To tell your OB or not? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 01-23-2003, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"and was released four hours after the delivery, which was unheard of in those days and is against federal law now."

Is that true?? how can federal law say that??????
#32 of 43 Old 01-23-2003, 11:59 AM

I think that it is against the law to *make* someone leave before 48 hours; but you can request to leave sooner. I'm not sure if it is federal...I think it is state by state, but I am not certain. Once we transported someone, and they wanted to leave soon after the birth, and our doc dismissed them and they left about 6-8 hours after the babe was born. They probably would have left even sooner, but of course it took the staff a while to get the paperwork, etc in order and do the actual dismissal.
#33 of 43 Old 01-23-2003, 12:29 PM

Applejuice-

you are correct, the political climate and malpractice ins. situation does affect whether an OB would back up a midwife or not. I still maintain that it _does_ happen, and quite regularly. sometimes out in the open, sometimes not.

there is a birthing center in taos NM w/ at least 2 OBs on staff, a husband and a wife team that I know of. the birth center is run by a CPM who also provides a reputable correspondance midwifery program, and the center is mainly staffed by midwives. those Drs. back the midwives up. and they do it openly. it does happen in some states, albeit only openly in those such as TN and NM where midwives and supporters have worked hard to open up the option of midwifery care for women.

also, I maintain that a UC birth is a different kind of bird than a midwife attended birth. both are healthy valid options that I firmly believe should be available for women and their partners, but they aren't exactly the same.

-Lau
#34 of 43 Old 01-23-2003, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
To Luke'smum:

There was an act of Congress that made it illegal to release a newly delivered woman w/in 48 hrs after birth.

I do not know if a woman can sign herself out against medical advice before 48 hours, but I know that now you cannot be made to leave.

I live here in SoCalifornia, and there were lots of midwives here 20 yrs ago, but now the climate has changed and the medical establishment keeps the midwives out. There are always a few, but not as strident as it was before.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#35 of 43 Old 01-23-2003, 10:45 PM

You can always sign yourself out AMA, of course, your insurance is unlikely to pay for any charges incurred.

However, if the woman wants to leave, the physician can release her (not AMA) before the 48 hour time period.

But she cannot be MADE to leave, that is correct.

This is my interpretation of the law. I'm pretty sure this is correct. Emphasis on "pretty sure!"
#36 of 43 Old 01-24-2003, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by applejuice
To Luke'smum:

There was an act of Congress that made it illegal to release a newly delivered woman w/in 48 hrs after birth.
I think what you mean is "discharge" as in "kick her out", not release. Where I work, we have women who decide to leave (I don't even think that it is AMA if they are out on post-partum and they can get the OB to write the discharge order) sooner than 48 hours, if not "all the time", frequently enough to know that it is not that difficult. We get women who aren't necessarily "natural birth" types who just find they can't sleep in the hospital (or we are making them crazy doing vital signs at 4 AM : ) and they decide to go home the next morning.
#37 of 43 Old 01-24-2003, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is this only the rule in hospitals? A birth center once told me they require a minimum stay of only 6 hours. I don't know what the maximun stay is.

How long do home birth midwives generally hang around for?
#38 of 43 Old 01-24-2003, 09:18 PM

I assume birth centers and home birth midwives make their own rules. At our center, minimum stay is two hours, maximum is twelve hours. To be discharged mom must eat, drink, and pee, and we must be comfortable with her physical status and her understanding of the discharge instructions.
#39 of 43 Old 01-24-2003, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I hear that not only can you leave AMA, you can also stay AMA. Of course, this means your insurance most likely will not pay, but they can't make you leave.
#40 of 43 Old 01-24-2003, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
alittle OT...
Years ago, (about 30) a friend of mine delivered in a small town hospital. She had a good relationship w/her doctor who agreed to allow her to check out early after delivery if everything went well. It was supposed to be in her file.

Well she delivered, everything was glorious, and the doctor left the hospital immediately after the delivery for vacation. She wanted to leave as was agreed and discussed. The request was no where in her file, her doctor was "unavailable" and the staff refused to allow her to leave so she decided to sign out against medical advice. They then refused to give her her baby, a healthy newborn.

She could go home AMA, but the baby had to stay.

She refused to leave w/o the baby. She stood her ground.

The hospital then decided to allow her to take her baby home.

But she had to sign a form first. ...a form for the disposal of a dead infant. The hospital was covering their buts and being nasty also.

She had her next baby at home.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#41 of 43 Old 01-24-2003, 10:40 PM

I am soooo glad I live in Ontario, where midwifery is not only legal, but paid for by OHIP (Ontario health insurance paid by the government). I can't imagine having to go through the problems you guys do. And I left the hospital 3.5 hours after dd1 was born. I never did get to see anything but my delivery room!!
#42 of 43 Old 01-25-2003, 02:22 AM

It seems that medical doctors may really not have our best interests at heart regarding childbirth and wellwoman care.
#43 of 43 Old 01-25-2003, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by miriam
It seems that medical doctors may really not have our best interests at heart regarding childbirth and wellwoman care.
That's true... it's a long story, but with my dd I was induced. At the time I thought the OB was doing me a big favor... and we thought she saved dd's life by giving me an episiotomy.

Now I find out that a bp at 130/80 that lowers when I'm resting was not sufficient to put me on bedrest and then induce me. Also, lying in bed for my eight hour labor and pushing in the lithomy position didn't help (of course I was gonna tear!). Because of internal monitoring, the second dd's heart rate dropped I got an episiotomy.

Now... had I been at home everything would have been fine. My bp was not high enough to worry about strokes! I read in The Thinking Woman's Guide to Childbirth that lots of babies' heart rates drop while in the pushing stage and there's no difference in the results when an episiotomy is done which only makes pushing maybe 15 minutes shorter.

I feel like I was used badly! She had just gone solo, so I figure she either needed the $ kickbacks or was just being too careful. KWIM?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page