How to plant my placenta from my homebirth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-06-2003, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an amazing homebirth in Nov. and saved my placenta. For Christmas my sister gave us a beautiful lemon tree and pot to have forever in honor of my son. I have read online that planting the placenta in a pot can be bad, but we really wanted to plant in a container so we can take it anywhere we move. The site didn't elaborate on why. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what your experience was. I would love to have any suggestions. I am really excited to finally plant it but I don't want to kill the fruit tree. Thanks for any advise you can give.
#2 of 4 Old 02-11-2003, 10:35 PM

I doubt it would kill your tree, but it might just be bad because it could rot and produce lots of pathogens? Like if you buried your pet in your vegetable garden or something. I bet if you dried it out it would be fine. I read you steam it for a few minutes, slice it thinly, and dry it in a 200 degree oven until it's really dry. Then you could grind it and put it in capsules to consume postpartum, (which is what I plan to do), or, like you said-- plant it!

(D'oh! I just caught that you gave birth in November. Guess you don't need to eat it at this point! )

Good luck. :0)
#3 of 4 Old 02-12-2003, 01:24 AM

W planted our daughters placenta in a pot my husband is nurseryman and he says its fine, its a good idea to get a really big pot so there is a lot to work with! Lily's tree is planted in a 15 gallon pot, actually the story of her tree is neat we got her tree the month she was born jAN. She has a lily magnolia tree the was pretty young it wasnt supposed to flower for the first 5 years and low and behold that spring it was covered with blossoms! We didnt do any thing to the placenta at all! But be sure and dont let that lemon freeze they are infamous for dying after just one freeze!
#4 of 4 Old 02-12-2003, 01:41 AM

we also have our dd's placenta planted beneath a lemon tree in a very large terracotta pot. no rotting probs at all (an no animals trying to dig it up either). we planted it about 2 years ago now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page