Bathtubs for Waterbirth--logistics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-12-2005, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first hb/wb we used a small fishy pool. Our bathtub was simply too small, and the bathroom itself was not arranged where the MW could help me even if the tub had been larger.

I loved the fishy pool. It was just on the verge of being too big for one person (I had no desire to have anyone else in there with me). And it had an inflatable floor which was very comfy. Only problem was that the sides weren't super sturdy---I could lean against them, but we sloshed some water a few times when the MW tried to lean against them to support me.

Anyway, since dd's birth, we have moved into a new home--one of the big selling points (for me!) is that we have a very spacious master bath, with a nice, large, oval garden tub. My first thought when we toured the home was "Yeah, I could birth a baby in there!"

But I'm starting to have a few questions....it is not quite as deep as the fishy pool, but I think it will be okay. We can manage, at any rate, and it will be much easier to add hot water, not to mention clean-up! Dh is excited about that part, LOL!

My two biggest concerns are: First, the bottom of the tub is not AT ALL cushy. And the sides are slanted enough that I'm not sure I'll be able to get in a good squat, KWIM? I keep taking baths in there and trying to visualize, and I'm just not sure how it's all gonna work. 2nd issue is the height of the tub wall. Even though the tub isn't as deep as the fishy pool was, it is rather difficult to get in and out of. At this point in pregnancy, I have to get dh to give me a hand getting out, just in case. In labor, that concerns me. I'm not sure if a step stool would be safe, and I'm not sure what else to try.

Any advice? The fishy pool is not an option this time....it didn't survive our new, sharp-toothed puppy! And there's really not enough time to order a new one at this point....I should have done so several months ago, but I kept trying to convince myself that it was silly when that big bathtub is sitting right there!

Is there any way to make the tub more comfortable? Maybe a cushy, inflatable bathmat that would suction to the bottom? Anyone seen something like that? What about squatting--do you think the slanted angle is going to cause problems?

I'm just a bit worried that all these "issues" are going to make me feel less free to move around, get in and out as I wish, etc. Like once I'm in the tub, I'll feel like I have to stay there because it's too much trouble to get out (and vice versa), KWIM?

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-12-2005, 06:58 PM

I am planning a home water birth in our garden tub. DH suggested filling a kiddie size raft with water to set in the bottom of the tub for cushioning. as for the getting out part, i am hoping everyone can help get me in and out as needed

Jen

Homeschooling mom to A 14, P 12, S 7, L 5 and new baby S.

#3 of 10 Old 12-13-2005, 02:47 PM

I'm planning on using my garden tub for my homebirth (if I feel like it - or may use the bed). I was wondering about getting one of those foamy exercise mats to put in the bottom of the tub. I would think to sit on something that was inflated may cause it to leak or pop.

I am also worried that it isn't that deep.

My biggest worry for me though is I can barely fill my tub without running out of hot water (it is a rectangle shape and two people could easily fit side by side). So I wish I could find something to keep the water heated. Not sure if by the time the water is cold if the hot water heater would have made enough to refill.

~Tracy
Due mid Jan

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#4 of 10 Old 12-13-2005, 03:09 PM

Not sure if this link is allowed or not:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1915426&RN=182

Otherwise, go to the Bed, Bath and Beyond web site and look at their products for bath - tub/shower accessories. There is a vinyl padded bath mat for 12.99 that looks like it could be helpful. I may get that. It is cheaper than those exercise mats.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#5 of 10 Old 12-13-2005, 03:39 PM

One of the biggest problems with many bathtubs is that they aren't deep enough to take the weight off of you, which is one of the great beneifts of water birth. I believe you need at least 24" of depth to be successful in that respect. If your tub is deep enough, great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama
I'm planning on using my garden tub for my homebirth (if I feel like it - or may use the bed). I was wondering about getting one of those foamy exercise mats to put in the bottom of the tub.
I would probably get irritated at keeping it submerged. I would almost guarantee that thing would try to float the whole time.

Quote:
My biggest worry for me though is I can barely fill my tub without running out of hot water (it is a rectangle shape and two people could easily fit side by side). So I wish I could find something to keep the water heated. Not sure if by the time the water is cold if the hot water heater would have made enough to refill.
There's an easy solution to help you here. Turn the temperature of your hot water up really hot, just for the birth. With hotter water, you can run it more diluted, giving you 'more' hot water for the size of your tank. Just be careful to let everyone know it's so high so that they don't scald themselves! We cranked ours up to 145 or so and never ran out, even though we were filling a kiddie pool!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#6 of 10 Old 12-13-2005, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, Ladies! I felt sure I was not the only one in my situation!

Thanks for that link, Wugmama. That looks similar to a bathmat my MIL has. It's not as cushy as I had invisioned, but it just might be enough. Certainly better than nothing, LOL! I'm pretty sure that anything I use will have to be able to suction-cup to the bottom. Otherwise, I would get frustrated with it either floating or shifting, etc. My sister suggested just putting towels on the bottom, but that would be such a pain, IMO....keeping them straight, etc.

I know it's a small thing (in the grander scheme) to fret about, but I have a bad knee to begin with, and I know I couldn't have knelt as much as I did during dd's birth were it not for the inflated bottom of the fishy pool.

The hot water aspect doesn't bother me at all, as I know we can get creative in spite of our water heater. Besides turning up the thermostat, you can also boil extra water in a stock pot to add to the tub as it cools. Dh has a 5 gallon turkey fryer that we could fill with water, and I'm pretty sure that would be plenty, LOL!

jmom713, welcome! What sort of kiddie raft are you talking about? Like one intended for use in a swimming pool? Not sure how you'd keep something like that submerged, either.....maybe I'm just not picturing the right thing.

I don't think the depth will be an issue. It is perhaps not ideal, but I'm pretty short anyway. The depth of the fishy pool is only 23", and of course you can't completely fill it. It was perfect for me--the water covered my belly when I sat on my bum to relax. When I was more upright, it wasn't an issue.

I saw the La Bassine birthing pool mentioned on another thread, and I really like the looks of it! Since we intend to (hopefully) have more children in the future, I may seriously look at one of them next time! It seems a very reasonable price to me, and we'd treat it carefully. We could probably even lend or rent it out, and resell it when we were totally finished having children! http://www.madeinwater.co.uk/pool.html0

Anyway, I'm gonna head to the BB&B store and see if I can find that mat. It might be just enough cushion that I can stop fretting, LOL! And the price is certainly right!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#7 of 10 Old 12-13-2005, 06:20 PM

My middle dd was born in our tub. It isnt wasnt one of those modern shallow useless ones but it isnt one of those deep claw foot one either. Somewhere inbetween

Anyway it work and was very comfy. Love the clean up, just pull the drain use the shower head wand thingy to clean up

Only thing was I so liked the tub after the birth I didnt want to get out and ended up hurting my tail bone. Should have sat on a towel or some such comfy thing.
#8 of 10 Old 02-14-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama
Not sure if this link is allowed or not:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1915426&RN=182
Just FYI, I have had one of these mats. When standing or sitting on it, you can feel where all of the suction cups are attached (and I only weigh 100lbs). DD never complained about it (although she was under 40lbs) but when we got a new acrylic tub that wasn't as slippery, I threw out the mat.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#9 of 10 Old 02-14-2006, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for cushioning, you could buy a head cusion (some have suction cups) and suction it to the floor for your butt. Otherwise, could you buy some suction cups and rig something up that is super soft? A couple inches of foam mat, you could rig it up with weights on the sides to keep it down or something.

good luck!
Sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#10 of 10 Old 02-14-2006, 06:32 PM

She Bear-thanks! ha, 2 months too late I try to read and post when i can. As for the kiddie raft, DH was thinking about filling it with water so it would stay sunk at bottom of the tub, but would be squishy, better than sitting on the hard tub bottom. we'll have to see how it goes!

Jen

Homeschooling mom to A 14, P 12, S 7, L 5 and new baby S.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page