Hi! I'm new and considering a homebirth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-22-2003, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never thought I would consider a homebirth, but here I am thinking about it. I have one ds who is 17 months old who was delivered by a midwife in a hospital and there were some things about the birth that I was just not happy about. The biggest thing is that even though we had a birth plan a lot of it was ignored due to "hospital procedures." I did most of the labor at home and did so well until we got to the hospital. He ended up being a forceps delivery.

We are TTC #2 and I have been interviewing doulas. One of the doulas suggested homebirth and I am really interested. I don't dare say anything to friends and family around me. They are shocked enough that I am still nursing my 17 month old.

I am going to start checking out this forum, but could anyone tell me how to start this process. I am in the Chicago area and the Homefirst practice was mentioned to me. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I am going to an open house in a couple of weeks to meet the staff. I would love to talk to someone that has used them. Any other suggestions?
#2 of 8 Old 01-23-2003, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just want to support you decision about having a homebirth. There is nothing like delivering in you r own home, b/c a woman is the QUEEN in her own home. In a hospital, you are a patient. There is a difference.

I have heard nothing but wonderful thing about HOMEFIRST. they have been around for years.

Read these boards for help w/ your toddler during your pregnancy as a nursling and as a big sib.

Re: your hospital experience - have you ever had a pet cat/dog labor? The animal finds a comfortable place where it feels safe and labors away. If the animal is moved or feels threatened in any way, labor stops cold or is protracted and then interventions are needed.

You labored well at home, then moved into a noisy hospital where you may not have been as comfortable as you were at home. Just a guess of course.

Then there are women who feel safer at the hospital.

It is a head trip.
#3 of 8 Old 01-23-2003, 02:13 AM

Homebirth is Great! I had my ds and dd at home. I am planning on having another one at home this May. Two great resource books for homebirth are Homebirth and Birth at Home by Sheila Kitzinger. Check out midwiferytoday.com for more midwifes in your area and for articles pertaining to homebirth.
Hope this helps.
#4 of 8 Old 01-23-2003, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Oooh, I just found the thread on Homefirst...

....Scurrying to read
#5 of 8 Old 01-23-2003, 03:13 AM

Well this is the place to be!

I started by looking up midwifery in the phone book and interviewing as many midwives as I could get my hands on. The one I finally chose was recommended to me by an LLL leader; I knew she was the right one for me when everything she said was exactly what I already thought, and when she agreed that I should be the one to define her role in the labor.

The book I'd most recommend for someone just started the process is Birthing From Within.

And there are always birth stories on the internet, and testimonials for inspiration -- http://home.earthlink.net/~eaglefalc...irthoprah.html

Have fun, and congratulations on your choice!
#6 of 8 Old 01-24-2003, 11:09 PM

hi heps~
just wanted to support you in looking @ homebirth as an option. I am planning to birth my 1st baby @ home this Spring.

I can really relate to not talking to your friends/family about it. I do have my sister in another state who has homebirthed & a supportive (ex-lamaze teacher, ex LD RN) Mom who is all for it, so I am lucky! But other than that, it feels like an uphill battle when you look around for role models or peers who might support you.

Finding MDC was a big blessing for me, bcz it gives me this very real community to be a part of. I often forget now that no one I "know" IRL is doing this. It really helps me to feel secure & supported to know that I am not alone.
blessings, Maria
#7 of 8 Old 01-25-2003, 01:07 AM

Congrats on your planned homebirth!

We'll be having our first homebirth this Spring as well... I'm totally looking forward to it.

Welcome!
#8 of 8 Old 01-25-2003, 08:12 PM

I'm looking forward to my first homebirth this summer!

A wonderful book to read about homebirth, midwifery, and natural birth in general is Peggy Vincent's, The Baby Catcher.

Quite the page-turner! Very excellent story--and I think the best part about the book is that the reader comes away from it feeling that homebirth is a 'normal' choice.

We in the USA concider hospital births to be 'normal,' because that's what most people do (most people in the USA go to McDonald's & formula feed their kids, but does that mean it's 'normal'? Or is it just COMMON?)

After reading this book, the fringe concept of 'homebirth' is normalized...it really made the idea of homebirth normal in my mind.

Continue along your exploration of birthing options; I'd say it took me almost a year to be 100% certain I wanted to birth at home. (BTW, meeting & talking w/ doulas was my first glimpse into the gee, maybe just do it at home concept!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page