Tall Mamas - Fishy pool or birthing tub??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I really want a waterbirth, or at least to labor in the tub because water feels soooooooo good when I am in pain...I am wondering which would be best for me to use since I am 5'9" and a size 10/12 before pregnancy - not a tiny little thing . Any tall mamas with suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 04-10-2006, 09:28 AM

I'm 5 10 and used the fishy pool and it was great! My labor was super super fast and I was only in the pool for the last fifteen minutes or so, so I can't vouch for it for longer time periods though.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#3 of 30 Old 04-10-2006, 12:37 PM

I''m 6'0, and used the aquadoula. I totally loved it, because the water covered me to my chest. AND it had a heater to help maintain the cozy warm temp. I guess the main concern for me would be coverage...having my belly surrounded with warm water was a major help for me. How deep is the pool you are considering?
#4 of 30 Old 04-11-2006, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

I am not certain yet which pool I am going to get if I go the fishy pool route. I have been looking at quality inflatables - thanks to the Mamas here! They just don't look very deep and I would like the water to cover my tummy - and what a huge tummy I have already! My dd was 9lb 4oz and when I sat in the bathtub the water didn't even come close to covering my tummy. I am concerned, however, at the cost of renting a tub because we don't have much money...and we have no medical insurance either so we want to keep costs down "just in case"...Thanks for the replies I have gotten so far!
#5 of 30 Old 04-11-2006, 04:28 PM

I wouldn't say I'm tall at 5'8" but I'm about a size 10/12 also, I used an aquadoula.
#6 of 30 Old 04-11-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugchild77
I am concerned, however, at the cost of renting a tub because we don't have much money...and we have no medical insurance either so we want to keep costs down "just in case"...Thanks for the replies I have gotten so far!
OT, but when we lost our health insurance I was able to get Medicaid to cover maternity. I think most states offer coverage for maternity care to pretty anyone without insurance. We got very comprehensive coverage bc we are quite low income at the moment, but MI at least offers a more basic (maternity services only) coverage to pg women of middle income as well.

It might be worth looking into. I am homebirthing too, but if a problem arises I don't want money issues to be a factor in deciding to transfer or not. I'm afraid that if i'm worried about money in labor, it might cause problems. It might be worth looking into.

As for the tub issue, I'm 5'7" and decided that no way was I going to be comfy in a fishy pool. We're taking out homebirth to my in-law's house--yummy deep hot-tub on the deck, surrounded by privacy fence. Here's hoping it doesn't rain.
#7 of 30 Old 04-11-2006, 05:41 PM

So how did you convince them to let you birth in the hot tub? My mother, who lives right down the road from our house, has a hot tub but goes EEEEEW when I even bring up the idea of letting me get in when I'm in labor.... must be a cleaning-it-afterwards type thing. anyway.
I was also wondering about this, has anyone seen the "la bassine" birthing tub? An ebay store has it for like $90 or else it can be ordered from overseas, I think the website is www.madeinwater.co.uk
I thought it seemed like an in-between a little fishy pool and a $250 + $150 shipping rental of an aqua doula.

And to answer the op question , reading this page made me want something more than a kiddie pool, but it's an advertisment so take it with a grain of salt... http://www.waterbirth.org/spa/content/view/107/108/
#8 of 30 Old 04-11-2006, 05:57 PM

I sucked her in slowly and crunchified her before she knew what was happening.

Step 1: Showed her a stack of Kissaluv 0's. Can you say "awwwwww, how cute!"?

Step 2: Took her with me to meet the midwives--brocade covered massage table for exams, do my own urine testing, and all. She was impressed. She couldn't believe I was "allowed" to dip the stick in the little cup without handing it off to some intermediary first.

Step 3: Gave her bunches of yummy herbs in mason jars--all my leftover flavorings from my pregnany tea stuff. Spearmint, lemon balm, etc.

She was hooked. Also, she is just excited about that we want her around during the birth. Moving it to her house is making her feel the matriarchal warm and fuzzies.

And finally, they have a power washer, and DH just power-washed their entire fence and deck last weekend and promised to do the tub when we are done with it.

Also, did I mention, I my MIL? She rocks. And she wasn't that crunchy at all..just open-minded, nice lady. Read the evidence-based stuff and realized this is the better way.
#9 of 30 Old 04-11-2006, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

OK...that ad is convincing me...I did like the other pools too...Sigh...decisions, decisions!!!
#10 of 30 Old 04-12-2006, 10:02 AM

I think the major thing is to be able to fill it to 20", so I've just been looking for pools that are a few inches taller than that. Seeing as they're so cheap and we'd use it anyway, I'm planning on ordering one and filling it up for a test run and if it doesn't work I'll consider a more expensive option. And it's going outside on the porch so we won't have to worry that much about keeping it warm in August!
#11 of 30 Old 04-13-2006, 12:06 PM

I labored in water with my DD at a birth center in a triangular jacuzzi. The water did not come up over my belly and I could NOT get comfortable in it no matter how I tried.

This time we have rented a Softub. I am so excited to give birth in it.

I would highly recommend springing for a birth tub. Not to do so IMO is penny wise and pound foolish. I can't imagine giving birth in a fishy pool. What would be the point? JMO and GL.
#12 of 30 Old 04-13-2006, 01:40 PM

Well, I'm not super tall (5'8") but I used a fishy pool and it worked out great! Plenty of room to move around in, dh could have been in there if I'd wanted him to (it would have been cozy, but definitely do-able) and it easily covered my belly (and it was not a small belly, lol). I would also take into consideration your hot water heater capacity - the larger pools take a *lot* of water and I think the test run like morgansmom suggested is a really great idea. I had a very quick labour and we just barely got the pool filled and warmed up in time for ds to be born. If we'd had a larger pool it would not have worked out.
#13 of 30 Old 04-13-2006, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 5'7" and used the big fishy pool http://www.qualityinflatables.com/56493.html . It's a lot bigger than the one they compare in that ad.

I ended up not birthing in the water though. I spent about 5 hours of my labor in there and by the time I was ready to start pushing I was on all fours in the floor in front of the bathroom crying saying "I can't do this!" (36 hours of labor though...I was totally exhausted)

We may have been able to fill it up a little more than we did, but DH didn't want to fill it more cause he didn't want water in the floor when I was leaning on the sides. I think it still helped with labor...but not as much as I had hoped. It felt SO good to get in the water when labor was hard...but it didn't make it as easy as I thought it would.

Here's pics of me in the tub...and I had even measured before getting the bigger pool thinking it would work. (got in different positions and measured to where I wanted the water to come to on me) I just don't know if those couple of extra inches of water would have really made a difference or not. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AZtnDls4aM2Rj

Mandy

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#14 of 30 Old 04-13-2006, 05:44 PM

Mandy- were the sides not very supportive or you just didn't want to risk getting water all over the floor? I'd like to get one with supportive sides that would let me lean on it like you're doing in the pictures (without losing too much water) and this pool seems like it has pretty thick sides. But do they pooch down pretty far when you lean on them?
#15 of 30 Old 04-13-2006, 06:31 PM

Just wanted to add my two cents

I'm 5'8" and pretty fluffy and we used the round fishy pool last time. It worked great. I will say, when I leaned over the side, it did not support me and we did end up with water on the floor. Of course, at that point I didn't care in the least but just know that if you're heavier, it might give a bit. I know women who are lighter and they have said they could sit on the edges even.

This time, I ordered the octagonal one just for a bit more room. Though really, I didn't feel the other was too small at all. My 4 yr old dd got in with me at one point and I always had room to move around in it.

Good luck!!

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

#16 of 30 Old 04-13-2006, 07:10 PM

I'm 5'8" and have used the fishy and a Sevylor. If money wasn't an object, I would go with a real deep pool b/c I felt the fishy wasn't deep enough for me to be on my knees and as immersed as I wanted to be, if that makes sense. Do a search for Sevylor on this forum, and see if you can see my old posts. Man, I loved that pool I had water overflow issues with my fishy

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#17 of 30 Old 04-13-2006, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom
Mandy- were the sides not very supportive or you just didn't want to risk getting water all over the floor? I'd like to get one with supportive sides that would let me lean on it like you're doing in the pictures (without losing too much water) and this pool seems like it has pretty thick sides. But do they pooch down pretty far when you lean on them?
I thought the sides were pretty sturdy! I did still get water in the floor at one time though...even as far from the top of the pool as it was. I was leaning back like in the one picture with my sister stroking my hair, and I went to get up and the weight on the back of my arms sunk it down far enough for water to spill out. I couldn't have SAT on the side though! It was very comfortable in to lean on it on my knees. I just wish I could have gotten about another 6 inches of water in there and i think I would have been good. But, we would have had majorly wet floors if we did that...and DH wasn't willing to give me more water. Here's another pic that maybe you can see how much it squished down....and I really blew the thing up! But, I bet I weighed close to 190. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AZtnDls4aM2Ry

Mandy

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#18 of 30 Old 04-13-2006, 10:05 PM

:

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#19 of 30 Old 05-08-2006, 12:37 PM

I'm only 5' 4" but I used the fishy pool and had PLENTY of room to move around. Are you also aware that there is a larger fishy pool? I'm thinking it's maybe an octagon shape.
#20 of 30 Old 05-08-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I thought the sides were pretty sturdy! I did still get water in the floor at one time though...even as far from the top of the pool as it was. I was leaning back like in the one picture with my sister stroking my hair, and I went to get up and the weight on the back of my arms sunk it down far enough for water to spill out. I couldn't have SAT on the side though! It was very comfortable in to lean on it on my knees. I just wish I could have gotten about another 6 inches of water in there and i think I would have been good. But, we would have had majorly wet floors if we did that...and DH wasn't willing to give me more water. Here's another pic that maybe you can see how much it squished down....and I really blew the thing up! But, I bet I weighed close to 190. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AZtnDls4aM2Ry

Mandy
Just make sure you blow the pool up well and use a shower liner underneath the pool just in case. I leaned on the side the whole time and there was no water that got off of the shower liner.
#21 of 30 Old 05-08-2006, 02:40 PM

I had waterbirths for both my boys (10lb. 4 oz. & 10lb. and no tears!!!)and both times I used the fishy pool. I'm 5'10-there was plenty of room and I don't remember having any problems with spillage and I was very comfortable considering it's childbirth and all.
#22 of 30 Old 05-08-2006, 05:15 PM

I just wanted to pipe up and say that I got a great deal on that fishy pool (the octagonal one) at Toys R Us just last week. Its the deepest blow up pool I've been able to find. Quality Inflatables is out of stock........so is just about every other company online; unless you wanna pay $40.00 or more. But....one of the gals on the unassisted board mentioned she saw it at Toys R Us. I went there and checked...and sure enough...it was there. The price was $24.99...which I was more than willing to pay........but when it rang up, the register read $14.06. Wahoooo.....good deal! If you're gonna use the octagonal fishy pool (which my sister used and loved, btw)....Toys R Us has it on sale RIGHT NOW.

Lisa
#23 of 30 Old 05-09-2006, 01:40 AM

What about La Bassine? Anyone use it? I understand that it's supposed to be "superior" to a standard kiddie pool in that it is deeper, yet sturdier, while at the same time has a lesser-gallon capacity. Sounds good, but $19.95 for a fishy pool sounds good, too!

And forgive me for asking a question off-topic, but since you all seem to have experience with this: how do you soak in a pool for hours without turning into a prune? (Seriously, I would rather *not* have my skin sloughing off after birth...)
#24 of 30 Old 05-09-2006, 10:42 AM

I have been battling myself over bassine vs. octagon fishy pool!

Don't worry about your skin sloughing off, it won't happen. Your hands and feet get "pruney" because the keratin-filled cells in the outer layer of skin absorb a little water but the other cells do not. The skin puckers up to create a larger surface area to accomodate the swelled keratin cells. It only happens on your hands and feet because the outer layer of skin is so much thicker there, so it has many more keratin cells. When you get out of the tub, the water evaporates out of the cells. You could always hang your feet/hands out of the water every now and then to keep it from happening if it bothers you... but don't worry, your skin won't fall off!
#25 of 30 Old 05-10-2006, 09:48 AM

I haven't given birth yet, but I'm using a Gentle Birth Pool. I was just looking at their website and found this. On the other hand, I've heard of plently of people who labored or birthed quite comfortably in an inflatable pool (Like her.)

Does anyone else's MW include a tub in their fees? We are just borrowing their tub and it doesn't cost anything extra. It sounds like we're pretty lucky!
#26 of 30 Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 AM

i am almost 6' an dused the larger sized fishy pool and loved it! It was fine.
#27 of 30 Old 05-10-2006, 10:24 AM

Hi there! I would go with the deepest pool I could find, tie-dyed, oh, the hot tub sounds perfect! We used a rubbermaid trough. Midwives tend not to like that because it's dark so they can't see how much blood is in the water. My midwife wanted me to get out before I was ready because of that. (*sigh* she was great in general but a little fear-based here -- as if my good spirits, awareness, and energy level weren't enough to know I wasn't hemorrhaging?) With my other birth where we used the trough it was moot because not only did we not have a midwife, but I also elected to give birth on dry land. It was very nice to labor in, though, and because it was dark and high it felt rather womb-like and protected. When there were people in the room, I felt like there was this barrier between them and me (which I wanted -- being touched and feeling watched were distracting to me.)

What I liked about it was being able to submerge myself up to my chest while on my knees. I'm only 5'6" so I don't know how that would work for you, but I know I wouldn't have been able to do that in a fishy pool. Every time I see a photo of a mom laboring in a fishy pool she's leaning back in order to get the water over her.

One nice thing about the trough is its rigid sides -- I could lean on them and, um, bite the edge. That's also its drawback -- the bottom is hard and has to be padded with something if you're going to spend a lot of time sitting or kneeling in it. Someone suggest a foam pad, that would have been great but I wasn't prepared to deal with the mess of it, you'd have to have some means of drying it out then disposing of it. It was actually fine for me because for most of it I was kind of swimming around as I changed positions, and on my feet squatting (the hard side helps with this too.)
#28 of 30 Old 05-10-2006, 01:43 PM

I just have to ask....what is a fishy pool?
#29 of 30 Old 05-10-2006, 03:06 PM

LOL

Here it is. You can get this at Toys R Us for $24.99:

http://www.qualityinflatables.com/56493.html

Or this one at online stores:

http://www.qualityinflatables.com/58480.html
#30 of 30 Old 05-10-2006, 05:33 PM

So, at Toys R Us, are they called Intex Inflatable Ocean Reef Swimming Pool? I was trying to search for them on toysrus.com and couldn't find anything like that. We live far enough away from a Toys R Us that I would want to call and make sure they had one before I went to go get it. Would I call and ask for that specific pool?

Sorry, I feel so out of touch with all this birth pool stuff! This thread is helpful because I am 6' as well, so I am glad to get recommendations!

Sybil

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page