Homebirth with #1? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 97 Old 06-13-2006, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man your doctor sucks. My family doctor was so happy when he found out when I was planning a home birth and was genuinely sad for me when I had to transfer to Mac.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#62 of 97 Old 06-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned

He's not my Dr anymore! LOL.

Dr Loveless was who it was. So yeah...

Not the nicest Dr ifun ya know what I mean...
#63 of 97 Old 06-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Oh yeah I remember you mentioning some other things about him too. :

#64 of 97 Old 06-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
Oh yeah I remember you mentioning some other things about him too. :
hehe Yeah....that.

I know I made the right decision. I didn't need a Dr making me second guess myself. Especially a Dr that doesn't practice evidence based medicine ifun ya know what I mean....
#65 of 97 Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 PM

There's nothing like watching the doctor end the appointment as quickly as possible when you tell her you are going to have a homebirth (my OB), and then getting the pi** off until after you deliver and then for 6 weeks after letter in the mail. The only reason I ever went back to her for anything was because she'd done my surgery for cervical dysplasia and I just wanted to have one more pap smear with her since she knew better the areas I'm prone to it at.

My family doctor was actually more interested in the homebirth when we took DD in the first week (she was bruised some from the birth, the midwife wanted it checked just to be sure). I'm going to miss him when I move, but not the OB!
#66 of 97 Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 PM

Yep

How were your midwives?

I've gone to the Community Midwives of Hamilton for both my pgs.

#67 of 97 Old 06-13-2006, 09:23 PM

I, too, had a homebirth last summer for our first. The midwives were impressed when they finally came over for the delivery and they thought I wasn't even in labor but I was found to be six centimeters dilated! I know I wouldn't have liked being in a hospital environment for a birth. After our son was born we knew four other couples who had babies, one a homebirth and three c-sections at the hospital. In our town the hospital has a forty percent c-section rate and last year they banned VBAC so they will be doing even more! If you ask me the hospitals really want to maximize their profits. (Nothing against necessary c-sections.)
Andi

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#68 of 97 Old 06-13-2006, 09:24 PM

I had my first and second and third all at home.

It was simply wonderful all three times.

After the birth of our first dh said he would never want to have a baby in the hospital. Home is so relaxing and comfortable.

I have a number of friends who had their first at home, and have no regrets.
#69 of 97 Old 06-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
Yep

How were your midwives?

I've gone to the Community Midwives of Hamilton for both my pgs.
I went with the Hamilton Midwives down on John St because of location mostly. Come on I lived in Beasley. LOL I had Margret Trourizrar and Andriea Situm.

Andriea and Sandra were at my birth though, Margret was on vacation.

lol She came back the day after I gave birth. How's that irony for ya?
#70 of 97 Old 06-14-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teewa
Why not a birth center? Just wondering, since that is an option I'm seriously considering now.

Thanks for the input
Tara

My midwife says that in most birth centers, you have to be:

- not too big, not too small
- no high nor low blodd pressure
- not thin, not fat
- no breech baby
- not too young, not too old
- etc, etc......

because some of them do not want to adapt to your special circumstance....

obviously, it depends but in my area, it is like that

that being said, my mother delivered me and my sister in a birth center and we were both breech babies, so......

I know some birth centres where you can choose on your "big" day whether you feel like staying at home and the midwife comes to you or whether you'd rather drive to the birth centre (well, be driven I shall say.....).

At first, I thought of a birth centre for this pregnancy (my first) but then I just thought why make it complicated? Transfers are fast whether you are at home or at the birth centre anyway. And I feel way more comfty at home with my things around me. Besides, I don't want to see any strangers, just my midwife, so home is best.

Good luck to you
#71 of 97 Old 06-14-2006, 08:39 PM

Both of my children were born at home. My first child's birth was a very positive experience and was better than my second child's birth. You can read the story of my first child's birth here:

http://www.devrock.5u.com/whats_new.html

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#72 of 97 Old 06-14-2006, 08:58 PM

You can read my birth story in the link in my signature

I had a wonderful home water birth with #1

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#73 of 97 Old 06-15-2006, 12:37 PM

Great reminder!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbeline
Truth be told: I had unrealistic expectations about my birth. I read a bunch of gentle birth stories where mamas moan and sway and then deliver and feel like goddesses. I screamed and convulsed and pushed and my first words were, "I'm never doing this again!" But, looking back, I know now that every woman gives birth in her own way...
#74 of 97 Old 06-15-2006, 02:34 PM

Haven't read any of the previous posts...

I had my first and only child at home. We're planning on TTC this summer and will do a home birth again. My SIL had 3 homebirths so it wasn't a foreign concept to me but I was still planning on doing a natural birth in a hospital until I took a childbirth preparation class. Then I switched to homebirth. I was in labor for 2 days and would have had a CS for sure if I was in the hospital.
#75 of 97 Old 06-19-2006, 12:32 PM

I had all four of my children at home. The first wasn't a good experience, not because it was a homebirth, but because the midwife was the controlling type, and I didn't fit her image of what a laboring woman should behave like. It was a long difficult labor, and I'm very sure that if I had been in the hospital it would have been a c-sec, because they would have been even more restrictive in terms of what would be considered "normal". So despite the problems with the midwife, I'm very thankful I was able to do it at home.
#76 of 97 Old 06-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Banned

I had a HB with my first! Well, I ended up with a hosp. transfer, but I sure attempted it. Wasn't anything serious, just my water was broke for an extended period of time and my MW made me go to the hosp. after a couple days. Now I find out that there are MW out there that wouldn't have forced me to go to the hosp. Try to find a MW with lots of experience. Make sure you have a yoga ball to roll on during contractions, try to labor in water; it's great! Read as much as you can (Birthing From Within, The Birth Book, Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way and more), Check this out: http://www.freebirth.com/ That site has loads on info on natural childbirth. I used did hypnobirthing, it helped me a lot (Hypnosis for a Joyful and Pain Free Pregnancy)!

Good for you for having the strength and courage to consider a homebirth! You can do it!
#77 of 97 Old 06-19-2006, 11:15 PM

I had my first baby at home last June. You can read my birth story here.

Molly, mom to three homebirthed girly girls: Lila 6/05, Nellie 12/07, and Lucy 1/11

#78 of 97 Old 06-30-2006, 01:11 PM

We're expecting our first baby in 3-4 weeks, and about 3 weeks ago we switched to a home birth. I think I had always WANTED to do a homebirth, but sort of said "oh, I'll wait till my second child". but as we became more educated (awesome Bradley instructor) and started asked specific questions at the birth center where we were (with a team of CNMs), I started getting really unhappy. So at 34 weeks I started shopping around, and now have a wonderful midwife due for a homebirth. I can't imagine having to do it any other way, now!
#79 of 97 Old 06-30-2006, 11:46 PM

Hi batsoup, I'm planning to HB #1 in August & am near Philly too! Are your midwives from Woman Wise? They're mine. I can't wait!
#80 of 97 Old 06-30-2006, 11:52 PM

I have one baby. born at home. I prolly should post her story here sometime........

short version:
10.5 hours. in the shower, midwife came in, I stood up, she 'fell' out. just me, my husband, and my midwife. it was great.
#81 of 97 Old 07-01-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife
Hi batsoup, I'm planning to HB #1 in August & am near Philly too! Are your midwives from Woman Wise? They're mine. I can't wait!
Yes, they are! That's great! I know, I'm so excited too! Feel free to email me privately (batsoup@ comcast.net) -- i've been looking for other first-time moms in Philly!
#82 of 97 Old 07-01-2006, 11:43 AM

I had both of my children at home. In retrospect, I would have been stronger with my midwife and written a birth plan the first time around.

For example, we did no VE's, etc but she forgot that I said no doptone and whipped it out when I was in transition--in retrospect I was very upset, also she brought out a mirror when the baby was crowning, which was SO distracting and "supported" the fundus while waiting for the placenta (ow!) and chatted with the doula (annoying!). However, this is nothing compared to typical hospital protocol and I am soooooooooooooooooo thankful not to have been in a hospital. Even at a birthing center (had I not been dropped earlier for refusing all their multitudes of tests), I may have been risked out due to having my first contraction over 12 hours after my water broke.

In interviewing midwives I think it's a danger sign when they praise Ina Mae Gaskin's works too much--they tend to make birth more about the midwife than about the mother. however, that's just my preference--I have read that some people prefer to be directed and have several midwives present.
#83 of 97 Old 07-01-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsoup
Yes, they are! That's great! I know, I'm so excited too! Feel free to email me privately (batsoup@ comcast.net) -- i've been looking for other first-time moms in Philly!
I used K from women wise as well and I just ADORE her!!!! C wasnt with her then I dont believe. I ended up deciding at 38wks to UC instead but she is def and awesome midwife , I know I would have had a great birth with her
#84 of 97 Old 07-05-2006, 07:21 AM

I had a home waterbirth with #1. I was the only one of all my friends and family to do it, so there was a lot of anxiety around that. People seemed worried if something went wrong during the birth, whether or not a hospital transfer would go well. (I did not have any complications and it was great!) Now, I'm planning #2, but I am trying to get my insurance company to give me a cross border referral to my midwife, so that I can have another home waterbirth. This time, there is more support from family and friends since the first time went well.

Good luck!
#85 of 97 Old 07-05-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskf
I had a home waterbirth with #1. I was the only one of all my friends and family to do it, so there was a lot of anxiety around that. People seemed worried if something went wrong during the birth, whether or not a hospital transfer would go well.
This was why I initially decided against a homebirth ( that and not understanding the legal status of CPMs in Pennsylvania, which made me nervous) -- but I am SO glad to have made the switch and wish I had perservered earlier!
#86 of 97 Old 07-06-2006, 02:39 PM

Our first (and only so far) was born at home. Our midwives lived an hour away in normal weather, but dd was born in a snowstorm, so they were 1 1/2 hours away. I'm glad I planned a homebirth, because she was born in a quick 3 hour labor. The midwives barely made it, I was already pushing, and the only thing that held off the birth was panting and lying down. If we had planned a hospital birth, an hour away in the snow, she would have been born in the middle of a snowstorm in the car.

My homebirth was empowering, and being able to snuggle in my own bed afterwards was just what I needed. There was no stress about leaving, or getting in a car. It was wonderful, and I'll do it again and again!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#87 of 97 Old 07-07-2006, 12:00 AM

I had both my girls at home. Here's how a first birth is the same at home as at the hospital:

Long labor and birth
Suprised by the pain
So glad when it's over

Other than that, it's a world of difference. I just KNOW I would have had a c-section in the hospital with my first due to a very long labor and needing to give birth in an odd position due to interference from my public bone. So, homebirth was definitely best for me.

Having said that, more importantly to me, is the respect and excellent, gentle care given to both my girls by their midwives. Instead of being tossed about, rubbed and cleaned immediately, injected, poked and prodded under bright lights by cold handed strangers, both my girls were handled gently by warm, loving, respectful hands telling them what was going on every step of the way and took all the time that was necessary. That to me, is worth pushing through any fears you have about homebirth.

It's not just women that deserve homebirth, it's children.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#88 of 97 Old 07-07-2006, 04:39 AM

my best advice to any woman is to read ina mays guide to childbirth until you know it by heart. it really puts the birthing process into perspective.

for me there was never even a thought about going to a hosp! even though i had 3 miscarriages before my dd was born, i knew that i would not need a hosp staff to give birth.

it was the best experience of my LIFE! i remember telling my mw during labor that i sounded like a singing whale underwater...........the sounds they make are beautiful!

most family and friends thought i was crazy: ....... but i've never really cared what other people think.i knew it was the best thing i could do for my child and my future health.

it also helped that i watched my mother give birth to my sister at home with a mw when i was 10. i cut her uc and held her right after my mom did. homebirth just seemed like the right thing to do!
#89 of 97 Old 07-07-2006, 09:10 AM

I agree that our homebirth with DS remains the highlight of my life, and I reflect back on it often. My midwife was so great, and I trusted her completely so my labor was fast. It was really intense, though. It was a waterbirth, which I am sure helped me to relax. Also, I never consciously had to push -- my body just sort of took over.

This time, I am going to give Hypno a try. I would like to be more present at the birth. The first was *so* intense, I think I travelled a little further in my brain than I wanted to. It is hard to remember parts of it, so I am very happy that we have a great video from the tripod that DH set up. DS (now three) has seen his own birth and he just loves it. It's interesting that the extreme intensity (and pain) that I experienced so does not come across on the video. My vocalizations are just low and growly -- different than I how I imagined them to sound. I plan for DS to be in the house for this birth and if the intensity becomes too much, his caretaker (my neighbor) can take him to her house.

I highly recommend HB for number one.

ETA: I am pregnant, due in January. Perfect example of pregnancy brain!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#90 of 97 Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 AM

I had a homebirth my first time and I wouldn't have it any other way. Most mom's I've talked to have had a negative hospital experience before they research and discover homebirth options. I was there at a friends hospital birth and learned from her experience that that was not what at all what I wanted for my birth. Life is to short to learn from your mistakes alone, learn from others as well. If your pregnancy is going well and all seems well, go for a homebirth!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page