How BIG was that HEAD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-17-2003, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still in the TTC stage, and my last birth was a c-section (breech) my son had a HUGE head, or what seemed really big to me, I'm trying to calm my fears on getting a head that size out the natural way.........
His Head was 15 inches........ he weighed 8.7lbs 20inches long.

I know this is a weird question, but that cervix doesn't seem to open enough to get a head that big out - or am I just freaking out about nothing?

Chelly
TTC#3
#2 of 20 Old 01-17-2003, 02:08 PM

My son's head was about that size and he was 10 lbs 9 oz- vaginal with no drugs. Yes that cervix does stretch to amazing sizes!
#3 of 20 Old 01-17-2003, 02:13 PM

I have attended about 100 births in the last two years as a nurse, and one of my jobs is the measure the babe's head.

The head of a c-section baby will not have molded since it didn't travel through the pelvis, so it will be a mite bigger.

Most heads of vaginally birthed babies measure in the 13 1/2 to 14 1/2 inches range. That is the measurement all the way around the head (what is that, the circumference? Geometry sucks...). But we aren't interested so much in that...we are interested in the diameter. How big across the baby's head is. Most heads, when presenting properly, are about 9 1/2 CENTIMETERS in diameter...about 4 to 4 1/2 inches across...sounds more doable, doesn't it?

A fifteen inch head on a c-section baby sound perfectly normal to me. That head would have been smaller, due to molding, had your first child been born vaginally.

I hope this calms your fears. It sounds to me like your first baby had a 100% normal head size, given his mode of birth.
#4 of 20 Old 01-17-2003, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

That certainly does make me feel better about it.
I'm going to avoid having an US when I do get pregnant - because I don't want anyone to tell me HOW BIG the baby is. My family have pretty big babies, my son was on the small side at 8.7 pounds... (I was over 10 when I was born) I really like the idea of a big baby, and I told my husband that the next one will be over 10. Those tiny little 6 or so pound babies make me nervous - I've never held one that small although they're very cute to look at!

THANK YOU for the positive input!
Chelly
#5 of 20 Old 01-18-2003, 01:14 AM

Hi,
The cervix will stretch...I just had my third baby 10 days ago,(first UC).

Mama to my tribe
#6 of 20 Old 01-18-2003, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Oh Congratulations on your baby!
Does UC mean unassisted? Now THAT would scare me....... you're VERY BRAVE....

Chelly
#7 of 20 Old 01-19-2003, 08:53 PM

NO..I consider hospital birth brave, lol. (I have had 2 of them). Yeah. UC is unassisted..though I had lots of love, prayer, and support. You can read my birth story in the unassisted birth thread on here; just posted it.

Mama to my tribe
#8 of 20 Old 01-19-2003, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness Jenni - his head was 15 inches as well!!!

YOU'RE MY HERO.

#9 of 20 Old 01-21-2003, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! My ds2 was born at home and was 10lbs 15 oz, his head was 15inches. So it's doable
Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#10 of 20 Old 01-22-2003, 09:51 PM

Well...............

My son was born at home this summer and his head was 16", and he weighed 12 pounds 1.6 ounces. It is doable!!!

By the way, he was a VBAC too, my first section was because the OB said my daughter (11 pounds 5 ounces) wouldn't fit, and her shoulders would get stuck.

Don't sweat it, our bodies can do amazing things!

Joanna
#11 of 20 Old 01-22-2003, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow Chichimama, I thought my boy was big

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#12 of 20 Old 01-25-2003, 09:57 PM

Yeah the cervix can stretch! But only if you are in a comfort zone, so you can let yourself go.....
my son was 15 1/2 head cir at 11 lbs 4 oz and my cervix dialated to about 14 cm not 10.... it took about 7 hours to go from 7 com to fully dialated (ie baby desending) but if you are at home and have the right support (for you) and have patience, it can happen perfectly (for you)!
Remeber to beware of buying into the belive that htere is a right way or "the' way. There is only YOUR and your baby's way. Follow that and you will always be fine!!!!
good luck ttc!
ps both mine were born at home unassited - a beautiful way to birth!
and have you all seen the last two issues of Midwifery Today Magazine they both had great articles and pictures of unassited birth complete with discussions between the midwives about why we are all choosing unassisted birth! not to be missed! ;-) it is about time!
love to all ;-)
#13 of 20 Old 01-25-2003, 10:07 PM

Every birth is different.

Every woman is different.

Every baby is different.

There are no guarantees.
#14 of 20 Old 01-26-2003, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

WOW - I had no idea that a 15inch head was so common - everyone at the hospital where by baby was born (c-sec, breech) kept on saying; "Wow, you're lucky he was c-sec, you wouldn't have gotten that head out"
I've since spoken to my doctor (who delivered my son) and I asked him what the chance was of me delivering the next baby vaginally - he said he didn't think it would be a problem at all - he said that even woman who've been told the baby was too big have gone on to deliver even bigger babies vaginally the second time round......
By the way, I'm only 8dpo and I'm convinced that the next baby is on the way - I don't have a ton of symptoms, only one really - BIGGER BOOBS that are a tiny bit sensitive.... got to wait another week to test - its going to drive me NUTS........
Thanks for all your replies, I feel so much more confident, and nt worried that I have babies with overly BIG heads....
Chelly

#15 of 20 Old 01-26-2003, 02:52 PM

Just wanted to add...

was at a birth a couple of days ago where the bag of waters remained intact until the head emerged and the midwife broke the bag to wipe off the face and untangle the cord from around his neck. The babe's head was not much molded, only a little, and when I measured it a couple of hours later....15 1/2 cm. First time mom, pushed for about 1 1/2 hours maybe. Babe was only 8 1/2 pounds, but was 22 1/2 inches long. 42+ weeks. Mom only tore because the babe had one hand up by his face, and though the midwife tried to control it, when the body emerged, the elbow popped out. Still, it wasn't a huge tear, only a first degree--just a couple of stitches.

When I measured the head, I thought about this topic!
#16 of 20 Old 01-26-2003, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chelly2003

I know this is a weird question, but that cervix doesn't seem to open enough to get a head that big out - or am I just freaking out about nothing?
Totally would have molded and shaped to get through. Don't worry! The head is never what bothers me, it is those shoulders.

I gave birth to a linebacker princess....ouch! But even her shoulders ( which did get a bit stuck) were easy to manuver and loosen thanks to the calm controlled atmosphere of a natural homebirth. I shudder to think how it would have all been treated at a hospital. ( as I don't think I would have been unmedicated, and would never been able to stand up and 'dance' her out!)

Good luck on your journey, don't let fear be part of that seed!
#17 of 20 Old 01-27-2003, 07:23 PM

My first son had a 13 1/2" head and he was 8pounds and 9 1/2 ounces.

Remy just born by uc on the 14th had a 14 1/2 inch head and weighed 9 pounds 8 ounces!

I had an ob early on in my pg with Remy say that I should have never had Eli my first vaginally....but hey I did and I had an even bigger baby this go round. He wanted to do a section by the way!
#18 of 20 Old 01-28-2003, 03:16 PM

Missy Princess,
I had an UC for my first daughter and stopped going to usless OB appointments at 35 weeks then went back for a post partum (not sure why) and had the OB tell me five reasons she would have done a c-sec for her.....after I told her my birth story....why, I didn't even tear? so stupid!
Good for you and the UC!
keep spreading the word!! Eventually the whole world will know the truth not just a handful of woman!
peace,
#19 of 20 Old 01-30-2003, 01:07 PM

I remember when I was about a week overdue with dd, I had a dream that some medical student casually mentioned to me that he had done some calculations, and figured out that my cervix would have to dilate to 15 cm! It's scary stuff.
I was big: I gained 60 pounds, pretty much all in the belly area. Our midwife did do an extra careful feel-around toward the end to make absolutely sure there was only one baby in there!

DD was 10lb, 8 oz, 22 inches long, with a 15" head, and 15" shoulders. Her apgars were 9 and 10, and I didn't tear at all! And actually, her head didn't seem to mold at all. It was a little odd to see how round her head was.
Being in water during transition was very helpful. It's an amazing feeling...

Have you seen the book Birthing From Within?
It was a great tool for exploring my beliefs and fears, and figuring out how to deal with them.

Good luck! Have fun!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#20 of 20 Old 02-01-2003, 09:51 PM

Hannah was born 5- 98 at home, 11 pounds, 15 1/2 inch head. very amazing

Rebecca due with number three on Friday

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page