WOW! I'm suprised this is a Mothering article! Crummy! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.mothering.com/community_t...homebirth.html

Really, I am shocked this came from Mothering...reasons to avoid homebirth...twins, VBAC, etc etc etc

I was really suprised by most of them actually. What do you think?
#2 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 01:05 AM

Well, to be fair, the reason they included those things was because you may be unable to find someone to attend the homebirth, not because they are unsafe.

Quote:
* You know you are having twins. Most midwives are not willing to try to deliver twins at home.

* You have had a previous cesarean. Depending on the standard of care in your area, it may be difficult to find a birth practitioner to attend a homebirth after a cesarean.
#3 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

You may have to look harder to find a provider, but they certainly are not reasons NOT to homebirth, which is what the section was called.

Also, the majority of MW's I know have no issue with either of those situations. It is certainly possible to have a homebirth and I would hate to see someone read this article and automatically assume they can't HB because they have had a surgical birth or are having twins.

The majority of items on the list were not reasons I would consider birthing in a hospital.

Just not at all what I would expect from Mothering
#4 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 01:17 AM

I think it's pretty silly. Most of the reasons "not to" are totally bizarre.
#5 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
I think it's pretty silly. Most of the reasons "not to" are totally bizarre.
ITA - Thats why I posted that question about renting and HB!
#6 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 02:44 AM

I thought MDC was pro-unassisted birth? The reasons they listed "not to"--many of them are very anti-UC...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#7 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 02:47 AM

Wierd....it's almost like it was writting by a formula company.....
Carla
#8 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 02:56 AM

Yep, the midwives I used do vbac and twins. ITA its really pretty focused on the negative. It's much easier at a glance to quickly "get" why *not* to have a homebirth that why to have a homebirth. Weird.
#9 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else feel like writing to the author? After a quick glance I didn't see one, but I;m sure it would be easy to find.

Something to add to tomorrows to do list.
#10 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 03:46 AM

Wow, so according to this article, I have three reasons to not to a homebirth: The nearest hospital is an hour away (2 hours if you want to go to a good one), I have a history of preterm labor contractions (both kids waited until 37 weeks, thank goodness), and our insurance won't cover the cost of a midwife (yep, all out of pocket for us : ).

At first glance, this article appears to be much more anti-hb than pro-hb. There are so many many more reasons *to* homebirth that aren't mentioned. Off the top of my head: My daughter didn't have to have a babysitter, she wasn't surprised by mommy leaving for 3 days and coming back with a new baby, dd got to bond with ds right away, there's no visiting hours at home so they can't make hubby go away, there's no nursery to whisk the baby away to, you can nurse right away more easily, there's actually somebody (or two or three) to help you to the bathroom or shower postpartum, you can monopolize the shower/tub (at our hospital, it's one bathroom per 2 l/d rooms), the food's better, you can get food when you want it, you don't have to listen to the floor polishers at 2 in the bleepin' a.m., you don't have to deal with your roomies entire extended family trooping past your bed to visit her (after you finally got to sleep for the first time in 48 hours).... I'm sure there are many more. Maybe we all should write a rebuttal article and send it in

Kristin
#11 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 04:19 AM

I knew of a group of mothers in UT who deliberately tried to see how many of these contraindications to homebirth they could personally beat. The list they had included having children too close together in time and having babies too small.
#12 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 03:05 PM

Most of the "reasons not to choose homebirth" are actually "reasons you might have to work your off to be able to have a homebirth"
#13 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 03:09 PM

I thought the one about renting or subleasing was pretty crazy. It may not have been my own home but I felt a whole lot more at ease in my little one bedroom apartment than I would have in a hospital. :

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#14 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 03:12 PM

It doesn't appear to me to be Mothering's opinions about why a woman shouldn't have a home birth but a list of reasons women choose not to have a home birth. Big difference.
#15 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 03:39 PM

I know when I first heard about Mothering, I checked them out and they were very anti-UC. I was hoping that by the Mothering.com message board having a UC forum, this had changed.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#16 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 04:39 PM

bleeding during pregnancy? ooopss....shouldn't have had a homebirth then!

:
#17 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 05:20 PM

I frankly think all births should be at home.

Even c-secs. Doctors would actually have to talk to their patients and listen to what they say if this happened. But it won't.

But the docs like their own turf.
#18 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
You live more than 30 minutes away from a hospital.
This is a good reason to have a home birth. I don't think it's a good idea to spend a long time in the car during labor - restricted movement, etc.

Quote:
You have a pre-existing medical condition, such as diabetes, epilepsy, anemia or high-blood pressurethat makes it advisable to plan on a hospital birth right from the start.
I don't know enough about these to respond. Maybe those are good reasons for a hospital birth, or maybe not.

Quote:
During pregnancy, if you have bleeding, premature labor contractions, high blood sugar, protein in your urine.
Well, I had bleeding. Also, every woman I asked also reported bleeding during their pregnancies (my mother; my aunt; my mother's best friend; my own friend; and my mother's friend AND her TWO daughters).

Full blown premature labor is, to me, a reason to transfer. But having contractions is not IMHO a reason to quit homebirth.

Quote:
You are not in generally good health, smoke heavily or are extremely overweight.
I do think smoking heavily is a good reason to ensure your baby has access to medical equipment. I don't know about being extremely overweight.

Quote:
You know you are having twins. Most midwives are not willing to try to deliver twins at home.
This is possibly an obstacle to finding a midwife, but not a reason to not have a home birth.

Quote:
You have had a previous cesarean. Depending on the standard of care in your area, it may be difficult to find a birth practitioner to attend a homebirth after a cesarean.
Planning a VBAC is a very good reason to home birth. Also, another possible obstacle to locating a midwife, but not a reason to not have a home birth.

Quote:
You are renting or sub-leasing a home, you don’t feel it is comfortable enough right now, or you don’t like the environment.
Renting or sub-leasing is not a reason to not have a home birth. Not liking the environment is a good reason to locate your home birth elsewhere, such as your mom's house, your midwife's house, a friend's house, a hotel. The author actually added in the first paragraph that a home birth is not necessarily in YOUR HOME.

Quote:
There is very little privacy where you live or you live with people, such as housemates or in-laws, whom you would rather not be with during the actual birth. If you think you will feel uncomfortable in any way, it’s worth considering another option.
Why does another option have to be a hospital birth or birthing center? Once again, the author pointed out that locations other than the woman's home can still be used for a home birth.

Quote:
You are unable to find a practitioner who is willing or able to assist you in a homebirth.
I didn't know a practitioner was a requirement for a homebirth. This is a good reason not to have one IF you are uncomfortable without a practitioner, sure. But, this sentence made a lot of assumptions there.

Quote:
You feel so insecure about the concept of homebirth that you feel you will be unable to relax or feel safe during the birth.
This is a darn good reason to not have a home birth. I'm totally in agreement with this one.

Quote:
Your insurance will not cover the cost of a midwife or doctor unless you are in a hospital and you can not afford other choices.
Totally stupid. My insurance did not cover mine. I saved. This is a good reason to PLAN AHEAD and SAVE and WRITE YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY, etc. Also, a UC is darn inexpensive, though I would NOT recommend someone have one purely for financial purposes.

So - yeah, I'm quite disappointed with this article. Where can we complain?

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#19 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 06:54 PM

Most of the "reasons not to choose homebirth" are actually "reasons you might have to work your off to be able to have a homebirth"

LOL!!!
#20 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Totally stupid. My insurance did not cover mine. I saved. This is a good reason to PLAN AHEAD and SAVE and WRITE YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY, etc. Also, a UC is darn inexpensive, though I would NOT recommend someone have one purely for financial purposes.
Also everyone I know personally who used mws ended up doing payment installments. I don't know of anyone who just has 2000-4000$ to just hand over for services.
#21 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 08:26 PM

I'm actually keeping an eye on this thread, and have raised the issue of the article with the higherups. I believe it's a direct quote from "Having a Baby, Naturally" by P. O'Mara, but I don't have my copy with me, so I can't check. But your comments have already started moving up the channels.
#22 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 09:45 PM

I think maybe it could have been worded a little better, rather than including them as reasons to avoid it just classifying them as reasons why it might be hard to find a midwife (or perhaps...situations where one may just need to UC? )

laohaire ....

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#23 of 40 Old 12-09-2006, 11:30 PM

i birthed at a free standing birth center, b/c i just wasnt comfortable at home. but reading that article really surprised me. there are more reasons not to birth at home than to birth at home. i would have never considered a home birth if not for finding mothering.

of course, i would have never considered a lot of things if not for finding mothering.

how things change.
#24 of 40 Old 12-10-2006, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
I'm actually keeping an eye on this thread, and have raised the issue of the article with the higherups. I believe it's a direct quote from "Having a Baby, Naturally" by P. O'Mara, but I don't have my copy with me, so I can't check. But your comments have already started moving up the channels.
Thanks you for looking in to this for us!
#25 of 40 Old 12-10-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post
I think maybe it could have been worded a little better, rather than including them as reasons to avoid it just classifying them as reasons why it might be hard to find a midwife (or perhaps...situations where one may just need to UC? )
Agreed. Had it been titled "possible barriers to homebirth" or "common reasons to consider other birthing options" the list would have been significantly less disturbing. (At least to me!)
#26 of 40 Old 12-10-2006, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
I believe it's a direct quote from "Having a Baby, Naturally" by P. O'Mara, but I don't have my copy with me, so I can't check. But your comments have already started moving up the channels.
OK, but is it taken out of context? This article mentioned 3 reasons to HB and 11 reasons not to, but were these reasons expanded upon in the original text, in a more accurate (ie, these are reasons some women choose not to HB, rather than reasons one CAN'T HB?)

I just looked around in the "parenting toolbox" and found similar checklists for "why to choose/not choose a hospital birth" and "why to choose/not choose a freestanding birth center." All of them have about the same pro/con ratio as the HB article.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#27 of 40 Old 12-10-2006, 02:50 AM

Hmmm. Most of those are reasons I would homebirth, and teach others to, ANYWAY! For many women, a homebirth is the ONLY way they will ever have a chance at a truly normal birth, and with the hospitals/docs moving rapidly toward 50% c/s rates(read the latest comments on OBGYN list -excerpts by Gloria Lemay) there is all the more reason to keep our bodies away from people who would tell us they are helping us, and are hurting us instead. Mothering magazine should either write a retraction, or rewrite the article to be more accurate- Shame on them!!!!
Here is the excerpt(with internal link to the OB-GYN site):

Quote:
text removed by moderator: copyright concerns
http://www.mothering.com/mdc/copyright_concerns.html
#28 of 40 Old 12-10-2006, 07:42 PM

Actually, I'm livid.
Firstly, UK studies show that a mother who has booked a homebirth but transfers to hospital during her labour is much, much less likely to have a c-section or an adverse outcome than a mother who never considered outside the hospital.
Renting? What's that got to do with anything? It's suggesting that HB is just for the nice middle classes.
Weight? Have we got references to support the assumption that obesity risks people out of HB?
There are many, many countries worldwide where legalities are not a barrier to homebirth (australia, the UK but particularly Norway and Sweden) and all of them have significantly lower c-section rates, lower mortality rates and higher breastfeeding rates than the US. Something to be considered.
Oh, and the article didn't mention breastfeeding- one damn good reason to stay away from hospital.
(Plus The Farm was in Tennessee last time I read about it. Did it move?)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#29 of 40 Old 12-11-2006, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mothering owes its readers a retraction, sincere apology, and a factual article.
#30 of 40 Old 12-11-2006, 12:06 PM

I didn't read all the responses, but the article is obviously written for women who are choosing attended homebirths, not for those choosing a UC. Not all women want a UC, so it's good for them to know they might not be able to find a homebirth attended under XYZ circumstances. Telling them, "You can still have a UC" isn't helpful if they are really uncomfortable with the idea of UC. Obviously they can still have a UC under any and all circumstances, since when you have a UC you don't even have to tell anyone about it, but that's not the subject of this article because not every woman wants that. I thought it was a good article for the specific audience of attended homebirthing moms.

Single mom of 2 boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page