Homebirth and Triplets - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 115 Old 05-10-2006, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone ever heard of triplets born at home (in the 21st century)? Also, how about NCB in the hospital? Thanks for any imput!
#2 of 115 Old 05-10-2006, 07:22 PM

Here's one I found:

Quote:
AUTHORS: Alamia V Jr; Royek AB; Jaekle RK; Meyer BA

AUTHOR AFFILIATION: Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, State University of New York at Stony Brook, New York, USA.
SOURCE: Am J Obstet Gynecol 1998 Nov;179(5):1133-5

CITATION IDS: PMID: 9822488 UI: 99039941

ABSTRACT: OBJECTIVE: The objective of the study was to evaluate a protocol for vaginal delivery of triplet gestations.
STUDY DESIGN: All women with triplet gestations managed between January 1, 1995, and December 31, 1997, by University Medical Center's perinatal practice were offered enrollment in our vaginal delivery protocol. Our protocol offered attempt of vaginal delivery if triplet A was in vertex presentation, fetal monitoring was possible, and there were no other obstetric contraindications. Twenty-three triplet gestations were identified; 8 achieved vaginal delivery. Outcome parameters investigated included neonatal mortality, Apgar scores, neonatal intracranial hemorrhage, arterial cord pH, neonatal weight, and length of postpartum hospital stays of mother and neonates. All parameters were analyzed with analysis of variance and the Student t test as appropriate with the JMP 3.1 statistics program (Cary, NC).

RESULTS: Twenty-three sets of triplets were enrolled. Eight sets were delivered vaginally. Eight of 9 patients (88.9%) who attempted trial of labor were delivered vaginally, 1 of which was a vaginal birth after cesarean section. The remaining triplet gestation failed to progress at 4-cm dilation. Twelve sets of triplets had a nonvertex-presenting triplet and were delivered by the cesarean route. The remaining 2 triplet gestations were delivered by the cesarean route because of inadequate fetal monitoring. Neonatal survivals were 100% for both groups. No significant differences in neonatal mortality, Apgar scores, intracranial hemorrhage, arterial cord blood pH, hospital or neonatal intensive care unit stay of neonate, neonatal weight, and change in maternal or neonatal blood cell count were noted. There were no cases of grade III or IV intraventricular hemorrhage in either group. A significant reduction in postpartum hospital stay of mother was noted in the vaginal delivery group (2.8 vs 4.5 days, P <.001). The mean gestational age at delivery was significantly lower for the vaginal delivery group (31.3 vs 34.0 weeks, P <.02). The mean neonatal weight for the vaginal delivery group was significantly lower (1758 +/- 473 vs 2022 +/- 407 g, P <.02). There were no significant differences in outcome parameters for the first, second, and third triplets within each group when compared with each other or with the other study group. One patient who underwent vaginal delivery had retained products of conception and required curettage. A single fetal death occurred at 22 weeks' gestation from twin-twin transfusion, with the remaining triplets being delivered vaginally at 35 weeks' gestation. Cesarean hysterectomy was required in 1 case for uncontrollable bleeding at the time of cesarean delivery. Perinatal complications occurred in a large number of patients, with the incidence of premature labor 47. 8% (n = 11), that of preterm premature rupture of membranes 26.1% (n = 6), and that of preeclampsia 34.8% (n = 8).

CONCLUSION: In selected cases vaginal delivery of triplet gestations can be accomplished without increased maternal or neonatal morbidity and mortality and may significantly decrease maternal hospital stay and postoperative morbidity.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#3 of 115 Old 05-10-2006, 07:38 PM

There's a story in Having Twins and More by Elizabeth Noble about a triplet home birth. It was a VBAC.

The mom knew she was having at least twins but refused an U/S to confirm it. If she had had an US her MWs wouldn't have been able to attend her birth. Her FP was also present for the birth.

Her babies were born at 41 weeks. The first two were vertex and the third was breech. They weighed 6lb 8oz, 6lb 14oz, and 7lbs respectively. The mom had a small tear with no episiotomy

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#4 of 115 Old 05-10-2006, 10:33 PM

triplets, 41 weeks and 6+lbs? That is awesome! Go mama!
#5 of 115 Old 05-10-2006, 10:47 PM

Triplets at 41 weeks gestation???

That would be very rare, and dangerous, imo. That woman gave birth to 20+ lbs of baby.

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#6 of 115 Old 05-10-2006, 11:07 PM

Rare yes, but I don't understand why it would be so dangerous? I admit I know less about twins and triplets vs a singleton birth.
#7 of 115 Old 05-10-2006, 11:31 PM

I agree about rare, but I also fail to see the dangerous in it. Yes, it was 20+lbs of babies but the babes themselves weren't of abnormal size and obviously her body could carry the load or she wouldn't have carried to 41 weeks.

Maybe you're seeing something we aren't?
#8 of 115 Old 05-10-2006, 11:39 PM

wasnt there an article in mothering a couple months back about a woman giving birth to triplets at home? The main story was about her nursing with only one breast. Am I remembering it wrong?

edited to add: I was wrong, it was twins.
#9 of 115 Old 05-10-2006, 11:46 PM

I read the article you are thinking of...I think it was twins. I dont; remember anything about triplets in the article!
#10 of 115 Old 05-11-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenjall
wasnt there an article in mothering a couple months back about a woman giving birth to triplets at home? The main story was about her nursing with only one breast. Am I remembering it wrong?

edited to add: I was wrong, it was twins.
She had a set of twins and already had a toddler so she was nursing 3 babies with the one breast - that's probably why you were thinking triplets.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#11 of 115 Old 05-11-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lucky One
Triplets at 41 weeks gestation???

That would be very rare, and dangerous, imo. That woman gave birth to 20+ lbs of baby.
What's so dangerous about it? She let her body grow the babies to the size they needed to grow. Sounds very wise and healthy to me.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#12 of 115 Old 05-11-2006, 11:20 AM

I remember reading that triplet story in Having Twins. It was both encouraging and scary at the same time because I kept thinking "what if I really have 3 in there?" I asked my midwife if she would do a triplet homebirth and she said no. I don't expect it to ever happen but if I were ever pregnant with triplets I would defenitely want a NCB and I would travel anywhere I needed to, to find a skilled and experienced midwife or dr. willing to do it. But....I don't think I would attempt a homebirth.

I also agree that I don't see the danger in carrying triplets to 41 weeks. The fact that she was able to do it, and that the babies were so big shows that mama's body was capable of nourishing them. Also, if I remember correctly her triplets were concievd naturally and were not a result of fertility treatments. Multiples concieved with infertility treatments have greater risks but those conceived naturally tend to have less complications.

Blessed mama of four
::
#13 of 115 Old 05-11-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymom
I don't expect it to ever happen but if I were ever pregnant with triplets I would defenitely want a NCB and I would travel anywhere I needed to, to find a skilled and experienced midwife or dr. willing to do it. But....I don't think I would attempt a homebirth.
The mom didn't know she was having triplets. She felt it was impossible for her to have the vaginal birth she wanted if she were "Plugged into the medical establishment" so she refused the U/S to confirm twins.

I'm paraphrasing here.
Her dh worked in the home so that he could help her out while she was pg. She ate 200 grams of Protien a day and gained 70lbs. Two mws took turns visiting her every other day to check her BP and Protien. The first two babes were born vertex and 9 minutes apart. After the second baby was born the FP checked her belly and said he felt a head. The mw reached in and turned the baby to face her back because she was breech posterior. Baby C was born 10 minutes later.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#14 of 115 Old 05-11-2006, 06:15 PM

I think the most dangerous thing would be not having the pregnancy monitored in some way. I was doing wonderfully until 33w5d when I went in for a regular appointment knowing I was feeling a little under the weather and ended up in the hospital trying to stop pre-e, get the girls some steroids for their lungs and get rehydrated. My platelets dropped in 2 hours so they ended up delivering at 11:30 that night.

Personally, I think that a lot of the thinking on it is "better safe than sorry" and that is why you will have such a hard time finding anyone to attempt a natural delivery. All of mine were breech so it wasn't really an option, but I'm praying for a home VBAC if I happen to get pg again.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#15 of 115 Old 05-11-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid
I think the most dangerous thing would be not having the pregnancy monitored in some way.
But here pregnancy was monitored as are most homebirths.

Keri

#16 of 115 Old 05-11-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid
I think the most dangerous thing would be not having the pregnancy monitored in some way.
And there are also those of us who believe that the most dangerous thing you can do to a normal, healthy woman is monitor her pregnancy [the way an OB would].
#17 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryPixie83
And there are also those of us who believe that the most dangerous thing you can do to a normal, healthy woman is monitor her pregnancy [the way an OB would].
: That's what I meant

Keri

#18 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
The mom didn't know she was having triplets. She felt it was impossible for her to have the vaginal birth she wanted if she were "Plugged into the medical establishment" so she refused the U/S to confirm twins.
I know she didn't know they were triplets, I read that story over and over while I was pregnant. I was just thinking outloud what I would do if I knew ahead of time they were triplets.

Blessed mama of four
::
#19 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 12:00 PM

Wow I had no idea that triplets could even be born vaginally. That is great. I was always afraid of getting pg with twins because of the very high likelyhood have having a section with triplets it never occured to me that it was even possible to have a vag birth. Makes me happy to know that the possibilty is out there.

Should rephrase that first sentence. I figured they could come out vaginally but never thought it was "allowed" by the medical establishment.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#20 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryPixie83
But by definition a pregnancy with higher-order multiples is not a normal pregnancy, regardless of how healthy the woman is, and I'm in favor of OB-MW comanagement for high-risk pregnancy (which multiple births are).
lyndsaymaj likes this.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#21 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDCatLvr
Should rephrase that first sentence. I figured they could come out vaginally but never thought it was "allowed" by the medical establishment.
So the trick is to avoid the medical establishment

-Angela
#22 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
But by definition a pregnancy with higher-order multiples is not a normal pregnancy, regardless of how healthy the woman is, and I'm in favor of OB-MW comanagement for high-risk pregnancy (which multiple births are).
I would opt to not do an ultrasound to confirm. Do you think twins should be managed by an OB as well?

-Angela
#23 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Wow I had no idea that triplets could even be born vaginally. That is great. I was always afraid of getting pg with twins because of the very high likelyhood have having a section with triplets it never occured to me that it was even possible to have a vag birth. Makes me happy to know that the possibilty is out there.

Actually 80% of triplets are born by cesarean. I highly doubt the other 20% are born at home. There must be some OBs that "allow" it.
Quote:
What would an OB have done that MWs and her FP couldn't? Probably restricted her diet, stressed her out about the abnormality of her pregnancy, She would have been subjected to numerous tests and procedures that clearly she didn't want. And when you look for problems so much you're going to find them. The book where I read the story said that the SOP of the OBs in her area was to do a C/S at 38 weeks for twins. And to top it all off, she was a VBAC. There is no way she would have been "allowed" to have a vaginal birth.

(As a side note I really don't like that women need to ask permission from their doctors to use their own vagina. )

It sounds like her MWs and her FP were very cautious because they thought they were twins. She was monitored more than a singleton pregnancy would have been.

#24 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
(As a side note I really don't like that women need to ask permission from their doctors to use their own vagina. )

This is a wonderful quote- may I borrow it sometime?

-Angela
#25 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
But why? Why is it dangerous? that was my original question. I guess I'll have to go digging for my own answer
#26 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
This is a wonderful quote- may I borrow it sometime?

-Angela
Sure but I can't take credit for it. I read it somewhere else. I can't remember where.

#27 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme
But why? Why is it dangerous? that was my original question. I guess I'll have to go digging for my own answer
Honestly, I think it's just the mindset. "this pregnancy isn't "normal" so it must be dangerous" Kind common in our medically minded society.
#28 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
Probably restricted her diet, stressed her out about the abnormality of her pregnancy, She would have been subjected to numerous tests and procedures that clearly she didn't want.
For me, I never had to deal with any sort of restrictions other than 10 days with 2 hours of rest each day to see if my cervix was shortening because of the weight of the girls or because of pre-term labor approaching. I never had any dietary restrictions other than eating a lot of iron-rich foods at the end and taking my vits. I also didn't feel any sort of pressure to have tests that I didn't want. When they would mention something, dh and I would talk about it and research it and then make our choice. I think the most pressure we got was from the peri's office about refusing genetic testing for cp even though dh's brother has it. She asked 3 times. We were never even asked if we wanted to terminate a babe and "just" have twins. There were more u/s than I would have preferred, but we had some size issues that needed to be watched to amke sure that they were all fine and I had had some early bleeding that they were watching to make sure that it was over and staying over. Considering that the NICU nurses and the neonatologist were shocked that I went 34 weeks and none of the girls had to be on anything other than an ng tube and bili lights, I believe what I did was the best for us. That, is all that you can hope for, right?

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#29 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 02:37 PM

So the woman had had a previous incision to her uterus and then carried 20+ lbs of baby. Insane if you ask me. There, I said it. She was lucky her uterus didn't rupture.

But there's no point in trying to point out risks of higher order multiples to those who believe that a human body is capable of anything if just given the chance and allowed to be left alone.

Ha.
lyndsaymaj likes this.

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#30 of 115 Old 05-12-2006, 03:01 PM

Miriam, I'm glad your care providers respected your wishes for the most part. Its wonderful that your girls are healthy and it sounds like you were given lots of respect from your peris. Its great that they didn't restict your diet too. Not every woman is going to experience that though and it sounds as if she already knew what the local birth climate was so chose not to go through with it.

Quote:
So the woman had had a previous incision to her uterus and then carried 20+ lbs of baby. Insane if you ask me. There, I said it. She was lucky her uterus didn't rupture.
That's a risk that she chose to take. With a Peri/OB she would have had no choice.

Choice A. Birth twins at home, chance possible rupture, greater chance of vaginal birth, have two MWs and FP Doctor present for the birth. Babies go to 41 weeks and are fully cooked. Her health is monitored frequently to make sure that she isn't developing Pre-E.

Choice B. Birth with Peris/OB, Guarenteed Cesarean. Great risk of complications from C/S. Greater risk of prematurity. Has to recover from c/s while trying to care for triplets and toddler.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page