Michigan HBers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 08-22-2006, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there are quite a few of you here. I have seen you.

Can you either post the name of your MW and your experience with them or PM it to me? We are expecting next spring and I would like to start interviewing soon. I know a few but would like to her personal experiences from people who have worked with them. I had a hb last time, but my MWs are now "retired"

TIA
#2 of 35 Old 08-22-2006, 12:17 PM

I use the Birth Place in Taylor and LOVE them. I used them for my last 2 pregnancies (one was an ER birth cause it happened to fast and I didn't feel like giving birth on I275) and the last was a homebirth. I'm seeing them again this pregnancy and planning another homebirth. I'm also hoping to intern with them in the near future. Brigette is the main mw and she has 1 assistant and 1 apprentice. They also have a massage therapist in their office who does pregnancy massages! Gotta love that. I believe you get one free with your package. I highly recommend them!

Where in MI are you located? I've heard some positive things about a place north of Brighton somewhere as well.
#3 of 35 Old 08-22-2006, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Kelly, I live in Plymouth, so not far from pretty much anywhere in AA or Metro Detroit.
#4 of 35 Old 08-22-2006, 06:29 PM

You are VERY close by me. We just moved here from Canton (Canton Center & Palmer area). We are actually only a mile across Michigan Ave off of Belleville Rd. Look into The Birth Place and mention my name. Brigette is great. She is pregnant and due in 4 weeks herself so is only in the clinic on Monday & Thursdays right now. www.thebirthplace.com
#5 of 35 Old 08-27-2006, 10:34 PM

I am in the Grand Rapids area. I used Yolanda Visser (she is listed in the phone book under Birth Song) and Laura Slater was also at the birth since I had twins and needed 2 midwives. I found them on the Find Your Tribe Forum.

Blessed mama of four
::
#6 of 35 Old 08-27-2006, 11:47 PM

Hi Stephanie. (This is Gwen from the Livonia LLL group.) When we had Trevor last year, we used Charlotte Sanchez. I'll either email you or pm you later, but we were happy with her.

I am totally new to these boards, but I thought I recognized the baby in your picture...
#7 of 35 Old 08-28-2006, 04:09 PM

Nancy, I used Laura for my birth a couple of years ago, and will use her for this one, too. She is awesome!
#8 of 35 Old 08-28-2006, 05:29 PM

Hey there - I am 15 weeks and just started working with Linda Healey - love her. I can let you know sometime at the end of Feb. how it all works out. I live in Kazoo though - so it sounds like the birth center might be a better option for time
#9 of 35 Old 08-28-2006, 09:59 PM

ggma, my very best friend used Linda with all 4 of her births and m/c. I tried to get her, but it was too far for her to come. My friend *loved* Linda!
#10 of 35 Old 08-29-2006, 12:31 AM

I used Eileen Denomme, Wendy Pinter and they are now with Christa Bartley.:

I had the most fabulous birth. Eileen and Wendy were both beyond expectation. I have honestly heard really great things about all but 1 local homebirth midwife. Nothing negative about her technique rather her manner and level of professionalism.

Wendy is in White Lake so pretty close to you.
#11 of 35 Old 08-30-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyB
I used Eileen Denomme, Wendy Pinter and they are now with Christa Bartley.:

I had the most fabulous birth. Eileen and Wendy were both beyond expectation. I have honestly heard really great things about all but 1 local homebirth midwife. Nothing negative about her technique rather her manner and level of professionalism.

Wendy is in White Lake so pretty close to you.
I'm not pregnant yet, but I'm talking with Eileen about homebirths. I've had 3 hospital births and now we're thinking about a homebirth. I'm glad you liked her! That makes me so excited!

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#12 of 35 Old 08-31-2006, 07:05 PM

WOW, does Wendy work out of her house? I lived in White Lake with my last birth and my midwife drove from Taylor up there. I didn't realize there was someone closer to me. I wouldn't trade Brigette for the world though now!!
#13 of 35 Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 PM

Stephanie!! Congrats on the little one!

I'd give you my midwife but you probably don't want to come to Traverse, right?

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#14 of 35 Old 08-31-2006, 10:20 PM

oooh Traverse City is one of my favorite places in Michigan! We spent time up there this summer and I LOVE it! I'd come in a heartbeat.
#15 of 35 Old 09-01-2006, 10:21 PM

I have very picky and excessively high expectations and Eileen surpassed them on every mark.

And YES...Wendy does prenatals at her home in White Lake. In fact, I think they do them in THREE different areas throughout the metro area. Totally convenient. I went to a prenatal day (after I already had my daughter) and it was really nice. There were several moms there and they had lots of food. Seemed like a great idea to connect with other like minded moms.
#16 of 35 Old 09-02-2006, 04:19 PM

Well, I would say go with Eileen but that's because I'm apprenticing with her
A lot of midwives do free consults so best thing to do would be to call a few and see who you click with!
You can find some names and numbers on www.birthnetwork.org under mother friendly birth guide.

Christa
#17 of 35 Old 09-03-2006, 12:27 PM

I also went to the birth place and LOVE Bridgett. Adarsa was apprenticing with her at the time and I LOVED her too. In fact dh and I were discussing that we're sad she's not there anymore since we really liked she and Bridgette. They were both at my birth and I loved them both. So don't rule Adarsa out. Everyone clicks with different mws. Adarsa does awesome postpartum massage too.

Shelley
#18 of 35 Old 09-03-2006, 12:45 PM

Stephanie, I just noticed your sig line. I'm so sorry.

Shelley
#19 of 35 Old 09-03-2006, 11:02 PM

Shelley, have you met Jen? Jen is now set up in Brigette's office doing pregnancy massage! She's so incredibly sweet!
#20 of 35 Old 09-03-2006, 11:09 PM

I met Jen. She was there when I was pregnant (my dd was born in December) and I even got a massage from her. I didn't get to know her very well as our schedules were kind of opposite so she wasn't at most of my prenatals or at my birth. But I really liked her. I also got to know Crystal and I really liked her too. I just loved them all!

Shelley
#21 of 35 Old 09-03-2006, 11:18 PM

Hi all....
I had both of my children at home (it seems like sooo long ago!) with Rosalyn Tulip in Ann Arbor....I have lost contact with her over the years..and I think she may have stopped practicing or moved or something. She worked under the name "Family Way Midwifery Care"
and I think sometimes she worked with a woman named Pat Kramer....has anyone on here birthed with either of them?? Know what happened to them?

I have not seen either of their names anywhere and I have looked them up and they seem to have vanished!

We are ttc # 3 right now (number 1 together!) and I soo loved Roz! She was the best midwife ever, IMO! I am really worried about birthing with anyone else at this point! I am really bummed that I cannot birth with her again.
#22 of 35 Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermuma
Hi all....
I had both of my children at home (it seems like sooo long ago!) with Rosalyn Tulip in Ann Arbor....I have lost contact with her over the years..and I think she may have stopped practicing or moved or something. She worked under the name "Family Way Midwifery Care"
and I think sometimes she worked with a woman named Pat Kramer....has anyone on here birthed with either of them?? Know what happened to them?
Pat Kramer is still around and about a year ago, Rosalyn was backing her up.
PM me for Pats number

Christa
#23 of 35 Old 09-05-2006, 01:40 PM

I had Yolanda Visser as well...she was wonderful!!!!!

~ Dana ~ Mommy to Madelyn, Jonas & Hudson & wee one #4 due late Spring!!!
#24 of 35 Old 09-11-2006, 03:06 PM

HI Nancy,

We just moved to the Holland area and are looking for a midwife for our next baby. We had a hb for our daughter 5 months ago (when we lived in IL) and want to have our contact in place for the next child along with some other questions we have post-par. I noticed that you had twins so you had both Laura Slater and Yolanda Visser. I would like to know what your thoughts and feelings were toward these two ladies and what your recommendation would be to us.

Thanks!

Becky
#25 of 35 Old 09-11-2006, 03:12 PM

Holland is beautiful---you are lucky!!! my ancestors immigrated from Holland to Holland MI.
#26 of 35 Old 09-11-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkortman
HI Nancy,

We just moved to the Holland area and are looking for a midwife for our next baby. We had a hb for our daughter 5 months ago (when we lived in IL) and want to have our contact in place for the next child along with some other questions we have post-par. I noticed that you had twins so you had both Laura Slater and Yolanda Visser. I would like to know what your thoughts and feelings were toward these two ladies and what your recommendation would be to us.

Thanks!

Becky
Laura Slater attended my last birth. She was excellent. Very aware of everything going on at the birth, but very hands-off. She would give me suggestions based on what she saw happening, but in a very low-key manner. I really appreciated her ability to maneuver and work around my preferences and needs. Totally supportive of me, very gentle and kind, very down-to-earth, but very professional. I cannot say enough good things about her.

I interviewed Yoland Visser as well. The main reason I didn't choose her was because I felt my personality would work better with Laura. My Dh commented on this, as well. We both felt that Laura would be a better fit for us. The decision was totally a "fit factor", not an issue of competency or professionalism, preparedness, training, or whatever.
#27 of 35 Old 09-12-2006, 01:17 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I would recommend meeting with both of them and seeing who you feel more comfortable with. Both women are extremely experienced and did an excellent job. I owe my successful twin homebirth to both of those ladies. I felt like their personalities were different (although they worked very well together) so that is why it would be a good idea to talk with each of them and share with them exactly what kind of prenatal care you'd like, how you invision your labor and birth, etc.

Blessed mama of four
#28 of 35 Old 09-12-2006, 01:31 AM

What area in Michigan are these midwives? I am trying to find a midwife to attend a twin homebirth (hi Nancymom!), and it looks like Michigan might be our best option. We live about 1 hour for the sarnia/port huron border and 2 hours from the windsor/detroit border...

Do you think there is a midwife that would attend my birth? How much does a midwife cost? (ours are publically funded so I have no clue)
#29 of 35 Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 AM

: Heather! My midwives are in the Grand Rapids area. If you want I can talk to them and see if they would be willing to go to Canada or maybe they know other good midwives in your area. For my twin homebirth it was $3,000 total for everything.

Ok, I just emailed them both and I will let you know when I hear back from them.

Blessed mama of four
#30 of 35 Old 09-12-2006, 01:08 PM

We have appointments scheduled this week to meet individually with each of these ladies. I was just looking for further insight into other women's experiences with them.

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page