Good CHEAP waterbirth pool (link) and a ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-20-2006, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to share this with y'all. I had been trying and trying, to no avail, to find the same birthing pool as my sister (hoppytoad) had used. It was so cushy and comfy, yet not flimsy at all. You can sit on the sides without any water spilling out. Quality Inflatables (where I'd normally get it) is out of stock. FINALLY.........I found it here at the very cheapest (couldn't find it elsewhere for under $40.00)...........

http://www.brandsonsale.com/itx-56493.html

Now, my dilemma is keeping it nice n' hot. I'll be birthing late June/early July....so, the water will probably keep its heat pretty well (so I'm thinkin). I want to have the birthing pool outside. We live with the inlaws and if I go into labor in the middle of the night.......the only other big tub in the house is off their bedroom (nice, big corner tub). I'd like to be kinda secluded, so I was thinking of setting up some kind of birthing tent/pavilion thing outside. I could run a hose from the kitchen faucet to the backyard pretty easily. What do I use to heat the pool?????? I have an idea...tell me if this is crazy. We have friends that have a dog igloo heater. Their dog NEVER has used it....he snubs his plush outdoor doggy igloo (indoor doggy). Its something like this:

http://www.futurepets.com/Dog_House_Heaters.htm

Would that work??? Max temp is 103...but if I'm starting off with hot water..... I've also read you can use water bed heaters. Does anyone have any practical experience heating a waterbirth pool without dumping and refilling??

Yeeehawww, starting to get my supplies together.....

Lisa
#2 of 7 Old 04-20-2006, 09:38 PM

You can get that exact pool at Toys R Us. I saw it last Sat. for $24.99. I used that pool for my last birth also.

I wouldn't think that doghouse heater would work. You have to have something submersible, and I wouldn't want to "test" THAT out!

If you are looking for something to heat the water, maybe an aquarium water heater, or rent an Aquadoula.
#3 of 7 Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All my clients use that pool and we have no issue keeping it warm with a hose. You don't want it any hotter than 100'...and in fact, it could easily be cooler than body temp in hot weather.

We use an aquarium submersible pump with a hose attachment to suck out water and then we add more hot water with the hose. We usually advise parents turn up the water heater a few weeks prior to ensure that there is plenty of hot water.

Here's my page on waterbirth: www.midwifemama/waterbirth_hints.htm

Hope that helps!!
#4 of 7 Old 04-21-2006, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Darnit Stacy!! I wish I would've known that.........I found it for the same price online; cept I'm paying 13.00 more dollars for shipping Its out of stock at Quality Inflatables and every other place on the web wanted around 40.00 for it. Ah well.

Thanks for that, Pamela. I'm thinking along the same lines.......I was reading on gentlebirth.org about waterbed heaters under inflatable pools and an almost disasterous result. I'm not too keen on being electrocuted. We'll probably do a dry (wet ) run and see how long it takes to fill and just how long it stays hot. Your website is great........although several links aren't working for me. I did get to read the waterbirth one. Thanks again.

Lisa
#5 of 7 Old 04-21-2006, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
You can get that exact pool at Toys R Us. I saw it last Sat. for $24.99. I used that pool for my last birth also.
I saw it tonight at TRU too

Seriously?
#6 of 7 Old 04-21-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife

Here's my page on waterbirth: www.midwifemama/waterbirth_hints.htm

Hope that helps!!
Pam - this link isn't working. Can you fix it? I'd love to read it. TIA!
#7 of 7 Old 04-21-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Stacy...it wasn't working for me either, so I went to the main page, www.midwifemama.com and then clicked on "Waterbirth." You can get there like that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page