Birth Tub Water Heater??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-30-2006, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies, I have a question. We live in an apartment with a SMALL water heater. WHen I had ds, my midwives were boiling water on the stove to keep my water warm enough
So, we are now looking for something to use to heat the water in my tub. My mw provides a tub in our birthkit, it's an Intex inflatable tub. I know that the aquadoula comes with a heater, but it is just SO out of our budget.

Anyway...does anyone have any recommendations for what you may have done to keep your water warm??

Thanks!!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#2 of 8 Old 05-01-2006, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
have you tried turning up your water heater? sometimes this helps.

I dont' know that I'd use anything with the tub - especially a tub that has been used before. That might compromise the integrity of the seams. Those inflatable pools are not really meant to be used with waterbed heaters and the like. Heck, I think they're totally awesome for standing up to using them with hot water for birth!

was the water not hot enough for your liking or was your provider concerned about the temp? sometimes women don't mind a bit cooler, but there are still many providers who think the water has to be hotter than 100'.
#3 of 8 Old 05-01-2006, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

We have it up all the way, it's just really small, so it doesn't fill the tub with enough hot water for me. I like it pretty warm to help me relax.
This tub will be new. She buys a new one for each client (very nice in my opinion!).
My dh is looking into getting an electric shower head to fill it with. Just wondering if anyone else has a better idea.
Thanks Pamela!

#4 of 8 Old 05-01-2006, 01:14 AM

Ooooh an electric shower head? Please share more!!!

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#5 of 8 Old 05-01-2006, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, he lived in Ecuador for 2 years and that is how they were able to have hot water for their showers.
So, it hooks up to the hose (I guess) and will heat the water as it comes through the faucet or hose. You can do an internet search for electric shower head and see them. They are pretty cool.

#6 of 8 Old 05-01-2006, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nice! i was also going to recommend a solar heater for more water, but that would cost more and take longer than the stove.

I guess I could only suggest maybe filling it a bit at a time, then hoping it doesn't cool down too much by the time your water is hot again to fill more?

Good luck! Let us know how that shower head works for you!
#7 of 8 Old 05-03-2006, 12:46 PM

We put a piece of poly (like painter's plastic) over the top of the tub when we weren't using it. That and a blanket, and it kept it's heat very well.
#8 of 8 Old 05-04-2006, 05:08 PM

We got a thermal bath mat that makes bubbles to put in our tub. I don't want to put my bottom on it since I don't want bubbles in my vagina during birth, but it says it will maintain the water temp w/out heating it. This is just my idea---I don't know if it is safe or effective, but we're going to try it. A cheap one can be found on www.cvs.com.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page