02-01-2002, 01:29 PM

Do make sure you keep the water warm...I wasn't planning on a waterbirth, but once it was time to push, I did not want to get out of the tub when Eli was born. Unfortunately, we hadn't set the tub up in time to get the water warm enough for the birth, just warm enough for my comfort during labor. Bottom line, I had to stand up (was supposed to get out of the tub) and make sure baby's head didn't get in the too cold water and breath water instead of air. May this time, I'll actually get to have the baby in the water...we've tried twice already.

....living, learning and loving everyday with the Sweet Pea Bridgade
#30 of 48 Old 02-02-2002, 12:41 AM

Boohoo!!! Redspools is sold out of the 60" Aquarium pool! Now what!?! I was SO excited. It was only $27.20 with shipping as compared to about $370 for the Aquadoula (with shipping). Wah!!!:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page