Cytotec at homebirths - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 01-10-2002, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I ended up with Cytotec at my homebirth. Has anyone else had this experience?
#2 of 42 Old 01-11-2002, 03:45 PM

That did not happen to me, but I was wondering about your experience. I have heard very bad things abot Cytotec, and wondered how it went with you. From what I have read, Cytotec is dangerous in a hospital, much less at home. Please fill us in on your birth.

Thanks

Karen
#3 of 42 Old 01-11-2002, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

You can read about my birth at www.birthlove.com under "Take This Pill and Have Your Baby in the Morning."

For the longest time, I thought my homebirth was a "good" one because I thought I had to go through what I did to avoid a cesarean.

Cytotec has NO place in a homebirth.
#4 of 42 Old 01-11-2002, 08:06 PM

I am just so shocked that a midwife would attempt such a dangerous intervention at home. I've heard of midwives using vacuum extractors at homebirths too. Crazy.

Have you spoken with her since the birth and confronted her with what you now know to be the facts about Cytotec?
#5 of 42 Old 01-12-2002, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Have you spoken with her since the birth and confronted her with what you now know to be the facts about Cytotec?

Oh yes, I wrote an email sharing what I learned about Cytotec, sent studies, sent an email expressing my feelings about the birth, etc.
The main midwife did not bother to email me back. Instead, the partner wrote back and basically said that I would have had a cesarean if it were not for them and that I needed to quit second guessing and "lighten up."
#6 of 42 Old 01-12-2002, 05:34 PM

Karen,

Thank goodness nothing horrific happened. It well could have, as you know. I read your story. Those midwives should be ashamed of themselves. Mine wouldn't even hear of using Castor Oil to start labor. She said, "It will happen when it is supposed to and not before. If you use something (to start labor) before it is supposed to happen you will just make yourself sick." She was so right. By all the interventions that you received, it sounds like you were not ready. How dare they act as if you are uptight! They are dangerous. Thank you for sharing your info. I am still of the opinion that Cytotec shouldn't be used for anything but ulcers.

Karen
#7 of 42 Old 01-12-2002, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing your info. I am still of the opinion that Cytotec shouldn't be used for anything but ulcers.

Oh yeah-- I feel exactly the same way!
#8 of 42 Old 01-12-2002, 07:55 PM

Hey, just shows that you can't trust EVERY midwife. A well-respected midwife in my area has totally gone off the deep end...I know that she used Cytotec on a friend who was attempting a home birth B+VBAC! (Gave her the pill and sent her home...Talk about irresponsible!
Her reply to anyone bringing up the risks: yeah, I've heard about those studies, but I've never had a problem...
#9 of 42 Old 01-13-2002, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

That really saddens me when I hear stories like that. My biggest fear is that if well know midwives use it, other newere midwives will think it's perfectly ok.
#10 of 42 Old 01-23-2002, 09:06 PM

I was so horrified to hear of a homebirth midwife using cytotec. As a homebirth midwife, I can tell you that that is pretty much cause for liscence suspension, and a lawsuit. Cytotec is EXTREMLY DANGEROUS and has caused uterine ruptures. The FDA has not approved of this drug for labor. The whole idea of using drugs to induce labor is against everything homebirth midwives believe in! Fire that midwife!!! :mad:
#11 of 42 Old 01-24-2002, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

The whole idea of using drugs to induce labor is against everything homebirth midwives believe in! Fire that midwife!!!

I believe the same thing-- that using Cytotec is clearly not midwifery. You can bet that I won't be going near this midwife ever again and hopefully others will stay far away too.
#12 of 42 Old 02-04-2002, 01:57 AM

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Cytotec!! AGH!!! That is the scariest drug I have ever encountered. Within 10 minutes of ingesting that horrid drug, I had a 6 minute contraction and watched my baby's blood pressure plummet.

Never ever again. My doula had told me that they call those pills "blasting caps." I trusted my doctor and took it anyway.
#13 of 42 Old 02-04-2002, 07:03 PM

I was also induced by a homebirth midwife with cytotec. My story can be read here http://www.birthlove.com/pages/stories/iain.html It of course ended in a hospital tranfer. Note that I was lied to about what I had been given and that we were told not to tell the hospital staff that I had been induced. At the time we thought that it was just because the hospital frowned upon homebirths, but now I know the real reason why. My midwife who did have rights at the hospital left to attend another birth without telling us. I was supposed to be in the care of the doctors who had no idea that I had been induced with cytotec. At one point they did try to give me pitocin on top of that. Thankfully we said no, but they were happy that we were refusing. Adding pit to the cytotec very well may have killed one of both of us. We were very lucky that the cytotec didn't do that on it's own. It was a full year before I learned what I had been induced with. That whole time I thought that there was something seriously wrong with my body. Why else would I have been having 15 minute contractions?? When I called for my records everything magically disappeared. I got all of my pre-natal info and my post-natal check-ups, but everything having to do with my induction, labor and delievery was missing. Trust no one completely...
#14 of 42 Old 02-04-2002, 07:06 PM

Note: the above should say that they were not happy that I refused the pit.
#15 of 42 Old 02-04-2002, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

When I called for my records everything magically disappeared. I got all of my pre-natal info and my post-natal check-ups, but everything having to do with my induction, labor and delievery was missing. Trust no one completely...

{{{{Melody}}}}} I'm sorry you went through this. Thank you for sharing your story. Did you ever confront your midwife about the Cytotec and your feelings?
#16 of 42 Old 02-07-2002, 08:46 PM

I was recently at an ob/gyn list and I couldn't believe my eyes, they were all talking about how SAFE cytotec is, and ACOG is lobbying hard to get the FDA to approve it for labor.
#17 of 42 Old 02-09-2002, 12:50 PM

Hi! I suspect that they want to get it approved because if they don't there are going to be some REALLY UGLY lawsuits from parents who have had their trust abused, and their bodies and babies endangered... This could turn out to be the OB/GYN version of the Phen-Phen (sp?) thing... Lawyers on every corner soliciting Cytotec victims for a tidal wave of new suits... If I were needing to cover my rear what better way?!

Just makes me steaming mad, no regard for the mothers or babies... !!! We have become an industry... sign them in, get the baby out (however is quickest, and most costly), and get them out the door... Lord help us... !!

My SIL had a horrible birth, (not due to cytotec, due to Psychodoc...), and a perfect case for litigation- including lots of witnesses and an injured baby- but I understand why she just wanted to put it behind her and move on... new family, new baby, it is hard enough without court costs and hassles... but if a lawyer had offered his services with a no payment unless you win clause I think she would have stepped up to the plate... And that IS what would happen if Cytotec is publicly outlawed for induction, LOTS of malpractice lawyers fishing for Cytotec moms and babies... Would serve them right...

Okay, I'm off my soapbox... what a vent...

The Lord bless you all,
Zoie
#18 of 42 Old 11-16-2002, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Please everyone be very careful of anything anyone gives you to take when you are pregnant; you and your dear family will live with the results for the rest of your lives. The doctors and midwives move on.

Cytotec is not approved for this use by the FDA and anyone who gives it to you should be reported to the proper authorities.
#19 of 42 Old 11-16-2002, 12:17 PM

After any birth, always get your records immediately! Home, birthcenter, hospital, taxi, anywhere. You never know when you will need them.
#20 of 42 Old 11-16-2002, 12:30 PM

Remember...

There are no, repeat NO, drugs approved for use in pregnancy and labor by the FDA. Copious caveats are issued by the FDA to the administrating physician warning of side effects which the administrating physician never shares with you.

There is nothing new about this.

In the 1940-1970s, doctors gave women a "vitamin pill" to prevent miscarriage. Some were given vitamin pills and others were given Diethylstilbesterol, DES, to prevent miscarriage. Later studies showed that it simply did not work as it was supposed to. The children of these women developed reproductive abnormalities which showed up in adolescence sometimes proving to be cancerous. Many were sterile.

You do not hear much about it today, b/c they are dead or simply came to terms w/ their condition. MOst are "professional patients" who keep their condition monitored. I have other things I like to use my time for other than waiting around a doctor's office to be seen all of the time.

If they were lucky enough to have children, their children often had the same reproductive abnormalities, and were subjected to the same monitoring. Doctors must find this very interesting.

But please learn from this mistake. These people live w/some doctor's mistake which was made before they were born. You also will live w/ some professional's mistake, and they will retire and move away while you sort out the rest of your life.
#21 of 42 Old 11-16-2002, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

But please learn from this mistake. These people live w/some doctor's mistake which was made before they were born. You also will live w/ some professional's mistake, and they will retire and move away while you sort out the rest of your life.

Believe me, I have learned from this mistake. I have contacted MANA and NARM about this midwife.

Karen
#22 of 42 Old 11-16-2002, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barefooter
You can read about my birth at www.birthlove.com under "Take This Pill and Have Your Baby in the Morning."
Somewhat OT T

aparently you have to be a member to do a search on this site. I haven't decided if I want to join that site, yet. I couldn't find your story. I'm sorry for your experience and I agree that cytotec has no place at hb. i can't imagine using any type of labor excellerant @home, including brushing the membranes, but to each their own.
#23 of 42 Old 11-17-2002, 02:02 AM

It's not true that no drug is approved for use during pregnancy: Pitocin is approved for use to induce labor in pregnant women, but not approved for ELECTIVE induction and now cytotec is listed as an approved labor induction medication as well, scary as that fact is.

My teaching MW's backup OB gave her the option the other day of inducing a patient with cytotec and allowing her to return to the birth center to labor and give birth. She, of course, refused and the client was admitted to the hospital and induced with pitocin b/c her placenta was disentigrating. A MW who would use cytotec w/o the proper means to deal with the consequences of such a dangerous drug is indeed SCARY.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#24 of 42 Old 11-17-2002, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

aparently you have to be a member to do a search on this site. I haven't decided if I want to join that site, yet. I couldn't find your story. I'm sorry for your experience and I agree that cytotec has no place at hb. i can't imagine using any type of labor excellerant @home, including brushing the membranes, but to each their own.

I have another article posted at Epinions that is similiar:

http://www.epinions.com/content_2044895364

Karen
#25 of 42 Old 11-17-2002, 04:31 PM

Thanks Karen!
#26 of 42 Old 11-17-2002, 05:33 PM

To Charmie981

Be advised that I said that these drugs are not approved for use in pregnancy and delivery and that the doctor does NOT share the prescribing information w/ the patient when he does use the drug for pregnancy and delivery.

My sister was given cytotec in 1991. It was NOT approved then and it was used anyway in a government hospital. She nearly died, bleeding, as did her son, who ended up at Bethesda, receiving many blood transfusions.

I know doctors give many drugs. Always ask to read the prescibing information; information which the drug companies share w/ the doctors and who do not usually share the information w/ the patient, who lives w/ the results.
#27 of 42 Old 11-18-2002, 03:23 PM

Hi! or should that be ... I was reorganizing my notes from a midiwfery conference earlier this year, and I ran across some interesting information that Ina May Gaskin shared on the subject of induction...

- In the last 10-15 years, the rate of induced labor has gone from 9-12% all the way to 40+%.

- Ruptures (uterine) have occurred with ALL FORMS of hospital induction.

- Physicians are allowed to prescribe medications for off-label use at their discretion.

- Breaking tablets (as in Cytotec doses), is not a safe form of reducing dose since the distribution of the active ingredient in tablets is not uniform, a quarter of a tablet may actually have most of the active ingredient in it and be equivalent to a full dose...

- Cytotec studies are too different, the variables are too many, as to: dosage used, time frames, whether administration was oral/rectal/vaginal, whether placed in the cervix or behind, etc.

- Of under 5000 women given cytotec in studies, 25 had ruptures, 2 maternal deaths, 15 infant deaths, and 8-10 hysterectomies.

- Uterine rupture and artery damage have occurred with Cytotec use. Even 1/4 of a tablet has had horrible results. Death and hysterectomy have occurred, even 13-30 hours after vaginal tablets were given. Hyperstimulation of the uterus can not be regulated with cytotec (unlike pitocin which can be turned off or down).

- There is increased risk of postpartum hemorrhage and amniotic fluid embolism.

I could not feel safe using this product, even if a dosage system could be agreed on, I do not like the fact that it can not be regulated if the mother does have an intense reaction. There is no antidote that can be given to counteract or stop the effect of the drug- you just have to ride it out and hope for the best.

That said- there is not a form of medical induction out there that is 100% safe, and all have caused uterine rupture. You just have to make an educated choice if you are in a position of being induced.

Even the "natural" forms of induction can have risks attached. I would go for least invasive and medical first, like sex- nipple stimulation- Evening primrose oil orally and vaginally... then it would be a toss up between a labor stimulating tincture or castor oil (I would not use the full recommended dose though. I would even consider using a different laxative oil such as flaxseed oil...) I'm really not fond of any form of induction, I've been on pitocin- not fun- and we used nipple stimulation to start another of my labors and it was really intense too. Castor oil induction, while close friends have used it with success, they were not happy with the results overall- labors were too fast and hard, some meconium staining...

Sometimes you have to pick out of the options what you can feel most confident with.

The Lord bless you,
Zoie
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Godsbabycatchers
#28 of 42 Old 11-18-2002, 07:33 PM

It is horrible that you had to go through that. So many women are having uterine ruptures from it. Those will be very good questions to ask future midwifes. My midwife doesn't carry oxygen or pit. That was the decision that I made, to go with her. She trusts in birth completely. I just wanted to tell you also that you can have a wonderful homebirth, please don't let that horrible midwife speak for the whole wonderful midwifery community. I am glad that you are calling those places to tell them about her. Who knows how many people she might have done that too.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#29 of 42 Old 11-19-2002, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I am glad that you are calling those places to tell them about her. Who knows how many people she might have done that too.

Sadly, I know of several others who have been subjected to Cytotec from this midwife. It's hard to stop someone who is getting referrals from a VBAC author and The Michigan Midwives Association.

Karen
#30 of 42 Old 11-22-2002, 03:44 AM

Wow I am so shocked at the insensativity of these midwives! Especially mamamels' who actually left her during her labor in the hospital without telling her?! That is just unbelievable and a disgrace to the art of midwifery Please remember that their are a majority of midwives who would never in a million years do that to a client! It makes me so mad and sad that this happened to you! I think that I would have been more spiteful after she left without telling and would have told the medical staff the whole picture. It is one thing to lie about the time of rupture of membranes but to lie and leave you in a dangerous position in a hospital where they wanted to give you pitocin because they didn't know the full story is beyond irresponsible! I am so glad that you knew enough to say no. Would she have left you to go to another birth if you were still at home laboring? I think not she chickened out and abandoned you. I hope that you have or will let her have it some day in writing or a visit to her!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page