Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#32 of 42 Old 11-23-2002, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I wouldn't ban you.

You discussed the use and knew the possible consequences of using the drug. Fully informed as you could possibly be in that difficult situation.

My problem w/ any drug is that not everyone uses their head.

I can hear it now...
..."you take a chance every time you cross the street."

When you cross the street, you at least look one way and then the other and then decide to cross.

You do not cross the street blind-folded.

Twenty years ago my hb doctor used the amniotic sac puncturer. I did not like it but I understood why he used it.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#33 of 42 Old 11-23-2002, 07:27 PM

I too have heard of many great outcomes from the use of cytotec. I geuss every circumstance is different. I did think that most uterine ruptures happened when there was a previous cesarean scar. ANyone heard more of this?
#34 of 42 Old 11-23-2002, 09:52 PM

I am so annoyed this is happening. Cytotec is an ulcer drug. One can always turn off or turn down IV Pitocin. I was overseeing an induction for a mom who had lost her baby at 18 weeks. the OB was using cytotec, I raised every objection I could think of, his answer was to order vital signs every 30 minutes while she was in labor! I said that I had heard that it could cause uterine rupture in women who'd had c-sections, he said yes, but she's not term, but couldn't tell me for sure if this made a difference. I am on his sh*t list now let me tell you! The patient did fine medically. My parting shot was that I hoped they were not using this on term pts...he replied not yet!!!!
#35 of 42 Old 11-24-2002, 07:59 PM

Cytotec is for something else, and was reccommended that it NOT be given during pregnancy, as it causes uterine contractions.

It is not safe. Urge every woman you know to REFUSE this drug if a doctor or midwife suggests it.

Here's a good article: http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...ogyinbirth.asp
#36 of 42 Old 11-25-2002, 10:56 AM

I posted an excellent article on this topic in the midwife/doula forum...but didnt get much of a response..I guess I should have tried a different forum...heres the article I posted.

http://cbc.ca/national/news/forcedlabour/
#37 of 42 Old 11-25-2002, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WriterMama

I knew the risks of cytotec and my mw reiterated them to me. We made the decision together. Normally hospitals give dosages of 50 to 100 mcg. My mw gave me 8 mcg and inserted it vaginally. An hour later, my contrax began and established a normal pattern.
I wonder how well informed you really were. A dose of 8 mcg is *impossible*. I am an RN who is authorized by my hospital to cut and insert cytotec. The drug only comes in 100 mcg tablets. It must be cut into quarters to give a 25 mcg dose - if you cut it any smaller the tablet crumbles (it is a tiny tablet to begin with). Just getting it cut into quarters can be a challange. ACOG in their now infamous cytotec rebutal recommended a 25 mcg dose inserted vaginally (b/c theoretically it can be removed - it takes quite a while to disolve - while orally it can't) and nothing higher. Hospitals in my region won't insert any higher dosage, though I know some docs in other places will. A doc who inserts a higher doseage and has a bad outcome will have absolutely *nothing* to save his behind, b/c the ACOG recommendation is the only thing that can be cited as standard of practice!

After all this is said and done, as mentioned before, you really don't know what doseage you are getting since it isn't a standardized dose.

I'm glad it worked out for you. But personally, working with the stuff scares me to death - and we are very conservative with it.
#38 of 42 Old 11-25-2002, 04:04 PM

It is terrible to read about these outcomes. I will add this article to my Cytotec files.

I have had contact with a sweet mom online, whose unscarred uterus ruptured during a cytotec induced labor. She has been very outspoken about the risks, and others who have had negative experiences also tend to be quite forthright about it. The trouble lies in getting the damage to be recorded as a result of cytotec, the horrible outcomes are easy to write off as a result of some other cause- such as multiparity, age, etc.

Sad.

Personally, I hate to hear of midwives who use this product, it just doesn't really fit the call. There are too many other options, and if they don't produce the needed result, then it isn't time, or take the situation to a hospital. Homebirth is about normal birth, if you have to give cytotec it just isn't normal anymore.

It is pretty easy to be relaxed about a particular protocol, or drug, until you see it have a bad outcome, or survive a bad outcome personally. Why take the chance?

The Lord bless you,
Zoie
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Godsbabycatchers
Aspiring Midwives Study Group
#39 of 42 Old 11-26-2002, 11:09 AM

#40 of 42 Old 12-04-2002, 02:00 AM

No one should take it. I had it with my first, it had been misrepresented to us, and it was violent. It also caused seizures in my daughter the first week of life.
#41 of 42 Old 12-04-2002, 03:34 AM

Midwifery Today's most recent issue deals with this issue in a sense - it's about obstetrical intervention in general and points out that many midwives are getting in the habit of "managing" birth, just like doctors, instead of just "being there" as a midwife ideally should. It's an enlightening discussion. Go to www.midwiferytoday.com and scroll down to the purple box in the middle which reads "From the Editor: Out of the Pot, Into the Fire, by Jan Tritten." And, of course, the other articles are great too!

I have also heard very negative things about Cytotec. For goodness sake, the label warns that pregnant women should never take it because it can induce miscarriage! But it's true - once a drug is approved by the FDA for a specific use, a doctor can prescribe it for any use.
#42 of 42 Old 02-24-2003, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hawleyclan
- Of under 5000 women given cytotec in studies, 25 had ruptures, 2 maternal deaths, 15 infant deaths, and 8-10 hysterectomies.
Interesting - this works out to .5% uterine rupture, the same rate as uninduced VBAC. Interesting b/c those same numbers are being used by OB's to argue that VBAC is dangerous and cytotec safe. However, many here would argue the exact opposite!

I do believe the rate of traumatic rupture (resulting in hysterectomies and infant death) is higher with cytotec. Also, maternal deaths are extremely rare with VBAC ruptures.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page