Herbs for hemmoraging??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2002, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious what herbs others have tried for hemmoraging after giving birth? How did you find they worked? Etc... Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2002, 02:41 PM

My midwife strongly recommends alfalfa for this kind of malady. She is having me take it (2 capsules at 430 mg each at each meal) for the month before I'm due to give birth, in the hopes that it will prevent any possible occurrence of post-birth hemorhaging. She's recommending it because I'm on a low dose of zoloft (25 mg/day) which can thin blood, so the alfalfa is supposed to counteract the effect.

Anyway, as with any suggestion for herbs or medication, I'd double check this with your own doctor or midwife -- best of luck!
Old 01-26-2002, 03:06 AM

We used motherwort and shephard's purse w/ds's birth. I highly recommend Susun Weed's A wisewoman's herbal for the childbearing year. This is where we got all most of our info. and i LOVE the book...goes through like diaper rash, etc. too. If you thinik you are bleeding too much also you can try peeing. An unemptied bladder can get in the way of your uterus contracting down.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:14 PM

I experienced post-partum hemmorage at my homebirth. My MW used by pitocin and methregine, but also used a combinationo of herbs that I believe was called "Womb Stringe" although I could be wrong on the name.

BTW - the above advice on empting your bladder is sound, my MW believes this was my problem. I could not pee for most of my 18 hour labour - I ended up with a catheter and after some HARD external massage and passage of several large clots the bleeding stopped.

Jeanette

User Tag List