Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Subbing...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#302 of 356 Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I would have cleared my room out of people before DD1 came in the next morning to meet her little sister. There were still so many people in there that she was too shocked to even look and me and the baby for a while. It would have been nice for it to just be a private, intimate moment as a new family of 4.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#303 of 356 Old 09-25-2010, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like you are getting great advice!

My biggest thing was wishing we'd had my BIL/SIL keep my older two overnight so that dh, baby and me could sleep. DS2 was born at noon(labor started at about 9am) and the older kids came home at about 5pm...which would've been okay had dh not been up all night long working. He came home to me in labor. So needless to say he was exhausted and I could not care for 2 older kids having just had a baby.

Also just lay around and take it easy. Don't worry about getting back to housework...the more you rest the faster you will heal.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#304 of 356 Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 PM

wish someone could compile this into one big homebirth checklist.. haha.

I WILL get motivated and organized to make this into a big checklist, etc.. but just curious if anyone has already done so?

Doula, Childbirth Educator, Happily married to DH heartbeat.gifand SAHMfemalesling.GIF 

DS bikenew.gif(12/08) and DD diaper.gif(02/11)

winner.jpgcd.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg

#305 of 356 Old 10-17-2010, 10:11 PM

A bout a year ago, I made a list of all these that might be important. Some more may be up there, but as a mom of three home births, these stuck out.
Barbara
birthpower. us

My favorites from the list above......
Olive oil for meconium, works SOOO much better then the petroleum.
Comfrey tea, go buy some comfrey leaves and brew your own tea. There are a few things you can do with it after the birth. 1. Drink the tea asap after you give birth. Its the best thing i've ever tasted in my life and just replenshes you. 2. Drink it when ever you are latching dc on to nurse and also when ever you get the after pains. The tea somehow soothes those nasty afterpains. 3. Put it in the peri bottle at room temp.and spray after every bathroom visit for the first few days. 4. Put it on maxi pads then freeze, ohh heaven lol!

And I wish I had known that pitocen induced contractions are so different then natural ones ( i would have believed i was in labor). And lastly I wish I had known that I wasnt the only one who felt like I couldnt do it or get past the pain of transistion! And that just because I felt that way doesnt mean I failed! Good luck momma, you'll do wonderful!

have some positive thoughts written out and posted on your fridge: like "my body with open like a flower as my baby slips out". very helpful!

-have someone designated to take pictures. You'll be glad to look at it afterwards, even if you don't show anyone the crotch shots!

-cover your bed with fresh sheets on the bottom, a plastic tarp over the fresh sheets, with old sheets on top of the plastic. Very easy clean up.
no diapers, wipes, extra clothes or anything
Seems like everyone has the basics covered.
1. freeze meals
2. water tub
3. birthing stool
BE PREPARED for an unassisted delivery, as this was the case with my 3rd child. Our midwife left as soon as we called but missed the birth by 1 1/2 hours. My husband and I did it alone while our 3 year old and 16 month old ran in and out of the bathroom. They seemed fine with it - without anyone there to care for them.

One more suggestion: have a labor project to do. I LIKE having some housework to do to get my mind off of the contractions. I got this idea from my midwife who attends Amish women. They just keep doing stuff until they need to concentrate too hard to do any work. Keep it something easy that doesn't require much concentration and something that doesn't matter if it doesn't get done.

Having orange juice and water ready for after I delivered. Also having some yummy thick soup for eating afterward! I always labored all night so food the next day was a must or I would just start feeling faint. Starting a pot of soup or cream of chicken, some comfort food basically, is a great early labor chore. But in case you have a short labor, having something easy to heat up is a good idea too.

. I had a friend at both births whose only job was to play the hostess. She is my best friend and felt completely comfortable getting into my cupboards and closets. She answered the door, answered the phone, got people refreshments (which I would have felt the need to do if she didn't ), and she took pictures. After my last birth she stayed and helped me up to the shower. She helped me clean up and even washed my hair for me. I will never forget her servant heart and true doula spirit!

r third or fourth? ) the tub! And the visitor's policy
super big maxi pads....already crushed ice (even if you have to buy it) for after...and I think that is it.

One thing thata squeeze bottle with the sitz bath herb water in hasn't been mentioned is to have a
water bottle WITH A STRAW ready for labor.

arnica gel is great!!
emergen-c. yummy powder drink mix from the HFS. or juices or gatorade or whatever you like.
"At homebirths we mother the mother. Please do something helpful/useful while you are here. Sweep the floor, quietly do the dishes, wash a load of laundry, or take out the trash. But most importantly, limit your stay to 15 minutes."

I liked their sign, but we didn't want visitors for a week. We printed one that told the baby's stats and that the new family was resting and getting to know each other. We also put a date so they'd know when we would accept visitors, and instructions to call first. Then we just didn't answer the door.

After 1 week we used the MW's sign.
sports drink is better than water. My last client was so determined to stay hydrated that she had a seizure from electrolyte imbalance. I won't force it, but from now on I am going to strongly encourage it sports drink during a long labor.
*i wished someone would have insisted that the sun would be good for baby's jaundice and that it would be good for me too. (it was recommended to take baby out, but i was so petrified of the sun that i didn't do it enough and it made me so afraid)
I also thought I'd be able to have a practically unassisted birth- but my mother and friend turned out to be LIFESAVERS! And having massage during contractions really gives you another sensation to concentrate on other than burning thighs and awful stomach pains.

No matter how great your attendents are, you are the only one that can push your baby out.

Don't let anyone tell you when, how long or how hard to push. Ask them to be silent or to say things like, "Oh I can see hair."

Dance to your favorite music.

Have fun.

Move around at will.

Put a sign on the door saying, "Pregnant mommy resting!"

Take the phone off the hook.
Baby hat
Natural diapers
MDC- something promotional?

Birthpower AWARENESS CAMPAIGN - Do you have your button yet?   www.BirthPower.us      

Did you ROCK that VBAC or Natural Birth? Honor yourself with a Birthpower Necklace! & Empowered Birth Lawn Sign!

PLEASE join our yearly-  EMPOWERED BIRTH AWARENESS WEEK.     

#306 of 356 Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Thank you for distilling your faves!
#307 of 356 Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 AM

I just finished this thread, GREAT suggestions! I'm subbing for future reference
#308 of 356 Old 10-21-2010, 04:45 AM

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
#309 of 356 Old 12-12-2010, 04:27 PM

I love the idea of a sign with the baby's stats, and a date when you will begin accepting visitors!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#310 of 356 Old 12-12-2010, 10:56 PM

Love this thread too...will be saving for a later date.  Due late July 2011

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#311 of 356 Old 12-13-2010, 09:53 AM

I wish would have written a birth plan and discussed it with my midwife instead of just assuming that if I have a homebirth everything would e like I wanted for me and the baby. For example among other things I am still puzzled why couldn't my MW -put my baby on top of me skin to skin and covered us both with blankets and a heating pad when DD needed help keeping her temp up instead of getting her dressed and swadled and under heating pad next to me.

#312 of 356 Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Subbing...

I wish I had known that I would vomit so much during labor and known to ask my MW if I should maybe have an IV.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#313 of 356 Old 12-15-2010, 04:55 PM

Subbing...

Thanks so much for all the great advice, mamas.  I'm looking forward to my first HB in August.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#314 of 356 Old 12-15-2010, 05:17 PM

I wish I had an extra bathmat or two on hand... I ended up washing mine multiple times due it getting wet or bloody. I gathered all my birth supplies and put them in a big rubbermaid tub a few weeks ahead and set it in my birth room so everyone knew right where everything was.  I wish I would have established visiting hours as a PP recommended, great suggestion! 

#315 of 356 Old 12-15-2010, 05:31 PM

And whether a home birth or a hospital birth, have your placenta encapsulated!  It was the best thing I did for myself!!!

#316 of 356 Old 12-18-2010, 09:42 PM

I'm glad that I insisted on having only my husband and the MW there.

I'm glad I had a ton of towels handy. Have your DP stick them in the dryer for you if you have a tub right before you come out.

Speaking of which......I'm soooo glad I had a waterbirth!!

I would advise going easy on the visitors. And have a lot of faith in yourself. Good luck!!!! You'll love it

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#317 of 356 Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 PM

I'm glad that I insisted on having only my husband and the MW there.

I'm glad I had a ton of towels handy. Have your DP stick them in the dryer for you if you have a tub right before you come out.

Speaking of which......I'm soooo glad I had a waterbirth!!

I would advise going easy on the visitors. And have a lot of faith in yourself. Good luck!!!! You'll love it

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#318 of 356 Old 12-24-2010, 04:45 PM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Man this gets me so excited. I'm only about 10ish weeks, but am already compiling lists of supplies and questions for my midwife. notes.gif

The only thing that is kinda freaking me out is all the talk about transfers. You see, we live in the boonies, about 45 minutes away from a qualified hospital, so the thought of transferring in an emergency sickens me with dread! WHAT KIND OF EVENTS REQUIRED YOU TO HAVE A TRANSFER????? Scary!confused.gif

I am not going to worry about it. I have had 2 hospital birth that were completely fine and everything went right, and i would have been able to handle everything alone if I had given home birth a good long thought! I know every time is different, but I am confident things will work out right.

Nesting always kicks in super early for me. i think I am slightly OCDdishes.gifcrochetsmilie.gifI just knitted the new baby a hat, and had a huge urge to go thru at least ONE of the bags of baby clothes I have saved to pick out the gender neutral newborn things! So I am super anxious to prepare all the supplies and stock my 'nest' with all the linens, herbs, supplies....Just EVERYTHING I need so you ladies have been super helpful and informative!

joy.gifthanks.gifnamaste.gifbow.gifthumbsup.gifclap.gif

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#319 of 356 Old 12-25-2010, 03:37 AM

My transfer was due for failure to dilate, but that was after 3 days of labor.  My labor started on a Friday morning and Monday morning we decided that it wasn't going to happen, so we headed to the hospital.  More than likely the failure to dilate was due to my DS's posterior position.

MC #1: 12/05; MC #2: 1/09 Mama to our first that arrived 11/2/09
#320 of 356 Old 12-25-2010, 05:55 AM

Nuzzle, I don't know anyone who had to transfer with such urgency that 45 minutes would have made a difference.  

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#321 of 356 Old 12-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Make sure spouses, housemates, older children, visitors, or any other adults present after the birth fully understand that you just gave birth, and they shouldn't expect anything more from you than if you were the same length of time out from a hospital birth. I had people asking things of me 2-3 days postpartum that I'm sure they wouldn't even have thought of asking me if I'd just returned from the hospital (like what my plans were for dinner).

Make sure the propane tank (if you have one, obviously) is at an acceptable level at the time you become eligible for a homebirth so that you have hot water :P

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#322 of 356 Old 12-25-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post

Nuzzle, I don't know anyone who had to transfer with such urgency that 45 minutes would have made a difference.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMad View Post

My transfer was due for failure to dilate, but that was after 3 days of labor.  My labor started on a Friday morning and Monday morning we decided that it wasn't going to happen, so we headed to the hospital.  More than likely the failure to dilate was due to my DS's posterior position.

Oh that is reassuring!!! Thank you ladies!!

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#323 of 356 Old 12-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Transfer preparation idea!lightbulb.gif

We are setting up our spare room with an old bed and the birth pool to be the 'labor and delivery room'. What I think i will do is 'pack' most items in a bag just to have easy access to in there. PP Clothes, undies, toiletries, comfort items, baby clothes...things that I would need in case of transfer OR that I can ask someone to fetch while birthing at home and for afterward. That way everything I need is in one place when (or where) I need it, be it a different room or a different town! And people or myself don't have to rummage thru drawers or laundry for what I want. Obviously things like toothbrush and your shower stuff can stay put, but it wouldn't hurt to put travel size stuff in the bag.

#324 of 356 Old 12-26-2010, 05:28 PM

To me , birth was not pain. It was just intense SENSATION that I had to surrender to. The mind had to let go- and the body had to take over.

This was the one time in life where I had to be 100% there. I could not escape in thoughts- pay the bills, worry or look over something that happened to me,. I had to be there and feeling and surrendering to what was.

The paradox was- that the surrender brought power, there was no more fear.

Even today , I feel like there is nothing I can not overcome, with the power I have gained from my births... it is a way of being-- and I found it through birth

Birthpower AWARENESS CAMPAIGN - Do you have your button yet?   www.BirthPower.us      

Did you ROCK that VBAC or Natural Birth? Honor yourself with a Birthpower Necklace! & Empowered Birth Lawn Sign!

PLEASE join our yearly-  EMPOWERED BIRTH AWARENESS WEEK.     

#325 of 356 Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Love this thread! I just finished reading the whole thing and got some great ideas. I'm 26 weeks with #2 and getting ready to start preparations for the actual birth.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#326 of 356 Old 01-13-2011, 06:38 PM

I agree with a PP, an extra bathmat would have been great!  

#327 of 356 Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM

subbing for future hb

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#328 of 356 Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Do not let your birth partner get sick!  Maybe have a back-up partner in-case:)

#329 of 356 Old 01-14-2011, 03:56 PM

What a helpful thread!  I can't wait to put all this advice to use!  :D

Thank you all for sharing.  :)

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#330 of 356 Old 01-24-2011, 02:13 PM

Fantastic thread!!  Subbing to come back and read at leisure!!!  So many things already I wish I'd known/done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page