WOW! I'm suprised this is a Mothering article! Crummy! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 12-11-2006, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Most of the "reasons not to choose homebirth" are actually "reasons you might have to work your off to be able to have a homebirth"
:

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 12-11-2006, 01:09 PM

I had the same thought about The Farm - but just figured maybe there was another, less famous, "birthing center" in Iowa. I googled for it, and it doesn't exist. As we all knew, The Farm is indeed in Tennessee, and there is no such place in Iowa.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#33 of 40 Old 12-11-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
it's good for them to know they might not be able to find a homebirth attended under XYZ circumstances. Telling them, "You can still have a UC" isn't helpful if they are really uncomfortable with the idea of UC.
I thought the problem was that the article listed those circumstances under "Reasons not to have a Homebirth" instead of "Circumstances under which it may be difficult to find attendant for your Homebirth". I think it would actually be helpful to at least mention UC because, like homebirth, the possibility doesn't cross the mind of most women.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#34 of 40 Old 12-11-2006, 06:07 PM

I am simply shocked that this came from Mothering. I understand this article doesn't say, "You can't have a hb if..." But its pretty close. Hb isn't for everyone but they are making it sound like hb is rarely for anyone.

Renting or Subleasing for not a reason to hb? : That right there excludes at least 30% of people most of which are young (homeownership increases with age, and the highest rate is 80% and thats for those over 60 and I doubt many of them are having babies).

Bleeding during pg? They didn't say what part so I guess that means even in the first trimester when 20-30% of women experience bleeding. Seems like we are trying to widdle away at the percentage of women who can hb.

No vbac? I know alot of women who choose hb because they can't find a dr or hospital willing to take on a vbac. We should be encouraging these women where to find someone who will - not shut another door in their face.

I have heard said that you shouldn't choose a hb simply because of finances. Well I would turn that around and say you shouldn't choose a hospital birth simply for that reason either.

Little privacy? Sure I wouldn't want my ils around when I was giving birth but even they would be better than the complete strangers at the hospital who had their hands in my yoni! Seriously; hospitals are not very private, esp the post partum rooms.

I tried very hard not to sound snarky but this article was just too much. Its very close to sounding like it was written by an OB.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#35 of 40 Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Good job, mamas! Go check the article again - it's totally different. Only the 3 reasons why remain, and none of the reasons why not.
#36 of 40 Old 12-11-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInFlux View Post
Good job, mamas! Go check the article again - it's totally different. Only the 3 reasons why remain, and none of the reasons why not.
Thats good to know! !!
#37 of 40 Old 12-11-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'mmykid'$mom View Post
I thought the problem was that the article listed those circumstances under "Reasons not to have a Homebirth" instead of "Circumstances under which it may be difficult to find attendant for your Homebirth". I think it would actually be helpful to at least mention UC because, like homebirth, the possibility doesn't cross the mind of most women.
Yeah that's true, the title didn't really describe the article very well. The title should be about birth attendents if the content is about birth attendents.

Single mom of 2 boys
#38 of 40 Old 12-11-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInFlux View Post
Yay!

(Maybe they're editing the other list from 11 items, 10 of which amount to "not being able to find a provider" to 1. Not being able to find a provider and 2. Having a medical condition which makes hospital monitoring a priority.)
#39 of 40 Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 AM

Quite a few posts have been removed for MDC User Agreement Violations. Arwyn and I aren't in the loop about website or editorial issues, so if you have concerns about content, please do contact Mothering, rather than negatively speculating further here on MDC. You are free to discuss the article, I would just ask that you assume positive intent.

Here is MM/MDC contact information:

http://www.mothering.com/sections/ab...ontact_us.html

Please feel free to contact me or Arwyn via PM with any board concerns or questions

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#40 of 40 Old 12-13-2006, 12:36 AM

Hi mama's, we spoke with Peggy and she asked that we edit the article because it was taken out of context from the article. She agreed that it was not presented well. Thank you for bringing this to our attention .

I'll go ahead and lock this because we have resolved the issue. In the future, if you find something that doesn’t sound right on the site, feel fee to email our webmaster at [email protected] or one of the administrators and we'll be happy to look into the matter for you. We don't read every thread on MDC and important issues like this can get missed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page