Homebirth/ Hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
28 weeks and counting. Having to make a big decision because of finances. I have birthed two other children at home with my wonderful midwife, but this time we are having problems affording her. I am on medicaid so hospital birth means free birth.I am crushed: at the prospect but my husband likes the idea. Welcoming any comments, advice or ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 01:01 PM

Have you considered an OB for prenatal care and then birthing unassisted?

Have you talked about your situation with your midwife to see if you can come to any financial agreements?

Talked to other midwives?

Myself, after birthing at home, I could NEVER go to a hospital barring a true emergency. I'd go unassisted before setting a foot in a hospital. But, you have to do what is comfortable and practical for you.

I hope you find some resolution soon.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:05 PM

would your midwife be able to work out some kind of payment plans with you?
i am so sorry, it is not right women have to make these kinds of choices based on money alone

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 07-12-2006, 01:09 PM

I have btdt and didn't even have medicad. I found a mw who would see me with a very flexible payment plan (meaning I could give her $5 a mos and later on when I had money give her more). I also sold stuff on ebay for her.

Just remember you get what you pay for.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:10 PM

Well, this is such a personal subject. But I can relate to you being in the same situation.
Luckily my doctor who birthed my other child agreed to deliver this one at home. He also works with a midwife so she will be there and I pay her like a doula. My doctor accepts medicaid, but the midwives don't.
Some midwives will allow you to make payment plans, starting before the birth, or continue paying after the birth until it's paid off.
Did you ask your mw if she would be willing to work something out. Ask her for advice, I'm sure she has seen situations like this and could possibly direct you to a practitioner who could work with your finances.
When all options are exhausted...This may be a radical thought but what about unassisted births? since you and your dh have been through 2 homebirths.
These were my thoughts before I had a solution.
It will work out for you. Let us know what happens.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:16 PM

I would never birth in a hospital simply because of money. I would talk to the midwife and see if you can work something out. I would explore UC.

good luck!

-Angela
Old 07-12-2006, 01:26 PM

That's tough. I hope you can come to a peaceful decision.

Namaste, Tara
Old 07-12-2006, 05:22 PM

haveyou talked to your mw? has she birthed your other children? i would see if she couldtrade stuff or work out a payment plan..... i wiuld talk to her
Old 07-12-2006, 05:34 PM

Please consider talking with your mw. Most are not in it solely for the money I can completely empathize w/having no money to afford this. Do you have family to turn to? Items you could sell to raise $?

My first ds was born in the hospital with insurance---total, his birth cost us $5. Of course, due to iatrogenic complications from his birth, he was admitted into the NICU....and those three days cost over $25,000 and were the worst three days of our lives....so, "free" isn't necessarily a *good* thing.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 07-12-2006, 05:37 PM

In my state, North Carolina, homebirth with a CNM is covered by Medicaid through the Health Check/ Health Choice program, which is not limited to NC. Do a search for Health Check/Health Choice in your state and see what you can find. It is more difficult to find CNMs for homebirth in many states, but not impossible. We have had one homebirth with a CNM and are planning another. And both midwives are on the way groovy side, if you know what I mean.

Good luck!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 07-12-2006, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You get what you pay for. A free birth may not cost you any money, but birthing in the hospital will rob you of your power as a birthing mother. Since you are a returning client, I bet your midwife would take a payment plan. Mine is being very lenient and is givng us 2 years to pay her off.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
but birthing in the hospital will rob you of your power as a birthing mother.
I have to say, I understand totally that in many cases the above quote can be true. But, I have been to some wonderful births in the hospital is well. It all depends on if you have a practice with low interventions (ie low c/s rate) and respectful, flexible care. We are lucky enough around here (but granted it is the only hospital out of quite a few I could recommend) to have two practitioners who have a 5 and 8 % c/s rate and one of them takes call for their clients, so you know you will get her...just like a hb midwife.

Anyway, my point is that if you have heard of a good option in the hospital it might be worth checking out if you can't work something out with your midwife or you are not interested in uc.

Best of luck! Paige
Old 07-13-2006, 12:06 AM

Totally talk to your mw and if payment arrangements can't be done, truely concider a UC! You've done it at home before, you know how things work I hope things work out well for you

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Old 07-13-2006, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all the responses, this is my first time posting a new thread and it really helps!!
Here's more info: my midwife did offer two years to pay her back, but my husband still likes the idea of a "free birth" and after our tour of the hospital he felt like it wouldn't be so bad, I of course felt worse after touring the hospital because I dont even like being there on a normal day let alone when I am in labor! I am pretty determined not to give birth in a hospital but I have to convince my husband how important it is to me, to me its way worth the money( and it really isnt that much money)
Old 07-13-2006, 01:36 AM

Ask him how he'd feel if you were cut (either section, episiotomy...) for no other reason than they were in a hurry. Ask him how he'd feel if they kept your baby from you in the nursery or nicu for hours or days. Ask him how he'd feel if you or your baby picked up a serious infection. Ask him how he'd feel if your breastfeeding relationship was damaged (formula is more expensive than a midwife)

etc etc etc

-Angela
Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM

I had a homebirth with a CNM in WI who takes Medicaid. Different states have different Medicaid rules. Unfortunately I don't know how things work in MI.

I have had a hospital birth. There is no way I would have a hospital birth without a doula. If you feel that way too, that takes away the option of the hospital birth being free.

You might also want to talk to your DH about how different newborn procedures are in a hospital environment. I had a really good hospital birth, but it was still a much harsher introduction to the world than my homebirthed baby received. After my homebirthed baby was born we all crawled into bed without our shirts on and had skin-to-skin time with our new baby. You can't do that in a hospital with the lack of privacy and the barrage of interruptions and you'll never have those precious first moments again. The Birth Psychology web site has some info about birth trauma/bonding (though a lot of it is in the form of citations of research you would have to go find).

Good luck with working this out.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:23 PM

Who's having the baby? YOU! You can consider your DH's feelings, but ultimately, you should be making the decision where you want to give birth.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Old 07-13-2006, 07:34 PM

Perhaps your relationship with DH is "a bit" unbalanced. Even if it is unintentional, you are considering his needs, at the complete deficit to your own. You have said you want a hb, not hospital. You are birthing. Tell DH when he delivers the next baby, he can choose where he wants to labor.

If this is so financial, find out what the cost of a year of psychiatric counceling will cost you. Quote him this amount. Tell him if you are in the hospital, perhaps everything will end up fine. You could be lucky. Or perhaps things will turn out bad, but acceptabe. Or perhaps things will end up TERRIBLE. If you end up with the traditional route - AROM, pit, epi, cesarean..... then the PPD or PTSD you suffer afterwards will severely affect your relationship with your new babe, him, your other children, not to even mention yourself. Would you even be able to forgive him if this happened? And surely he must be willing to pay the therapy costs, so you can get better and take care of him and his children?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but it just seems so unrealistically unbalanced to me. Esp. considering you have hb twice before. This is not new territory for either of you.
Allison
Old 07-14-2006, 12:28 AM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We're kind of in a similar situation. But one thing is for sure, we're going to find a way to pay for a homebirth before I'll step foot in a hospital to deliver. My DH has even said we'd go unassisted before he'd take me to a hospital. You do get what you pay for. A "free" hospital birth would have so many interventions and other most likely other complications involved, it's not worth it in the end.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Old 07-20-2006, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ok here is where I am standing now, went to the hospital for the tour, and met a possible cnm, and was completely turned off by everything. Everyone says you have more control over your situation in a homebirth, less in a hospital. I realized this is not my issue at all. I dont want to have to be in control while birthing, I JUST WANT TO BE ALLOWED TO BIRTH without anyone messing with me or my child, I feel like I would have to be in control at the hospital making sure things went a certain way, while at home I could just let things happen in their natural course. AND THIS IS SO IMPORTANT TO ME that nothing else matters and its worth having to buckle down and count pennies for a while. So like someone said a few posts ago, I am telling my husband that the next time he gives birth he can chose the location, but for : HOME IS WHERE I WANT TO BE!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 04:52 PM

YAY! Go blissbabies!

I'm sure one way or another it will work out for you. You know what you want, so you'll find a way to have it!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:20 AM

I'm in this situation, too. "Free" (insurance-paid) hospital birth with OB or midwife assisted birth that costs $3700. Ugh. Why should we even be in the position to make a choice? Why won't insurance pay for a midwife? It is so frustrating.

I really do not want a hospital birth but the money is a factor. We need so many things right now -- new roof, new(er) car, etc.

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
Old 07-21-2006, 04:37 PM

You go!
I simply put my foot down with our 3rd after 2 c/s mind you and said, I am having this baby at home!
And now, there is no question with #4 on the way that this one will be born at home, even UC if I had too.
I feel like a few others, I'd rather be at home alone than be in a hospital. My situation would equal a c/s b/c here all prior c/s are now forced c/s with the VBAC BAN in place -- I always think, what if the baby is crowning and coming out, their going to stop you and force a c/s on you??? But I'm not about to find out!
Old 07-22-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissbabies
Ok here is where I am standing now, went to the hospital for the tour, and met a possible cnm, and was completely turned off by everything. Everyone says you have more control over your situation in a homebirth, less in a hospital. I realized this is not my issue at all. I dont want to have to be in control while birthing, I JUST WANT TO BE ALLOWED TO BIRTH without anyone messing with me or my child, I feel like I would have to be in control at the hospital making sure things went a certain way, while at home I could just let things happen in their natural course. AND THIS IS SO IMPORTANT TO ME that nothing else matters and its worth having to buckle down and count pennies for a while. So like someone said a few posts ago, I am telling my husband that the next time he gives birth he can chose the location, but for : HOME IS WHERE I WANT TO BE!!!

Furthermore: Don't let money make the decision for you.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebunny
I'm in this situation, too. "Free" (insurance-paid) hospital birth with OB or midwife assisted birth that costs $3700. Ugh. Why should we even be in the position to make a choice? Why won't insurance pay for a midwife? It is so frustrating.

I really do not want a hospital birth but the money is a factor. We need so many things right now -- new roof, new(er) car, etc.
You do not WANT a hospital birth that do what you want.

It IS frustrating but don't make the decision based on money. Trust me you will not enjoy a new roof or a newer car at the expense of what you want for the birth of your child. Doesn't even compare.

User Tag List