Freestanding birth center vs. hospital birth center - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-18-2006, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm planning a homebirth, but I'm just wondering about this. My mom suggested I have my baby at a birth center. I told her there weren't any where I live. She seemed really surprised, then said, "You mean there isn't one hospital with a birth center in your area?"

I thought that was funny, but it got me thinking. What are the differences between a free standing birth center and a hospital birth center?
#2 of 8 Old 11-18-2006, 09:38 PM

The birth center at the hospital DD was born at is just...L&D with a different name. They were IV and epidural happy. They made me be on the monitor for 30 mins before I could get in the tub. The FSBC around here does not do IVs (unless GBS+), epidurals are out of the question and they monitor heart tones by doppler.

BTW, When I was in the postpartum room, I heard 2 nurses talking outside my room, and apparently out of the 6 of us total in that wing, I was the only one that had a vaginal birth.

CPST & mom

#3 of 8 Old 11-18-2006, 09:41 PM

I prefer free standing birth centers because the only energy they have in them is birth and calm energy...hospitals are full of frantic and sick energy...not very conducive to a calm birthing environment, IMO.
#4 of 8 Old 11-19-2006, 12:50 AM

I used a freestanding for DD and it was very low key, quiet, non-hospital like, etc. My sister used a hospital BC, it was a little to 'hospital-ly' for me. She had her own room, double bed, jacuzzi, etc. She didn't have a problem w/ the nurses pushing interventions, she had a doula, and had a very calm natural hypno-birth. I think a hospital BC would be better than a regular hospital birth, but you would have to ask lots of questions before you made assumptions about the care you would receive.
#5 of 8 Old 11-19-2006, 03:06 AM

MOST (perhaps all?) so-called "hospital birth center"s are NOT, NOT, NOT
birthing centers.
All it is is a NAME for the labor and delivery floor. Seriously. Not any different at all from a hospital L&D ward that is called L&D, or "family beginnings" or any other such name..

A freestanding birth center is a midwife-run, low-intervention, natural-birth oriented facility. Generally staffed purely by midwives (with OB backup depending on state laws), and generally only for women with low-risk pregnancies. Discharge tends to be 2-12 hours after the baby is born. Completely different that a hospital birth.

CPST
#6 of 8 Old 11-19-2006, 12:54 PM

My local hospital is opening a "birth center" next year. It's just a marketing ploy. They are renovating, adding tubs (for labor only, you can't birth in them). The same doctors and nurses will be there as in the current L&D ward - cause they are just renovating, not actually changing anything they do.

Birth is a lucrative industry, and my hospital is trying to get more money from the local populace.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#7 of 8 Old 11-19-2006, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The hospital near me, I'm in a rural area is it is the only hospital for 50+ miles, ONLY has a "birthing center". So it's just L and D with a different name.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 8 Old 11-19-2006, 01:39 PM

a FSBC is basically a place for women to birth, away from home and away from a hospital. AWAY from a hospital. thats a big one.

i have long labors. always over 30 hours. period. if i were in a BC attached a hospital, i woulld have been transferred. period. if the ppl in my FSBC were the hospital ppl, i would have had another c/s. period.

there is nothing in a FSBC that the mw's dont bring to home births (at least not in mine). she had oxygen. and a few drugs (dont konw what they were..they were for emergencies..she never used them on me and later told my dh that at one point she got nervous taht i wasnt progressing...but she hung in there with me).

a BC attached to a hospital is NOT a BC IMHO>

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page