To tell your OB or not? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 01-17-2003, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If any of you are seeing an OB, do you tell her you are planning an homebirth or just have it be a surprise?

I was born at home, and my mother was seeing a small-town doctor. She never told him what her plans were, and then a few days after I was born my parents just brought me in and said "Here she is!"

Then when my mom was pg with my brother, she was seeing the same doctor and he told my dad "Look, I know you're going to deliver this baby again (we were UC's) so let me just give you some pointers, and I'll keep your wife as a patient."

I kept it secret from my OB group until I was 35 weeks and then a week later they magically came up with a reason why I should go to the hospital.: I'm thinking it may have been better not to tell them.

What do you think? Would it bother you to have to lie and keep secrets, or would you rather do that than risk getting stuck in the hospital?
#2 of 43 Old 01-17-2003, 03:01 AM
Banned

I would never see an OB in the first place. Ever.

But!

There is good reason to believe the OB is keeping his/her own secrets (how about that reason to get you into the hospital?) so I don't see any justification in being transparent with them.

It's hardly a relationship where the OB's cards are out on the table.

When ya got someone who makes money by the CYA code, well, I am not playing that game.

And that can go on my 'permanent record'.

#3 of 43 Old 01-17-2003, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I wish I had never gone. I still have female anatomy problems because of it. I was only going because I had constant UTI's and needed antibiotics (so I thought) and my midwife couldn't prescribe. I wish I had looked at other options.

rant rant rant

But if I for some reason went back to them I would probably tell them what my plans were, knowing that they will say anything to get me into the hospital and make more money and avoid liability. I think honesty can be really empowering sometimes.
#4 of 43 Old 01-17-2003, 03:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Helix
I think honesty can be really empowering sometimes.
But sometimes it can be throwing one's pearls before swine.

I was once telling my (then) sOB about my planned homebirth. Our state requires an sOB be in a supervisory role for the homebirth-attending midwife.

He said, 'then I'm dropping you as a patient in my practice.'

And walked out of the room.

I should have yelled, 'thank you!' but I was panicked at the thought of no sOB to 'make sure everything goes okay.'

I can say for certain, that guy was not even on my radar at my homebirth. I was spared by the Universe. And he missed out on a cool $10K.

Oh well. I'm sure he made up for that with a scheduled induction and FTP/posterior presentation/CPD C-sec.

It ain't a surgical specialty for nothin'!
#5 of 43 Old 01-17-2003, 11:22 AM

I will also go to an ob for "some" of my visits (not pg yet) and the only reason is that the insurance will pay for him but not my midwife.....
As it is I'm going to talk about VBAC, but I'll keep the homebirth idea to myself.
Chelly
TTC#3
#6 of 43 Old 01-17-2003, 11:36 AM

ok, I have to vehemently disagree with those who condone lying to the OB.

let me tell my story:

I live in a state (OH) where non-nurse midwives are allegal. however, there has been a recent case of a prosecution involving one who transported for PP hemmorrage so their situation is dicey. I live in a city with NO non-nurse midwives any closer than 1 1/2 hours away. I started out with CNMs that I know pretty well, but never felt comfortable in their practice, due to how they treated me a year prior, when I was seeing them for well woman care and had an abnormal pap. so.... I search and search and finally at almost 4 mo. find a midwife willing to drive the 1 1/2 hours here, if I go there for prenatals. she is knowledgeable and caring, but doesn't do births here, so doesn't have resources to connect me to.

after making some calls that never pan out I finally schedule an appt. to meet with an OB known for being pro-natural and low intervention, who "sneaks" waterbirths at hospitals that don't allow them. I got his name from our local ICAN leader P., who saw him prenatally for preg # 3 after 2 c/s, and then went on to birth at home with a HB midwife.

I told him up front that I wanted back-up for the unlikely event of the pregnancy becoming abnormal, or needing to transport for the birth. I told him I knew P., and that I knew her story.

he was initially very hesitant to take me on, and I think with good reason. I know he would have refused me had I come to him at almost 30 weeks, with a varied prenatal record, and not been clear with him what my plans were. red flags would have gone off. I have now agreed to a few prenatals with him so he can be assured that I am having a normal pregnancy, no stupid tests like gtt or ultrasounds, and he knows that if things go as planned, he won't be seeing me in labor at all. it is indicated in my chart at his office that I am planning a homebirth, against his advice that it would be better to deliver in the hosp. (the interesting thing is that in conversation he did tell me that he feels birthing in a hosp. is no more safe, just more likely to get you interventions, but for malpractice reasons, this is not something that can be recorded)

it damages the cause I think, of proving HB a safe and viable option that is made deliberately and is considered carefully, when we lie to the people we ask to provide us with care. let us not forget that drs., particularly those in single practices, or small groups, allocate a part of their life to be on call for laboring women. I think that not telling them your true plans could make HB some enemies, and that goes contrary to what needs to be happening to support women to make their own choices. and I would hope that anyone planning a HB would be choosing a dr. that is low intervention, low testing. these are the drs. we need to make alies, not alienate!

and always remember, if you are told something you don't agree with, or asked (or told) to do something you don't want to do, you can refuse. it is your birth, your baby.

-Lau
#7 of 43 Old 01-17-2003, 12:43 PM

I'm in OH too. I can just relate my experience. I was seeing an OB with the intent of delivering in the hospital when I decided that I was better off at home. After talking to some DEM's they said I could do what I liked but that one of them had had a client that had been with the same OB. She had elected not to tell him and after the birth when she did tell him, he said he wished she had told him earlier.

So I decided to be honest and let him know our plans. When I told him he said he would act as backup but that he did feel the hospital was the best place. However a week later he called us to say he had talked to his practice and they could not agree to it. We said fine, we'll find someone else. The next week we received a letter from him AND his lawyer stating that they have no responsibility in the whole thing and it's so dangerous, blah, blah, blah.

We ended up going with CNMs as our backup and they were very supportive of the homebirth. Told us how much they liked and respected our DEM.

I was just upset that he had said yes, and then changed his mind. I had been so relieved when he said yes that it was twice the disappointment that it had to get so lawyerly. This however is probably more a function of the current malpractice issues in OH.

mel
#8 of 43 Old 01-17-2003, 12:55 PM

I chose my OB (a nurse midwife) with this in mind, and at the first visit asked how she felt about it. She was great and said I was a good candidate based on my first birth (she was the delivering midwife for my first at the hospital, and that was the first time I met her.) If she had been uncomfortable with it I would have sought out another practitioner. But I could see a scenario of not telling if you are not likely to be seen as a "good candidate" or there is just not a support network in your medical practice. I think you would have a better experience at the OB with it out in the open (and then your issues would be better addressed too) but prepare--think of worst possible scenarios and create a back-up plan so you are not left vulnerable. Maybe your midwife knows the homebirth-friendly practitioners in your area.
#9 of 43 Old 01-17-2003, 02:33 PM

we were in a tough spot. My OB is head of OB at our hospital right now, and oversees a freestanding birth center. I had genetically related pregnancy complications...sis saw peri and OB early in pregnancy to screen for those issues. They saw a large clot on her placenta and had her to use blood thinners, then stop them at the end. Birth was planned at the birth center. When the time came closer, (32 week) OB says he never intended for her to birth there, just get her prenatal care there if she wanted. We used a lay midwife, told them the birth happened out of state on a family visit (a 10 lb oops!) So yes, I feel bad, but at the same time it was the only way to get her the birth she wanted...being not the hospital was more important than anything else to my sister, who has a lot of stranger anxiety. But, we hope they still like us...and we can maintain the fiction that it wasn't planned...since we'd like to use them in the future if my sis or me had a genetically affected pregnancy (about a 35% chance.) In the event of a medically complex situation, we'd like to use them - they are excellent. But the midwives...they know. Sort of. Our 10lb "accident". Her followups were with the birth center so she hasn't had to face the OB.
#10 of 43 Old 01-18-2003, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
sOB! I like that! It's funny! I'll try to not use it in front of an (s)OB.

I guess I don't know what I would do...:
#11 of 43 Old 01-18-2003, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm planning on seeing an OB for prenatal in the early part of my pregnancy because I'm going to move mid-pregnancy to another state, where I'll get a midwife. I'd probably not bother with the OB, or I'd see a midwife here, except that I think I qualify for medicaid so it'll be free. I'm hoping I can just see an NM, since I prefer a NP for my regular OB/GYN. Regardless of who it is, I have no intention of lying, and if they say anything particularly ignorant, I'll see about going to someone else. (Although I'm expecting more trouble from ignorance with respect to vegetarianism than with respect to miwifery, at least at first). I'll keep everyone posted after my first appointment on how it goes (should be next week or so).

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#12 of 43 Old 01-18-2003, 09:46 PM

Well, I started out with a practice of 5 OBs. After several appts I had only met two of them. One of them I couldn't stand (long story).

Anyway, had I stayed with them while planning my homebirth I would not have told them, but that didn't feel right. SO, my midwife hooked me up with her backup OB who is really great (for a doctor that is). He is letting me off the hook on the GD test and will not push me for the group b strep test if I don't want it.

Ravin- I qualify for Hoosier Healthwise (a version of medicaid for pg women) and they will only cover MDs or OBs. No midwives, not even the CNM who has a birthing center an hour and a half away.

For me, the simplicity and lack of intervention with my DEM is the best ever!
#13 of 43 Old 01-19-2003, 12:28 AM

One issue that I haven't seen really seen here is that insurance usually covers prenatal care as a "package deal" - if they don't do the delivery, the OB doesn't get anything for your prenatal care. I cannot in good faith do that to someone. And 99.9% of OB's will not keep you as pt. if you tell them you are planning a homebirth. Perinatalogists are different - you can see them as a "consult" and they still get paid whether you deliver with them or not. But you have to have a reason to see them!
#14 of 43 Old 01-19-2003, 12:12 PM

Just thought I'd add... I haven't been to see the OBs since I was 19w and I left without seeing the OB because she was running 2 hrs late (I waited 45 min before asking... they wouldn't have even told me!).

They have not called or anything and it's been seven weeks. So much for personal care, I got tired of the OBs having the introduce themselves at every visit.

PS- a nurse at this group of doctors' office told my friend they will bill a partial amount of the prenatal care/delivery if she delivered at home.
#15 of 43 Old 01-19-2003, 12:59 PM

I work at a birth center, and we have had a few people do this to us. It is disconcerting when it happens. With people who are up front with us, we document that we advise against it, but we also encourage them to continue to come for prenatals. If there was ever legal action taken against the mother and father (if the babe died in a UC), at least they would have documentation of seeking out and receiving good prenatal care, and of having a normal pregnancy without any complications.

Also, it gives us the opportunity to discuss chidbirth with them. If it is their first babe, or if they have only had hospital experiences before, we encourage all our clients to take our childbirth classes. They discuss alot of anatomy and physiology, what to expect in the different parts of labor, coping mechanisms, postpartum care of babe and mom, newborn care and breastfeeding.

If they have an accidental or intentionaly UC, we still do the 24 hour phone call visit and the 48 hour home visit (if they tell us in time) as well as the 2 week, 6 week, and 3 month post partum office visits.

I must say, I always feel a bit, I don't know, insulted, disappointed, when someone does an intentional UC on us without having shared their intentions. I feel like we develop very good relationships with our clients, that we don't honor that "maintain a professional distance" code, and really become friends with our clients. We don't lie to them, and we expect the same of us. I guess I am always a little hurt (I say always, it has only happened a couple of times in the couple of years that I have been there) because I am shocked that they didn't think they could share that info with us. Like our friendship was breached. Like they couldn't trust us enough. We shared ourselves with them, they couldn't share this intent with us?

I think that we have a pretty extraordinary practice, and I guess you would have to feel out your doc individually. I think that honesty is the best policy in general, but I know that each situation is different.

I just wanted to share a little from your practitioners point of view. Hope I expressed myself well!
#16 of 43 Old 01-19-2003, 02:51 PM

well, so far this is an interesting and very honest conversation. that's a start, I think!

lori - what you had to say was very interesting to me, and I think you were very clear.

I wanted to ask you something: it seems that you are speaking of women who've been seeing your MW practice, that has dr. backup, and choose to UC without sharing that info. have you ever had a women see the practice for prenatal care, then birth at home with a HB midwife without sharing the plan?

I think a UC birth and a midwife assisted birth with the attendant prenatals that a HB midwife gives, and the skills and equipment she brings to a birth are two different things. Do you agree?

I also would like to address the point (with everyone) of liking the OB/not liking the OB. It would seem to me to be counterproductive to have an OB for prenatals that works in a big practice where you see them all, getting whoever is on call/in scheduled for office hours, if what you really want is individualized, supportive care (i.e. that is why you choose to birth at home). in the event that you went into labor preterm, or experience an unforseen complication resulting in hospital transport, or more medical management of the pregnancy, that big practice is not going to give you supportive care, no matter what your transport birth plan is, or your non-interventive views. far better to choose a solitary or small practice that supports the philosophy of natural birth, VBAC, etc.

I realize that is probably not possible for the mom who is on Medicare and has to go with a limited choice of care providers.

what do you all think?

-Lau
#17 of 43 Old 01-19-2003, 05:51 PM

Lori, I tried to pm you - I was wondering what state are you in? Anyway, kind of to Lau's point...when HB midwives are not very available, and DE are illegal, it certainly affects the honesty. I think your point, Lau, about choosing a smaller practice is a good one...it's unfortunate so few OB's (at least around here) practice independently in a smaller group.
#18 of 43 Old 01-19-2003, 07:01 PM

I have been wondering what to do. I am 33 weeks and planning a HB with a DEM/CPM but also going to a CNM who is in a VERY medically managed OB practice. I had a genetic disorder to be screened for...had some first trimester bleeding so I stuck with them. One of the OB's , whom I told that I was considering a HB said she would see me up until I delvered. BUT I mostly see the CNM who I can tell really likes me and is excited to actually have someone educated on birth!! I have lots of AMA's in my file and she knows I don't like the Hospital but I haen't old her directly what my plan is -yet. I want to test for Strep B at my next appt. She thinks I'm planning to labor at home and come in at the last minute...but at my last appt. she said "you aren't going to bail on me are you?" It was almost like her feelings were hurt or something. I just said I wasn't sure what I was doing. I plan to tell her if all goes well I hope to stay at home (she knows I have friends/network of CPM and a friend who is a non-practicing CNM) I am hoping she will be ok with this. If not, well, my backup can just be to go to the hospital--there's an OB on call and what can they do??
#19 of 43 Old 01-19-2003, 10:34 PM

Lau- I only know of a few small practices that work with the preferred hospital. The two hospitals in my town are well known for botching births and the stories range from my midwife's client (before she was her client) who ended up with a c-section that was a bikini cut and the up and down cut to dh's niece who they started on Pit, turned it off, turned it back on, gave her an epidural, turned off the pit, turned it back on... she ended up with a giant episiotomy and a son who had to be transferred an hour away to a children's hospital with pneumonia while she stayed here. Yuck.

There's two practices that work with the preferred hospital, one has a male and a female OB and the other is a male OB.

The solitary male OB is pretty nice and he's my backup OB. THe other office with two OBs won't take Medicare and actually refused to take me as a patient unless I showed paperwork showing the state had dropped me. And the female OB is the one who delivered my dd. Of course, looking back she didn't do as good of a job as I thought. : That was a blessing in disguise in that they wouldn't let me come to them!
#20 of 43 Old 01-20-2003, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If you do not like to get bitten, then why do you hang around a snake?

If you go to a sOB, and are honest w/ them about planning a homebirth, --- well, there have been court cases over the years in which the mother - to - be would refuse a c-sec, and then the sOB and/or hospital would make the fetus a ward of the court and have a court order to hold the mother against her will in the hospital.

It happens.

If you are planning a homebirth, then go to the appropriate practitioners. You can not have it both ways.

Incidentally, over the years, I have known of sOB's who refused to do homebirths, who refused to backup midwives, who reported any peer who even treated a patient who "accidentally" delivered at home, but the hypocrit delivered his own children at home.

Talk about honesty.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#21 of 43 Old 01-20-2003, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by applejuice
If you go to a sOB, and are honest w/ them about planning a homebirth, --- well, there have been court cases over the years in which the mother - to - be would refuse a c-sec, and then the sOB and/or hospital would make the fetus a ward of the court and have a court order to hold the mother against her will in the hospital.

It happens.
That's what made me nervous about telling my original OBs. I was glad insurance worked out to where I'm able to see an OB (once at 24w and once at 35-37w) who I can be honest with him (he's the midwife's backup OB). He respects my decision not to do the GD test and will not push me if I decide not to do the group b strep test.

The 'care' I received at the original 5 OBs office was nominal anyway... pee in cup, listen to heartbeat and listen to lecture on how if I didn't wean dd (then 19mo) she would be jealous of the baby. Hello?! Like she's not going to be jealous anyway if that's in her nature!
#22 of 43 Old 01-20-2003, 09:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by applejuice
[B]If you are planning a homebirth, then go to the appropriate practitioners. You can not have it both ways.[QUOTE]

Some of us HAVE to go to the sOB, because that is covered by our insurance, and for the birth part, well we're prepared to pay out of our pockets for, but if someone is just going to take my blood pressure, make me pee in a cup etc.... then let the insurance pay for the OB, the improtant part of BIRTH however - I'll pay for.

Chelly
#23 of 43 Old 01-20-2003, 11:35 PM

Homebirth and midwives were never covered by any insurance I had.

I had four home births. Only one was covered by insurance. The other three I paid out of pocket. That means all of the lab tests also.

You just have to get your priorities straight, and know what is important for you. This was important to me, so I paid for it.

You don't have to go anywhere you don't want to go. We are not in a totalitarian state. Yet.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#24 of 43 Old 01-20-2003, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I'm currently depending on medicaid, and since it doesn't pay for a CPM in TX, I'm stuck w/ OB or maybe a CNM for my prenatal care. BUT, I'm moving to AZ mid-pg, where I will see a midwife, and in that state Medicaid DOES reimburse for that, but even if it doesn't I'll pay out of pocket. (With any luck my DH will have a decent job by then and we'll be able to AFFORD it!!!)

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#25 of 43 Old 01-20-2003, 11:49 PM
Banned

FWIW, I just ended a year long fight with my HMO (NOT a PPO!!) in their denial to pay for my homebirth.

Yeah, they told me I had to see a gOBlin for my prenatal.

Yeah, they told me I had to have a sOB in a supervisory role for my LM.

Yeah, they denied all claims for almost a year.

And I just received a certified letter from them saying that after careful review of everything I've sent them, they will pay for it all. This is completely inconsistent with their stated policies and my level of coverage with them.

I would not give up and I was smart about who I talked with, I had dates, times, person's name, exact quotes, etc. each time I contacted the HMO. I found vice presidents and sent them personal letters within the HMO, not satisfied with the run of the mill customer service rep.

I knew my states laws regarding birth. I knew exactly how much I'd saved the HMO. I knew birth stats and safety backward and forward. And I knew how to threaten their reputation.

I'm not a PhD or super intelligent person. But I'm determined and the more someone tells me 'nope', the more I dig in my heels.

I could have said, 'but I HAVE to see a sOB because my HMO pays for it.'

But then, I would have availed myself to the medical specialty with the lowest rate of evidence-based practices, let a physician build a personal medical record on me that can be used against me (even pee and blood tell tales and put women into a position of defending their choices or removing their choices), and at my most spiritually open time (pregnancy) make me deal with long waits in an office, procedures I didn't need and most importantly, lying about my intentions, even if I said nothing about my birth plans.

Everyone told me that I would end up paying for the birth out of pocket, to just give up 'cuz no HMOs ever pay for homebirths', etc.

Just because 'everyone' says it can't be done, doesn't make it true.
#26 of 43 Old 01-21-2003, 08:54 PM

oops
#27 of 43 Old 01-22-2003, 02:27 AM

I have always believed that if you want something done right, you should go to the right person. If natural childbirth is your "thing," (clearly, some women want pain medication from the beginning) you should be with a midwife (not necessarily a licensed CNM), in a birthcenter or at home.

OB-GYNS are surgeons intended for approximately 5-6 percent of women who are high risk, thus they speacialize in interventions. In this situation, you cannot have your cake and eat it, too or the best of both worlds because doctors and midwives are simply too different.
#28 of 43 Old 01-22-2003, 10:28 AM

I agree that Drs. and midwives (in particular lay/HB midwives) fufill a completely different role than OBs do.

what I don't agree with is that is only possible to have one or the other. since they fufill different roles, they have different niches.

if I were a woman who needed to transport to the hospital (as did my midwife's last client in my area, for an unexpected footling breech in her case that could not be delivered safely vaginally at home) for an unforseen emergency I would NOT want to be the woman who is seen coming off the street, with no "medical" prenatal records, though she may have those done by the midwife, maybe some labs; in some states without the acknowledged support of her care provider that transported (in many places, these midwives must come along as "friends" not practitioners to avoid persecution from the medical board).

how is this woman going to be treated by the hospital, "failed homebirth" [read: dangerous choice] that she is?

how would she be treated if she had those magical records on file with the hospital, with a Dr. that had admitting privilages? does someone ask the woman what she wants to do when she gets to the hospital? no. they ask the dr. no matter if the dr. is a person familiar with the woman and her desires and plans and can advocate for her (this is where choosing your provider is important), or if the dr. is the resident on the floor who just happens to be available to deal with the crazy failed homebirth woman. is the woman herself in a position to actively advocate for herself? hopefully so, but if we are talking about severe PP hemmorage w/ blackouts, let's say, then maybe not.

I don't know a midwife around who wouldn't prefer to have a Dr. back her up if at all possible, to avoid a situation like this for mom AND midwife. the Farm midwives would never have been able to do what they do without the support of the Dr. that Ina May met in New Hampshire who gave her her first obstetric manual and taught her some basic birth skills, and the Dr. they later collaborated with in Summertown, TN. They still use Dr. backup now, BTW. My own midwife is familiar with the Drs. in her area, and states in her contract that she requests you do labs once in pregnancy, and will provide you with a list of Drs. if you request it. (Unfortunately for me, I fall outside her normal practicing area, 2 counties away, so I found my own person to do labs, be there in case of emergency transport).

Is that having your cake and eating it too?

-Lau
#29 of 43 Old 01-22-2003, 01:13 PM

Birthinglau--

no, we have never had a woman present for prenatal care, then have a birth with a HB midwife. The only homebirth midwives in the area at this point have pretty consistent back up...at least, there are a couple family practitioners in the area that are friendly to out-of-hospital birth (and as a result, have had many many people referred to them for prenatal as well as routine medical care...).

It hasn't happened very often, I think only a couple of times in the last couple of decades...and the last time it happened, the woman presented at our clinic at 41+ weeks; her boyfriends mom "had been at a few births before" and was "helping her out" during the pregnancy. But, when she went so overdue, the bf's mom got nervous and wanted her checked out. We did a routine prenatal, an NST, talked about potential outcomes, and scheduled her for a prenatal appointment the next week. She didn't show that next week, so we called and she said she had had her baby a couple of days before...11 pounds, 3 ounces at the pediatrician two days after birth! No tear. Sticky shoulders that she said her bf's mother had her go on her hands and knees and the baby slid right out. We saw her for her 2 week check, and they were both perfect and she was very happy with her birth experience.

She told me her bf's mom's name, and it wasn't a name I recognized....I know the names, at least, of all the lay midwives in the area. We asked her a couple of times if her bf's mom was a midwife, and every time she said no. She probably wasn't, then, but she knew enough to handle sticky shoulders, which was good.

I must say I was disappointed, though, for two reasons. First of all, she seemed like a neat gal, and I would have loved to have attended her birth. Also, I would have LOVED to see an 11+ pound babe born (first time mom, did I mention that? She was around 5'9", not overweight in the least, healthy diet and lifestyle...). I guess it is not about me, though, and I'm glad she was happy with her experience.

Our charges, by the way, are broken down based on what sort of client you are...occasionally we only provide prenatal care, or if you transport, fees will be prorated. When both our midwives lived near, we used to attend some home births, but you were charged the same as if you had a birth at our center; that is, you were still charged a facility fee, because we had to double staff, basically, if we had a home birth and a birth center birth at the same time. But we aren't staffed well enough now to be able to provide those services at this time. Hopefully in the future, though.

To the topic to tell your OB or not...I still think that under most circumstances it is a good idea to tell them; at the very least, I think you should seek some care...if only for the very reason stated, that if there is a transport, you already have established care and records. If there is any legal issues, at least you have proof that you sought out care and were healthy and proactive in your pregnancy.

Hopefully, if you are birthing with a homebirth midwife, she will be able to recommend docs to you. If not, well, i guess that is always your choice to seek "medical" care or not, and if you do, to tell them or not. I would feel out what your hb midwife thinks, and maybe go from there. If you are UCing, welll, no good advice here! I guess I'd try to find other UCers in the area and ask them!
#30 of 43 Old 01-23-2003, 03:48 AM

My experience has been that sOB's do not officially provide any kind of backup to any midwife or homebirther b/c they become a pariah in the medical community.

Some have UN-officially, but it often depends on the political climate at that point in time, and what their malpractice insurance dictates.

My experience w/ homebirth and backup goes back forty-three years. In 1960, my mother had had four UC home births (I was her first) attended by my Father. When my mother was pregnant w/ her fifth, a breech. She went to a highly regarded sOB who was excellent in delivering breeches vaginally. The sOB yelled at her and my Father when they told him how the others were delivered UC at home. He screamed - "Don't you know that is illegal?" ( It wasn't; he was lying!)

Anyway, she delivered my sister w/o any problems, and was released four hours after the delivery, which was unheard of in those days and is against federal law now.

I remember seeing her come home. It seems like yesterday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page