Silent labor after stillbirth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-28-2003, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I want to birth my fifth child without induction/lots of intervention.
I'm a Momma due March 28. . .my first child, Anya was a full-term (nine days overdue) stillbirth. We found out she was dead at the triage unit of the hospital birth wing. . .no heartbeat. I had labored at home like I was supposted to, etc. My midwives were great at the hospital, but I've elected to go with an ob who is "good with a knife" for my other children. . .(I miscarried Chris at eight weeks right before Anya would have been one year old). Liam was induced ten days before a meticulously calculated due date (last period, three ultrasounds, etc). . .he was induced with pitocin and I didn't feel contractions until my water was forcibly broken in the c-section operating room (his head had not engaged and there was the possibility of cord prolapse). Then I had contractions for two hours which I finally did feel, I dialated five centimeters in forty-five minutes and went into transition which everyone (including myself) thought was emotional anxiety. . .I agreed to pseudo-morphine, one injection in the leg, one in the arm, I laid back on the bed (as I had birthed Anya) and in one push, he was out.
My dd Brianna was born induced at twelve early due to mysterious pains I had with her which were similar and stronger than the mysterious pains I had with her sister Anya. They were under my lowest right rib and would take my breath away. . .no blood test or other monitoring determined the problem though would show the stress during contractions. . .my dh and I got scared even after two days of monitoring at the hospital and induced. It was beautiful to have her alone with my doula in the bathroom of the birthing suite while the dr was in the hall thinking I'd be longer and the nurse was getting ice chips and a baby cart since we would need it "sometime tonight". It was about an hour and a half after they broke her water.

Now, another little boy is on the way and I'd like to "go natural" which for me is in the hospital with no meds or interventions. . .a friend's midwife stated to her that after a stillbirth, the body changes its birth style. . .does anyone have any info on this. . .Anya (my first) was classic in that there was pain while contractions organized and they broke her water after I had an epidural (good suggestion from midwives, to birth naturally, but have some pain help since the emotional load was tremedous, Anya couldn't help like most kids do, and we had decisions to make most moms don't worry about). . .Liam and Bri had no pain associated with them until my waters were broken with that crotch hook thingy. . .All my children had their water broken at the hospital. . .so I'm concerned I'll be in labor with this March guy and not feel the contractions since I don't feel them until my water breaks (regardless of the strength shown on the monitor. . .) Does anyone have info on this? Sometimes I wonder if I wasn't in labor with Anya, didn't know it, and she got too tired (my mucous plug came out two days before, I had a quarter size amount of blood, but an ultrasound showed her fine, but no movement. . .an 8 on the Biophysical profile).
#2 of 3 Old 01-28-2003, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never heard that stillbirth changes the way the body births, and honestly I cannot think of any reason why that would be.

It's very possible, given your earlier patterns of birth, that you won't feel the contractions in early labor - I guess I'm wondering why you are concerned about this and specifically what kind of information do you want about it? If it has to do with how it will be dealt with at the hospital, or how to know when to go the hospital, you might want to try posting in the general "I'm Pregnant" forum -- you will probably get more responses there.
#3 of 3 Old 01-28-2003, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know anything about if or how a stillbirth might change the waya woman labors. Maybe you could get that midwifes name from your friend and make an appt to discuss it with her. If I were you I would certainly be curious.

I wonder if between you and your MW you couldn't work out a good way for you to notice earlier that you are in labor. Pain from contractions isn't the only sign. Perhaps if you can reflect on your past experiences and review your records from earlier births you can find some hallmarks of labor in YOUR body since you are apparently built to move thru labor quite efficiently without much discomfort. Once you knew you were in labor could you or your DH feel the contractions if you placed a hand on your uterus? Heck, if nothing else maybe you could rent an external monitor (or would I simple doptone do?) and monitor yourself at home for ten minutes every two or three hours once you start to get close. At the very least it would be a less anxious situation than hanging around a hospital for 48 hours holding your breathe!

I am terribly sorry you have had such a difficult and confusing time with your previous births, and I am sorry beyond words for your losses. I can certainly see why you would want to reclaim your labor but are cautious about how to procede. I wish you all the best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page