Mentally preparing for a fast labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any tips on this? One of the big reasons I wanted to HB was that DSs labor was pretty fast. It started at 3am and I was complete and pushing by 8am. It did take 3 hours to push him out, but he was posterior. So if this labor is 1/2 the time it could be seriously quick. I got to the hospital at about 5am and I was in transition. As soon as we got in the room, I threw up and then passed out for a few seconds. DH was freaking out but the nurses were doing shift change and report and couldn't help us, poor DH was scared silly thinking something was going wrong. Anyway, back to the point! I've read a lot of birth stories of fast labor and a lot of the time people talk about how hard it was to get a grip on what was happening and cope with the pain. Does anyone have any tips to prepare us both to handle things a little better? Our midwife lives literally a couple of miles from us so she'll be there quickly. But I'm worried about the panicky, out of control feelings that led to the epidural last time.
#2 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 02:54 PM

Hydrotherapy (taking a shower, being in water) and a sympathetic presence during birth can help you avoid these issues. If you must birth in the hospital, have a doula w/you to help you restate your desire against drugs. When a women cries out for drugs, she is really wanting reassurance that she can make it through. If you surrender to the rushes instead of fighting them, it will be much more pleasant. In fact, that was the best part of my labor, when I 'gave up'.
#3 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 03:06 PM

IMO... it's much less scary to think of a preciptious labor since I'm planning another homebirth. Last time my labor was 4 hours total and I didn't even push because he came so fast!

Your midwife lives close by and you're more mentally prepared this time for a faster birth- I imagine that will help tremendously!

Ditto the recommendation of waterbirth!
#4 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybirth2mom
When a women cries out for drugs, she is really wanting reassurance that she can make it through.
I COMPLETELY agree. All I really needed was for someone to say "it's going to be okay, you're doing fine." But poor DH was like a deer in the headlights and just mumbled okay. The nurses of course where not helpful. That's another big reason we're having this one at home, with a supportive midwife!

I'll have to try the shower and our tub. We didn't bother renting a birth tub because we are all concerned about getting it set up and filled in time. I'll try to focus on surrendering too. Thankfully (?) I get weeks of prelabor contractions to help me prepare and practice.
#5 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 03:51 PM

Three months before I had my most recent baby, I posted this I knew I'd have a fast birth andI wanted to prepare. A while later I posted about the SPD that I had and learned that many women had fast labors that also had SPD. So I really knew.
Then it happened. Either my water broke or my pubic bone officially died at approx 10:00pm. I started having ctx about then too, baby was born at 23:59. The first hour was nbothing, occasional light ctx. The last hour is what I really had and it was something else! I truly beleive there was no way for me to have prepared for that. None at all. I thought I was prepared but man, I wasn't. I did not truly ralize that I'd given birth for a good three days afterwards. Now, four months to the day after, I still can barely comprehend the rapidity. I've had a lot of trouble processing this birth. I really tried to prepare mentally, and physically. I wish I had some wonderful words to tell you that preparation is a cinch, but I can't say that with any amount of honesty. I think that if you can come to terms with the fact that it might be fast, that's as good as you can do. I just had to hang on and ride it and that'sjust what it was.

Namaste, Tara
#6 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a 2.5 hour labor with DS, so I too am mentally preparing for another fast birth. Like Tara mentioned, the first hour wasn't too bad. For me, once it got bad, I was in transition, and it went really fast from there! I was in the hospital (PPROM at 29 weeks), and it actually worked out for the best because the nurses thought I'd be a while and didn't bug me or push drugs on me. At the one time that I was beginning to think I couldn't do it, the nurse asked about drugs, and DH answered "no" for me - I didn't say a word. I needed that reassurance from someone, as a PP said.

I think with a midwife so close, you should be ok - you'll have a really good support in her, since your DH seems to have not been able to handle it (although maybe he'll be more in control this time?).

I've got the worry that my midwife is an hour from the birth house!!!! So I may be there unassisted. We'll see. I'm not sure who her assistants are now. The one that would have been very close to the birth house (and whom I know really well) is due in July herself, so I doubt she'll be attending births in November.

I'm not expecting my labor to be half the first one, since the first one was 29w4d with a 3 lb 13 oz baby, and my water had been broken for 4 days. So I think the rapidity had something to do with that, but my family does tend to have fast labors, with the first (full term) being 4-5 hours, second 2.5, third 1.5. My mom almost had me in the parking lot - I was that third baby. My sister has only had one, but she had the 4-5 hour labor also. So I will not be surprised if I have a 2.5 hour labor with #2 if I'm full term (and if I'm preterm again, I'm telling my doctor to be prepared for a *really* quick birth!). Last time, the nurses just didn't believe me when I said my family had fast labors, but I was the talk of the floor the next day! They'd had to race me down the hall to the LDR (I was in the antepartum unit before, with a MUCH more comfortable bed, I might add). I was feeling the urge to push as they were pushing me out the door. It was somewhat amusing.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#7 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTaraX
Three months before I had my most recent baby, I posted this I knew I'd have a fast birth andI wanted to prepare. A while later I posted about the SPD that I had and learned that many women had fast labors that also had SPD. So I really knew.
Then it happened. Either my water broke or my pubic bone officially died at approx 10:00pm. I started having ctx about then too, baby was born at 23:59. The first hour was nbothing, occasional light ctx. The last hour is what I really had and it was something else! I truly beleive there was no way for me to have prepared for that. None at all. I thought I was prepared but man, I wasn't. I did not truly ralize that I'd given birth for a good three days afterwards. Now, four months to the day after, I still can barely comprehend the rapidity. I've had a lot of trouble processing this birth. I really tried to prepare mentally, and physically. I wish I had some wonderful words to tell you that preparation is a cinch, but I can't say that with any amount of honesty. I think that if you can come to terms with the fact that it might be fast, that's as good as you can do. I just had to hang on and ride it and that'sjust what it was.

Namaste, Tara
:

I also had SPD and *knew* my 4th labor would be VERY fast. Thankfully my MW completely agreed. I also knew that if my water broke first it would be CRAZY fast.
Well...... I was right. My water broke. The first thing I did was get in the bathtub before I even had a single contraction. My hope was that the water would slow it down. 15 minutes later I had my first contraction and my DD was born 45 minutes later. I had 30 ish minutes of transition and 10 minutes of pushing. Not sure if the tub slowed it down or not - too scary to think it could have been faster.:
My fast birth was hard and having people tell me how lucky I was is even harder. :
The good news is that my DD weighed 9/9 and I didn't tear at all.
Thankfully we planned a HB or I would have really been panicked

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#8 of 17 Old 05-15-2006, 10:20 PM

Ds was 3 hours from painful contraction to birth (I'd had weeks of prodromal labor so I don't count that).

That was really hard to process everyone thought he'd be your standard 18 or whatever hours, blah blah. Then I started begging for drugs and was *only* 5 cm's, well 2 hours later I was pushing him out.

Knowing it was going to be so fast really helped with dd who of course was longer at 3.5 hours (I posted on your other thread). For me knowing when labor it, that it would be a ton of bricks but over with fast really did help. Like Tara posted with ds it was totally unexpected and I had a hard time processing.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#9 of 17 Old 05-17-2006, 12:10 AM

My experience was a 5 hour labor (sounded much like yours, OP) in hosp. Yes, I had the panicked, out of control feeling. But in retrospect that was due to the blatant harrassment from the nurses and on call doc, all the tube and wires they insisted I have, the ridiculous position they had me in on the bed, and my inability to move around, added to the fact that I wanted desperately to be in water (what I was about to do [get in shower] when the doc freaked and insisted that I have an internal monitor, IV, the works). I had plenty of thoughts of "OH, so THIS is why women ask for drugs and epidurals- sign me up!!" I even did actually ask for drugs *gasp* but that was in the depths of transition, which no one recognized I was in and I started getting pushy and actually pushing before the drug thing could really be addressed.

My next labor was a total of 2 blissful hours at home, and I never experienced even a shred of that panicked feeling. Yes, it got intense, but nothing I'd describe as pain. I was calm and focused and simply had my baby.

I hope that homebirth gives you the same peace and coping ability! No matter how fast and intense your labor may get. Happy birthing!!
#10 of 17 Old 05-17-2006, 01:17 AM

I had a fast labor with the first kiddo (pregger with the second now). Contractions started at 12:30 am after having a special mutual massage with the hubby, fell asleep despite contractions, after that and awoke around 2-3 because the contractions couldn't be ignored anymore. Baby was born at the hospital at 4:20 am (planned hosp birth). I panicked with the first because I thought that I was still in early labor (when I was nearing delivery) and thought that I wouldn't be able to do the rest w/o pain meds.

I have to keep reminding myself that I *could* have a long labor with this kiddo, it's very possible. I think my saving grace during my first labor was that (other than the time expectations- "first labors last 8 hours or longer) for the most part I didn't have any expectations for the labor. This time around, I'm trying to stay open-minded as far as what to expect, and I plan to focus on each contraction and just breathing deeply through them.
#11 of 17 Old 05-17-2006, 09:37 AM

I just had my fastest birth... 2 hours from when I was sure it was not more prodromal labor to birth. VERY intense, but I'm glad that I had mentally prepared for it. The thing that took me by surprise most was no transition- I just went from the occassional painful ctx to my water breaking, and when it did I had these full body pushing ctx.

My four hour labor was easier than this one for sure... but I wouldn't change it. But then again, I AM still processing it.
#12 of 17 Old 05-17-2006, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations Michelle!

Sierratahoe I'm glad to hear that. I had a similar experience. I got to the hospital and they took my bp in the middle of a contraction. It was very high (DUH!) and from then on it was IV, monitoring, and laying on my back. I'm really looking forward to birthing around someone with a brain this time.
#13 of 17 Old 05-17-2006, 11:56 AM

I had a fast labor with my second dd. I went from thinking it might be labor at 8:30 to having the baby at 11:30 at home, w/ dh assisting because the midwife was 2 hours away and I didn't call her in time.

But you asked for specific tips to get mentally prepared. I didn't know I would have a fast labor, but I wanted to be prepared, so I made a list of the comfort measures I wanted to use (massage, key words, imagery, etc) and posted it where I planned to labor. I also collected all the tools I planned to use (birth ball, lotion, hot packs, etc) and kept it near the list. I did NOT call people when my labor started (other than those who needed to know) because I didn't want to lose my energy thinking about others or being distracted by their calls. And well before labor I tried to do a lot of imagining of the scenarios. It turned out nothing like I expected, but that was fine.

Maybe the most important thing you can do in a fast labor is just --be-- in it. Remind yourself your body is working the way it should and the baby will arrive soon.
#14 of 17 Old 05-17-2006, 07:25 PM

My last birth was 2 hours from first, stop you in your tracks, contraction to birth. My midwife was still 1 1/2 hours away when I had him. Because he was a month before I expected him, I had no time to prepare. We didn't even have a birth kit ready! DH had washed some baby clothes and receiving blankets that morning because of the bloody show saying he was coming.

Maybe the most important thing you can do in a fast labor is just --be-- in it. Remind yourself your body is working the way it should and the baby will arrive soon.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement!

I was by myself, he was born 5 minutes from water breaking, DH was downstairs with the other two boys. I was in the moment and did everything my body told me to do. Squatted to ease the contraction pain and his head was out! It was the best birth I had!

I now have a midwife who is an hour away and I'm hoping my 4th ans last baby will be born just as wonderful as #3 was born!
#15 of 17 Old 05-18-2006, 10:24 PM

I had my daughter within less than 4 hours from the time I woke up. I feel like I will be able to cope much better this time because I will be home and feel safe, not threatened. I will remind myself that this will be over quickly and chances are the pain won't get worse once I think I can't do it anymore, if think that at a point that is.Oh and "soon I know what it is" mantra

I don't know, I'm just not scared at all albeit my hospital birth was beyond horrible.
#16 of 17 Old 05-18-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierratahoe
My experience was a 5 hour labor (sounded much like yours, OP) in hosp. Yes, I had the panicked, out of control feeling. But in retrospect that was due to the blatant harrassment from the nurses and on call doc, all the tube and wires they insisted I have, the ridiculous position they had me in on the bed, and my inability to move around, added to the fact that I
yes, yes and yes. I believe that my managable pain at 8 cm went to I want to die because of the whole setup. Nothing else makes sense.
#17 of 17 Old 05-19-2006, 10:13 AM

I think you're one step ahead already by knowing to expect a fast birth. And you're very fortunate to have your midwife live so close.
My first labor was the textbook 14 hours. So while I was expecting my second labor to be faster, I didn't expect it to be 1 hour 40 minutes from start to finish! My water broke again as my first sign of labor, and the contractions were immediate, transition-type, with no breaks in between. I thought to myself, there is no way I can survive this for another 8-10 hours or however long it will take!! If only I'd known how fast it would be I'd have dealt with the pain better I'm sure. I was by myself for all but the last 1/2 hour of the labor (husband and midwives were all a 45 minute drives away). I yelled and jumped around like a crazy person, but I was pushing by the time everyone arrived.
This time I'll know to expect a fast, hard labor. And if it's not as bad, then great.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page