need some uc info... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-31-2003, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, we are planning an unassisted birth for our next, which is due late may/early june. i need to narrow down the info to research. i have found a ton of websites/books on here and in the archives, but i'm afraid it's a bit overwhelming and i know i won't have time to read that much! i really need to know about rh factor, i am rh- and had rhogam without knowing anything about it when pregnant and after birth with ds. i would prefer not to have it again, but my records from his birth say that he is rh+. i also tested + for group b strep. i've read that it can change, so should i just not worry about it?? we are planning a lotus birth, if that helps at all. those are my only 2 concerns. dh and i are really comfortable and excited about having this baby at home with only our little family present. ds was born at a birth center with a midwife, but it was not at all what we were hoping for so this time we are striving for the perfect birth. thank you so much for any help!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-01-2003, 04:16 AM

i don't know about the rh factor, other than i know that people who have that issue sometimes get the shot/have the shot at the birth (think I read that on mango mama's site).

I do have experience w/beta strep. i was positive when pregnant w/our first child--dd--(ended up testing negative right before the birth, after working w/homeopathics/body work) anyway, w/our second (our freebirth) I simply didn't worry about it. I felt that it wasn't really a problem to begin w/ and as you know, can change/come and go. It's really up to you what you want to "do" about it. I chose to work on my own image of my vagina/body as being clean and not "infected" KWIM? That was the message I personally got from working through our "infection" w/dd's pregnancy. I carried that into ds' and wasn't too worried about beta strep. (On the other hand, I did worry about other things....don't want to seem like I was superconfident! )

It's up to you what you want to do, but wishing you good luck on your freebirth/lotusbirth journey. DS's birth and pregnancy was one of the most spiritually intense times of my life!! Just remember to believe in yourself and listen carefully to your body.
#3 of 4 Old 02-02-2003, 07:37 PM

Hi!
I haven't had personal experiences with Rh or GBS but I've known a lot of women online who have, and went on to have wonderful UC's. I know them through yahoo groups Cbirth. Have you been there? If not join up and do a search in the archives, there is a wealth of information there. And after a (mandatory)two week lurking period you can ask too. Best wishes on your journey!!!
#4 of 4 Old 02-03-2003, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies! i ordered some books and i think once i start reading more i'll only be more confident. i've signed up on the cbirth thing, but haven't had too much time to get on there yet. i'm more concerned about the rh- than the gbs. i ordered anti-d in midwifery, i heard it was supposed to really cover it. we are focusing more on having a relaxing birthing environment rather than on the what ifs, i would never sleep at night if that was what i focused on. i read on here or somewhere that someone said that unassisted is really about taking responsiblility for what happens, that you are still responsible with a midwife/doctor or whoever, but you put more of the responsibility on them rather than yourself. i really like that perspective, it's so true. there were a ton of things that we would have done differently with ds's pregnancy/birth if we wouldn't have just assumed that what people told us was what we should do. thanks for your input, i'm sure i'll be asking more questions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page