Homebirth with #1? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 07-22-2006, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first baby was born on the 5th of July at home in water and it rocked! It's great to have a good birth for the first one and not be damaged by episiotomy and all... I didn't tear and didn't loose too much blood so the recovery isn't too hard.
I strongly encourage homebirth for the first one.
My husband was very happy (he didn't know about homebirth before I got pregnant and is now a strong advocate).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 97 Old 07-22-2006, 07:17 PM

I got talked out of homebirthing my first by well meaning family members (this was way different from the norm for them). I went to childbirth classes with homebirthing MWs, but had a HORRIBLE hospital birth. The only hospital MW in town had lost her privileges at the hospital due to stupid bureaucratic nonsense, so she couldn't really care for me or anything. 52 HOURS of Labor, inconsistent nursing care (some good, some not-so-good), Drugs, etc. I SO wish I'd had her at home. My little man was born at home this April and what a difference! I can't even put into words how much better the whole experience was. I am prone to pretty severe postpartum depression and this time around, it was so manageable. Now, some of that may be to this being my second child, but I really think I bonded so much better because no one took my baby away or talked to me like they knew what was better for my baby than I did. Like any new mommy needs people eroding her confidence minutes after birth!

I think first time moms are a bit more anxious because it's so unknown and it's hard to relax and that can make labors longer. In my opinion, unless you have strong support, first time mommies are more prone to being swayed by well-meaning naysayers. And to those moms who withstood the advice and criticism and still had their first at home, more power to you! I still regret that I wasn't able to give my daughter the same wonderful birth experience her brother had. :
#93 of 97 Old 07-23-2006, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanny1460
My first baby was born on the 5th of July at home in water and it rocked! It's great to have a good birth for the first one and not be damaged by episiotomy and all... I didn't tear and didn't loose too much blood so the recovery isn't too hard.
I strongly encourage homebirth for the first one.
My husband was very happy (he didn't know about homebirth before I got pregnant and is now a strong advocate).

Yay! Congrats! I've been wondering how things went!

I just had my second baby, and second homebirth on June 23rd, it was just as awesome as the first!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#94 of 97 Old 07-24-2006, 09:36 AM

Just browsing and happened upon this thread! I had a homebirth with #1 (and only so far!). Hospitals and others making decisions about the health of myself and my baby scare me FAR more than hb. So many people comment on how brave I was but someone putting a needle in my spine is one of the scariest ideas I've heard of!

Anyway, I expected to go 2-4 wks over as this is common in my family. 12 days before my due date, my water broke. No contractions. There was meconium in the water (not super thick but definitely more than just staining). I was so scared that the mw would tell me to go to the hosp. But 90 min later my contractions started at 2 min apart and very strong. MW came and checked me at 3 cm. 45 min extremely intense minutes later, I was fully dilated and pushing. This was the hardest part as I pushed for 3 hrs and had some horrific back labor. DS was born 8 hrs after my water broke, 6.5 hrs after contractions started. It went very smoothly though all that pushing with little progress made me glad mw was there to verify that all was well. (I had considered UC.) I was blessed with a short and fast moving labor. Perhaps staying home instead of changing environments helped to keep it moving along.
#95 of 97 Old 08-03-2006, 01:57 PM

I had my first at home 2 months ago, and it was awesome. It was so peaceful, and calm - not chaotic and dramatic like so many hospital births. You can read my birth story at www.tynerfamily.freehomepage.com
click on "birth story"

Good luck to you!
#96 of 97 Old 08-03-2006, 04:53 PM

my only child was born at home.

it was a wonderful, uneventful experience.

many years ago i met a midwife (who ended up being my midwife) who said "babies are birthed, pizzas are delivered."

i knew that that i wanted to be in charge and fully empowered at my birth, something that i believe, for me, could only happen at home.

now we are planning birth number 2 at home, even though it's more complicated now.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#97 of 97 Old 08-03-2006, 11:04 PM

I had my first at home 16 years ago. I also had my next six at home.

The only thing that makes my first stand out from the rest is that I had the old "hospital" procedure type birth. Meaning delivered flat on my back and had no food or drink and was told when to push. I had never heard of all the wonderful birthing options then, just did what I was told. NOW, I know better!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page