Homebirth with #1? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2006, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forgive me if there is a thread somewhere out there that already addresses this question, but I'm so curious.

I have read a lot of awesome homebirth stories here @ MDC along with many posts about people planning homebirths with their current pregancies. Almost all of them are 2nd or 3rd or 4th (etc) births and I don't see much about mommas having their 1st birth @ home.

Any mommas out there that have had positive homebirth experiences w/ #1? I'm very open to hearing about the negative experiences too.

Just trying to get an idea about what birthing #1 at home might be like.

Thanks!
Tara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 12:37 AM

Welcome! I had a homebirth with my dd- my first (and currently only) SOOOOO glad. For assorted reasons the birth would have been a train wreck in the hospital, most likely leading to an un-needed section. Instead it was peaceful and quiet.

-Angela
Old 06-05-2006, 12:44 AM

I had my first at home just three weeks ago. It was wonderful. I think some women are motivated by bad first experiences to go looking for alternatives. I was lucky: a family member of mine had several homebirths. I also had bad hospital experiences not birth related that helped me realize I defnitely didn't want to be in a hospital.

I cannot imagine my birth happening without major interventions in a hospital. I had back labor due to posterior and asynclitic presentation. It was very painful but even then and especially in retrospect I felt so supported and safe and secure that I was never really overwhelmed by labor or by pain (well, not for more than two or three minutes). It was wonderful.

I can't wait to do it again.

There are a few books out there that suggest that first baby is a reason to eschew homebirth. This is nuts. Sure, there are a few circumstances that make homebirth more predictable for second time and later moms, and first time moms *in general* have a higher transfer rate, but personally I didn't see the need to have a miserable first birth to prove I could do it. And besides, I wasn't interested in having my second birth be an HBAC just because I went to the hospital for my first.

Link to my birth thread. I posted a couple of times when I was in labor, and then a brief birth story a couple hours afterwards.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:53 AM

I planned a home birth with #1 and wound up in a hospital transfer. I did not have consistent labor (or really much labor at all) almost 2 days after my water broke, which was beyond the boundaries of what my midwife felt was safe (we had tried a number of natural remedies to get it kick started and they didn't work).

I think that the failure of my homebirth was largely related to an unspoken trust issue that I had with my midwife. I will know better about trusting my instincts next time. I plan to homebirth with any future children, as I really believe that babies are supposed to be born at home.

I also wanted to add that I think that the prenatal care that you get with a good homebirth midwife is spectacular and is so far superior to what you would get with an OB or even many nurse midwives. Even if I planned a hospital birth with future children, I'd do all prenatal care with a homebirth midwife, it was that great. I am convinced that I would have wound up on bedrest with preeclampsia and probably a c-section if I had been involved in the medical management of my pregnancy. With my midwife's excellent care, I was able to maintain a healthy blood pressure throughout my pregancy and delivery, despite horrific swelling and obesity.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally'smom
I also wanted to add that I think that the prenatal care that you get with a good homebirth midwife is spectacular and is so far superior to what you would get with an OB or even many nurse midwives.
ITA. I think this has got to be a huge additional benfit for a first time mom. I had dual care with a CNM/OB practice bc I wanted a few tests my midwife doesn't do. I ended up having a couple minor medical issues that the CNM prescribed things for--every time I called the CNM I was talking to a stranger and maybe I might get a call back from someone relaying the CNM's opinion to me. There was no access. Prenatals were very brief. This was fine sinc eI was only seeing her for testing but she did the regualr prenatal stuff--just at light speed.

As a first time mom especially the homebirth midwives were wonderful. We started putting together my labor notes at my first visit and worked on it for eight months--working out all the things that I might want to need. None of the whole trying to write a birth plan at some point; we spent the whole pregnancy talking about labor and birth and pregnancy and nursing--whatever occurred to me and tha tI needed to talk about.

It was wonderful.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:06 AM

me me me!! It was AWESOME - don't cheat yourself the first time around!!
Old 06-05-2006, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed
I had my first at home just three weeks ago. It was wonderful. I think some women are motivated by bad first experiences to go looking for alternatives.
I think that happens a lot, too. I felt like my first was just as important as my last, so I'd do it right... at home.

I often say that an intact perineum is one of the best gifts I've ever given myself. It's true though. Choosing homebirth for me first was GREAT for my baby and SOOOO great for me.

Here's a link to my long birth story about my first birth.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=Jude

Then just in case you feel the urge... links to my 2nd & 3rd homebirth.
Cicely's birth with pregnancy pictures http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=123213
Joie's FAST birth http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=381975

Many blessings to you, you wise woman to choose homebirth for your first. It's a great blessing for you, your baby & your partner.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:12 AM

we birthed at home with our first and are planning to birth at home with this next one, too. i couldn't imagine denying any of our children the right to be born at home simply because of birth order.

born under the bed: the birth poem of marek is the laboring and birthing story of our son.

~claudia
Old 06-05-2006, 01:19 AM

I birthed at home with all my children. I think it's a wonderful choice for first-time moms!

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

Old 06-05-2006, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

This is all so awesome and encouraging. THANK YOU. Keep 'em comin'. I've loved going to your birth story links.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:55 AM

i had an unassisted homebirth wih my first.
Everything went smoothly and baby is quite healthy and about to turn 2 in the fall!

Don't cheat your firstborn! It's the only birth that baby will ever get!

CPST
Old 06-05-2006, 01:56 AM

I can think of very very very very very few reasons not to have a baby at home. And none of them include what # baby it is.

I had both my boys at home.

My second child was born with an undiagnosed birth defect. Had he been born in the hospital, I believe that either he or I would have died...due to various complications we had that were not complications at home...but would have been in the hospital. I have had neurologists and lawyers say to me that they have never heard of a baby born in such good shape given all of his various problems. He was hospitalized at 5 days old.

After having spent so much time with him in the hospital, and we're talking 15+ admissions in his 2 years of life so far.... I would not have a baby anywhere other than home unless there was a very very very very very good reason to be in the hospital.

Hospitals are for sick people.

mv
Old 06-05-2006, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Had my first at home at the end of April.

It was wonderful. The prenatal care was incredible, and the care at the birth and after was amazing.

I am pretty sure if I had her in the hospital, there would have been interventions - or at least a conversation with the OB that would have scared me. There is something to be said for trusting yourself, and not having every single piece of information that every machine can give you.

DD is happy and healthy and I can't imagine birthing anywhere else unless it was medically necessary. I truly think homebirth is the way to go.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 06-05-2006, 03:07 AM

I so WISH that I had had a homebirth with my first!!
My second I will definately!!
Old 06-05-2006, 03:23 AM

Waiting to birth my first babe at home ANY day now! I'll let you know how it goes but it has been sooo wonderful having a midwife who has complete trust in the birthing process, which has helped me know I can do it!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:23 AM

I had the same concern as the OP. I kept reading birth story after birth story that was a 2nd, 3rd etc. birth. So, I made my midwife tell me how many of her clients in the past year had been first-time moms and how it went for each of them. I know, it was a little obsessive of me, but it made me feel better.

I had my great big son at home and I have no regrets! None! Even though there were some complications, I have never wished I had chosen otherwise. I am convinced that had I been in our local hospital (even with a great O.B.) I would have ended up with a C-section. The prenatal and post-partum care that my midwives provided were stellar and my labor and birth were amazing! I felt like superwoman and my son is a healthy 2 year old today.

I say, if you want to birth at home, then go for it!

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

Old 06-05-2006, 04:38 AM

I had my first (and currently only) baby at home. If I had been in the hospital, I probably would have had been forced to have a c/s because I didn't go into labor within 24 hours of my water breaking. I had a 12 hour labor, with 30 minutes of pushing. Through labor I was free to move around, try different positions, encouraged to eat and drink (although I couldn't keep anything down), get in and out of the tub. My midwives were incredible.

My birthstory can be read here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=315963
Old 06-05-2006, 08:32 AM

I just had my first baby at home and it was perfect. Everything about the birth was better than I had ever imagined.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally'smom
I also wanted to add that I think that the prenatal care that you get with a good homebirth midwife is spectacular and is so far superior to what you would get with an OB or even many nurse midwives. Even if I planned a hospital birth with future children, I'd do all prenatal care with a homebirth midwife, it was that great.
While I wasn't able to have a homebirth with #1 (he decided 29 weeks was a great time to come), I received such excellent care from my homebirth midwife, that my son was big for his age and did incredibly well in the NICU - home at 33w3d gestation with no monitors or anything - perfectly healthy. That's because my midwife was always keeping up with my nutrition.

I'm seeing an OB and the same midwife this time around, and there is such a HUGE difference in care. I love my OB, but frankly, prenatals with him are USELESS. I'm only doing them because if I'm preterm again, I want HIM in the hospital, and not the teaching group I got assigned to last time. My midwife does so much more during prenatals - talks about things that are going on in my life, talks about what I want in my birth, talks about nutrition, etc, etc.

But I absolutely recommend homebirth for #1!!!! Many women don't find out about homebirth until they've had a horrible hospital experience with a previous baby. You can help avoid that by staying at home to begin with, unless there's a problem that truly requires a hospital. As a PP said, hospitals are for sick people. In my case, yes, I needed a hospital. But most first time moms can go full term and have healthy babies at home. Go for it!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 06-05-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL
I am pretty sure if I had her in the hospital, there would have been interventions - or at least a conversation with the OB that would have scared me. .
YES me too! And congrats on your lil babe, Adina!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:13 AM

I had both my boys at home. I'm sure #1 would have ended up with some sort of unnecessary unwanted interventions near the end in a hospital only because I spent 3 1/2 hours pushing him out! He and I were both fine though, no problems at all, it's just that I hate the "clock" that they put women on in hospitals. I'm so glad I chose to do it at my own pace at home with a very patient midwife.
(And with #2 I doubt I would have made it to the hospital it went so fast, so you never know!)
I loved being at home after my births, but the first one especially. It was so comfy being in my own bed with only my husband and the midwife and her assistant there to help afterwards. I'm also sure I wouldn't have gotten the "absolute silence" I needed to birth comfortably had I not been at home.
Getting ready for #3 at home in 7-12 weeks!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 06-05-2006, 11:34 AM

My first was a HB, a late decision I made at 30w! It was the best decision I ever made.

Truth be told: I had unrealistic expectations about my birth. I read a bunch of gentle birth stories where mamas moan and sway and then deliver and feel like goddesses. I screamed and convulsed and pushed and my first words were, "I'm never doing this again!" But, looking back, I know now that every woman gives birth in her own way, I in particular was dealing with reliving my own birth trauma from my mother's awful hospital experience, and if I had been in a hospital there is no doubt that I would have been a c-sec. It was a fast and furious 4hr labor, and it became the most emotionally and spiritually healing experience of my life.

Not only did I do it again, but I'm about to have a THIRD homebirth! There's nothing like it on earth

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
Old 06-05-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teewa
Forgive me if there is a thread somewhere out there that already addresses this question, but I'm so curious.

I have read a lot of awesome homebirth stories here @ MDC along with many posts about people planning homebirths with their current pregancies. Almost all of them are 2nd or 3rd or 4th (etc) births and I don't see much about mommas having their 1st birth @ home.

Any mommas out there that have had positive homebirth experiences w/ #1? I'm very open to hearing about the negative experiences too.

Just trying to get an idea about what birthing #1 at home might be like.

Thanks!
Tara
I had my #1 at home (waterbirth) and had a very positive experience. I started out seeing an OBGYN and planning a hospital birth, but DH and I were not happy with the impersonal care I was getting - the dr. basically treated us like we knew NOTHING and every time she talked to us it sounded like it was a speech she said to every patient. My sister had a homebirth that I was there for and was very impressed with her midwife. After talking with the midwife, we switched to her care and was very happy with it. I figured if my sister could do it, so could I I am pregnant with #2 now and couldn't imagine giving birth in a hospital. It is such a personal experience, I only want people around me that I know and want to be in a familiar environment. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:42 PM

I had my first at home.It was a long labor and I definately would have been sliced open in the hospital.But it was definately not needed.It was long but it was great and my daughter was born healthy.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:53 PM

My first was born at home. It was the best experience of my life. All the rest to follow will be born at home, too.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:03 PM

With my first we were going to have a birth center birth. It was nice & homey feeling with great built-in birth tubs with jets. Seemed like just as good an option as home.

Well, we risked out for ruptured membranes with no labor (no contrax, no dilation or effacement almost 24 hours later) and ended up in the hospital.

My naturalpathic doctor said to me that the practitioner you choose leads to the birth you have. In retrospect, I think that a direct entry (homebirth) midwife, rather than a certified nurse midwife would have tried some natural induction and if I was at the hospital, would have been more present than my CNM was (the direct entry midwife becomes a doula in case of hospital transfer).

I think that if I had the birth center birth, I may have opted for it again, but there's something different the second time around when the first didn't go 'as planned'. Also, the desire to be home is more this time that we have Noah around.

So as to why some of us are going for a homebirth the second (or more) time around and not the first - personally, I learned a little too slow

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
Old 06-05-2006, 04:10 PM

I WISH I had both my births at home.

As it were, I got "the fear" instilled into me by my original OB. Ended up birthing naturally at a hospital with midwives - but not really happy with the experience, which is why #2 was planned at home.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:17 PM

I had a fabulous, fast, and incredibly empowering home birth with my first and am planning another with my next, due in October. Here's my birth story: http://www.birthandparenting.com/birthstories (Scroll to "Your Birth Story, Lucina").

A few thoughts on planning a home birth for the first: It is definitely true that first timers are more likely to transfer to the hospital than those who have given birth vaginally before (every study of planned home birth supports this.) These transfers are most often for slow progress and/or maternal exhaustion and/or need for pain relief. They can be devestating when it is YOUR birth, but they are not emergencies and there is no excess risk for mothers or babes to have started off at home. Plus, the vast majority (at least 80% in most studies) will end up birthing at home. The higher rate of transfer is why some people don't recommend home birth for your first, which I think is ridiculous.

Also, the choice you make for your first can definitely impact the choices you're able to make with your subsequent births. Most notably, you could end up with an unnecessary cesarean which, depending on where you live in the country, could limit your choices next time around to only repeat cesarean in the hospital or unassisted VBAC at home. I'm OK with unassisted birth and know that there are many proponents of this method of birthing, but I don't think anyone should be forced into this decision for lack of other options. It drives me crazy when my friends say that they might consider a home birth (or midwife, or birth center) for their second but they want a hospital/OB for the first.

Good luck making your decision. You can do it!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:36 PM

I have a cousin-by-marriage who had her first, and second, and third all at home.

I chose to have my first at a hospital for 2 reasons: 1) one of my first cousins ended up w/full-blown toxemia and an emergency c-section under a general anesthetic (she didn't want an epidural, and it was an _emergency_ section) with her first. She did not have pre-eclampsia before going in, so it was quite the surprise for everyone. Everyone recovered just fine (and baby is about to graduate from high school!), but the doctors could not explain it coming on so fast. And 2) health insurance would not pay for doula/midwife/complications from homebirth.

After first, we lost our second due a partial abruption during the 2nd trimester. Research and blood tests found a genetic clotting disorder. Guess what? My cousin went and got her bloodwork done, and she has it too--we are related . It is probably what caused her toxemia--or at least contributed. Researchers are still trying to figure this all out, but it also explains other things in our shared family history.

Now, I am a heparin and hospital induction girl. But our third (or second, as most people see it) made it, happy and healthy and sweet and funny!

Sorry this got so long-winded!!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Again, thank you so much, all of you who have contributed to this thread. It has been so wonderful to read about your experiences.

I feel sorry for all the gals out there who are ignorant to their birth options and end up following hospital practioners blindly into decisions that may not have made if they would've known there is BETTER WAY. I feel so blessed to have all this knowledge at my fingertips right now, even before I conceive.

I just spoke with a midwife on the phone this morning and it was such a wonderful conversation. She is only the 2nd midwife I have spoken with at length, but I already feel like I've known her for years! I just had an overwhelming peace while talking to her. She is an older lady who has delivered 700 or so babies. She seems amazingly wise. She has 4 doctorate degrees and has taught at 2 different universities and a school of midwifery.

I know that degrees and various levels of education do not necessarily make a good midwife, but I totally get the feeling this woman knows her stuff! One of her doctorates is in Nutrition, so she has an abundance of knowledge concerning prenatal nutrition. I'm just some stranger that called her out of the blue to ask a few questions and ended up speaking w/ her for an hour about a nutrition plan tailored to my needs. We totally meshed when it comes to spiritual beliefs. She works closely with a doctor in her area who was actually a midwife BEFORE she became a doctor, so if for any reason hospital transfer is necessary, her clients are put in the care of this very mid-wife-friendly natural-health-loving MD.

Wanna hear the down side?
She is located about an hour and half or more away from where I live, and would not be able to come to my home to deliver the baby. BUT she and another midwife have a birth center in her town. She said that many of her clients come from miles away when their due-date is upon them and actually stay in area hotels until it is time to deliver at the birth center (which is a converted house with a very homey atmosphere).

Even though this would not be the home birth I originally wanted, I may be willing to forfeit having my child at home just to have this woman as my midwife. Of course, I would have to drive an hour and a half to each prenatal appointment, but it would be so worth it.

I'm still not ruling out homebirth. I just strongly doubt that things will "click" like this with the other midwives in the area that I might consider interviewing.....especially one with this level of experience. I think birthing at her center would be the next-best thing to having my baby at home.

Are you mad at me? : JK

Your stories and encouragement are not in vain - they have been so instrumental in building up my confidence in the ability of a woman's body to give birth outside of a hospital with very little intervention.

I'd love to hear more about your homebirths w/ #1....and your free-standing birth center experiences as well. :

User Tag List