Any "Ecstatic Birth" stories out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-16-2003, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After reading the article "Ecstatic Birth: The Hormonal Blueprint of Labor" by Sarah J. Buckley, that was posted on Mothering.com this week, I have been doing a lot of thinking about the birth of my son over a year ago. He was born in a hospital with the assistance of an OB/GYN and it was NOT an ecstatic birth. I've been enlightened in many ways over the last year and DH and I are pro-homebirth for the next baby. Especially, after reading this article and my exposure to "Mothering" mamas.

Here's what I really want to know: If anyone out there that has had an "ecstatic birth" can share their experience with us in regard to how you feel your ecstatic birth has enhanced your child's overall well-being, intelligence, your bond to them, and are they a high need or mellow baby/child? I'm not sure how you would know how if the birth is one of the factors involved in your child's overall health, etc. unless you could go back and NOT have an ecstatic birth, so all this is just speculation, of course. But an interesting question, IMHO. I'm also assuming that "ecstatic birthers" are co-sleeping, breastfeeding, and attachment parenting their children.

Link to article http://www.mothering.com/11-0-0/html...ic-birth.shtml Here are a few excerpts from the article that are related to my wonderings:
"... when these activations do not occur within about 45 minutes of birth, "cut off from his mother's nurturing and with none of the encoded expectancies met, the newborn's adrenals continue to release steroids in the face of maximum fear and abandonment. The infant screams for a short time and then silence falls." The damage caused by separation, Pearce writes, is "massive and past the point of repair." Like Odent, he believes that our current birth practices are psychologically crippling to babies, mothers, and society as a whole, and the evidence in his book Evolution's End: Reclaiming the Potential of Our Intelligence is compelling."

"As for the baby, Many experts believe that through participating in this initiation of his own birth, the fetus may be training himself to secrete his own love hormone.34 Michel Odent speaks passionately about our society's deficits in our capacity to love self and others, and he traces these problems back to the time around birth, particularly to interference with the oxytocin system."

"This study was recently replicated with a US population, with very similar results.41 The authors of the first study suggest an imprinting mechanism, but I wonder whether it may be a matter of ecstasy: if we don't get it at birth, as we expect, we look for it later in life through drugs. Perhaps this also explains the popularity (and the name) of the drug Ecstasy."

Thanks, mamas!
#2 of 9 Old 02-17-2003, 12:37 AM

I read the article and it really inspired me.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#3 of 9 Old 02-17-2003, 12:53 AM

i'm not sure if my birth was "ecstatic" (didn't read whole article) but it was definately AWESOME.
i loved my midwife... she sat in the living room and read a organic gardening magazine and let me have my birth my way type of thing, but she was also there when i felt that i needed her.
she also came to check things out ,but the contractions were not too close together yet so she left and let my husband and i be alone.
when the baby was ready to come out i only had to push about 4-5 times and then she gave the baby to us and again (aftwer the placenta came out) let us be.
#4 of 9 Old 02-18-2003, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe my post was too complicated and the article was too long? I've been enjoying the homebirth forum and reading the birth stories. I read chirobaby's birth story and it was really neat. I think she even made a comment about ecstatic birth on her thread after I posted a comment. I need to go back and read her post again. Thanks for your interest here, Sheacoby and BT.
#5 of 9 Old 02-18-2003, 11:04 PM

Here's my homebirth page:

http://devrock.5u.com/whats_new.html

My daughter never cried once at her birth. She has always been a very good baby. We have never had any problems with our breastfeeding relationship or anything like that. I can't imagine a stronger emotional connection between two people than the one my daughter and I have. She has also never had a single health problem, and I can't believe how smart she is. : )

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#6 of 9 Old 02-18-2003, 11:34 PM

I would say my daughters birth was close to it. I had her unassisted at home in the bathroom after an hour and 1/2 of being in labor. It was unplanned but amazing. My body worked so beautifully with my daughter's to bring her into the world. It was a wonderful birth. I have never felt better. My daughter didn't cry when she came out, but my dh had called an ambulance so as soon as they arrived and took her from me she screamed. If I knew then what I know now I never would of let my dh call an ambulance. Eventhough my daughter had the most peaceful beginning it went down hill when we got to the hospital. So I'm not sure how that has affected her and her personality. She is very spiritied and was hgh needs baby. I could not put her down for long and she nursed a lot etc. I'm glad I went with it and didn't try and fight her nature.
My son was a hospital , pit. induced birth. It was awful ( although still pain med free and as low tech as an induction can be, now that's an oxymoron) and I still don't know why I allowed it to happen. ActuallyI guess I do , I was feared into it, my water had been leaking for a few days(should have lied about that) and my ob scared me so bad with his infection talk. I knew better but when someone implies you are risking your babe's life you get scared (at least I did) that added with being very tired and sick ,I gave in. Luckly my OB barely made it to "deliver" my son and so I was not cut or in stirrups. No time for any of that crap. I did learn a very valuable lesson though and that is I know how to birth best, I do not need anyone to assist me. Sorry I went off topic and ranted. But I did have a point, hahahaha.
My son is the most mellow baby, now toddler. He came out that way. He is the complete opposite of my daughter. Eventhough he was not birthed how he deserved to be he is not anxious at all. I'm sure how a babe is birthed does affect a babies temperment but who knows to what degree or in what way it manifests. Or if it is overcome quickly with instinctual parenting. I know I didn't put my son done for anything for at least 3 days.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#7 of 9 Old 02-20-2003, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Here's what Chiromom wrote on her thread about Chirobaby in response to "Ecstatic Birth."
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiromom
About ecstatic birth; I can see how there is a duality of ecstacy and *pain/pressure* in a fully *accepted* birth. When I first started pushing it hurt like hell and I was freaking. Once I realized that the baby's head was really there and the pushing was *ok* then it felt soooo great (for the one minute it took to finish the job)! The hour or so of *labor* wasn't ecstatic for me, but wasn't horrible either. I mean it is intense and can be painful but I found thinking of what I was feeling as an expansion and visualizing the mechanics of what was happening to be very helpful in accepting the *pain*.

As far as the long term benefits of this type of birth...I think the sky is the limit. I cannot seperate the many things I encorporated into my parenting style which I chose to maximize my child having no interference to achieving his/her full potential. They include, natural/accepting birth with all the appropriate hormones present, chiropractic adjustments to remove interference to the nerve system throughout the body, good nutrition, attachment parenting, family bed, loving/positive family life, no vaxing, intact penis, etc... All of these things contribute and I don't know what is *responsible* for what. I am just very pleased with the results so far. People always comment on how "good" DS is and how loving etc. They said, the next baby probably won't be so "easy". BS I say! She is just as awesome and mellow as he was. Plus, I believe our expectations of our children will greatly affect the outcome. So, I expect that things will be great and that we will find great solutions to the problems that do arise. That is also how I approached this pregnacy and the planned free birth.

Enough yammering again. I'll step down off my soap box now.
I'm really getting into all these unassisted birth stories and the information here! Thanks Sheacoby for your post and Devrock for your link. I really enjoyed both and am so excited for you all and for the future babies I will have at home. I can see this is the way to go!
#8 of 9 Old 02-20-2003, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

O.k. I know my birth story is not as inspiring or natural as yours are but I thought I'd share it anyway...I'll try to keep it short and sweet!

Dh and I were on our way to eat dinner and then go to church...it was about 4pm on my birthday and three days from EDD! When we got done with dinner I started to feel like I was having contractions. We went home started timing them and got to the hospital around 7pm b/c they were really close contractions. I was dilated to 7cm and was dilated to 10cm by 8:30pm. I did not want an epidural but I had some type of drug in an IV up until 8pm (duh, I dont remember what it was, but it took the edge off). Doc was there by 8 and we started pushing and I was so uncomfortable and just wanted to get this over with!! At 11:45pm I was still pushing and the doc told me I would need a c/s if I didnt get him out soon cuz there was mocconium (sp??) in the water that they popped about 10:00 (I think that was the time). They gave me an episiotomy and I started pushing like carzy with a huge audience of hospital folk (doc, nurses etc) and he was born at 12:14 a.m. I did not get to hold him until around 2:30 a.m. but dh was able to. They were sewing me up forever and would not let me hold him and I was so out of it! It was love at first sight and the rest is history!

On a side note, we are still nursing, we started co-sleeping when ds was two months, and he was circed and vaxed! But like I wrote earlier...we have been enlightened in many ways over this last year and are doing great. But I know we could have gotten off to a much better start with AP and breastfeeding if there was more info in the mainstream. Now I am trying to set an example to other moms that dont have the info or resources we do. I surely wasnt exposed to moms like you and we paid the price in the beginning and had a lot of making up to do...
#9 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM

I had a homebirth and about 6 hours in during  the quiet of 5am swaying on my hands and knees I knew I just needed to let go and let the rush take over me. I surrendered and had a flooding release. My doula was insistent that my waterbroke but I knew otherwise. My water didn't break until I was pushing him out (which was lucky because otherwise the meconium in the fluid would had made me transfer to the hospital). I read and loved this article before the birth, watched the documentary orgasmic birth and read that book. It was the swaying movement that really helped and I realized after that I stopped moving, just took my acupressure (RECOMMEND!) and progressed through another 10 hours of getting dilated. My ladies keep those hips swaying, relax and let nature take its course. I can't wait to have another baby,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page