seeking info on home birth in Mississippi or Alabama - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2006, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all - I have a good friend who is 14 weeks pg and trying to determine what her options are for her birth. She has had three hospital births (with epidurals) but is very interested in a natural birth this time, and possibly a home birth. She lives in Mobile, AL but will be moving soon to Pascagoula, Mississippi (about 45 min from Mobile). Does anyone know of any home birth midwives in that area? What is the legal situation for home birth there (I think AL is alegal but I'm not sure...have no idea about Miss)? I told her I'd try to find out some info for her, so any input would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 09:30 PM

I am from MS originally and am actually moving to MS this summer and having a homebirth. I know of a couple of homebirth midwives in the area. I'll pm you!

Also, I was always told homebirth was illegal in MS but that is not true. I think midwives can't get insurance there or something along those lines.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - got the PM and forwarded the website to my friend. According to the MANA website, DEM's ARE legal in Mississippi but not in Alabama. Hopefully my friend can find someone she feels comfortable with in Mississippi!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:07 PM

Midwifery is legal and unregulated at this time in Mississippi and many of us want to keep it that way.
In Southern MS, there are a few midwives practicing. Only 1 has her name out there and an office. Her name is Renata Hillman.
In Middle MS, I know of 1 a Norma Clark.
And in North MS, I really know of no one. I am studying and catch my grandbabies and have taken on a non-family member.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:14 AM

If she stayed in or happened to still be in Mobile she could go right across the line to Pensacola.
There's a Birth Center and homebirth midwife there.

User Tag List